Options

the dominion is coming

Comments

• Options
    jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Then don't invite it.

Simple? Good, now move along.

:confused: didnt some harkkonen kill you when they seized the palace on arakis?

or was that an imposter duncan idaho :D
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    IE. larger, more powerful, but less dominion-like neighboring powers in the GQ constraining the dominion's possible expansion, leading to an attempted land-grab in AQ/BQ space (to change the game in the Dominion's home territory).

unless the dominion has a neighbour that is directly as strong in military strength and just as capable in spying and sabotage while having the ability to remain vigilant of anyone iwthin their own circle. i mean the thing that works for the dominion is how effective the dominion are with the founders in disguise. i mean as i stated, its possible but unlikely.

its also not out of the realm of chance that there are no other enemies in the quadrant and the dominion have such advanced techniques that were never deployed in the alpha or beta quadrants, something like a giant replicator in space on a huge space station that is capable of turning solar power into every material the dominion would require without need to strip mine a planet with millions of slaves and hendreds of millions of jem'hadars making sure the work is done and millions of vorta for logistics. that means the dominion have never had need to expand beyond the area they control in the quadrant for a thousand years at least and it mean they wouldnt need to have that many planets, it would also bee a heck of a lot harder to take out the dominion in such a small area.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    :confused: didnt some harkkonen kill you when they seized the palace on arakis?

or was that an imposter duncan idaho :D

That was DI number 1. :P
    unless the dominion has a neighbour that is directly as strong in military strength and just as capable in spying and sabotage while having the ability to remain vigilant of anyone iwthin their own circle. i mean the thing that works for the dominion is how effective the dominion are with the founders in disguise. i mean as i stated, its possible but unlikely.

its also not out of the realm of chance that there are no other enemies in the quadrant and the dominion have such advanced techniques that were never deployed in the alpha or beta quadrants, something like a giant replicator in space on a huge space station that is capable of turning solar power into every material the dominion would require without need to strip mine a planet with millions of slaves and hendreds of millions of jem'hadars making sure the work is done and millions of vorta for logistics. that means the dominion have never had need to expand beyond the area they control in the quadrant for a thousand years at least and it mean they wouldnt need to have that many planets, it would also bee a heck of a lot harder to take out the dominion in such a small area.

Well what I'm saying is that become that effective isn't done just because its best (see. Lemarkian versus Darwinian evolution, it happens because of pressure, not because progress is infinitely justifiable). It probably (if you assume the ST universe operates with logic as opposed to narrative convenience) developed because the dominion had to respond to other, powerful powers in the quadrant which they still need an effective Vorta diplomatic core and Jem'Hadar military to compete with (or that dominion subjugated society is so unstable that they are in constant need of military threats and social manipulators, but that's a very hard argument to make with what DS9 portrayed. Particularly, having a war out on the other side of the galaxy.)

That competition keeps the Dominion on form while pressuring them to seek strategic gains outside of the normal playing field. Ex. new territory (uncontested by their immediate rivals.) There you get the dominion as it is (big, tough) and the dominion as it lunged at the AQ/BQ. I don't think its as likely that their massive industrial effort constrained them up to the point where they made contact with the FED (although I do like your suggestion for how that may be carried out, though they may be able to afford a slighly less intense approach). Rather, there was something on the outside keeping that effort up which the FED/KDF/Rom/Card/Breen offered a trump card for.

It may also be worth pointing out that whoever else may be in the GQ may not be as developed in certain areas that the Dominion are (but are more developed in areas that the Dominion aren't). Think of sharing a border with whomever built the whale probes in Voyage Home. Sure, the dominion is advanced, but their tech and approach isn't going to work well with some types of civilizations (particularly non-humanoid) as much as they may keep trying (because their own social structure constrains their alternatives).

Another possibility may also be that the dominion is what it is because that model worked for its early expansion and over time simply kept going (successful expansionist tactic that constrained further social evolution beyond the initial soldier-caste conquest model), but if STO visits the GQ that may be the less interesting world-building choice. :)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    cptjhunter wrote: »
    This is why. I think I stated it earlier. The changelings cannot be used as Player characters, Unless the changelings are not Player characters, the Dominion will not be used.
    The way I see it they could fill the role of mission givers etc. Kinda like Quinn, D'Tan, or J'mpok. Well... on the rare occasions you see one.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    That was DI number 1. :P

