test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

You have 14 "toons" and complain about getting burnt out....

13»

Comments

• Options
    originalboodahoriginalboodah Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Kevin Dineen, Pat Verbeek, Sylvain Turgeon, and the best name in Hockey, Zarley Zalapski!
    The good old days...
  • Options
    ulukayxulukayx Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    Before F2P, I had 3 Federation, 3 KDF, and 2 foundry characters. T
    Then F2P went live I added 2 mules to help with Fleet grinding.
    Then LoR came and I added 3 Romulans.
    Then Delta Recruiting came and I added a Talaxian.

I'm exhausted, because it literally takes me 16 hours of play time just to do dailies on these characters, and I'm just plain exhausted. And it's the reason why I hate grinding.

Why did this happen, because unlike the original STO system, where you could just hop in whatever character you felt like for the day. After F2P, it became a necessity to grind every day to maintain that character or you fall behind. Grinding Dilithum to buy gear and later upgrade that gear. You had to work on Reputation (which before the sponsorship system, was exhausting), then Cryptic in their infinite wisdom created the Specialization system and "encouraged" you to grind that, else you wasn't as effective in T6 gameplay.

So STO literaly became a job and took away the fun. I have no time to spend in the Foundry because of this. Now some say "delete characters", but would you just throw away months of work to possibly start all over again? So in the end, I might be really stupid, but the next MMO I get myself involved in, I'm sticking to the 1 character.

This is exactly the problem, you force yourself to do something you hate because you believe all the time you invested into the character would go to waste if you stop playing him/her. It's called the "sunk cost fallacy" and MMOs have been specifically designed to evoke that feeling of "If I quit all I did was for nothing" for ages.

You don't need to delete your chars, but have a good look at them and decide if really all of them need to be maxed level with maximum gear. STO isn't really a game that rewards a collection of diverse Builds, and even if, characters are more flexible in the roles they can take than in other games, PvP is hanging on cheap live support and with the trait rework, dedicated ground chars are only needed if you really want to min/max every little number.

There is a huge chance most of your chars will never need to partake in a PvP fight or high level PvE and yes, putting a few chars to the sidelines as dil farmers to only support your main might still feel like abandoning the work invested short term, but you will be happier for it in the long run.

Also, remember, the grind won't end, there will always be a new reputation, a new fleet holding, a new Specialization etc. and while the game might change in the long run, it'll likely be a while. So, if you are not having fun now, you are not going to suddenly have fun next week, month and year and there's plenty of other games, too. ;)
    -
    Join Starfleet,
    Boldly go where no man has gone before,
    Meet interesting new species, and Kill them!
  • Options
    psychoplattpsychoplatt Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    29 chars, all have at least 32 spec Points, 27 of them are t5 in every rep System (just working on the last 2) - grind? No. I just Play the game.
    nice u wasted so much time in your sig - i do not see it anyway :)
  • Options
    borgressistanceborgressistance Member Posts: 268 Arc User
    14 toons, now that is a lot....
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,845 Arc User
    7 that are 50+ and 1 that is almost 50...I don't really play 6 of those 7 anymore except I keep them for something like CC where I can get them each 50k Dilithium.

But I am slowly leveling 2 new characters...but I'm intentionally going at a snails pace because I'm saving up my dilithium and zen for T6 ships for them...between 500 a month and zen prices...maybe I'll have another one to 50 by early to mid 2016 :p
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,498 Community Moderator
    ulukayx wrote: »

I'm exhausted, because it literally takes me 16 hours of play time just to do dailies on these characters, and I'm just plain exhausted. And it's the reason why I hate grinding.

Why did this happen, because unlike the original STO system, where you could just hop in whatever character you felt like for the day. After F2P, it became a necessity to grind every day to maintain that character or you fall behind. Grinding Dilithum to buy gear and later upgrade that gear. You had to work on Reputation (which before the sponsorship system, was exhausting), then Cryptic in their infinite wisdom created the Specialization system and "encouraged" you to grind that, else you wasn't as effective in T6 gameplay.

So STO literaly became a job and took away the fun. I have no time to spend in the Foundry because of this. Now some say "delete characters", but would you just throw away months of work to possibly start all over again? So in the end, I might be really stupid, but the next MMO I get myself involved in, I'm sticking to the 1 character.

This is exactly the problem, you force yourself to do something you hate because you believe all the time you invested into the character would go to waste if you stop playing him/her. It's called the "sunk cost fallacy" and MMOs have been specifically designed to evoke that feeling of "If I quit all I did was for nothing" for ages.

You don't need to delete your chars, but have a good look at them and decide if really all of them need to be maxed level with maximum gear. STO isn't really a game that rewards a collection of diverse Builds, and even if, characters are more flexible in the roles they can take than in other games, PvP is hanging on cheap live support and with the trait rework, dedicated ground chars are only needed if you really want to min/max every little number.

There is a huge chance most of your chars will never need to partake in a PvP fight or high level PvE and yes, putting a few chars to the sidelines as dil farmers to only support your main might still feel like abandoning the work invested short term, but you will be happier for it in the long run.

