test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What people can do against cyberbullying?

dapperdrakedapperdrake Member Posts: 254 Arc User
Even though I hug the wall and avoid making wave. A player is looking after me to make my game annoying. Fake screenshot, lies, fake situation, and so on. Any fake evidence is good to injure me.
I'm lifetime, I spend money to play and there is no way to play in safety.
So what people can do against cyberbullying? Quit the game?
Post edited by dapperdrake on

Comments

• Options
    aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Pretend they don't exist, because the moment you turn off your computer, they don't exist. Cyber bullies only have power if you give it to them.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I generally ignore it? I've had a few people attack me... oh good grief... I've had a lot... I've even been accused of helping the mob win a local elections by someone who I thought was a friend. Their claim? The guy was Italian... in a city with a large Italian population...

Generally ignore it because usually they're just full of BS and wants to get a rise out of you.
  • Options
    stuart1965stuart1965 Member Posts: 691 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Even though I hug the wall and avoid making wave. A player is looking after me to make my game annoying. Fake screenshot, lies, fake situation, and so on. Any fake evidence is good to injure me.

If this is to do with STO, then simply report them, and cyberbullies try messaging you, put them in your ignore list to block them.
  • Options
    guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Is this a player that's harassing you ingame? File a support ticket and ask for them to escalate this to a senior support staff.

Is this an individual that follows you around online (facebook, other games, etc?)? File a complaint with your Internet Service Provider, and other platforms they harass you in. Then also contact your local/nation cyber division of the police and file a complaint there. (I really don't know if there's a decent name for these divisions).

If your nation doesn't have it, just file a complaint at your local police. Mention you also have filed a complaint at your ISP and whatever service platform they harass you in.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2015
    This would be a much larger case than the odd troll on ESD, unfortunately it even exists OUTSIDE of MMO's, mainly in social media.

Unfortunately all I can suggest is to ignore any direct abuse, and if possible not even read it. As for indirect abuse, such as people spreading false rumors, all I can say is you'll just have to say it isn't true and move on.

Sorry it's not much of a consolation but it's the best I can suggest, as cursing out cyberbullies or trolls only feeds their habit. The only real solution is to starve them for the attention they are seeking.

This isn't D&D, you can't kill Trolls with flames...

(worth noting, you can disable private messages from non-friends/fleetmates, in the in-game privacy options off of the social window, and various channels like zone and local can be disabled in the chat options. For what it's worth...)
  • Options
    induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    aesica wrote: »
    Pretend they don't exist, because the moment you turn off your computer, they don't exist. Cyber bullies only have power if you give it to them.

Running from your problems only alleviates them temporarily, don't be one of the people with the whole "Sticks and stones philosophy" that words can't hurt anyone, they can, and it's been proven that they can have a profound Physiological impact.

Pretending that problems don't exist is never appropriate advice.
  • Options
    guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not to mention turning your pc off doesnt stop cyber bullies from harassing your friends, family or employer.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    guilli88 wrote: »
    Not to mention turning your pc off doesnt stop cyber bullies from harassing your friends, family or employer.

Not to mention they will still be there next time you turn your computer on, unless you are willing to abstain from using your Computer or any similar device completely.
  • Options
    johndroidjohndroid Member Posts: 178 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Be men don't whine like lil boys , either ignore it or go running crying upset like lil boy !!
  • Options
    cavewarkcavewark Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    How can they be bullying you unless its on a third party forum website in which case raise with the moderator and personally any third party website / forum outside of the STO ones are grounds of password hackers and spammers anyway.

If its in game you just stick their handle on ignore and you never have to listen to them again, if its against your In game friends then either they will stick that person on ignore as well OR they arnt really your friends.

Either way it seems strange to be bullied in STO when there are so many ways to avoid players. I suppose more information is needed.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    johndroid wrote: »
    Be men don't whine like lil boys , either ignore it or go running crying upset like lil boy !!

Excuse me, but I believe it is far past your Bed time.
  • Options
    zathri83zathri83 Member Posts: 514 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Cake.

/10char
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If this is in game contact a GM.

If this is on these forums contact Trendy.

If this is elsewhere follow the other contact advise.
    To protect yourself from cyber bullies you need to first insulate what information they can get about you. So use screen names and aliases. Do not mix them. And do not link them to your RL.

And this may sound trite. But no matter where or how the bullying is coming in. Make friends. Not with the bully. Just find those around you to take some of the burden off your shoulders.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Report them, ignore them and keep your personal information private to stop it from spreading beyond the realm of online gaming.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    lan451lan451 Member Posts: 3,386 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Here is the link to report harassment:

https://support.arcgames.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4216/p/100/c/387

Follow the directions on that page as best you can. Hopefully you can get it all worked out.
    JWZrsUV.jpg
    Mine Trap Supporter
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Running from your problems only alleviates them temporarily, don't be one of the people with the whole "Sticks and stones philosophy" that words can't hurt anyone, they can, and it's been proven that they can have a profound Physiological impact.

