test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

is the duty officers assignments rigged ?

4 times now i have done an assignment that had no chance of failuer or disaster,
everything was in success and critical success.
the assignment failed, how can that be with a 0.0% chance of failuer?
success chance 64%, critical success chance 36% and the assignment fails.
is it rigged?

Comments

• rickdankorickdanko Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    I believe, due to rounding, there is that small chance of failure.
    They're not really gone, as long as we remember them
    candle_burning.gif
    Plasma Nugget
    Rayzee
    excellentawesome#4589
    torgaddon101
    raeat

I'm allowed to disagree.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    Never payed much attention to that, but now that you mention it, I'll have a closer look. I usually never use purple DOFFs if there's a 1% chance of disaster, since by the text (casualty risk: low) still sounds like someone could (will) die.

Borticus commented that any DOFF that's green or higher won't die unless there's a red warning text like 'execute mutineers.' I'm not willing to play Russian roulette with very expensive purple DOFFs as there's been fatalities and I'm not sure if they were necessarily common quality. If what you say is true, and if there's bugs in the system, all the more worrying.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • happyhappyj0yj0yhappyhappyj0yj0y Member Posts: 699 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    When green are better have bad things happen, they don't die. They get injured. Essentially they get sent to "med bay" (a special DOff mission you can't cancel) for a few hours and you can't use then until that's over (after which you get some medical xp).

As far as the main topic goes... I think it's like D20. There are different success rates, but even if you technically can't succeed or fail you still succeed or fail if proverbially roll a 20 or a 1.
  • joc#8855 joc Member Posts: 39 New User
    Absolutely and here in Canada we're considering making random outcome microtransactiosns from video games federal incomes so we we can make schools, police stations ans hospitals a reality where neeeded from those revenues. Your addiction helps us prosper.
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    joc#8855 wrote: »
    Absolutely and here in Canada we're considering making random outcome microtransactiosns from video games federal incomes so we we can make schools, police stations ans hospitals a reality where neeeded from those revenues. Your addiction helps us prosper.

Three irrational posts on three topics in one night. It's a trifecta!
    boldly-watched.png
  • humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    I don't think that the assignments are rigged, but after 3 years of doffing over 10 alts nearly every day, I believe that the system cannot be truly random. Not having kept detailed records I can't prove anything, but I have noted on a number of occasions each of the following:
    a) particular 'doff crafting' missions have given the same reward item to several alts.
    b) while doing multiple reputations, drops of BNPs, data cores, etc... either never drop or several alts get them.
    c) "critical successes" that give R or VR doff rewards seem to have a small pool of predetermined doffs, the same ones come round again and again.
    Wish I could back this up with some data, but maybe some other people have noticed this too?
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    It's a computer game, designed around a F2P model...

OF CAUSE it's rigged.
    They'll just stop letting canadians play those games.

In the short run... In the long run, this is being discussed and becoming a more and more popular opinion around the world... Japan has already taken the first steps...

What are they going to do? Stop the world from playing all their games?
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    jbmonroe wrote: »
    joc#8855 wrote: »

Three irrational posts on three topics in one night. It's a trifecta!

I'm fairly sure he got that from the South Park episode. (Warning: probably NSFW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2luhwy3KAE0

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    I will say this. The crit/success chances in R&D works perfectly. I've been complaining since back in season 6 that something got screwed up in the S5 to S6 updates for doff assignments.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Enh... the RNG is fickle and sometimes less random than you would expect, but aside from that... no real issues I've seen.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Never payed much attention to that, but now that you mention it, I'll have a closer look. I usually never use purple DOFFs if there's a 1% chance of disaster, since by the text (casualty risk: low) still sounds like someone could (will) die.

Uncommons, Rares and VRs don't die. They go to sickbay and recover. Commons will die for sure. So you are doing yourself a disservice not using Rares/VRs!

Sometimes I think I play STO just to have something to complain about on the forums.
  • azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    scimitar8 wrote: »
    4 times now i have done an assignment that had no chance of failuer or disaster,
    everything was in success and critical success.
    the assignment failed, how can that be with a 0.0% chance of failuer?
    success chance 64%, critical success chance 36% and the assignment fails.
    is it rigged?

No it's not rigged per se, but the rarer the DOFFs, the better the outcome.

Though since the Sector Revamp, it seems some DOFF missions have a much higher failure rate. Contraband and Dilithum Mine Missions seem to fail more often now. And the new R&D DOFF mission fails often (and talking on multiple characters). While random outcome, some of it seems to be directed towards certain directions.
  • goodscotchgoodscotch Member Posts: 1,680 Arc User
    ...I usually never use purple DOFFs...

If the DOFF isn't Very Rare quality, they're not getting on my ship. And if they do sneak on by chance, maybe through the completion of a DOFF mission, they'll immediately be selected for the next 'Execute for Incompetence' DOFF mission.

klingon-bridge.jpg

• anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    anazonda wrote: »
    It's a computer game, designed around a F2P model...

OF CAUSE it's rigged.

In the short run... In the long run, this is being discussed and becoming a more and more popular opinion around the world... Japan has already taken the first steps...

What are they going to do? Stop the world from playing all their games?

The issue is, you cant win anything of value or any property by 'gambling' in STO.

You don't own any of your stuff in the game, so you aren't actually gambling for anything of value, its like gambling in Fallout: New Vegas or something, or playing a blackjack app on your iphone.

It's a big reason that MMOs don't cede any property interest to you in your virtual stuff.

Repeating it won't change what is eventually coming.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    Hehe.... it'll take a lot of creative writing to come up with laws that regulate financial transactions where three or more countries are involved.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg