test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO as ToR and ToR as STO?

I've just come to the realization that the gameplay and story orientation of ToR is more attuned to Star Trek, and the combat plus ship flight is more attuned to Star Wars.

Comments

• Options
    kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    bravo... now if you look closely you could cherry pic the best of both games and have on epic mo fo mmorpg. Toss in player built/run cities from SWG and bam watch the money roll in.
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    I don't see it.
  • Options
    lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    You forgot one major thing. Even though TOR is supposed to be a free-to-play, EA requires you to subscribe, just to get access to anything. Oh, and if you want a pet Ewok, you need to pay real money to get this mission. In general, TOR is a grindfest hidden behind the fact that you need to pay real money to unlock those grindfests. It is EA. Enough said. Never, EVER, play ANYTHING made by EA.

With STO, you very well can play without EVER paying real money. Take me for example. ALL of my characters exclusively use Lockbox/Lobi ships, and they were all paid for by selling Contraband.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • Options
    rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    lindaleff wrote: »
    You forgot one major thing. Even though TOR is supposed to be a free-to-play, EA requires you to subscribe, just to get access to anything. Oh, and if you want a pet Ewok, you need to pay real money to get this mission. In general, TOR is a grindfest hidden behind the fact that you need to pay real money to unlock those grindfests. It is EA. Enough said. Never, EVER, play ANYTHING made by EA.

With STO, you very well can play without EVER paying real money. Take me for example. ALL of my characters exclusively use Lockbox/Lobi ships, and they were all paid for by selling Contraband.

This I get. If SWTOR went buy one/play forever I would call it a pretty good game (craps all over KOTOR's canon with what happen to Revan and the awful items they put in the cash shop).

But as it stands now SWTOR is just about the worst f2p game on the market.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,046 Community Moderator
    TOR doesn't even give you a BANK unless you spend at least $5 on the game. Meanwhile here in STO... I ground out several ships, outfits, character slots, BOff slots, DOff slots, outfit slots...

Ladies and gentlemen... I was even crazy enough to grind out the DELTA PACK!

STO gives you the chance to work for just about anything short of subscription and LTS just by playing the Dilithium Exchange. TOR? Nope. Paywalls for Paywalls. Although I do dabble in TOR every once in a while, its only made tolerable by the fact I did break down and pay the $5 to get bank access. The stories are great, but that's about it. TOR's F2P model is essentialy blackmail as the ONLY thing free is the story and that's it. No access to basic services like a bank for item storage. STO has by far the best F2P model I have ever heard of, allowing people who are F2P a way to earn cash money store items by playing the game.

While STO does have its shortcomings... no game is perfect. And I actually enjoy being able to earn Zen in game to get C-Store items.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    Incorrect rattler2... f2p does indeed get storage for free and it can even be expanded once on the limited amounts of credits a pure f2p is allotted. No guild bank access for f2p tho. However many "subscriber" features can be character or account unlocked fairly cheaply, either through credits or cartel coins(cash shop currency).
    EAware's f2p model is a little greedy, yes, but no where near the worst f2p model out there. Personally I prefer b2p(buy to play) as long as you aren't ESO and trying to charge $60 for a game a year or two after launch. That model eliminates gold spammers(most of the time) and allows the cash shop to focus on vanity/convenience items not p2win items.
  • Options
    blassreiterusblassreiterus Member Posts: 1,294 Arc User
    Incorrect rattler2... f2p does indeed get storage for free and it can even be expanded once on the limited amounts of credits a pure f2p is allotted. No guild bank access for f2p tho. However many "subscriber" features can be character or account unlocked fairly cheaply, either through credits or cartel coins(cash shop currency).
    EAware's f2p model is a little greedy, yes, but no where near the worst f2p model out there. Personally I prefer b2p(buy to play) as long as you aren't ESO and trying to charge $60 for a game a year or two after launch. That model eliminates gold spammers(most of the time) and allows the cash shop to focus on vanity/convenience items not p2win items.
    That storage you mentioned is Legacy storage, it's a bit different than personal storage (which costs $5). Also, there's Guild Storage (which also costs money).

Star Trek Online LTS player.
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    TOR doesn't even give you a BANK unless you spend at least $5 on the game. Meanwhile here in STO... I ground out several ships, outfits, character slots, BOff slots, DOff slots, outfit slots...

Ladies and gentlemen... I was even crazy enough to grind out the DELTA PACK!

