test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Too Many Free Ships?

repetitiveepicrepetitiveepic Member Posts: 6,549 Arc User
If I am reading the news right, Geko and Salami have decided that there are too many free ships available, so they will be making it impossible to get the Risian Corvette and Cruiser at the next summer event.

Do you think that there are too many free ships if players are able to get the Risian Corvette and Cruiser?

I don't think so, the Risian ships are cool but can they really be depressing c-store sales and stuff?

It seems like for all their focus on getting people to log in, ship sales have trumped it for the summer event.

If it was still possible for new folks to earn all 3 risa ships, they'd have to do 3x as much stuff to get them, which would drive logons and time in game.
free jkname.

#MOGA Make Orions Green Again

zsoRuFM.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't think the free ships have ever been a serious competitor to the hilariously expensive ships they put in stores or lockboxes. The free/event ships have always been vanity items or at best previews for the "real" ships to come (Samsar for instance) in my book. People who really care about the numbers will get the new shinies one way or another, people that care about a partcular kind of ship for reasons of preference or RP will get this one ship and people who don't care at all and take the free ship wouldn't buy the store ship either way.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think you are reading things wrong... Well.. Actually I am confident you are reading them wrong.

All they are saying, is that Pearls wont be the currency any longer.

Not sure where this misinformation is coming from, but it's not from the blog.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    anazonda wrote: »
    I think you are reading things wrong... Well.. Actually I am confident you are reading them wrong.

All they are saying, is that Pearls wont be the currency any longer.

Not sure where this misinformation is coming from, but it's not from the blog.

From the blog...
    Can I slot a new project for a Risian Corvette or Risian Luxury Cruiser?

No. These ships are being retired with the start of the 2015 Lohlunat Festival.

...the number of folks having a cow would be much smaller if it was just the Pearls going away.

angrytarg wrote: »
    I don't think the free ships have ever been a serious competitor to the hilariously expensive ships they put in stores or lockboxes. The free/event ships have always been vanity items or at best previews for the "real" ships to come (Samsar for instance) in my book. People who really care about the numbers will get the new shinies one way or another, people that care about a partcular kind of ship for reasons of preference or RP will get this one ship and people who don't care at all and take the free ship wouldn't buy the store ship either way.

People have varying opinions on them...but I still believe that if they sported Fed skins, one would see a Hell of a lot more of them around.

Though to be honest, the only one I haven't seen much of is the Plesh Brek...either in game or on the forums talking about how awesome it is. Chel Grett, Sarr Theln, Corvette, and Luxury Cruiser all have folks out there that picture them as their ship of choice.

The Samsar is probably the most common ship I see flying around as well.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't think there's too many free ships, not once you get to end game and are Lvl. 60. The freebies stop at Lvl. 40 and the only things after that are event ships like these Risian ships or the Breen ones.

So I'd say there's a shortage of ships at higher levels unless you want to fork out 3000Z's per ship.

The reward ships from these events i've always looked upon as a taster of what else is out there. They are a good fun and free way to try out some alternative playstyles and see if you might find something new to try.
    Heck I got the Dyson freebie ship and was so impressed with a combo of sci + tac that I went and bought a Vesta to take advantage of it. And the Samsar has made me enjoy a cruiser for the first time in years. And the Sar Theln carrier is one of the best multi-faction ship's I've seen for a while considering it's free.

The freebie ships are not going to be top of the line but they can be pretty close if you know how to use them. Still plenty of Samsars kicking about despite the CBC's being superior. Still plenty of Sar Thelns around too.

The real reason they have made this change is because they want their metrics to show people logging on during the whole event and the only way to get that is to have a new currency each time and make the ships super-unique to that event.
    Clearly they feel people "hoarding" currency from previous events is a no-no despite the fact you had to earn it somewhere in the first place.

They want you to play the game how they think it should be played...all other ways will be nerfed or removed.
    SulMatuul.png
  • induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So before everyone complained the game was Pay to Win and now there are too many free ships?

What?
  • praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The Sarr Theln is actually a really good ship.
  • emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'd wager the risian ships are getting T6 replacements for the summer festival.

This is not about Cryptic wanting us to have fewer ships. This is about Cryptic forcing us to grind all future events to pad their metrics instead of allowing us to stockpile rewards so we won't have to grind as hard in future.
    If it was still possible for new folks to earn all 3 risa ships, they'd have to do 3x as much stuff to get them, which would drive logons and time in game.

The people at Cryptic don't see it this way. They think that this will lead to new players never being able to catch up, so they want to start fresh and create a system where all players will be on equal footing. And the fun thing with "equal footing" in an MMO is that it inherently f*cks over newer players more than it f*cks over older players.
  • latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    So before everyone complained the game was Pay to Win and now there are too many free ships?

What?

I have literally seen it all now.

You guys are seriously talented in your ability to find literally anything to cry and moan about.

Being so ridiculously angry at anything and everything is just as dumb and as blinded as accepting anything the developers do...
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited May 2015

Very simple reason for that: free starship trait. At least I used the ship for that reason ONLY on all my characters.
    And returned to my beloved chel grett (or whatever other ships) after that.
    If the trait on the next free T6 ship is any good, I'll be leveling that ship too and switch back to my previous ship.

But seriously, that there are too many free ships around and that devs want to reduce that number to boost sales is simply an interpretation of a single sentence in a Q&A that referred to something completely different. In other words: BS.
    Go pro or go home
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If I am reading the news right, Geko and Salami have decided that there are too many free ships available, so they will be making it impossible to get the Risian Corvette and Cruiser at the next summer event.

Do you think that there are too many free ships if players are able to get the Risian Corvette and Cruiser?

I don't think so, the Risian ships are cool but can they really be depressing c-store sales and stuff?

It seems like for all their focus on getting people to log in, ship sales have trumped it for the summer event.

I think it's a little bit simpler.

I do not think that the "retired" event ships stand to hurt their actual ship sales. Their current ship sales are Tier 6 ships, most of the event ships are still TIer 5. Upgradeable perhaps, but mechanically definitely no longer top-of-the-line.

If event ships get retired, it means people have to acquire them during the time they are on. If they want them all, it means coming back once, twice or three times a year (dependent on how many such events exist) for several days.

Allowing people to get old ships means they could afford to lapse a year. Allowing people to "pre-grind" in one year does so, too.

A lot with Delta Rising (even before, actually, like he Crafting system) is about to add incentives to come back to the game. Every day, every year, every event.

Yeah, it sucks if you want to have a particular event ship on an alt you started later. But people with altits is not Cryptic's main concern here, and they'll probably live through it - they already spend so much time, effort and money in the game that they are likely also emotionally invested and are not so easy to scare away.
    Maybe it doesn't work for everyone, but there is very little that they could do (and be financially useful to them) that will work for everyone.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2015

I don't think they are likely to cut into ship sales. You don't see people flying the event ships that much. Not even the latest T6 ones.

Letting people slot all the ship projects absolutely would increase participation. Though, not as much as it could because old players have that pesky discount. If I was in charge, I would've axed the discount instead...all those Recruits in need of ships would've guaranteed Risa to be full all summer.

But, what if they're "retiring" the Corvette & Cruiser so they can release "new" ones at T6, thus saving all the work creating a reward ship? Maybe they spent all their ship design budget on the flood of C-Store packs and are looking to cut corners by re-hashing the old ships with minor stat tweaks?
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I think one thing they've done wrong that's caused this problem is the discount for alts is so large it easily creates a means for players to "hoard" currency for future use, meaning eventually you may end up with barely anyone playing your events with more than one single alt then using hoarded currency to buy the ships at rock-bottom prices.

Heck if you have 10 alts and spent one year running them all through the event dailies for 25 days each you'd amass so many pearls or whatever you've barely need to play the following event for several years, other than the odd run to "top-up" your stockpiles.

I reckon they underestimated how much the discount would effect the amount of use their events get so they are trying to level things off...but as usual they mess it up.
    SulMatuul.png
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    praxi5 wrote: »
    The Sarr Theln is actually a really good ship.

