test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What do you think of a STO 2/ sequel?

For the sake of augment let's say it starts production now and finishes in 2017-18 with updated graphics, engine and more capabilities,

What would you like to see in a sequel and would you enjoy it?

I would like:
2 fractions with different story all the way through.
Make your own ship with expanded colours and use any parts you like, you would unlock parts when you rank up.
Better levelling, too 100 with more ranks like every 15 levels or somthing.
Diplomatic and exploration areas as well as combat.
Better foundry and level creator.
Expanded ground combat with different skins for weapons etc.
More customisation alien wise, even though it still pretty good.
Better bud, sometimes it's a it weird.
Good PvP and expanded PvE modes which change each time in a small way.

Comments

• soundwisdomsoundwisdom Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    A different parent company and development studio.
  • ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    I was a great fan of Guild Wars 1. And they made Guild Wars 2, which was supposed to be a vastly enhanced version of the game. And what did we have ? A vastly less interesting game. Beautiful, for sure, but way less interesting. So no, i don't want a STO 2. Especially with what it means in terms of STO 1 maintenance, upgrades and additions (= less and less) during the development process of STO 2.
    signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,461 Community Moderator
    I guess we were due for this to rear up again so...

doodle__not_this_TRIBBLE_again_by_prdarkfox-d8ypxo6.png

I'm going to have to say No.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    Why?

I wouldn't mind a ground combat 3.0 or a UI overhaul or alternate control scheme designed to bring keybinds into the hands of the casual player more.

I just don't see the point. Any dollar Cryptic could invest into a STO 2 would probably be better invested in STO.

And any dollar another company could put into a STO 2 would be better spent on another Star Trek game.

I think the wide open areas for development would be a MOBA, a fighting game (which would be interesting either way you slice that: as a brawler with signature moves or a "Tekken with ships" approach), or a "ship life" simulator game.

I don't think there's ever been an IP that needed two MMOs or that STO fundamentally has anything that needs re-engineered. STO just needs polish, streamlined systems, and more content. And believe it or not, a new game would be slower at those things than STO is right now.
  • sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

In fairness, this is the first I've seen a thread along these lines since I started about two years ago.

I like the idea that STO 2 would give us a shot at a new, more versatile engine, but I dislike everything else such a change implies. A lot of the flaws highcommand5 wants corrected could be accomplished with the existing game (if not necessarily in the immediate future), and therefore without effectively costing the existing playerbase everything we've accomplished (or purchased) thus far.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,461 Community Moderator
    I've seen a few crop up every once in a while. I've been playing since just before F2P, and these things usually devolve into "This game is doomed, time to start thinking of a sequel" instances.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • banatinebanatine Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    If i were making an STO2, i would probably remove the klingon and romulan factions entirely. Oh, still have them in the game... but just use tem the same was that Guild Wars 2 did. Where each race has their own set of personal story arcs that gradually all taper into a single central plot.

But i do agree that a general game engine improvement would be welcome. It could provide a fantastic opportunity to truly differentiate the ship classes. Right now, the separations are rather superficial. and Power levels are a joke, blah blah blah...

Real Temporal Operative: Purchased the Special Temporal Agent pack before it was even officially announced!
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User
    Make it a combination of Star Trek Bridge Commander and Elite: Dangerous and I'm in. Star Trek without commanding from the bridge loses a lot of that Star Trek feel.
    Make it a combination of Star Trek Bridge Commander and Elite: Dangerous and I'm in. Star Trek without commanding from the bridge loses a lot of that Star Trek feel.

I disagree. The Elite Force games were FPS games and still felt Star Trek. The Armada games felt like you were commanding a fleet. The Starfleet Command games and Legacy felt like Star Trek...

And I still do not see the appeal of Elite: Dangerous. What's so special about it besides being an online version of Wing Commander Privateer?
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    For the sake of augment let's say it starts production now and finishes in 2017-18 with updated graphics, engine and more capabilities,

I would like:
    2 fractions with different story all the way through.
    Make your own ship with expanded colours and use any parts you like, you would unlock parts when you rank up.
    Better levelling, too 100 with more ranks like every 15 levels or somthing.
    Diplomatic and exploration areas as well as combat.
    Better foundry and level creator.
    Expanded ground combat with different skins for weapons etc.
    More customisation alien wise, even though it still pretty good.
    Better bud, sometimes it's a it weird.
    Good PvP and expanded PvE modes which change each time in a small way.

1) First off, do not call them fractions. I generally hate that term used. It's faction, end of story. That said, we do need to have each side having their own storyline, but with some bits tossed in for the opposite faction that tells us what's going on with their end i.e. players learn about Torg's discommendation on the Federation side, and take part in the battle for New Romulus, but you don't really get a sense of what the federation is up to on the Klingon side, nor do they do anything remotely close to the Feds for the Romulans.

2) They have a name for this and it's called Kitbashing. The only way it truly works is if they spend the time making skeleton models for every possible combination, something that takes time to do.

