test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Butterfly (Dis)continuity

gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
This is something I've speculated about once before, and I was wondering what you guys thought about it...

One of the criticisms (among many) that I've heard about Butterfly has been the apparent illogic in seeming to have progressed through the game and only then create the Sphere Builders. As in, we were from a timeline where the Temporal Cold War never happened yet somehow the Sphere Builders and all of that was canon. It appears to be a nonsensical contradiction. This perception is increased by the discussion in the ending scene suggesting that we are now in an alternate timeline and that nothing else we've done before that point is a part of the new timeline.

But what if instead, the canon, "Prime Universe" version of our toon did NOT fire the weapon--and we learned not to do it because of what an alternate version of us...one for whom the Temporal Cold War was never a reality and thus was more cavalier about time travel than we are...made the mistake of encouraging his/her team to fire the weapon? This universe may have looked a good bit like ours, and we also provoked the Iconians in that universe. But it's not ours.

Under this theory, the prime timeline for our character is NOT one in which we actually fired the weapon. Our timeline--the real timeline--is one with a more careful Department of Temporal Investigations and more respect for the Temporal Prime Directive, and even though we were getting desperate enough to build the Krenim ship, we hesitated and protested just long enough for us to get the temporal core that proved what a disaster the attempt to use the weapon would be.

Unlike Divide et Impera, at least, if you follow this theory, you can assume that a (literally) more ignorant version of your character fired the weapon--one who did not have as good of an understanding of the severity of time travel and whose Starfleet was likely less bothered by it too (because no TCW in that universe). But the true version of your character, the one who is aware of the Temporal Cold War and has been all along--the version you've loved playing in every other mission--never did it, and protested long enough to save his/her team from firing.

It still isn't a perfect solution by any means, but the idea that what we saw was a timeline sans TCW with a more cavalier attitude to temporal manipulation than your canon toon has, rather than being the prime timeline, does help me understand why my character acted in a way that as we know from the canon shown in all five series, was unbelievably rash. Our alternate version is guilty, yes. But it's NOT us and we are not responsible for his/her actions. YOU are the one who stalled, stonewalled, and protested long enough to stop it.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.

Comments

• Options
    cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    Makes a lot more sense than whatever the heck went on in that mission...

I mean, it makes no sense that there is zero consequence in game for all the messed up stuff that went on... You just carry on as normal when you've deleted all kinds of things which would have had consequences.

BUT, if it took place in an alternate timeline then there wouldn't be consequences in the prime timeline.

Off topic: it saddened me so much they whited out the scene as she said "I love you"...
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    cbrjwrr wrote: »

I mean, it makes no sense that there is zero consequence in game for all the messed up stuff that went on... You just carry on as normal when you've deleted all kinds of things which would have had consequences.

BUT, if it took place in an alternate timeline then there wouldn't be consequences in the prime timeline.

Off topic: it saddened me so much they whited out the scene as she said "I love you"...

I'm sure that was the effect they were going for.

If Noye sees that same scene, I bet he turns traitor and goes with the Tuterians/Sphere Buildere. Which may explain the 26th century Sphere Builder ships having front ends that look kind of like Annorax's ship.

As far as my time theory...

It's not exactly that the actions in that timeline had no effect so much as they created the timeline we've spent all the rest of our gaming time in. We can rest easy because the wiser version of our character who knows the full consequences of temporal manipulation stopped the weapon from being fired in the prime timeline.

It's really hard to put that in a way that makes sense though.

We are used to thinking, in a lot of our fiction, according to the trope that the alternate timeline is the meaner, crueler one and the prime timeline is the friendlier one. Even the JJverse is an example of this trope: the JJverse is a meaner universe with stronger weapons and a more militarized Starfleet because of what Nero did, and from the prime universe perspective it's a "corruption" of sorts (though unlike a lot of people that doesn't set me into a raging fury to acknowledge its existence as another Trek).

