test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The comeback to STO enticement package

As seen on STO REDDIT (https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3h0eri/check_your_email_i_got_a_free_ship_10/), STO is trying to get certain old players to comeback. No one is surprised since an FTP needs to keep the playerbase full. This particular re-recruitment campaign has a nice offer, as follows: a free tier 6 ship and 10 spec points. That is nice for those that left during DR and now want a reason to return. Now, how about all of us that stayed through DR and did the slow and painful grind to get our first 10 spec points. Well, we get to continue the grind and ignore the slight represented in this re-recruitment campaign. STO... you need to work on your definition of "support". Its so funny it hurts to laugh.... :D

Comments

• Options
    zarato4218zarato4218 Member Posts: 403 Arc User
    So Trendy closes the thread, which is still at the bottom of page one, that talked about this all day yesterday and you decide to open a new one... I'd say inb4lock, but as its the weekend I imagine this will go on for a while, oh well. :*
    As Zephram Cochrane once said, "That'll do, pig. That'll do." - April 1st 2015. o:)
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User
    zarato4218 wrote: »
    So Trendy closes the thread, which is still at the bottom of page one, that talked about this all day yesterday and you decide to open a new one... I'd say inb4lock, but as its the weekend I imagine this will go on for a while, oh well. :*
    Thanks you for your input.
  • Options
    earwigvr6earwigvr6 Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    Would expect nothing less from this company,

Shaft the ones that struggle through all the lag and bugs, but reward the ones that decided to bail all that time ago.

Funny thing is, even if they did return with this offer of free stuff, the likelyhood of them staying is very slim indeed.

The best way to get people back ?

Fix the bugs, fix the lag and give them a game that is playable to come back to. They likely left due to the poor state of the game anyway and in that sense, nothing has changed :-(
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Imagined slights are always the worst.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    sentinel64 wrote: »
    As seen on STO REDDIT (https://www.reddit.com/r/sto/comments/3h0eri/check_your_email_i_got_a_free_ship_10/), STO is trying to get certain old players to comeback. No one is surprised since an FTP needs to keep the playerbase full. This particular re-recruitment campaign has a nice offer, as follows: a free tier 6 ship and 10 spec points. That is nice for those that left during DR and now want a reason to return. Now, how about all of us that stayed through DR and did the slow and painful grind to get our first 10 spec points. Well, we get to continue the grind and ignore the slight represented in this re-recruitment campaign. STO... you need to work on your definition of "support". Its so funny it hurts to laugh.... :D

I am F2P. I stayed during DR. I did that grind you speak of for the first 10 Spec Points. When I got home from work yesterday, I discovered I was awarded the Free T6 Ship and the 10 Free Spec Points. Both of which I am enjoying very much. Been a very long time since I played Fed regularly. Over two years.

Who ever thought that by simply being a Daily Player, I'd get something this nice for nothing at all?
    A big thank you goes out from me to pwe/cryptic.

A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    not imagined, and this a pwe thing, not cryptic. pwe did a similar give away in another of their games i played and then dropped several months later got an email saying i had loot waiting for me in that game. though it was no where near the value of this sto package.

seems it's better to not play if you want high value goods. just register, play a bit, then leave and wait for the loot.
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    This is a common thing that many MMO's do. Branflakes had a great explanation of it in the locked thread.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    sentinel64sentinel64 Member Posts: 900 Arc User

I am F2P. I stayed during DR. I did that grind you speak of for the first 10 Spec Points. When I got home from work yesterday, I discovered I was awarded the Free T6 Ship and the 10 Free Spec Points. Both of which I am enjoying very much. Been a very long time since I played Fed regularly. Over two years.