3) What would ranks every 15 levels even look like? I think I have an idea and feel free to disagree with me if you don't like it.

Starfleet: Start at Cadet and upon reaching end of tutorial, graduate to Enisgn (Lv. 1-15), Lieutenant (16-30), Lt. Commander (31-45) Commander (45-60), Captain (60-75) and from Level 76 to 100 would be the Admiral ranks?

Klingon: Start at Cadet (?) and go through a similar level up system, only reaching General instead.

4) Diplomacy would only be flavorful for the Federation. Klingons would need something else, though Exploration would benefit both.

5) Needs to be a good priority, as the foundry has potential.

6) Not really sure if I'd like this one really.

7) Alien customization should be exactly what we want to create. If I want my alien to have scales and a tail, let me have it! If I want a furry alien distinct from Catians, let me have it!

8) Not sure what you meant by bud.

9) PVP does need to also be a priority, but there needs to be some balance so that everyone has a fair chance in battle. PvP as it stands now is a joke since those who can toss money to get good stuff usually win.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    sirmayday wrote: »

In fairness, this is the first I've seen a thread along these lines since I started about two years ago.

I like the idea that STO 2 would give us a shot at a new, more versatile engine, but I dislike everything else such a change implies. A lot of the flaws highcommand5 wants corrected could be accomplished with the existing game (if not necessarily in the immediate future), and therefore without effectively costing the existing playerbase everything we've accomplished (or purchased) thus far.

The game engine here (and most modern game engines) is made up of modular chunks of scripts and modular engines.

They use, for example, DDS files with light mapping for the graphics, FMOD audio engine, LUA scripts for UI, I think. You could replace out every ability in the game and how they're processed server side and that wouldn't take an all new engine, just a lot of work. If you dislike, for example, control responsiveness, what you're asking for is to ditch LUA, not a sequel or a new engine.

Although Lua's fine, really. If you switch to Python or something, you're going to increase the cost of bugfixes/balance passes/updates. Maybe the C-coded (they use C, not C++) Lua interpretor could stand a pass. Or maybe you want abilities to trigger differently.

That's not even a different engine though. Just a different design. And then, if you can be specific about what you'd like, maybe it could work here. If not, it's a cost issue and a new game would be an even bigger cost.
  • littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    I'd like to see a different spin on the universe that we already know. Instead, we keep getting new versions of the same general story we already know. STO was fine for taking us beyond what was going on in the Next Generation. But since then it's tried to be both its own thing and something completely different, almost as if it's a hydra trying to appease all of its heads. I would really like to see something done without a constant reminder of "give us some money". That gets old really, really fast. I'm a lifetime player who buys a lot of stuff in the game; I still feel like someone's always standing behind me with his hand held open for a gratuity.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • uryenserellonturyenserellont Member Posts: 858 Arc User

I disagree. The Elite Force games were FPS games and still felt Star Trek. The Armada games felt like you were commanding a fleet. The Starfleet Command games and Legacy felt like Star Trek...

And I still do not see the appeal of Elite: Dangerous. What's so special about it besides being an online version of Wing Commander Privateer?

I don't really play Elite anymore but it does a good job of simulating space travel and the three dimensional nature of space. This game never even came close to it.

And for a MMORPG I prefer the gameplay of Bridge Commander over FPS gameplay or indeed what we have now in STO. It would be more of a simulation then. Sitting in your captain's chair, issuing orders to your boffs at their stations, walking around your ship, a lot of missions taking place on your ship etc.

Hell I'll just take a modern version of Bridge Commander with 2015 graphics and sound.

I guess I prefer the more active style we have now over just "Giving orders". Then again I never played Bridge Commander. The CLOSEST I can compare to is probably Starfleet Academy.
  • highcommand5highcommand5 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    By bud I mention HUD blame iPad

I didn't realise you could update the engine without changing the game so that's my main point gone

I was saying really that this would be a new start from sto so things could be done right which were done wrong.

• bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    Just one word about this...

NO!​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • anonymous#2527 anonymous Member Posts: 10 New User
    Not by this company. STO was made out to be a Sandbox game by Jack Emmert, he really hyped it up. When the game was finally open for Beta testing, a lot of folks was sadly disappointed...including myself. This game in comparison to what it could have been is completely horrible.

If another Star Trek MMO is created, I don't want PW or Cryptic to have their hands anywhere near it. They had really good potential with this license and the completely blew it. So no, no STO 2....ever. A new Star Trek MMO, made by a company that knows how to make the game what it should have been all long and make it a Sand Box...yes...but no STO 2.
  • cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    Not by this company. STO was made out to be a Sandbox game by Jack Emmert, he really hyped it up. When the game was finally open for Beta testing, a lot of folks was sadly disappointed...including myself. This game in comparison to what it could have been is completely horrible.

If another Star Trek MMO is created, I don't want PW or Cryptic to have their hands anywhere near it. They had really good potential with this license and the completely blew it. So no, no STO 2....ever. A new Star Trek MMO, made by a company that knows how to make the game what it should have been all long and make it a Sand Box...yes...but no STO 2.