FT5U Breen Chel Grett Warship (Destroyer)
    4 Tac - 4 Eng - 3 Sci
    X, X, X, X
    X, X

X, X
    X, X, X
    U
    4/4 Weapons, 1.0 Shield Mod, 13 Turn

FT5U Breen Plesh Brek Heavy Raider
    5 Tac - 3 Eng - 3 Sci
    X, X, X, X
    U, U, U
    U, U
    U, U
    U

4/2 Weapons, 0.88 Shield Mod, 19 Turn

FT6 Breen Sarr Theln Carrier
    4 Tac - 3 Eng - 4 Sci
    X, X, X
    I, I
    X, X, X, X
    X, X

U, U
    3/3 Weapons, 1.2 Shield Mod, 7 Turn, 2 Hangars

FT5U Risian Corvette
    4 Tac - 4 Eng - 3 Sci
    X, X, X, X
    X, X

X, X, X
    X, X
    U
    4/3 Weapons, 0.9 Shield Mod, 21 Turn

FT5U Risian Luxury Cruiser
    4 Tac - 5 Eng - 2 Sci
    X, X, X
    X, X, X, X
    X

X, X
    U, U
    4/4 Weapons, 1.1 Shield Mod, 10 Turn

Like I said, the Plesh Brek was the only one I didn't really see folks going "oooh" over. But they were all Fleet T5 boats and the Sarr Theln was Fleet T6...

...unlike what we saw with:

Bortas/Odyssey which were 9 console T5s as a preview for the FT5 10 console Bortasqu'/Odyssey C-Store ships.
    Kamarag/Ambassador which were 9 console T5s which became available as FT5 10 console Fleet variants (no discount, single toon unlock) with the K'Maj/Yamaguchi.
    Obelisk Carrier which was a 9 console T5 as a preview for the FT5 10 console Advanced Obelisk Carrier from the Lobi Store.
    Dyson Science Destroyers which were 9 console T5s as a preview for the FT5 10 console Advanced Science Destroyer C-Store ships.

Where they changed things up for the 5th Anniversary with Samsar.

FT6 Kobali Samsar Cruiser
    3 Tac - 5 Eng - 3 Sci
    X, X
    X, X, X, X
    C, C, C

X, X, X
    U
    4/4 Weapons, 1.15 Shield Mod, 7 Turn

Though unlike the DSDs which became available in the Lobi Store quickly (folks wanting to "complete" the ADSDs) for 600 Lobi so folks could grab the Core/Deflector, the Samsar hasn't appeared with a way for folks to get the Regenerative Integrity Field console (part of the 4pc Command Platforms set with the Command Battlecruisers) nor the Emergency Response Starship Trait.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2015

People have varying opinions on them...but I still believe that if they sported Fed skins, one would see a Hell of a lot more of them around.

Though to be honest, the only one I haven't seen much of is the Plesh Brek...either in game or on the forums talking about how awesome it is. Chel Grett, Sarr Theln, Corvette, and Luxury Cruiser all have folks out there that picture them as their ship of choice.

Well, the Breen ships are a special case since they are canon(esque) ships from the shows. When people like to play Breen, which they can't otherwise, they at least go for the ships. The Risian ships, the Samsar, the Dyson ships - that's all random spaceframes that don't really have any appeal aside from if you happen to somehow dig how they look.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    personally speaking im not really bothered by this, I got these ships when they were first available for my 3 main characters and im not really bothered not to get them for my delta alts.

I think cryptic have been pretty generous cutting down on what you need to do to get event ships for the characters you have and removing the ability to get these ships for future characters or new players is understandable to me, in fact I was pretty surprised when they offered the feature in the first place.

players will just have to get used to the fact that you must get these event ships when they are available or miss out.
    you only need to do the maximum number of 25 runs with one character and then once for each other character that you want the ship for so there is no reason you should not be able to get these for all the characters you have.

the only thing I would say is I hope they keep the ability to trade in any future extra tokens like they are with the pearls, I enjoy doing the tasks and it would be cool to be able to trade unneeded tokens for different prizes.
    top of my list would be something like they do with the mirror and CC events and give us the chance to trade any unneeded tokens for dilithium, that would be sweet.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If anything OP just the opposite. The low cutoff for XP ships is insane as there are NO free T6 unless you do events. So if you can't afford to shell out several hundred dollars or more for all the T6 ships unique to each faction you are SOL especially with the insane Dilth to Zen ratio and the remvoal of earn Zen.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »

I always wonder at those posts what people mean with competetive. Most free ships you get have no problem topping 20k dps with decent gear, far more you need for pretty much any queue in this game. Sure, they wont do records, but on the other hand 99% of the playersbase wont to records, and I guess 70% are still trying to figure out why missions fail and how to do 10k...

