test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The comeback to STO enticement package

Comments

• thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    I did not make the move over here to Vanilla until lately. I have started bothering again with these forums over the past week. I am beginning to see once again why I probably should be some place other than here. Any place other than here.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    Huh I've only been gone a few weeks taking one of my semi-regular breaks from STO. I was very surprised to receive this 'enticement package.'

Okay maybe it was closer to a month. Still, thank you Cryptic.

And..... it worked. I'm starting to play STO again.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    I hope it works and they do come back.

*SINGS*

"Welcome back
    Your dreams were
    Your ticket out
    Welcome back
    To that same old place
    That you laughed about

Well, the names
    Have all changed
    Since you hung around
    But those dreams
    Have remained and
    They've turned around..."
  • shahademshahadem Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Ugh, so I just recently started playing again and bought a T6 ship. It turns out that had I waited a month, I could have gotten a free T6 ship. I see what you did there Arc games.

I don't play enough to get most of the free stuff (including the free ships, and even if I did play every single day I still wouldn't be able to get them because having to repeat the same exact set of activities every single day for 20+ days is a job and completely negates the point of a game as a place to go to relax after leaving work for the day), and I play too much to get the offers to return to STO. So I get nothing and that isn't fair.
  • kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    Free stuff is nice, no arguments from me there. What I would have believed to be more effect method is how the game has change or been upgraded or what they've added & fixed etc. to give me a reason to come back because obviously, I left as I was no longer happy with the state of the game itself. Free stuff won't fix that.

But thing have changed, and they could have added that in or tie it in somehow to the e-mail with the free stuff. Could have perhaps drawn in more players...who knows. It is possible they might send out another e-mail about S11.
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • cem3212cem3212 Member Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I have not spent anymore real money on STO every since last summer's dilithium store closure. Then a following patch made a couple of the items that were account bound character bound so I quit buying Zen in protest knowing it wouldn't matter. And yes, besides the formatted ticket customer service response there was no detailed rebuttal to my ticket so it probably wasn't even read. Till then I would buy Zen even if I didn't need it when it was on sale. Luckily I still have a few thousand Zen plus the monthly stipend accumulates.

Pathetic that I've spent a few/several hundred in real life over the years yet three of my friends that I introduced to STO that have only bought a couple of store items get the free T6 cruiser, of course no email for me LOL. Is it a good idea to try to entice former players back? Yes. Is it good to openly dismiss current players contributions? No. This type of marketing scheme doesn't really inspire me to go-back & support STO by buying Zen. (10) Specialization Points or equivalent in experience & a Tier 6 cruiser is nothing to sneeze at neither! Sucks if you are only Klingon & Romulan I bet.

PWE/Cryptic batting their eyelashes to former players while spitting in the face of current players. PWE/Cryptic should have offered current players at least the (10) Specialization Points! Since I have close to twenty characters that would've been helpful. If they ever change their trends & offer anything for sale that interests me I'll go back to buying Zen when I need it, but lately they have just been releasing reiterations of previous ships & skills anyways. The following is the email my friends received by the way with graphics too which I didn't include, but it was a picture of the Andromeda:

Elite Rewards for Veterans like You!

As a thank you for your support, we are giving you a powerful gift that will help you on your journey! Use the code below to claim your FREE Andromeda Class Exploration Cruiser and 10 Specialization Points to help you jump start your character's progression!

(Code to enter into STO Arc account went here)

Login today and enjoy an incredibly smooth Star Trek experience, Captains!
  • borgified007borgified007 Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    I took a bit of time off in July, almost or perhaps the entire month. I have put some real money into this game and am a lifetime subscription bought 2 years ago. The reason I am saying this is that I got that enticement email today at around noon. It's entirely possible that more people will get it as they go through accounts to see who qualifies. So don't throw stones just yet. I was gone from the game for 30 days or less.
  • littlesarbonnlittlesarbonn Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Never mind. Figured it out.
    Fleet Admiral Duane Gundrum, U.S.S. Merrimack
    Fleet Admiral Ventaxa Proxmire, U.S.S. Shaka Walls Fell
    Blog: http://www.sarbonn.com/?page_id=1990
    Foundry series: Bob From Accounting & For the Sake of the Empire
  • northrangernorthranger Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I didn't get an email, of course. That's fine. As an STO veteran and a lifetimer, I've received more freebies and incentives from Cryptic than I can remember. I have every ship I want, so far (including the occasional lockbox and lobi ship). Never flew the Galaxy on my main character and I'm not interested in it now. But, it's a nice gesture from the company and good incentive to get lapsed players back into the game. All MMOs do it.