Well what I'm saying is that become that effective isn't done just because its best (see. Lemarkian versus Darwinian evolution, it happens because of pressure, not because progress is infinitely justifiable). It probably (if you assume the ST universe operates with logic as opposed to narrative convenience) developed because the dominion had to respond to other, powerful powers in the quadrant which they still need an effective Vorta diplomatic core and Jem'Hadar military to compete with (or that dominion subjugated society is so unstable that they are in constant need of military threats and social manipulators, but that's a very hard argument to make with what DS9 portrayed. Particularly, having the war in the first place.)

i get where you are coming from with that, but the founders pre-programmed that fighting ability into the jem'hadar, so they are already battle ready. that could of taken hundreds of years to perfect in the jem'hadar strain they use as soldiers. but using that evolution thing which i almost had no idea what you wrote in that bit, the founders could of used this strain from this race to uplift them and keep their racial traits of violence, but with a few adjustments added to the genetic instructions. in effect, you wouldnt need to have another enemy to fight every time when you have get in right first time by using the natural aggression in the uplifted creature.

by custom tailoring the vorta for specific duties and pre-programming advanced reasoning skills to outsmart an enemy and effectively winning round after round. that same instruction in that one clone can be extracted after death and then copied into every new generation of vorta, so in effect every new vorta would be instant expert strategetists and leaders. its entirely possible that each dead vorta contributes to the whole to refine the strategies and tactics in their own fields.
  • Options
    mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    And what we may get within the Dominion is a Civil War/uprising. The playable group would be rebels, perhaps answering to Odo and/or Laas?

Well, last I checked, I'd beaten Laas (in an overly long, three-stage fight) and given him the ultimate punishment: Using him in a DOFF mission.
    big problem with that idea. The Preservers are humanoids, the Founders aren't.

The Founders were once 'solids' as the Female Changling made mention of in one episode. At some point in their past, that changed.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • Options
    quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    The way I see it they could fill the role of mission givers etc. Kinda like Quinn, D'Tan, or J'mpok. Well... on the rare occasions you see one.

A Founder! Of course! All this time we assumed Quinn was Undine, but he's a Founder!
    w8xekp.jpg
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    i get where you are coming from with that, but the founders pre-programmed that fighting ability into the jem'hadar, so they are already battle ready. that could of taken hundreds of years to perfect in the jem'hadar strain they use as soldiers. but using that evolution thing which i almost had no idea what you wrote in that bit, the founders could of used this strain from this race to uplift them and keep their racial traits of violence, but with a few adjustments added to the genetic instructions. in effect, you wouldnt need to have another enemy to fight every time when you have get in right first time by using the natural aggression in the uplifted creature.

by custom tailoring the vorta for specific duties and pre-programming advanced reasoning skills to outsmart an enemy and effectively winning round after round. that same instruction in that one clone can be extracted after death and then copied into every new generation of vorta, so in effect every new vorta would be instant expert strategetists and leaders. its entirely possible that each dead vorta contributes to the whole to refine the strategies and tactics in their own fields.

The pre-programming probably relate intimately to how the Founders created the Dominion and I definitely agree that it probably wasn't an overnight thing. The Vorta may have been a useful mediator species which at least a few individuals found a lucrative role. But, because they're insecure about solids, the Founders needed more control which is where you get genetic alterations. Perhaps with the Vorta they were offered at first as social enhancements (win more deals with this insight upgrade) but as dependency on those enhancements grew they became a client species of the Founders (though being mediators rather than soldiers they maintained the ability to interact with each other and other species). Ditto Jem'Hadar, they may have been useful mercinaries once upon a time who jumped at the bio-medical advances the fledgling dominion could offer. Then over time they became entirely dependent on those modifcations (resulting in still further time in a dedicated warrior caste.)

Then once you have that system of biological assembly, you can then develop other things (like the serial lives of vorta) which would help immensely with, as you say, strategy and tactics.

Sounds like a very familiar idea though...these gholas. :D
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,781 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    IMHO I hope this NEVER happens!

It would be a complete farse, 'shoehorning' the Dominion in as a playable faction, too much "space Magic" would required, and it would end up not being even remotely "Star Trek" but "Cryptic Trek".

No! ... Juts no.

As some added playable races? Ok. A few more ships even? Fair enough.

I'd much prefer Cryptic to use the wealth of material available in the Delta Quadrant. A "Trader" faction? An "Explorer" faction? With the sheer number of races available and the huge amount of stories only partially told by ST:V, there are far more options for better factions and better stories.