But to call the free ships vanity items... boy, thats just way off target.

But we all know that they will come back with small changes in the skin and as T6, just to have the grind going. Not to mention, the risa escort was pretty much the first pilot ship ingame (well, technically the JHAS was as turny, but the Risa corvet just goes weeeeeeeeeeeh), and I fathom its T6-variant will get that spezialisation.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    If anything OP just the opposite. The low cutoff for XP ships is insane as there are NO free T6 unless you do events. So if you can't afford to shell out several hundred dollars or more for all the T6 ships unique to each faction you are SOL especially with the insane Dilth to Zen ratio and the remvoal of earn Zen.
    Why would you need to own every T6 ship in a Faction? Many people get by just fine only owning 1, or a few T6s, or even none at all.

And let us not get too hung-up on the Dilithium Exchange rate. The difference between 250 and 200 is 8 cents a day for the average player. I really do not believe too many people are crying themselves to sleep over losing 8 cents today.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
    edited May 2015
    dpglerch wrote: »
    Ya I can agree with that there are to many free ships if you bribe people to return that is only a short term fix unless you keep paying them off. The main reason I see people leaving is because of all the bugs and a sense the company couldn't care less. "turn in a bug report in game then look it up under your accounts tickets it never makes it that far"

"whether you are a f2p player or paid, an in game bug is still a bug that needs addressing."

Post on the forums you might think, that is also pointless unless there are hundreds of players ticked about the same problem then maybe you might get some feed back.

I would disagree with that, I reported a bug that the devs were unaware of, got a reply and the bug was fixed very quickly.
    I will agree there are bugs that need fixing but there will always be bugs in any game.

edited May 2015
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    I think one thing they've done wrong that's caused this problem is the discount for alts is so large it easily creates a means for players to "hoard" currency for future use, meaning eventually you may end up with barely anyone playing your events with more than one single alt then using hoarded currency to buy the ships at rock-bottom prices.

Heck if you have 10 alts and spent one year running them all through the event dailies for 25 days each you'd amass so many pearls or whatever you've barely need to play the following event for several years, other than the odd run to "top-up" your stockpiles.

I reckon they underestimated how much the discount would effect the amount of use their events get so they are trying to level things off...but as usual they mess it up.

that's true, I have enough Q pics to last about 4 years so I can see this is correct but the only alternative to changing the tokens is reducing the discount and that would cause outrage from a greater number of players then this has.

the ideal solution for me would be to offer alternative rewards once the main prize has been gained, this just leads me back to the comment on my previous posting to give us the ability to trade extra tokens for dilithium, this would stop players hording and would give players a reason to play the event ship mission as much as possible right up to the end of the event.

• jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Removing the pearls : Not a big deal

Removing past event ships though people might wanna grind for them? : The dumbest idea ive ever seen in all my years of gaming both on home console and online gaming.

Adding ship Emojis : ....:confused: I take it back THIS is the stupidest idea ive ever seen in all my years of gaming both on home console and online gaming.

Ladies and gentlemen the jumping of the shark has now commenced on STO
    edited May 2015
    Huge difference "bobbydazlers Career Officer" try to report in game on a off month or alt account. Then track your ticket see how far it gets.

that's a change of tune to what you said before >
    Ya I can agree with that there are to many free ships if you bribe people to return that is only a short term fix unless you keep paying them off. The main reason I see people leaving is because of all the bugs and a sense the company couldn't care less. "turn in a bug report in game then look it up under your accounts tickets it never makes it that far"

"whether you are a f2p player or paid, an in game bug is still a bug that needs addressing."