RockStar games? Grand Theft Starship, where you beat the Orions for their money?
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    I was a great fan of Guild Wars 1. And they made Guild Wars 2, which was supposed to be a vastly enhanced version of the game. And what did we have ? A vastly less interesting game. Beautiful, for sure, but way less interesting. So no, i don't want a STO 2. Especially with what it means in terms of STO 1 maintenance, upgrades and additions (= less and less) during the development process of STO 2.

Agreed. This.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1

Im not even willing to discuss this topic unless 1)Neither Cryptic nor PWE have anything to do with it. 2)We throw out everything STO1 (ie totally original plot and backstory etc)

Preferrably a company with quality writers, perhaps Bethesda or EAware(bioware) tho I am loathe to utilize either for a variety of reasons.
    No factions in the sense of some BS red vs blue vs green vs puce vs whatever. Give everyone their own identity, even if you use the same meta plot, allow each group or race to approach it in their own way.
    Loose the fed only development bias.

Personally I'd like to see the United Federation of Planets, Klingon Empire, Romulan Star Empire, Gorn Hegemony/Confederacy, and Tholian setup for player starting origins.... prolly spoonheads too(cardassians) since they are so popular for whatever reason. But it could also be very cool to play a non-affiliated character. Sure you're a Gorn but you own your own ship and aren't military. I'd also love to see the universe be a little more open to non-combat ideas. Some people like to grab a freighter and make buckets of cash, grab those rare and super rare items and sell them for a king's ransom... others like to be the one making those items. Some want to pew pew. Borrow from SWG people, its still alive in emulator form for a reason. It still has a huge base of fans that want it back or a SWG2 for a reason. Learn from that... stop trying to be WoW 2.0, make something different/new
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo1_400.gif
    tacofangs wrote: »
    STO isn't canon, and neither are any of the books.
    @cidjack

I was thinking more along the lines of Daybreak. After seeing what they are doing with EQ Next, I would love to see what they could do with a Star Trek License.
  • ladytiamat666ladytiamat666 Member Posts: 276 Arc User

@cidjack

I was thinking more along the lines of Daybreak. After seeing what they are doing with EQ Next, I would love to see what they could do with a Star Trek License.

Wonderful devs. I'm a former DCUO player, and i've been impressed by the level of communication on the forums and the fact that these devs communicate with their playerbase on new game systems BEFORE they start the programing process (sure, they have an idea on how they want to build them, but they're very open to suggestions).

signature%201.jpg_zpsklpuyd7v.png
  • simeion1simeion1 Member Posts: 898 Arc User
    Three top things, need to happen.
    Holy trinity, bring class balance and dps in check ( will never happen under Gecko as lead designer.)
    This would fix most of sto by its self.
    320x240.jpg
    [quote] @ladytiamat666 said:

Wonderful devs. I'm a former DCUO player, and i've been impressed by the level of communication on the forums and the fact that these devs communicate with their playerbase on new game systems BEFORE they start the programing process (sure, they have an idea on how they want to build them, but they're very open to suggestions). [/quote]

Where is the thumbs up button when you need one? ;)
  • nebulgamnezarnebulgamnezar Member Posts: 152 Arc User
    will be nice to have a star trek game that look like star cityzen
    [System] Link has been on active duty for 415 days, 23 hours, 9 minutes, 16 seconds.
    [System] Zelda has been on active duty for 126 days, 11 hours, 51 minutes, 48 seconds.

French Canadian
    Agreed, Nebulgamnezar.
  • leceterleceter Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Hell I'll just take a modern version of Bridge Commander with 2015 graphics and sound.

+1 <3
  • makocallowaymakocalloway Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    I'm with rattler on this one
    5rFUCPd.png

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    cidjack wrote: »

RockStar games? Grand Theft Starship, where you beat the Orions for their money?
    Don't be silly.... We're talking about Orions. They're too sneaky for such a crude approach to be effective. If you try the direct approach they'd probably steal your warp core first.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • brian334brian334 Member Posts: 2,214 Arc User
    I'd like to see a game that isn't a clone of so many other games.

Barring that, if the proposed STO2 were simply STO with different stories and gear, then I'd be unimpressed. For all the hate on Gecko or any other designer/developer, somewhere along the way you have to make choices and those choices have consequences. The consequence here is that everyone thinks it would be better to use his idea instead of the one the developers went with.

I, for example, believe that PvP should have been the focus of Season 7, with a complete remake of the rewards system to make PvP attractive to players, and a tier structure that matches players with their peers instead of throwing everyone into a single bag.

My choice was obviously not taken, but I won't go so far as to call the developers names: I'll just say that if a Star Trek based game that supports PvP came along, I'd leave STO in a heartbeat.

So, instead of STO2, I'd like to see Star Fleet Battles Online, I guess, which means STO is secure in its current niche.

Remind me to call FASA. There is still a FASA, isn't there? If not, I bet Steve Jackson holds the license now!
This discussion has been closed.