Options

Too Many Free Ships?

13»

Comments

• Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    bloodyriz wrote: »
    It is unlocked at the lower cost of 40 pearls. But not free, and if the pearls are done away with the other toons will not be able to get it anyway.

sorry, what does this say?

We will be making every event ship you’ve ever earned and every event ship moving forward total account unlocks. As soon as one character on your account owns a ship, every single other character on your account that exists now or you will ever create will have immediate access to any event ship you’ve earned. There will be no need for your alts to play the event mission, no hoops to fly through other than picking up the ship from a store. Hopefully taking this extra step will address any lingering concerns you have with the overall change. Thanks for reading this far, and I look forward to seeing you on Risa soon!

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Dude this is the STO community. They will complain about anything.

If Cryptic gave everyone their weight in gold...

Skinny people would complain that the fat people were getting more.

Fat people would complain that the gold was too heavy to move.

Some would complain they wanted bars instead of coins.

Some would complain that gold is worth more in other countries.

Some would complain that the gold should have been spent fixing lag.

etc etc etc :rolleyes:

Be nifty if they could things straightened out on the ARC forums for all the issues folks raised in that one thread...cause that would make a nifty signature. :D
  • Options
    millimidgetmillimidget Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The smart way to have done this was to implement it after the summer event, and finish out a Risian trio.

I'd also like the Cochrane shotgun some day but this makes me think it's not likely to make a reapperance.
    "Tolerance and apathy are the last virtues of a dying society." - Aristotle
  • Options
    bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Yes I like the new solution, I wish they would leave the ships as available for people who do not have them, but they are at least meeting us half way now.
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Dude this is the STO community. They will complain about anything.

If Cryptic gave everyone their weight in gold...

Skinny people would complain that the fat people were getting more.

Fat people would complain that the gold was too heavy to move.

Some would complain they wanted bars instead of coins.

Some would complain that gold is worth more in other countries.

Some would complain that the gold should have been spent fixing lag.

etc etc etc :rolleyes:

Yep... The greatest irony in all this...

People TRIBBLE and moan that T5U is not good enough at best, because it's not T6, useless at worst, because it is not T6...

Now that a couple T5U ships are being taken away, people are pissing and moaning about that...

This is despite us undoubtedly having access to a (virtually) free T6 - most probably a Pilot ship - with this year's Summer Event...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    ssbn655ssbn655 Member Posts: 1,894 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Why would you need to own every T6 ship in a Faction? Many people get by just fine only owning 1, or a few T6s, or even none at all.

And let us not get too hung-up on the Dilithium Exchange rate. The difference between 250 and 200 is 8 cents a day for the average player. I really do not believe too many people are crying themselves to sleep over losing 8 cents today.

Completley missed my point. Plus there are several reasons to have all the varients of the T6 ships THE SHIP VARIENT UNIQUE CONSOLES that can be used to really amp up a ship. Oh yeah in case you haven't paid attention one T6 ship is 30 bucks so say you run all three factions just for ONE T6 ship ship on you factions is 90 bucks. PLUS say ypu run all three classes of Toons and want the unique ship for them and you are playing all 3 factions ...well it doesn't take a genius to figure out thats a good chunk of cash or grinding.
  • Options
    timpantstimpants Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    imruined wrote: »
    Yep... The greatest irony in all this...

People TRIBBLE and moan that T5U is not good enough at best, because it's not T6, useless at worst, because it is not T6...

Now that a couple T5U ships are being taken away, people are pissing and moaning about that...

This is despite us undoubtedly having access to a (virtually) free T6 - most probably a Pilot ship - with this year's Summer Event...

