test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Yay, we won! And Sela doesn't get locked up for war crimes! Wait, what?

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    dheffernandheffernan Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    huskerklg wrote: »
    Again interesting moral relativism. Tell that to those in jail for manslaughter.

Gladly, since even involuntary manslaughter requires a degree of mens rea.

@Venture-1. @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that. Yes, that Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. You'll have to be specific; for me it was Tuesday.
  • Options
    vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited September 2015

Haha, no. Some smarmy Vorta would say:

"While we deeply sympathize with Empress Sela's predicament, she has committed no crimes against the Dominion and we have no obligations to her. And as the Dominion has no judicial authority on this side of the wormhole, her fate is clearly for the alpha quadrant alliance to decide. In the spirit of friendship and co-operation, we remand custody of Sela to the Romulan Republic and recognize their authority in this matter. In these trying times, it is good to be working once again with our dear friends in the alpha quadrant."

I doubt very much the Dominion showed up just because Sela asked them nicely and started spreading fears of an Iconian invasion. She must have made some under the table deals with them. So they would be obligated to help her if she was going to make good on what ever concessions she made to get them to show up.

Also Sela herself said she always keeps a back door there's no way she walked into the heart of the federation without an escape plan in place.

Post edited by vonhellsting on
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User

"While we deeply sympathize with Empress Sela's predicament, she has committed no crimes against the Dominion and we have no obligations to her. And as the Dominion has no judicial authority on this side of the wormhole, her fate is clearly for the alpha quadrant alliance to decide. In the spirit of friendship and co-operation, we remand custody of Sela to the Romulan Republic and recognize their authority in this matter. In these trying times, it is good to be working once again with our dear friends in the alpha quadrant."
    I instinctly read this in Weyoun's voice. My instincts were right.

2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    vonhellstingvonhellsting Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    Why not? The invasion was very real.

It's already stated by Sela that they were not very open to negotiating with her and I quote "I was impressed with the strength and ferocity of their warriors. Now I'm in awe in the labyrinth that keeps you from seeing their leaders."
    She must have offered something to get her foot in the door so to speak they clearly were not interested in talking with her.
    The Dominion have never been very generous we've seen it countless times before where they offered something with a deceptive smile but intend to take everything in return.

To make a deal, you have something to offer. The only thing Sela could possibly offer is intel on the Iconians and alpha quadrant powers. If the Dominion really wanted that information, they couldn't be sure of its veracity (because this is Sela we're talking about) without a proper interrogation and mind probing which they undoubtedly have the methods for. Even if Sela freely gave accurate information, the Dominion is the kind of power who would use the brain-draining method just to be sure. Sela wouldn't put herself in the position of having her mind dumped into a blender (given that she's done that to her fellow Romulans and knows what it does to them) so she's left with nothing to offer in exchange for her safety.

Hard to say what she might offer , maybe her ties with the Romulan star Empire as a foot hold in the quadrant or maybe some borg technology. I can't say for sure given Romulans aren't exactly the most forthcoming of people.:P
    It won't be the Dominion fleet.

Perhaps not but she will have prepared for treachery all the same better to catch her off guard than walk into well prepared plan and look the fool for trying.
    The Lobi Crystals are Faaaakkkkee!
  • Options
    valoreah wrote: »
    But why should it? It also makes absolutely zero sense that knowing what we now know, our Captains, Sela and Kragan couldn't travel back to that same point in time again and alter events so that Romulus isn't destroyed.

Is the Krenim ship only 1 use?​​

If there isn't some kind of "temporal censorship" rule in place preventing you from re-visiting points in time you've already been to then every time you went back to a critical event you'd find fifty copies of yourself trying to fix whatever you got wrong.

No mulligans.
    @Venture-1. @Venture from City of Heroes if you remember that. Yes, that Venture. Yes, I probably trashed your MA arc. You'll have to be specific; for me it was Tuesday.
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    Hard to say what she might offer , maybe her ties with the Romulan star Empire as a foot hold in the quadrant

Too far from the wormhole, and probably not that much space to work with. Plus it risks conflict with the Alpha Quadrant powers when they can blockade the wormhole.
    or maybe some borg technology. I can't say for sure given Romulans aren't exactly the most forthcoming of people.:P

Assuming the Dominion is crazy enough to TRIBBLE around with Borg tech.
  • Options
    We went back in time to an event that we supposedly were involved in and there were no copies of us there already.​​

Because we only went back once.
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited September 2015

Well no, we didn't. We had already went back in time to that very same point. There's nothing stopping us from doing it again.​​
    Appearently there is, because there were no other copies of us on ancient Iconia and nobody stopped Sela from running amok.

2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    Well no, we didn't. We had already went back in time to that very same point. There's nothing stopping us from doing it again.​​

No, we had not "already" gone back. We went back once. That means there is one instance of Team Hail Mary in the past.
    Post edited by dheffernan on
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    qcmgj.jpg
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    lordinsanelordinsane Member Posts: 274 Arc User
    But why should it? It also makes absolutely zero sense that knowing what we now know, our Captains, Sela and Kragan couldn't travel back to that same point in time again and alter events so that Romulus isn't destroyed.

Is the Krenim ship only 1 use?​​
    No, just believed to be subject to pre-destination paradoxes, as the characters discussed after the Iconians left Iconia. As weird as it might appear, from the perspective of the characters the fact that Romulus is destroyed is proof the Krenim timeship travel method will not be used to alter events so that Romulus isn't destroyed.
    It's already stated by Sela that they were not very open to negotiating with her and I quote "I was impressed with the strength and ferocity of their warriors. Now I'm in awe in the labyrinth that keeps you from seeing their leaders."
    She must have offered something to get her foot in the door so to speak they clearly were not interested in talking with her.
    The Dominion have never been very generous we've seen it countless times before where they offered something with a deceptive smile but intend to take everything in return.
    Well, the final message was Sela indicating that she was being attacked. Presumably Heralds showing up attacking something in Dominion space would be seen as an argument for Sela's cause.