I've endured my share of bullying, and it wasn't until I embraced the "sticks and stones philosophy" that you seem to be condemning that it truly went away and I started to feel good about myself. Once a person realizes that cyber bullies are irrelevant, pitiable gasbags who's opinions don't matter, everything gets better.

"Don't feed the troll" is a popular phrase, and that's all cyber bullies really are: Obnoxious trolls who have (for whatever reason) made it their mission to try to break you. Unfortunately for them, they can't break you if you don't pay any attention to them. ;)
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • Options
    cypherouscypherous Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited May 2015

What are these "friends" you speak of?
  • Options
    dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    edited May 2015

aesica wrote: »
    I've endured my share of bullying, and it wasn't until I embraced the "sticks and stones philosophy" that you seem to be condemning that it truly went away and I started to feel good about myself. Once a person realizes that cyber bullies are irrelevant, pitiable gasbags who's opinions don't matter, everything gets better.

"Don't feed the troll" is a popular phrase, and that's all cyber bullies really are: Obnoxious trolls who have (for whatever reason) made it their mission to try to break you. Unfortunately for them, they can't break you if you don't pay any attention to them. ;)

Been there, done that - IRL. Took tremendous amounts of mental fortitude to live purely by the "sticks and stones" approach, however, the combination of ignoring the short-term taunts and taking proactive steps to correct / remove the bullying problem wound up doing wonders for me and my sanity.

The only thing with counting on others to help change the situation is that what the OP might think is flagrant bullying might not register on the moderator's tracker / opinion list. Hence the dual-prong approach being best.
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • Options
    jarekcyphusjarekcyphus Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    johndroid wrote: »

HOLY smokes. Grow up, pal.
    STO-sig3.jpg~original
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    edited May 2015

I realize that this may be a strange idea considering some people seem to post everything about themselves online, but keeping your personal info private is the most effective way to counter cyber bullying.

Maybe i am paranoid, but i have never used my own name for online activities since i discovered the net. Use of separate (throwaway) email accounts for gaming etc.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I generally point, laugh, then act like Sigmund Freud. I tun their attack completely against them while laughing even harder.

Eventually they will get so fed up, they tend to leave me alone.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    reynoldsxdreynoldsxd Member Posts: 977 Arc User
    edited May 2015

You need to take a step back from this Situation.

Its a player of an online game spending an inordinate amount of his time creating stuff to annoy you.
    You should put him on the ignore list.
    You should ignore his other activities.
    It will not stop him from doing what he does, but it will stop stressing you out.

What are you afraid of? Being name Called by a random troll? That his doctored whatever will ruin your relation with other players?

Here is a good hint for life in general: anybody easily swayed in his opinion about you because of something someone else told him is neither worth your time nor effort.

TL;DR:

Welcome to life, where you run into random jackasses. Get a tough hide.

questerius wrote: »
    I realize that this may be a strange idea considering some people seem to post everything about themselves online, but keeping your personal info private is the most effective way to counter cyber bullying.

Maybe i am paranoid, but i have never used my own name for online activities since i discovered the net. Use of separate (throwaway) email accounts for gaming etc.

Oh yes. And this.
    Stop broadcasting yourself.
  • Options
    m1957flaxm1957flax Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Use all ignore options available (games and social platforms mostly offer such options).
    Keep your private info private.

If it cannot be contained or spills over to reallife, consider harassment charges. There are quite some "civilized" countries which have sufficient laws to get police and lawyers to work on this.

Personally, I don't care what other people think of me. I'll just take care that my family and my friends do know the truth. In fact those believing TRIBBLE, will not be my friends anymore.
    This isn't easy, but it is the option to survive with your head held upright.
  • Options
    lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Cyberbullying = /addignore..if they are so chickensh** they need a keyboard, they are not worth wasting your time on.

If it spills over in real life - learn to fight because odds are the bully can't (Theodore Roosevelt).
    HzLLhLB.gif

• Options
    thegrandnagus1thegrandnagus1 Member Posts: 5,165 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If someone is bullying/harassing you in game, report them. Afterwards /ignore them and do not respond in any way. That is ALL you should do, end of discussion. Period.

The-Grand-Nagus

og9Zoh0.jpg
  • Options
    whamhammer1whamhammer1 Member Posts: 2,290 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    What these guys above said. Then watch this and think its the bully inside:

http://joecartoon.com/watch/k1bbbc/Frog_in_a_Blender?list=dynamic&category_id=0&synd_channel_id=0&time=last_7_days
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Also, send them to this video:

https://youtu.be/xDwlUZLTRbs
    kNqxcCf.gif
This discussion has been closed.