In this case, I think it's the other way around: the real timeline, the one we've known all this time according to the canon five shows is in fact the meaner, rougher universe that knows temporal war. It's not the presumably happier universe that never knew the Xindi attacks or the Sphere Builders, and thus naively underestimated the consequences of firing Annorax's weapon. Remember too that Annorax never fired his weapon in the prime timeline either and the only reason we know is the Krenim seeing into an alternate timeline. That alternate may was one of the ones with the TCW, though the Krenim didn't recognize that distinction at the time since we know their simulations are far from omniscient.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I'm not sure I'm reading you. Are you saying the Tuterians are the Sphere Builders? (They do look somewhat alike, though in the current timeline they were assimilated out of existence as a species and this can't wage the temporal war).

It's fascinating because the Sphere Builders seem to be in a similar situation to the Solanae. They are both extradimensional species that have a goal of altering normal space so that they can inhabit it to the detriment of the native species. It's a testament to the Iconians technology level that they were going to do it in one shot with a single facility instead of the massive operation that the Sphere Builders had. Even if that facility took centuries to build, the Sphere Builders were a thousand years into their operation when they were hit by Hurricane Archer.

In any event the conclusion of the war with the Sphere Builders would still be a century off. That said, I don't expect to see the Sphere Builders at all. They've already lost their war. The premise of the war with them was that the Delphic Expanse had continued to grow and the Sphere Builders were able to field a full force in our space until they were defeated by Starfleet. With the destruction of their network this has never come to pass. The NX-01 and the Xindi not only defeated them in the past, but in doing so they prevented the war in the future. This timeline should never even see the Sphere Builders.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    There is a theory going on the board that the Tuterians are the Sphere Builders that I find credible based both on their appearance and the appearance of their ships in the 26th century (looks like they are related to the Annorax...so I add to that the idea that we'll see Noye throw his lot in with them). As I understood it, they may not have been assimilated, but failed in their experiments with the Solanae tech such that they got themselves stuck where they can't come back (and are thus still effectively removed from the normal timeline). All we know is their experiment failed. But it could've been an assimilation fail OR an industrial accident like the Solanae's.

Whether or not we see the Sphere Builders in future STO seasons I can't say, as it would depend on whether they try *another* technique to get at the Federation when, as you say, their attempt with the Delta Expanse failed.

• Options
    The timeline of the recovered device has no Tuterians. That may or may not be the same as the timeline of the continuing game.

Clauda. She was stable in our universe; unlike a Sphere Builder. Perhaps, the being assimilated is wrong and they instead did achieve the transcendence, and the blame for disappearance fell in the wrong place? That would lead back to the events of the TCW.

Someone's going to have to replay the mission...
  • Options
    The timeline of the recovered device has no Tuterians. That may or may not be the same as the timeline of the continuing game.

Clauda. She was stable in our universe; unlike a Sphere Builder. Perhaps, the being assimilated is wrong and they instead did achieve the transcendence, and the blame for disappearance fell in the wrong place? That would lead back to the events of the TCW.

Someone's going to have to replay the mission...

That's my thought, that the Tuterians blame the Federation for the misfortune that led them to the dangerous experiments that removed them from normal space. (In my headcanon--perhaps soon to be real canon?--Noye finds out Starfleet and its allies deprived him of having a wife and he goes crazy, finding the the Tuterians and lending all of his knowledge to them to make them such a power in the Temporal Cold War. Again, that explains their ship designs and very Krenim-like way of talking about time in ENT.) As I recall, all we heard Noye say was that the Tuterians has failed and that there are none in this timeline. He didn't say outright "they were assimilated," which I think would've been very much on his mind after seeing the assimilated Romulus.

But my thought is that what we saw is the creation of the prime timeline.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    The issue with that is we know STO timeline up to Butterfly diverged after the destruction of New Romulus.

I don't know, could it treble back on itself in order to work out right? Once through to create the timeline with no Tuterians, 2nd time to create the hypothesised STO timeline, 3rd to diverge into the timeline of prime Trek?

But that would lead to the weapon being fired as a fixed point in time...

Time is difficult.

----

Ok, we know the Tuterians were stable in the timeline shown in Butterfly. If they are the Sphere Builders, they aren't stable in Prime Trek.

I do think this has a much better explanatory power than saying the timeline that recovers the core is Prime/STO Trek.

