test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Endless crashing on Cold Call mission

*contains spoilers*

Long story short: Late last night I decided to play my romulan captain for a bit. I get to the part of the Out in the Cold mission (Breen invasion) where you have to engage the Breen down in the dilithium mine (on Zafira? forgot the name of that planet). All goes well until I enter combat. Instantly the game crashes. Rush back in, skip the file check, and manage to get back into my session. Continue down the mine to the next battle. No problem there, then get to one of those consoles you need to fiddle with. Game crashes again.

This time I switched the game to windowed (maximized) - aka borderless window to everyone but Cryptic - tried again. Crashed within 5 secs of getting into the game. Tried again with DX9 EX. Same thing. Crashes after a short moment. Tried again twice with DX 9 (since I realized the first time I hadn't actually restarted like it tells you to). Still crashes constantly as I move through the mine. Combat, no combat, just standing around waiting for health to regen, it makes no difference. Had six total crashes in less than 30 minutes before I had enough and went to bed.

Now this morning I updated the graphics driver, did the file error check, double checked that the game is set to DX9 borderless window, and went back in. At first it was fine. Then suddenly it crashed again.

With each of these crashes there's no error message. The game just freezes, offloads, and then the error reporter show up.

Either way I cannot get through that mission. My romulan is very oveleveled - she's 53 - but I haven't done any of the stuff past the Borg missions. I did the Nukara dailies and a Borg encounter with her without problems. Did the first parts of the Cold Call without any issues. But as soon as I get to that mine the game just keeps crashing again and again and again.

I haven't played in about three months, but since I got back to the game on Thursday I've been playing my Vulcan science captain. The only problem I had with her was the normal game crash due to the graphics driver restarting (which is caused by incorrect coding of the game. Under the DX11 specification the game is supposed to fully recover from a driver restart). And that crash only happened once during a cutscene, which is also fairly normal for STO.

Hardware:

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.1 GHz / AMD FX990A chipset
16 GB DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX RAM
Asus Geforce GTX 960 Strix 2 GB overclocked (driver 352.86. Crashes with 350.12 too)
CoolerMaster Silent Pro M2 620 W (55 A)
Old WD black harddrives (but work like new)
Windows 7 x64 SP1

EDIT: Fixed the mission name
Post edited by renebrehmer#9819 on

Comments

• itpalgitpalg Member Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think you mean Out in the Cold, as I am doing it right now and constantly crashing in these caves during combat.

I have sent crash reports twice and one bug report.
    ITPaladin.png
  • iron008iron008 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Same here, exactly as described above
  • renebrehmer#9819 renebrehmer Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    itpalg wrote: »
    I think you mean Out in the Cold, as I am doing it right now and constantly crashing in these caves during combat.

I have sent crash reports twice and one bug report.

Yeah, that's the one. Sent a ticket in-game too.

Did a bunch of other missions and other stuff today, without any problem, so def something wrong with this Breen one.
  • ghostravynghostravyn Member Posts: 59 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Let me back you up here. Happened to me on TWO characters that I have recently been playing, and I expect it will happen again.

I want to say it has something to do with combat. I will be testing a few theories with this next crew I run through - but if I don't fight at all and just let the away team handle it I tend to not crash.
    Corrupted Souls, Mindflayer server
    uKc2R.gif
  • sid333sid333 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This is still an issue, has there been a work around or mission fix?
  • dysfunkchiondysfunkchion Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2015
    Similar issue with me. Crashes during Out in the Cold; always in big room with two consoles. Workaround at this stage seems to be to try a fast run - not engaging in combat - you will crash, but if you keep logging straight back in you will eventually get to the end.

Apparently. Haven't been bothered to try this myself, yet, but if no fix is announced soon I guess I'll have to.
  • baiter366baiter366 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2015
  • eazzieeazzie Member Posts: 4,186 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    A fix is coming guys .... its in the tribble patch notes for 05/28
  • tilviustilvius Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    eazzie wrote: »
    A fix is coming guys .... its in the tribble patch notes for 05/28

I really hope a fix is coming. How much stuff I've missed out on the Featured Episodes just sucks. I really would like to do a mission where it doesn't close to desktop.
  • xantusamaruxantusamaru Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I am having the same issue with the same mission. I have never encountered this before. Random crashes once in a while, sure but I cant even load the character anymore. It wont even load the mission. I've tried changing settings in all manner of ways but nothing. My other characters appear to be working fine. If anyone knows why this is happening or how to fix this it would be greatly appreciated.
  • xfire00712xfire00712 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I don't think it has been fixed this "application crashing/CTD" during the mission, "Out in the Cold." I ran into same area at least 4 times and the final battle...