test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Non-STO laptop power issue

This isn't STO-related, although the laptop in question is used to play it... I'm asking here because I know there are some sharp techs among the player community.

The laptop stopped booting up and wouldn't power on. I purchased a new battery to see if that was the problem. The laptop boots up and according to the status it is "Plugged in, Not charging". I'm assuming that the laptop is only drawing power from the battery, since the battery level drops when it's on.

I'm looking for confirmation that a bad power port on the laptop would cause this symptom before I haul it somewhere to get fixed. I don't think it would be the power adapter, seems unlikely to fail like that, but I guess that might cause the same status message if it did.

Any idea what replacing the port would cost? Would you try replacing the adapter first?
(The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)

Comments

• Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    I would recommend taking it to Best Buy first, they will more than happy to take an adapter off the shelf and see if it powers up your computer and charge up your battery, prior to purchasing the adapter.

If the power port (also know as a Power Jack) is busted, it is way cheaper to replace it yourself, you would only need to solder a couple of places.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    kittyflofykittyflofy Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    edited July 2015
    Probably you fried one of the conductors (dunno exactly the term in english) and its causing you a shortcircuit, making it impossible to charge the battery and probably not allowing the power to go in, so the battery will never charge. In that case, the only solution is to replace that conductor. I had almost the exact same problem and i also thought the problem was the power connector / Jack, but it wasnt.

I spent about 75€ for replacing that conductor.

PD Sorry if im not writting the right terms, im not english native and some technical things i have difficulty to translate em into english...
    Post edited by kittyflofy on
  • Options
    stobg2015stobg2015 Member Posts: 800 Arc User
    Thanks for the replies!
    (The Guy Formerly And Still Known As Bluegeek)