(And no I don't mean a 'Talaxian" faction, There are way more suitable candidates than them, although as an optional playable race, that would be ok. You could also add 'Delta Humans' and 'Delta Klingons' in as well)

Have the player start in the Delta Quadrant and slowly discover the Beta, Alpha and Gamma Quadrants.

Again though, just MHO
    Oh, hoho hohhhhh, Oh,, hoho, hohhhhh
    My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zps5etu86s1.png
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited May 2015

The Dominion wouldn't have need of slave labor, with Jem'Hadar and Vorta overseers. Canon suggests that the Dominion has a standard system of trade and mercantilism between it's members (overseen by merchant-minded members, like the Karemma), rather than a brutal, rigid, state-run, milspec economy. In fact, based on Hanok's comments, the Dominion actually buys at least some of it's ordnance from it's members.

And, judging from canon, the Dominion was consistently expansionist in the Gamma Quadrant throughout it's history, through trickery, annexation, voluntary membership, conquest, or diplomacy. Two known recent examples are the T-Rogoran and Yaderans in the 24th Century.

Considering that it has been said that the Dominion was made up of "numerous species", I would suspect a far-ranging empire rather than a small "fortress" state.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,825 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    psiameese wrote: »
    Why? The Lock Box ships would still have the benefit of being faction Neutral, right? If anything, I'd predict Dominion faction player's to cry foul that some of their canon designs are entirely faction neutral. That would be unique situation that no other faction can claim. The Lock Box starship owner's come out ahead.

Think about it...wouldn't it be 100% silly if the faction that built those ships has inferior versions of those stolen one?

No matter which way you cut it people wont be happy...if a Dominion faction had better ships than the lock box ones you know the forums would be littered with lots of entitled whining...

If the lock box ships are better than the factions ships I could see why Dominion players could be genuinely upset...
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Well, last I checked, I'd beaten Laas (in an overly long, three-stage fight) and given him the ultimate punishment: Using him in a DOFF mission.

The Founders were once 'solids' as the Female Changling made mention of in one episode. At some point in their past, that changed.
    Right, but doesn't the doff mission eventually lead to him returning to the Gamma Q?

I don't remember an episode that said the Founders were ever physically any different than they are now. they used to be more peaceful, but...
    quintaris wrote: »
    A Founder! Of course! All this time we assumed Quinn was Undine, but he's a Founder!
    Well I lolled. :D
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Think about it...wouldn't it be 100% silly if the faction that built those ships has inferior versions of those stolen one?

No matter which way you cut it people wont be happy...if a Dominion faction had better ships than the lock box ones you know the forums would be littered with lots of entitled whining...

If the lock box ships are better than the factions ships I could see why Dominion players could be genuinely upset...
    so? people are unhappy because they think the hulls are the wrong shade of grey too.... It's like the old saying goes, you can't please all the people all the time. Because not everyone wants the same thing.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Right, but doesn't the doff mission eventually lead to him returning to the Gamma Q?

I don't remember an episode that said the Founders were ever physically any different than they are now. they used to be more peaceful, but...

Well I lolled. :D

so? people are unhappy because they think the hulls are the wrong shade of grey too.... It's like the old saying goes, you can't please all the people all the time. Because not everyone wants the same thing.

So...it's easier to just not make a Dominion faction...glad you agree! :D
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    So...it's easier to just not make a Dominion faction...glad you agree! :D
    It's always easier to do nothing than to do something. But doing nothing won't make $$$ for cryptic.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    bridgernbridgern Member Posts: 709 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    reyan01 wrote: »
    After completing Tier 3 of the Iconian reputation. It's not a cutscene though; just information (text) on the datapad we received in a recent FE.

Thanks for the info.
    Bridger.png
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    edited May 2015

What would be silly is to think that *any* new faction wouldn't be offered C-store starship bundles for Command, Pilot and Intelligence specialization. Or a more fresh C-store starship concept. Which they will be able to buy outright. No Lock Box will be necessary for the player of a Dominion (or even a Cardassian) faction.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    It's always easier to do nothing than to do something. But doing nothing won't make $$$ for cryptic.

Yeah but as multiple poles have shown...there are multiple factions that they can make more money on then a Dominion faction...both Cardassian and Liberated Borg are more popular choices...

And to whoever posted the the pod cast (which this post seems to be based on) he said if they ever...doesn't sound like hey this or that faction is coming...and he says I see...doesn't sound like confirmation that we WILL see a faction or in the very least any time soon.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    psiameese wrote: »
    What would be silly is to think that *any* new faction wouldn't be offered C-store starship bundles for Command, Pilot and Intelligence specialization. Or a more fresh C-store starship concept. Which they will be able to buy outright. No Lock Box will be necessary for the player of a Dominion (or even a Cardassian) faction.