Who ever thought that by simply being a Daily Player, I'd get something this nice for nothing at all?

good to hear a deserving person received this prize... congratz. :)
  • Options
    robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    If I quit now, will I still make it?
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    not imagined,
    The slight is imagined. The giveaway is not.
    and this a pwe thing, not cryptic. pwe did a similar give away in another of their games i played and then dropped several months later got an email saying i had loot waiting for me in that game. though it was no where near the value of this sto package.
    I am also fairly certain it's not the first time there is a giveaway for lapsed player.
    seems it's better to not play if you want high value goods. just register, play a bit, then leave and wait for the loot.
    Maybe you really play very little, but in the past few months, I got a lot more than a single Andromeda Class Ship and 10 spec points. I think I got hundreds of spec points and hundreds of thousands of Dilithium.

The point of computer games is generally not having "high value goods". The point is playing them and having fun. Of course, maybe sitting on "high value goods" and never using them is someone's idea of fun.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    It's an awesome idea and I hope it brings some people back, more people is better!

One can indeed hope so. The more players the better. If giving away excellent awards such as this gets more poeple to log in and start playing again or more often, then bravo pwe/cryptic. Well done!
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    Yeah, I agree. This is a good enticement to get people back in the game. Many were lost late last fall and they are interested potential customers so this is a well targeted campaign.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    hravikhravik Member Posts: 1,203 Arc User
    Imagined slights are always the worst.

Imagined? Why I'll have you know that Salami and Taco drove to my house, and Taco held me in place while Salami personally slapped me in the face.

• Options
    risian4risian4 Member Posts: 3,711 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    Not sure what to think of this. If you didn't have a reason to quit the game after DR, it means you still considered the game fun to play so you probably won't need an extra reward then... at the same time, however, it feels as if disloyalty is being rewarded here.

While it may be better for all of us if there's more players in the game, it seems unfair to reward those people that were the first to turn their backs on STO, instead of those who kept caring for and supporting the game.
  • Options
    kyrrokkyrrok Member Posts: 1,352 Arc User
    Free T6 ship? I knew there ws some manner of giveaway. I was thinking it was unreasonable to criticize them for wanting to try things to get players back. But... a T6 ship to come back? Even now I am not quite jealous, but I can certainly understand why others are.

As for closing this thread? They should just let the anger be expressed and it would be over and done with. This will be on page 3 by next weekend, closed or not. Censoring civil expressions of dissatisfaction and jealousy likely will only breed more resentment, and perhaps, more non-players.
  • Options
    shockwave85shockwave85 Member Posts: 1,040 Arc User
    The ship isn't as valuable as it looks. Back when DR launched, an acquaintance of mine got a similar email as he hadn't played in a long while. He was allowed to choose one of the T6 ships (he took the Phantom), and maybe got some other assorted stuff I can't recall. The ship though was NOT a full C-Store unlock. It was a one-time thing for one character, like the ships veterans get at Lv 50. So, the value is somewhat less than a full $30 C-Store purchase.

As far as spec points, that doesn't bother me. Cryptic has been handing out spec points left and right lately. Cashing out your Lohlunat Pearls. Once per week just for speed running the current FE. Two free points per character as part of the giveaway. I'm not really bothered that they're giving 10 away in an enticement package, as I've gotten way more than 10 free points on one character without even doing that much actual playing.
    ssog-maco-sig.jpg
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaand in before lock. Way I see it, if people want to come back, let 'em. Not our place to tell them not to.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    earwigvr6 wrote: »
    Would expect nothing less from this company,

Shaft the ones that struggle through all the lag and bugs, but reward the ones that decided to bail all that time ago.

Funny thing is, even if they did return with this offer of free stuff, the likelyhood of them staying is very slim indeed.

The best way to get people back ?

Fix the bugs, fix the lag and give them a game that is playable to come back to. They likely left due to the poor state of the game anyway and in that sense, nothing has changed :-(
    I couldn't agree more. But seeing as how that seldom happens I think it is only fair that those applicable be given this same "package".
    signature.png
  • Options
    lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    This gift should be given to all veterans regardless of activity or not.
    Thos behaviour is simply unacceptable, is a show of bad faith and will hurt you and your profits in the long run, Cryptic.
  • Options
    koraheaglecrykoraheaglecry Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    Honestly Im not bothered by it at all.