Ok, pre-Butterfly timeline has Tuterians living in main universe.

I don't know, it sets up a paradox as far as I can see.
  • Options
    The issue with that is we know STO timeline up to Butterfly diverged after the destruction of New Romulus.

I don't know, could it treble back on itself in order to work out right? Once through to create the timeline with no Tuterians, 2nd time to create the hypothesised STO timeline, 3rd to diverge into the timeline of prime Trek?

But that would lead to the weapon being fired as a fixed point in time...

Time is difficult.

My thought is that crazy as it seems, the destruction of Romulus happened in both timelines for similar reasons. This would be a once-in-a-billion sort of odds, amongst all the universes in the multiverse.

• Options
    Or that the destruction of Romulus is a fixed point in time...

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Or that the destruction of Romulus is a fixed point in time...

Now that is slightly hinted at in the episode dialogue, not unlike Annorax's theories in Year of Hell about time fighting against him (crazy as he was).

Ultimately though, part of my reasoning on this theory is that it makes everybody "going YOLO" and rushing headlong into the temporal blunder, including your character and DTI more palatable, on grounds that the "YOLO version" and his/her universe had seen much less of the destructive effects of temporal manipulation, compared to what our true, canon character has seen. That version was far more naive and cavalier than the "you" you've played in every other episode (and the last few minutes of Butterfly).

• Options
    isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Okay, the whole sphere builder thing is speculation at this stage. Cryptic haven't even said it is true, let alone how it will actually fit in with the game so before you've given them a chance to tell their story, perhaps you should be saying how the current speculation makes no sense, rather than attacking Cryptic for your own presumptions?

That being said, the episode is still mental. But I'm going to let them finish their story before I make a final judgement on it.
  • Options
    Yes, there was a distinct lack in that experience; I had wondered if the entire thing was a holodeck sim, it seemed way to gung ho to be normal...
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,845 Arc User
    gulberat wrote: »

If Noye sees that same scene, I bet he turns traitor and goes with the Tuterians/Sphere Buildere. Which may explain the 26th century Sphere Builder ships having front ends that look kind of like Annorax's ship.

Well the Sphere builder ships were just reused models of other Delta Quadrant ships...people seem to forget how that battle was nothing but reused Voyager ship models :p

So honestly there is no real connection to that
  • Options
    lianthelia wrote: »
    gulberat wrote: »

Well the Sphere builder ships were just reused models of other Delta Quadrant ships...people seem to forget how that battle was nothing but reused Voyager ship models :p

So honestly there is no real connection to that

Yeah, that is a good point, you can't really make a call in a tentative case based on ships, canon had them all over the place...
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    I think the ships just don't work properly after the Time War. Their connection to the Eye of Harmony has been severed and the Time Matrix is shot to buggery. They're probably down to running a home grown Eye made out of a sun to force access to the Time Vortex because the Untempered Schism was closed. Oh and then there's those big reaper-bats, they make any timeline alteration difficult due to their habit of eating paradoxes.
    If only the Black and White Guardians were still around, they have this key...​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    Okay, the whole sphere builder thing is speculation at this stage. Cryptic haven't even said it is true, let alone how it will actually fit in with the game so before you've given them a chance to tell their story, perhaps you should be saying how the current speculation makes no sense, rather than attacking Cryptic for your own presumptions?

That being said, the episode is still mental. But I'm going to let them finish their story before I make a final judgement on it.

I fail to see anything that constitutes some sort of attack against Cryptic. That would require me to be offended or angry--and if I were at that stage, I can assure you I would no longer be trying to work out the logic or make it right.

• Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    I still say the weapon-ship is going to get self-erased from history again, so nothing in "Butterfly" ever happened at all.
  • Options
    ilithynilithyn Member Posts: 903 Arc User
    I have only one thing to say to this whole mess, temporal mechanics gives me a migraine and I wish STO would stop with that nonsense.
    Logic is the beginning of wisdom, not the end of it.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    The way I see it
    -We started off in the "prime" timeline.
    -We used the weapon, causing Romulus to be overrun by Borg.
    -We used the weapon again, seemingly putting us back in the prime timeline, except in this case the Tuterians are seemingly destroyed
    -The Tuterian's apparent destruction is actually the result of a failure of Solane technology, similar to that the Solanae suffered themselves in the dyson sphere, which forced the Tuterians into their inter-dimensional "Sphere builder" realm, just as the Solanae were forced into subspace by the Dyson sphere accident.
    -HOWEVER, despite the change in the timeline, we are still in the prime timeline, because said change allowed for the creation of the Sphere Builders, and their interactions in the past in the prime timeline.

In short, it was a predestination paradox, were the prime timeline was destined to be changed, in order to ensure the creation of the sphere Builders we fought in the past.

NOT changing the timeline with the timeship originally would have actually altered the timeline, throwing us out of the prime universe, by preventing the creation of the Sphere Builders. Thus moving us out of the prime timeline into an altered one.

Perhaps so. Not entirely sure it's a full-fledged predestination paradox, but it does make some sense.

At least personally, part of the reason I prefer my own theory is that I feel it better explains the reckless behavior of our toons AND DTI in letting the firing of the weapon go forward. It's easier to think it was a different version of our character, with less understanding of the consequences of timeline alteration, and more naivete, than our normal canon version.
    warpangel wrote: »
    I still say the weapon-ship is going to get self-erased from history again, so nothing in "Butterfly" ever happened at all.

Hmm...that's going to be kind of difficult with the Annorax gamble-ship...

• Options
    mhall85mhall85 Member Posts: 2,852 Arc User1
    Valiant effort, Gul... but, still, I call FOWL. :tongue: The existence of the temporal data core at the end of the episode still mucks things up.

Something I don't know if anyone has thought about... the presence of our ship and Jarok's ship, on top of the weapon ship... if you remember from "Year of Hell," one ship with temporal shielding could SEVERELY THROW OFF temporal calculations... what about TWO ships?

Doesn't necessarily explain away the logic issue you mentioned... but, something to consider, anyway!
    d87926bd02aaa4eb12e2bb0fbc1f7061.jpg
  • Options
    I'm not quite sure I see how the presence of the temporal core is a problem. The way I look at it, it's just a characteristic of the prime timeline: we found out some alternate version of ourselves tried the crazy thing that we (being wiser because of the TCW that happened in our timeline) have been trying to stonewall.

Though you do have a VERY good point IMO about a possible reason why the initial incursion (which I perceive to be from an alternate timeline to the prime one) went so badly wrong. Since Noye and team probably didn't know about Voyager's role in Annorax' temporal hijinks, they wouldn't have known to take that into account.

• Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    I wouldn't think too much on the temporal flaws in this episode, because it's not the first time Cryptic threw the wrench with time travel. Need I remind you of the MAJOR Paradox that was created in "Night of the Comet"?
  • Options
    kayajaykayajay Member Posts: 1,990 Arc User
    29th Century Starfleet has already intervened once, in Temporal Ambassador, so surely they'd pop back in a Wells with all this time manipulation going on? Instead of the stupid Temporal Cold War in Enterprise, why they didn't reuse the 29th Century and the Relativity is beyond me...what a wasted opportunity of a great ship and in favour of a really crappy idea!
  • Options
    ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,571 Arc User
    Well this time it won't be a Wells, it would need to be a T6 version. I guess the Ferengi strip less out of it than with the Wells, or is the T6 from the 30th Century Star Fleet? ;)

This whole Temporal Paradox was covered more succinctly and humorously in The Simpsons Episode from Season 6 - Treehouse of Horror V - Time and Punishment. In that Homer creates a time machine toaster. He keeps going back to pre-historic times and scr*ws up the present. He does this dozens of times. The last one looks normal enough only all the people have lizard tongues. He decides it is close enough and lives with it.

Is that what is in store for us? Close enough but with some subtle differences. Or are we yet to see the full manifestations of what we have done? Or was it all preferable to Kagran throwing away the rest of the Fleets?
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • Options
    laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    The way I see it is that Starfleet broke the Prime Directive.
    They altered the timeline, something they sworn to never, ever do.
    They messed it up, and had to come up with a backup plan to restore it.
    They manage to do that, but in the process a race gets erased.