STO gives you the chance to work for just about anything short of subscription and LTS just by playing the Dilithium Exchange. TOR? Nope. Paywalls for Paywalls. Although I do dabble in TOR every once in a while, its only made tolerable by the fact I did break down and pay the $5 to get bank access. The stories are great, but that's about it. TOR's F2P model is essentialy blackmail as the ONLY thing free is the story and that's it. No access to basic services like a bank for item storage. STO has by far the best F2P model I have ever heard of, allowing people who are F2P a way to earn cash money store items by playing the game.

While STO does have its shortcomings... no game is perfect. And I actually enjoy being able to earn Zen in game to get C-Store items.

I dabble a little with SWTOR as well, but I just can't seem to get into it like I do STO. I have a smuggler at level 15 or 16. But every time I play it, I'm on for a an hour or two, then put it down for months at a time...STO keeps me coming back pretty much daily.

The story missions are very well executed in SWTOR but I dunno what it is, it just doesn't hold my attention.
    And I love Star Wars.

One things that bothered me about SWTOR, getting in game mail with costume rewards filled up my basic inventory.
    I guess they wanted to promote the use of buying storage.
    But it just annoyed me. Either delete the costume gifts, or buy more inventory. I've not done either, and have a full inventory, and haven't touched the game for months now.

[img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    chiyoumikuchiyoumiku Member Posts: 1,028 Arc User
    ToR's space combat is a rail shooter. STO's is not. And this is Star Trek Online's forums not Star Wars TOR's forums.
    Sekhmet_Banner.jpg
    Defending The Galaxy By Breaking One Starfleet Regulation After The Next.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    ToR's space combat is a rail shooter. STO's is not. And this is Star Trek Online's forums not Star Wars TOR's forums.
    Star Wars also has an "off-the-rails" shooter these days, more like TIE Fighter or Wing Commander. But personally, I didn't like it.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    That storage you mentioned is Legacy storage, it's a bit different than personal storage (which costs $5). Also, there's Guild Storage (which also costs money).
    Actually no... it isnt, you get PERSONAL storage as soon as you get your own ship. Legacy storage you get with strongholds and guild is separate from those 2.
    chiyoumiku wrote: »
    Star Wars also has an "off-the-rails" shooter these days, more like TIE Fighter or Wing Commander. But personally, I didn't like it.
    That probably because starfighter was launched and abandoned and all it amounted to was a couple maps of arena pvp. Was a decent concept that never got developed past its launch
    The story missions are very well executed in SWTOR but I dunno what it is, it just doesn't hold my attention.
    And I love Star Wars.
    Probably the WoW style grind mechanics they're promising to retire soon. If you subscribe atm you get 12x xp on class story missions to lv55. This allows you to plow through ONLY playing you class's plot. Rewards on class quests also include 12 planetary commendations each, allowing you to keep orange gear mods up to level easily since they only cost 2 each now
  • Options
    enkemenenkemen Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    Actually no... it isnt, you get PERSONAL storage as soon as you get your own ship. Legacy storage you get with strongholds and guild is separate from those 2.

Actually, I just started up as an F2P player last week, and once I got my ship and tried to use the Cargo Hold, I was told that I could not unless I used Cartel Coins to purchase space.

I realized today that I really hate TOR. There is no complexity to it, gameplay-wise. You don't get to pick skills, you only really need a set of adaptive armour and an adaptive weapon and you just max out the primary skill and pick a secondary to boost, and you're done. Everything else is just extreme space Barbie, even though all the characters look the same. As a single player game goes, it almost works except that you have to grind an unpleasant number of stupid sidequests unless you pay, and it throws monetisation in your face at every friggen turn.

I compared it to a combination chatroom and Facebook game, in terms of complexity and monetisation. I don't think I'm incorrect.
  • Options
    iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    I'm still waiting for ToR to kill STO like all the people on the forums said would happen years ago.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • Options
    enkemen wrote: »
    Actually, I just started up as an F2P player last week, and once I got my ship and tried to use the Cargo Hold, I was told that I could not unless I used Cartel Coins to purchase space.
    well assuming you're not outright full of it, that would be a recent change then. Because when I was pure f2p my ship cargo worked fine before I spent some money on the game. If they HAVE changed that, then I agree that is a serious b.s. move
    I realized today that I really hate TOR. There is no complexity to it, gameplay-wise. You don't get to pick skills, you only really need a set of adaptive armour and an adaptive weapon and you just max out the primary skill and pick a secondary to boost, and you're done. Everything else is just extreme space Barbie, even though all the characters look the same. As a single player game goes, it almost works except that you have to grind an unpleasant number of stupid sidequests unless you pay, and it throws monetisation in your face at every friggen turn.