Post on the forums you might think, that is also pointless unless there are hundreds of players ticked about the same problem then maybe you might get some feed back.

edited May 2015
    Meaning from what I hear f2p can not report while in game, how does that differ from before

besides which how do you know I did not report the bug "on a off month" or for that matter before I was LTS in my FTP days.
    you make a lot of assumptions don't you.

I have never had any difficulty reporting bugs before LTS or after, they don't always get fixed quickly and some not at all but that's life.

• woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I would disagree with that, I reported a bug that the devs were unaware of, got a reply and the bug was fixed very quickly.
    I will agree there are bugs that need fixing but there will always be bugs in any game.

Guess that was a bug that benefited players. They are rather fast fixing that, if too many players use it. Guess the 3pc hazari was just underused and thus could be taken lightly.
    edited May 2015
    woodwhity wrote: »
    Guess that was a bug that benefited players. They are rather fast fixing that, if too many players use it. Guess the 3pc hazari was just underused and thus could be taken lightly.

to the best of my knowledge it was likely a bug that had only affected me and wasn't a bug you would likely see very often, that's why like I said the devs were unaware of it.

I accidentally lost an item that I should have been able to claim back for free but as a rom character I could not claim it though my fed and kdf could have but of course it was bound to character.

the item was not paid for but an item I received for free during an event.

• meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Let's face it, the free ships were always an incentive for you to buy extra ship slots and/or a means to give you a 'free' console, that you then need 3 other C-Store ships for to form a complete set with. And you know what?! I got no problem with that.

What I *do* have a problem with, however, is having run out of ships slots -- from being a loyal customer, you know -- and now no longer having a way to add new ships, ever, or be forced to discharge an old one.

Tl;dr: there's not too many free ships in this game, but too few ships slots to purchase.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't think there are too many free ships and imho, changing the currency isn't really a big deal either. But, like many of the above posters, retiring the past ships is a stupid idea UNLESS they are coming back as T6, which I would be ok with.

Now on the PR and good business sense on the retirement of ships if they are not coming back as T6. How about go with this is the last year of being able to get the Cruiser, and Corvette along with the changing of the currency. That would be the fairest way to do it. This would get people to log in for one last chance to get the ship, Cryptic get people running the daily for the new currency and keeping with the f***ing metrics and players can get the ship.
    HzLLhLB.gif

• laferrari1laferrari1 Member Posts: 434 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Things like ship slots are a plague, they straight make no sense. If someone wants to buy a new ship, let them buy a freaking new ship, not charge them even more money in order to be able to use something he/she had bought!
    I need to get to him. I can't just leave him out there alone. - Sometimes you've got to makes sacrifices, Lara. You can't save everyone. - I know about sacrifices. - No, you know about loss. Sacrifice is a choice you make. Loss is a choice made for you. - I can't choose to let him die, Roth.
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    What i don't understand is why people are saying the "free" ships are no good because 'T6'. There are players out there still flying Excel's, Obelisk's and Atrox's at end game. Heck I've even seen some flying Connies! Simply because they want to fly that ship.

Of course they aren'tT6 ships, they were never mean to be! Some of them are though very good T5/U ships.

I really wanted the RLC for my Rom Delta Recruit, because frankly, it's the only decent "assault cruiser" available to Roms. It's actually a darn good ship to fly. The closet alternative is the Mirror Mogai, but that doesn't get a -U option.

Retiring the the event currency each year? Fine, i can live with that.
    Retiring the old event ships? NO WAY!

If not in the Zen/Lobi store, how about the GPL store? Few people bother playing Dabo to get GPL because there really isn't that much that's worth buying, but what if there were retired event ships for sale there? The Dabo table at Drozana would be packed to the rafters!
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    What's keeping me from using my own actual money to buy ships from the store?

T6 and T5U are.

I used to buy the three pack (back when the set consoles sucked and weren't worth the slot) when I wanted just one of the ships because eventually I'd probably have a captain for the other two.

Now that ships expire, purchases for the possible future make much less sense.

The upgrade only works on one variant not the entire class.

That's why I don't buy ships any more.

I don't have confidence in them being around long enough to be worth it.

Plus now I have to make sure I like not only the look of the ship but the spec of the ship, usually site unseen.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.