Something about looking a gift horse in the mouth. Consider this giveaway a gift to the player base in general. Your gaming experience won't be effecteve by not getting one .... Play on.

Cryptic's always been pretty generous ... this IS a free-to-play game.

So, thanks team - STO, PWE, whoever's idea it was.
  • supergirl1611supergirl1611 Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    i just checked a alt account and got the email for the free spec points and ship, however entering the code it tells me the code is invalid :(

Has anyone tried to redeem the code on a diff account and had any success, as its no biggie if i can't use it on the account it was sent to as that account was originally setup to farm contraband, but as i'm a mac user i can only launch one copy of the game, that account is now defunct.
  • jasecurtisjasecurtis Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    I kind of hope I don't get this email. Just bought the Andromeda the other day.
    qGPf6Iq.jpg?1
  • thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User

It doesn't concern you. It's none of your business. Mind your own business.

By telling other people what to do, you are *not* minding your own business. Why should anyone do something that you cant even do yourself?

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User

By telling other people what to do, you are *not* minding your own business. Why should anyone do something that you cant even do yourself?

This is a great thing! It helps the community which then helps every player in the game. Besides, if these people left the game at DR, then they missed 3 free T6 ships and more than 10 free spec points from the FEs. Players who stuck with it have come out ahead.
    @thegrandnagus1 you seem like a nice guy and all, but you're just stirring the pot.
    edited August 2015
    rmy1081 wrote: »

This is a great thing! It helps the community which then helps every player in the game. Besides, if these people left the game at DR, then they missed 3 free T6 ships and more than 10 free spec points from the FEs. Players who stuck with it have come out ahead.
    @thegrandnagus1 you seem like a nice guy and all, but you're just stirring the pot.

I'm *not* saying this email promotion is a bad thing. I *am* saying that telling other people to "mind their own business" is inherently hypocritical. Those are two completely different issues.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User

I'm not saying this email promotion is a bad thing. I *am* saying that telling other people to "mind their own business" is inherently hypocritical. Those are two completely different issues.

I'm not going to engage in that circular logic...
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

He still isn't counting other people's money, as he put it.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited August 2015

I'm not saying this email promotion is a bad thing. I *am* saying that telling other people to "mind their own business" is inherently hypocritical. Those are two completely different issues.

That's fine, because I'm not asking for your engagement, just stating a fact. By telling someone else to "mind their own business", you are doing the exact opposite.

To be clear, I get his point: other people getting a free ship doesn't "affect" you, and it only "bothers" you if you let it. Well guess what? People posting on this forum who are unhappy about this situation doesn't "affect" him either, and it other "bothers" him if he lets it. So if he thinks other people should just "get over it", he should do the same thing and just "get over" anybody posting something he doesn't like.

Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • dmtdmt Member Posts: 194 Arc User
    I love the fact that I get the e-mail, having stopped playing at the start of July, and come back to claim it, only to find the July updates have broken the game and won't let me past the initial splash screen.

That's fine, because I'm not asking for your engagement, just stating a fact. By telling someone else to "mind their own business", you are doing the exact opposite.

To be clear, I get his point: other people getting a free ship doesn't "affect" you, and it only "bothers" you if you let it. Well guess what? People posting on this forum who are unhappy about this situation doesn't "affect" him either, and it other "bothers" him if he lets it. So if he thinks other people should just "get over it", he should do the same thing and just "get over" anybody posting something he doesn't like.

So there is basically no "legitimate" use of saying "Mind your own business"? I think you're wrong.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    edited August 2015

So there is basically no "legitimate" use of saying "Mind your own business"? I think you're wrong.