I compared it to a combination chatroom and Facebook game, in terms of complexity and monetisation. I don't think I'm incorrect.
    well thats not entirely true... by lv60 you have like 4-5 skills you use most in a fight but yes, since they changed the spec trees to the newer WoW style TRIBBLE, any level of personalization to your skills has gone out the window. And yes, if you are not subbed atm the game is grindy as all hell just to level. People only THINK sto is alt, unfriendly because they havent tried swtor's current grind-it model. But again, come october, there will be a major overhaul there we're told. The biggest problem with swtor as it is atm, imo, is that until they decided to break and go do something Bioware is good at, they've been hell bent chasing WoW in every aspect trying to be a WoW clone with scifi themes.
  • Options
    I will admit that STO has a ton of stuff wrong with it. But it does have one of, if not THE best free-to-play model.
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I still want to continue playing TOR to get through all the class stories. But I never found the gameplay really fun. The closest might have been the Imperial Agent with a stealth build, since that means I could actually bypass a lot of enemies (and thus gameplay and also unfortunatey XP).
    The new 12 x class storry skill point thing or what it is should be ideal for my purposes.

No reason to grind in that game. Grinding is only sensible if you like the gameplay, and if you like the gameplay, grinding is also not terrible. (I wonder if many people that complain about the grind in STO ultimately don't like the gameplay of STO.)
    iconians wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for ToR to kill STO like all the people on the forums said would happen years ago.
    You're living in the past, iconians. It's Elite dangerous with its millions or billions of star systems worth of exploration that is going to kill this game.

And if that doesn't kill it, it will be Star Citizen. Or No Man's Sky.

I am sure Dreadnought will kill STO's PvP. Oh, wait. That's already dead.

Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    cornelianuscornelianus Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I hated the gameplay in SWTOR. I tried it on almost every class. Even with 12 x xp, it still sucked. I eventually gave it up. No special abilities or Star Wars skin could make that game enjoyable to me.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    (I wonder if many people that complain about the grind in STO ultimately don't like the gameplay of STO.)
    I will say it this way. I nearly never move any of my characters off DS9. I simply have the chat box open on the computer beside me while I do actual work.

Having a desk that is shaped like an L has great advantages that way.
  • Options
    gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »

That was probably just the rabid Star Wars nerds talking.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • Options
    Yea, I just tried accessing the personal cargo hold on a free account character that I have, and here are the results: you must pay to have access to the cargo hold. So, what I said in my earlier post was confirmed. You were talking about something completely different.

• Options
    edited August 2015
    Yea, I just tried accessing the personal cargo hold on a free account character that I have, and here are the results: you must pay to have access to the cargo hold. So, what I said in my earlier post was confirmed. You were talking about something completely different.
    then that HAS changed since I was f2p and that IS INDEED some serious bulldung. Esp since you get free storage access bit for your strongholds too :/
  • Options
    then that HAS changed since I was f2p and that IS INDEED some serious bulldung. Esp since you get free storage access bit for your strongholds too :/
    No, it hasn't. Cargo Hold access has always been a thing where you had to buy the access for it from the moment the game switched business models. I should know, I have been playing the game off and on since that time, and there wasn't a time when I was playing the game for free that I had access to the cargo hold (personal or guild).

• Options
    No, it hasn't. Cargo Hold access has always been a thing where you had to buy the access for it from the moment the game switched business models. I should know, I have been playing the game off and on since that time, and there wasn't a time when I was playing the game for free that I had access to the cargo hold (personal or guild).

And yet I only started playing it long after it went f2p and my first character was in his mid lv30s by the time I spent my first $10 on the game and I had cargo access for free as soon as I got my ship.
  • Options
    johnny111971johnny111971 Member Posts: 1,300 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    So, at one point I burned out on STO... The incessant power creep, never ending grind for Fleet Holdings and such... Being a LTS, I took a break... I went and played SWTOR for about 18 months... (I am a single game kinda guy)

SWTOR was not a bad game... the FTP (which I was not) restrictions, imho, were a little harsh... but one thing I did like... items sold in the Cartel Market had VERY LITTLE to no game play impact. Unlike STO where you either must grind out the Z-Mart ships, or drop some cash... yes the fleet versions are easier to get, but lack the special consoles... STO has doubled down on this with the T6 and Starship traits... Console and Trait is not available in game (save a grind that I can not possibly imagine, nor stomach).