Also, remember, the grind won't end, there will always be a new reputation, a new fleet holding, a new Specialization etc. and while the game might change in the long run, it'll likely be a while. So, if you are not having fun now, you are not going to suddenly have fun next week, month and year and there's plenty of other games, too. ;)

^This. Exactly. You don't have to max everything on every toon. I have 41 toons with plans for 12 more. I'm not looking to max everything on every single one of them, though. Why that many? Because to me, it's fun. :-)
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    orangeitisorangeitis Member Posts: 5,222 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    29 chars, all have at least 32 spec Points, 27 of them are t5 in every rep System (just working on the last 2) - grind? No. I just Play the game.
    M-my hero. O//////////O
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    dtrekkie wrote: »
    I have to say that while in my opinion, too much repetition is an issue in this game, I am simply baffled by people who say they have 8, 10, 14 or how ever many characters and then complain that the game has burnt them out. All I can think is, "no TRIBBLE..."
    This game used to be alt friendly. With a registration date as old as yours, I would have figured you would know that.
    And by "alt friendly" you apparently mean that alts had nothing to do once reaching 50...
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    I have to say that while in my opinion, too much repetition is an issue in this game, I am simply baffled by people who say they have 8, 10, 14 or how ever many characters and then complain that the game has burnt them out. All I can think is, "no TRIBBLE..."
    This game used to be alt friendly. With a registration date as old as yours, I would have figured you would know that.
    And by "alt friendly" you apparently mean that alts had nothing to do once reaching 50...

I want to make sure you know what I mean by alt-friendly.
    Time invested to feel like progress was made. The more time needed to feel like you are progressing means less time for other alts. Before DR, I could run a single STF and feel like I am progressing. Maybe not as fast as others, but the "feeling" that I accomplished something on the character was there. The time it took to get that feeling was measured in 10's of minutes. Now, I feel that I have to do things for weeks to get that same level of feeling of progress. And that is why I think this is a very alt unfriendly environment now.

Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,498 Community Moderator
    I would say that "alt-friendly" is a matter of personal perception, and depends entirely upon one's personal end goals (if any) that they have for their alts. ;)
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • Options
    sisteric wrote: »
    Time invested to feel like progress was made. The more time needed to feel like you are progressing means less time for other alts. Before DR, I could run a single STF and feel like I am progressing. Maybe not as fast as others, but the "feeling" that I accomplished something on the character was there. The time it took to get that feeling was measured in 10's of minutes. Now, I feel that I have to do things for weeks to get that same level of feeling of progress. And that is why I think this is a very alt unfriendly environment now.
    Well, I can still run an STF, use the marks to queue a rep project, then swap chars... that feels like progression to me.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    Well, I can still run an STF, use the marks to queue a rep project, then swap chars... that feels like progression to me.

Till you have them all done, then what? I had the all the reps done on my main before DR and still felt like I was making progress. Have all the reps that have come since DR done, but now I don't get that feeling of progress like I did before DR.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User

You blame it as a falacy, but it really is the development of a Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. This doesn't happen overnight, this happens gradually over time as new routines are integrated and it builds up over time until people just snap. And I actually blame part of this on peer pressure, such has having to build DPS builds so you can join in STF channels or being pressured to keep that Fleet base progressing. Just ask around with these people with 20+ characters, what are they using them for? Bet 9 out 10 are using them as Dilithium Mules. So whose to blame for that, us or them?

As for myself, I set my limits (to a degree). You mention PvP, well I stopped PvPing before F2P. I don't bother doing PvE Queues anymore (partically because there is nobody to do them with anymore and a certain dev ruining the experience). And I've taken STO breaks (recently playing GTA5). But you shouldn't go shaming people because they developed these habits, instead you should help them get out of such habits. And Cryptic should bear responsibility as well, unless people forget people actually died because they played MMOs too much.

• Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    Having many characters is a necessity in this game due to the daily refinement cap. Right now 1 of my delta recruits has over 100k unrefined dil due to maxing some reputations and completing the Crystalline Event rep project. And soon other characters will be getting T5 in various reputations (32k dil each T5 rep, except Omega which gives 9k).

If I didn't have 15 characters, right now I wouldn't be able to put in 120k dil per day into fleet projects for my Klingon fleet. Hardly anybody else contributes dil to it, and I've pretty been the only one that is actually getting projects filled. (My Klingon fleet is basically a sister fleet to our fed and mainly consists of our alts.) And my Klingon fleet Starbase Military T4 upgrade project has been stagnant for weeks, needing over 1,500,000 dilithium. It's over 500k now but still I'm the only one really contributing dil to it.

I like all of my characters, but some of them I don't care much for. I only keep them around because I need the dil, which usually I get from going through all of them once per day and starting doff assignments.

And of course, aside from fleet projects there's the upgrade system, which I'm holding off on for the time being since all my dil is going into fleet projects. Mainly because it takes hours just to craft enough tech upgrades for a single item. You can only craft 1 superior tech upgrade at a time and you get 2 on a critical success, so with 5 projects slots you can get up to 10 upgrades at a time every 15 minutes. And 10 isn't going to cut it when it winds up taking you 50 or more just to finally get a single item to epic Mk 14 quality.