There's a lot of different people posting on the forums. Have you considered that the people complaining about T5U ships are a different group to the ones complaining that they're taking away theold event ships?
  • Options
    baudlbaudl Member Posts: 4,060 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    ssbn655 wrote: »
    Completley missed my point. Plus there are several reasons to have all the varients of the T6 ships THE SHIP VARIENT UNIQUE CONSOLES that can be used to really amp up a ship. Oh yeah in case you haven't paid attention one T6 ship is 30 bucks so say you run all three factions just for ONE T6 ship ship on you factions is 90 bucks. PLUS say ypu run all three classes of Toons and want the unique ship for them and you are playing all 3 factions ...well it doesn't take a genius to figure out thats a good chunk of cash or grinding.

the text in read made me spit out my drink all over the screen...simply hilarious! :D

the green text: It sometimes takes a genius to realize that all you said is freaking optional and only appeals to completionist idiots. Obviously you are not that kind of genius.
    Go pro or go home
  • Options
    tarrynrextarrynrex Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Though to be honest, the only one I haven't seen much of is the Plesh Brek...either in game or on the forums talking about how awesome it is. Chel Grett, Sarr Theln, Corvette, and Luxury Cruiser all have folks out there that picture them as their ship of choice.

The Samsar is probably the most common ship I see flying around as well.

I think you'll find that the problem is actually the developer's own fault for giving away the T6 ships. As they have the ship trait. Most people are flying these ships to get the trait then just going on to the next T6 with a trait, before they go back to whatever their favourite ship is.

This is the only reason I'm flying a Samsar just now. I actually don't like the ship that much... but it was free and it has a trait. Like many other players, I'm just building up a list of options for ship traits and then will go back to fly my favourite ship later on.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Ya, but it doesnt speak to locking new players out of getting the corvette and cruiser.

Well, it might. Depending on how one interprets this line:

The ship wasn’t only powerful, but was a status symbol for someone that was there when the event ran.

So, if:
    1) the ships are a reward for participating in a particular event (which also jives with the "new currency each year, so you have to participate in that event to get that ship" thing)

and

2) ships will now be account unlocks, so that a person who gets the Winter 2015 ship will always have access to it on all their characters (i.e, they can still have their "status symbol" on newer alts)

...there is therefore no need to have ships from older events in the event store anymore. The Winter 2015 ship is for people who participate in Winter 2015. The Winter 2016 ship is for people who participate in Winter 2016. Ditto for Summer, Anniversary, etc.

The only question would be whether they continued making console "sets" for the ships, or not. "Not" would certainly be easier from a balance & development standpoint.

But this is just speculation.

edit: and, just to be clear.... I don't have a problem with that setup. No complaints here. Yes, it was nice to be able to get the Breen raider (if only for the carrier pets) this year, since I'd missed last Winter, but if I hadn't been able to? Eh, I'd live.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    wooooo. status symbols. yay. can you feel my excitement over having a status symbol?

I'd rather see more Corvettes in play.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Come on guys... They were going to pull these event ships entirely then the forum went in an uproar (that announfement thread went up like 20 pages as i was reading it) and they decided to throw us a bone and allow getting the old event ships on alts that might not have them. This is more than they were originally offering and i applaud the decision to compromise. Its like the sb holo projects each winter.. If you werent there, you dont get to it. IRL if i miss an event, and say they give away free autographed posters, but i go the event the following week r year, and they give away say a backpack or something instead, theyre not gonna give you the poster AND the backpack, if you werent there, you miss out. Its just how these types of things work. While I am immensely grateful for being able to have all three ships available last winter event (i had missed the can opener the year prior), it was actually a welcome surprise as I didnt expect them to. Granted i wouldve kicked myself because if they didnt i wouldve missed the pets, its not something i felt entitled to them doing.
  • Options
    megacharge07megacharge07 Member Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The only thing I see depressing Cstore ship sales are the outlandish prices.

I don't think we have too many free ships. The free ones (IMO) tend to not be up to the standard of zen/lockbox ones.
    tumblr_mt0cmzAQpC1rm3hhlo2_500.gif
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The only thing I see depressing Cstore ship sales are the outlandish prices.

I don't think we have too many free ships. The free ones (IMO) tend to not be up to the standard of zen/lockbox ones.

Not always.. The sarr theln is a nasty beast to be sure, and flaunts arguably the best elite pets available