I never said a lock box would be necessary...I'm just saying it would be kind of silly if the faction itself didn't build superior and more up to date versions of the ferengi *obtained* ships. If they were in faction inferior I would say the people who play the Dominion faction would have a right to complain.

Now if lock box ships did indeed become inferior that would leave everyone who obtained them upset...which I don't think they'd have a right to complain but they would for the simple fact of feeling entitlement...just look at the T6 Bug ordeal...

I personally am not interested in a Dominion faction...but if the faction Dominion ships were inferior to lock box ships (No I don't mean if the faction got a T3 bug it should be as good at the old T5 bug) I would say they would have a reason to complain.

From a monetary standpoint a Dominion faction would be way to risky right now, like I said there are other more popular faction choices and to avoid angering anyone they would literally have to design a complete new line up of Dominion ships...plus you'd have to design the Gamma Quadrant...bigger space than the Delta Quadrant...
  • Options
    captiancoppscaptiancopps Member Posts: 113 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    All I have to say is... imagine a world where you can have a JHAS with pilot skills from the c-store and still get the bonuses from the lockbox versions. This way people will go for both and attempt to make even more OP ships than before. Just throwing that idea out there. Carry on with your convo.
  • Options
    johnnymo1johnnymo1 Member Posts: 697 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    considering the founders are a very ancient race, after the destruction of the archives its possible that the fed,kdf, and rom's may seek out information from the dominion as well as see if it could be possible to form an alliance with them if the iconians are giving them grief as well.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Yeah but as multiple poles have shown...there are multiple factions that they can make more money on then a Dominion faction...both Cardassian and Liberated Borg are more popular choices...

And to whoever posted the the pod cast (which this post seems to be based on) he said if they ever...doesn't sound like hey this or that faction is coming...and he says I see...doesn't sound like confirmation that we WILL see a faction or in the very least any time soon.
    Really.. details please. Especially given that Borg are kind of an LTS thing and the Cardassians are a one-trick pony.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    The Dominion wouldn't have need of slave labor, with Jem'Hadar and Vorta overseers. Canon suggests that the Dominion has a standard system of trade and mercantilism between it's members (overseen by merchant-minded members, like the Karemma), rather than a brutal, rigid, state-run, milspec economy. In fact, based on Hanok's comments, the Dominion actually buys at least some of it's ordnance from it's members.

And, judging from canon, the Dominion was consistently expansionist in the Gamma Quadrant throughout it's history, through trickery, annexation, voluntary membership, conquest, or diplomacy. Two known recent examples are the T-Rogoran and Yaderans in the 24th Century.

Considering that it has been said that the Dominion was made up of "numerous species", I would suspect a far-ranging empire rather than a small "fortress" state.

i did mention the dominion had to have a solid economic base from which to run their military operation... this includes everything from polaron rifle parts, all the way to the torpedo they use. i never stated exactly what because there was nothing directly canon besides the torpedo to prove that point.

as for the t-rogeran though, thats a hard one to prove as anything other than dubious. and the yaderans were conquered 30 years before the war. so far in both cases they were conquered and the dominion use fear as a motivator for some races to stay in line or they will send in the jem'hadar and then you will die.

just fyi, but i dont ever picture seeing vorta becoming labourers or jem'hadar soldiers ever becoming miners either. so where does the resources come from that the dominion use after being cut off from the gamma quadrant? you got a perfectly good prisoner population from which to use not to forget the likes of the cardassians either who can do the menial tasks.
  • Options
    huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Dominion faction is perfectly playable. Use the Iconian War to kill off the Founders, you eliminate that mess as a playable character and open up the rest of the Dominion races as perfectly reasonable playable characters.

Not like the Iconians don't have gates there already.

Founders are really the only issue with a playable Dominion.

Which does nothing to get around the problem.

There are playable dominion ships in game now

Existing owners wouldn't be happy

???

Dominion leveling ships would be the same under powered ships that Fed, Klink, and Rom leveling ships are, they wouldn't be the same as the exclusive lockbox and store ones. Those exclusive ships would still be better.

They'd be upset over a ship that has a similar skin but much weaker stats?

BTW even if the season ends with the Dominion joining the battle, that doesn't mean they'll immediately be the next faction. It really makes more sense to go Cardassian, opening up the Gamma Quad a bit more, then adding the Dominion.