So... at the end of it, no big deal, iconians still here, story still didn't end, a race no longer exist.
    I couldn't connect the episode to the least bit of Trek. Seriously disappointing.
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • Options
    thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    Time travel is always a tricky subject. One thing we have to remember is that time is not in a straight line. I think time is more like several balls of Christmas tree lights all tangled together in a box. Things will all be tangled and connected in the strangest places and the more you try to unravel it, the more stubborn and convoluted it gets. I also don't believe that threads in time are erased in the traditional sense. I mean if the timeline is changed and they go back to fix it, then that alternate universe doesn't magically disappear. I know they often imply that's what happens but I have to disagree with it. I'll try to provide examples.

Remember when the Voyager was part of a temporal explosion which completely destroyed the Solar System in the 29th century? After a fight in 1996, the Voyager crew was able to prevent that entire incident from happening. However there were certain things which had to continue to exist for various reasons. For one thing, if the Solar System was never destroyed, then Braxton wouldn't have attempted to destroy Voyager. If Voyager didn't resist his attack and the Aeon never went back in time, then there would be no technological boom which gives us our computers today. Elements of that timeline must still exist. The Doctor kept his mobile emitter as well, which means that despite the fact the timeline was changed, they still remember its existence. It's more like the timeline was adjusted, more than it was "erased".

This example is brought up again later when Captain Braxton attempts to destroy the Voyager because they ruined his life. In that episode we see Braxton arrested before he went nuts and yet they still had to deal with Braxton who went nuts. Then after they arrested him a second time after he planted the bomb, they went back and arrested him a third time before he ever planted the bomb. You would think that stopping one Braxton could stop them all, but it's not as easy as erasing parts of time. Instead, every action you take creates different threads which continue to exist and be cataloged. While Janeway was ready to curl up in a fetal position after thinking about time, it's clear that 29th century Starfleet has a better grasp of this concept and they can apparently rejoin or "reintegrate" all these different Braxtons.

Another interesting thing to think about is how one timeline can still be heavily influenced by another. Well, technically I explained that above with the whole Aeon influencing 20th century tech even though the Aeon should never have gone back in time to begin with thing. But another example can be found in the new movies. The Alternate Universe was created in 2233 which means that Star Trek: Enterprise is identical for both the Prime and Alternate universes. Despite the fact that the Alternate Universe would have a completely different 24th century by the time it gets there, the Alternate Universes's past is still influenced by the Prime Universes's 24th century. The Enterprise-E went back in time and destroyed a Borg vessel and assisted humanity's first warp flight. Cochrane's logs of this event still exist in the Alternate Universe, as does the NX-01 fighting remnants of that Prime Borg Sphere. Major events like this are interwoven through both timelines.

Now if I haven't lost anybody, you might be wondering how this ties into what's happening now. Well someone pointed out that the Sphere Builders were mentioned in the timeline where the Tuterians were still a normal people. This doesn't change anything however because the Sphere Builders exist out of time so there is no reason why they couldn't exist in the same universe at the same time. Think of it like Braxton hunting for the guy who destroys Voyager, only to discover that it was him from the future trying to do so. The Tuterians might have been living peacefully as a corporeal species during the events of Enterprise but their future selves still tried to destroy the humans in the 22nd Century. They can't really help that anymore than Braxton could.

I believe this means that the Tuterians existing before and after the temporal incursion means both are still technically the Prime Universe. Everything just had to come full circle in order for it to work. The Tuterians existed as normal people at the same time the Sphere Builders attempted to destroy Earth, but the Tuterians had to be "displaced" in time by our actions in order for all of that to happen to begin with. It's not so much as an alternate universe or anything like that but everything simply coming full circle.
  • Options
    laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    laferrari1 wrote: »
    I couldn't connect the episode to the least bit of Trek. Seriously disappointing.
    Uhh... did you miss all the episodes in every series where a captain broke the prime directive?

It happened like 3 times a show.

It's a rinse and repeat here. I had enough of the whole story of messing up the timeline and a storyline that has now become linear.
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.