The Team gives out things to the active playerbase quite often. Especially this time of year. When these players that are inactive get back in game and jump in their new free T6 with their free boost of 10 spec points theyll quickly realize the only prize was the free 30 dollar value ship. The 10 spec points will get them started but wont provide them the means of actually heading off the specialization system that others have more then likely completed at this point.

I dont know if the T6 ship is a choice or not...But I suspect that its not and is probably the most underselling of the lot. Which means it probably has mediocre stats and a nearly useless if not highly situational Ship Trait. I doubt they are giving out the opportunity to choose the T6 ships that give the most bang for their buck. But I could be wrong. Either way. Theres nothing in the CStore Ship wise that I havent already bought and own. Had they done this on top of releasing the first T6 ships Id have been POed. But as of right now its nothing to get my panties in a bunch over.
  • Options
    lizweilizwei Member Posts: 936 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    The c-store giveaways of this week were absolute TRIBBLE aside from the spec points, not even a free low tier ship, so you can bet people are annoyed when people who aren't playing get bribed with a t6 ship and 10 spec points.
    It wreaks of cynicism and desperation.
  • Options
    kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    First, we all know Delta Rising was the most successful expansion ever and the players loved it so nobody would have actually left. So who could they have given these incredible prizes too? Second, I'll look for my package next winter as I can't imagine logging in much after Fallout 4.

Small Print
    Cryptic and it's employees never make mistakes. To point one out, is to invite points and banning of your account for flaming, as you were obviously lying.
  • Options
    koraheaglecrykoraheaglecry Member Posts: 250 Arc User
    lizwei wrote: »
    The c-store giveaways of this week were absolute TRIBBLE aside from the spec points, not even a free low tier ship, so you can bet people are annoyed when people who aren't playing get bribed with a t6 ship and 10 spec points.
    It wreaks of cynicism and desperation.

Pretty sure the only cynicism here Im seeing is your own.

'I didnt get anything awesome so why is someone else getting something awesome!'

People always project more about themselves when trying to accuse others of something.
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    It is difficult not to come across as a spoiled brat when speaking about freebies. I'm sure that old 'self-entitlement' catchphrase has been knocking around somewhere since all this came to the surface.

Perhaps it is selfish, but I also question the logic behind giving away a T6 ship with no grind or cost attached to an inactive player, yet those who have and do play regularly don't even get a non-desirable T5 ship during the recent giveaway.

The last few giveaways have been for all sorts of goodies besides viable endgame ships and I can't say I understand why. A T5 ship isn't going to harm sales, and the event ships are unaffected since they are better ships - so the grind is justified for them.
  • Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    ^This is my one problem with this event. How was it decided who got the email and who didn't? My 2 feds could totally use a 2nd T6 ship and Ive been playing mostly daily myself. Now if it were only people that had not logged in for X time frame... cool, jealous of the ship but cool. Here we have someone that has been playing and gets it... thats fubar.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User

This is the issue that Cryptic really needs to address, IMO. If this were just an enticement for former players to return, that's one thing. But now some people, like Thunderfoot, are claiming to have gotten this even though they never left and play every day. This means there is something strange going on.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    This is the issue that Cryptic really needs to address, IMO. If this were just an enticement for former players to return, that's one thing. But now some people, like Thunderfoot, are claiming to have gotten this even though they never left and play every day. This means there is something strange going on.

Maybe there is more to it in Thunderfoots case as they may own another acount which has been neglected and that was to enticed back, but the code worked on the main account. :just an idea: ::Shrugs::

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I think it is nice, even WoW do something similar to this. In hopes to get players back. However I stayed even through it all. Still playing and enjoying the game.

Granted the ship would be nice, but look at the other ships they missed by not playing.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.