So who is to blame for all of this? The very people who put this burden of needing tons of dil on us.
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    The majority of my alts get logged in ONCE a day to do doffs, and collect/refine dilly. Other than that I play one main, unless I feel a hankering to play one of my other "themed" alts. They all work, I get more dilly, and they all get levels out of it.
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    Till you have them all done, then what? I had the all the reps done on my main before DR and still felt like I was making progress. Have all the reps that have come since DR done, but now I don't get that feeling of progress like I did before DR.
    Enh.. Except for my delta recruits I've pretty much finished every rep on every character. Now they spend more time collecting stuff for fleet projects.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2015

^This. Exactly. You don't have to max everything on every toon. I have 41 toons with plans for 12 more. I'm not looking to max everything on every single one of them, though. Why that many? Because to me, it's fun. :-)

I agree also, it is unimportant how many characters you have, what is important is how you play them and how much pressure you put on yourself to always have the best of the best and done the most of the most for every single one of them.
    and don't fool yourself into thinking its cryptic or other players or the game itself the only one who makes you grind is you.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    fovrelfovrel Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    You know, I just finished CCA on 8 characters and I didn't mind doing it on several characters. If it is fun, I can do it again and again. What wears me out though is the fact that this event becomes boring, because of game mechanics. The only good thing you can say is that with a good team it is over in minutes. There is no tactic, no strategy, the only thing that counts is dishing out damage, the more the better.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    fovrel wrote: »
    You know, I just finished CCA on 8 characters and I didn't mind doing it on several characters. If it is fun, I can do it again and again. What wears me out though is the fact that this event becomes boring, because of game mechanics. The only good thing you can say is that with a good team it is over in minutes. There is no tactic, no strategy, the only thing that counts is dishing out damage, the more the better.

the trouble is the players get upset if they play and loose, I agree some of the loose conditions in the game were dumb beyond belief but without that win/loose mechanic all we get is just pew pew collect reward, pew pew collect reward and that's what makes it boring.

the devs need to implement loose conditions that are reasonable and fair to make the game more interesting but the only drawback is you might find at times you have to play a CCA again to get the shard you are after but if you want a guaranteed reward you will have to live with the fact that is dishing out damage for a speedy finish is the only random element you will get.

just imagine the three bonus elements of CCA were changed to loose conditions, those being the 2 times loose more then 30% of ships to pulse and the timer, would you be happy to have to replay if any of these conditions were met.
    all you end up with is animosity to other players for loosing the game for you and dead queues like we have now, no point in playing if I might loose and easy level not rewarding enough.
    all you have is players forming private teams with players they know will ensure a win and your back to pew pew collect reward.
    Post edited by bobbydazlers on

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    thenoname711thenoname711 Member Posts: 204 Arc User
    No, I no longer have 14 characters, I have one character and 13 slaves that occasionally grind dilithium for my only character during events. 1,4m of dilithium from this crystalline event says hello. :)
    Gameserver not found.
  • Options
    irm1963irm1963 Member Posts: 682 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    I've got exactly 14 now. I've probably made and deleted at least as many again, although I've settled on particular builds, themes and/or gear for my current stable and haven't any "disposable" ones anymore (I'm sure they're relieved :)). Added or remade the last five during the Delta event, most of which are still running through the story missions as and when I feel like it (two, soon three, have completed all the episodic missions, more than half are L60).

The rest I cycle through as the mood takes me, usually run two or three at a time and switch characters periodically (even during events). I don't even constantly doff with all of them. Usually take breaks from the game for a few weeks if I feel I'm getting burned out a bit, same with all the games I play. I'm in no rush to get them all up to L60 full rep/max specialisation/MkIV everything, or particularly feel the need to do so.
  • Options
    mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    I have five characters.

Three feds, one of each class, a Klingon Eng and a FedAllied Romulan Tac. My three Starfleet characters get the most work, attention, gear and whatnot by far. Its debatable which one is my 'main.' Either the science one or the tac one. My KDF and Romulan characters get played far less often.

Before DR all would get plenty of shared time and attention but now its a bit too much of a grind to do anything more than focus on my Sci and Tac.
  • Options
    laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    If you really say that doing the same PvE things over and over, getting all reps to T5 over and over and over, rinse and repeat the same old stuff you've grown to learn by memory over and over and over and over is "progression", whoa you need to rethink your gaming habits.
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • Options
    zobovorzobovor Member Posts: 198 Arc User
    > goodscotch wrote :
    > the question is...will they ever break the mold so that it can do other things...or will they just keep coming out with a new instance or two every other season

I think at this point , from their point of view -- do they have to do new things ?
    I mean really ?!?

We all know that the new stuff has about a 90% chance to get played & abandoned in favor of the old Borg STF's .

Now I honestly have to wonder here as to how the devs view the abovementioned reality ?
    Do they hate the Borg STF's even more because of their hypnotic effect on the long term player base ?

Or do they view them as a sort of safety net ... -- as in, it really doesn't matter how bad they TRIBBLE up, as there's always the good old Borg stf safety net to rely on ... , 5+ years and counting ... .