If you think I'm wrong, feel free to explain how. Once you are done, I will explain how what you just described is concerning yourself with other people's business, which is the opposite of minding your *own* business.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
    edited August 2015
    One other quick note: the true meaning of "mind your own business" is "respect other people's privacy". However, people often misunderstand or misuse it, like repetitiveepic did, to say "don't be jealous of what someone else has". But again, that is not the true meaning, because the true meaning is regarding privacy, not jealousy.

By the true meaning, the phrase doesn't even apply to this thread, because people are talking publicly about the emails they received. Several people who received these emails have intentionally made the situation public information, meaning it is not private.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    orionburst wrote: »
    hartzilla wrote: »
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Aww isn't that cute...the connie thinks his fat nacelles are something to be proud of! Thunder nacelles!

At least the connie's can take getting hit by something and not break off or explode.

Do I have to call Mister Vo'quv (or Vod'leh...probably the vod) over to show you feddies the nacelles the KDF big boys use? tiger-2.gif

Yeah, becuase feds are so going to be jealous of the barely functional garbage scows that are
  • dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    I was away for like 2 years...came back last week to check what's new in the game and made a new toon..got no T6 e-mail, not that I did expect any freebie anyway, so no disappointment here.

One would think that someone who started in beta, was subscriber for 400 days and just did return to check the game again after many months would be the ideal candidate (or rather victim) for this marketing campaign.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
    One other quick note: the true meaning of "mind your own business" is "respect other people's privacy". However, people often misunderstand or misuse it, like repetitiveepic did, to say "don't be jealous of what someone else has". But again, that is not the true meaning, because the true meaning is regarding privacy, not jealousy.

By the true meaning, the phrase doesn't even apply to this thread, because people are talking publicly about the emails they received. Several people who received these emails have intentionally made the situation public information, meaning it is not private.
    So you completely understood what repetitiveepic was trying to say, and decide to focus on discussing the technicalities of the wrong use of an idiom, instead of the actual thing he was talking about.

Okay, understood.
    edited August 2015

If you think I'm wrong, feel free to explain how. Once you are done, I will explain how what you just described is concerning yourself with other people's business, which is the opposite of minding your *own* business.

It's not your business, since it doesn't involve you at all, it just involves other people, people who aren't you.

Do you really not see the contradiction of what you are doing? You are saying that if something doesn't involve you personally, then it is not your business. Well guess what? That exact same logic applies to *you*, in relation to the people complaining in this thread. Some people are upset by this email thing, and whether you agree with them or not, it doesn't involve you. So by your very own logic, the comments of the people complaining in this thread aren't your business.
    Post edited by thegrandnagus1 on

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • cklibcklib Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Getting old players back is all fine and dandy. But how about having the infrastructure first to sustain an increased number of players? Ever since the release of Season 10.5 the lag, frequent disconnects, login fails, and rubberbanding has gotten much worse.

Especially in the evening hours in Europe (usually between 7 PM and midnight CET/CEST) the game is almost unplayable (primarily STFs, Sector Alerts, Deep Space Encounters, Ground/Space Battle Grounds). Not long ago LaughingTrendy also reported there was a network issue specifically for connections from Germany. I feel like that issue has returned, please check (ISP is Deutsche Telekom AG, DTAG).

As someone who decided to give you almost $300 for a lifetime subscription three months ago I expect better.

Was I sad not getting the T6 Andromeda? I sure was. But it's not the end of the world. Finally having a T6 cruiser with my engineering main char will have to wait a little longer. Until then, though, the game must be decently playable.

P.S.: Posting things on or taking things off the Exchange currently takes forever.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Well, as one of the ones they attempted to entice I can say it isn't working so don't expect too many to come back, your hard work is secure there OP and everyone else who are worried about such things.. I have 0 intention of playing this game again until it ceases being a grind fest, so in other words, sadly as it may be, never. I would like to come back someday, but not until then, and if the code expires before then, so be it. I have a T5-U Avenger waiting for me anyway.

Grind mode off and people will return. Simple as that.