The short story, if you didn't pay... you were not at a distinct disadvantage. Here, you are... Yes... you can absolutely grind out and sell the dilithium necessary to purchase anything in STO... but seriously add up how long it would take you to grind out a new T6 ship (just 1), enough refined dilithium to equip that ship, and so on... assume rep gear, or fleet gear. Assume 1 character... assume 3 characters (more dil refining a day)... top end gear in SWTOR is earned, not bought.

Edit: Also, most things needed by F2P Players (Ops passes, gear authorizations, etc) could be purchased on the GTN (that games version of the Exchange.).

They both have their pluses and minuses. In the end.... cant wait for Star Citizen's Persistent Universe.

Star Trek Online, Now with out the Trek....
  • Options
    foxrockssocksfoxrockssocks Member Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    I really don't understand the OP's statement. Reskin SWTOR and you don't have a good Trek game at all, and vice versa. I'm not sure what specifically might conjure that thought either. I can't think of anything I'd really want done like TOR did it, in STO.

TOR game design has some serious flaws, among them slow, tedious combat and obnoxious skill bloat. If you need to bind half the keyboard to use your overly situational skills, or expect people to create macros to use them, you have a bad game. There is of course the obscenely bad F2P model, the gross overuse of voice acting, especially when much of it is bad voice acting, and the terrible jumping mechanics.

What TOR has over STO is, oddly, the monetization. The stuff they sell, it isn't obscenely overpriced, and it isn't power. STO has the better F2P model, no question, but the things actually sold are overpriced and while not P2W, it allows buying power. I believe balance in TOR is much better as well, but the game is so bland it is hard not to balance.
  • Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    I really don't understand the OP's statement. Reskin SWTOR and you don't have a good Trek game at all, and vice versa. I'm not sure what specifically might conjure that thought either. I can't think of anything I'd really want done like TOR did it, in STO.

I agree. Each game is different to be sure, but the OP is wrong on both comparisons. TOR's storytelling is not "more Trek", it is just good storytelling. STO's ship combat is not "more SW", it is just good ship combat. Long story short, this whole thread is basically just a half off topic discussion about another game.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2015

And yet I only started playing it long after it went f2p and my first character was in his mid lv30s by the time I spent my first $10 on the game and I had cargo access for free as soon as I got my ship.
    That right there is why you had the cargo hold access for free. Preferred players get it free, similar to how Subscribers get it for free. Free players (who've not spent any money on the game) do not get the cargo hold access for free.

• Options
    enkemenenkemen Member Posts: 113 Arc User

That right there is why you had the cargo hold access for free. Preferred players get it free, similar to how Subscribers get it for free. Free players (who've not spent any money on the game) do not get the cargo hold access for free.

It's also possible he may have gotten it via referral -- I can't remember, but I think one of the perks of being referred by a subbed member is that unlock.

You can also only purchase one inventory size upgrade as an F2P, which rapidly gets filled up; any more and you must pay CC. So much thrown in the free player's face. If you want to use purple gear? That's an unlock. Want to be able to play more than a couple group missions per week? Yep, that's an unlock. You want to be able to use more than two emotes per category? You'd better believe that's an unlock.

God, that game design is awful.
  • Options
    gameversemangameverseman Member Posts: 1,110 Arc User
    edited August 2015
    lindaleff wrote: »

$30 USD every two months is insignificant to the amount of money-grabs and grind in STO. Everything (outside subscription) in SWTOR is vanity. Everything ,(outside of subscription) which is roughly 97%, is FAR from vanity (excluding outfits but that's negligible since Crptic/PWe gives them away anyways) so if you were to blow money at all on either game you would end up paying about 80% more in STO than SWTOR BY FAR! This is beyond obvious.... So please enjoy my reaction to your post:
    signature.png
  • Options
    I see reading comprehension is not your best subject... now go back and read it again slowly.. My character was in the mid 30s levels AND HAD access to personal storage as soon as I got my starship BEFORE I spent $10 on the game.

It's also possible he may have gotten it via referral -- I can't remember, but I think one of the perks of being referred by a subbed member is that unlock.
    Now THAT is a possibility, I do not recall if I used a referral code or not by that point.