test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Omni-Beam lie...

senatorvreenaksenatorvreenak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Players that have more than one currently equipped will not have their items removed, but will be unable to replace them if removed for any reason.

Yeah right.... Logged onto my KDF toon, found my beam in my "overflow bag"
Thanks a lot for that...

Yeah I get it was never intended we be able to slot two of them, but at least have the decency to tell the truth in your patch notes, and not outright "lie" to us.
Post edited by senatorvreenak on

Comments

• Options
    voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Well, a "dishonest" person calling another "dishonest"...
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Hardly being dishonest when it was explicitly permitted by Cryptic Developers. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    bertysmithbertysmith Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    They never get tired of lieing to us. Its just what they do.
  • Options
    ffttfftt Member Posts: 715 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    This reminds about when we were supposed to be able to keep our engineering shield consoles as engineering consoles. :eek:
  • Options
    phantrosityphantrosity Member Posts: 239 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    voivodje wrote: »

I will have you know that Vreenak is an authority on discovering dishonest people.
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Or maybe you just got unlucky and due to the way the system loads things (UI/visuals, then equipment, then chat, as far as I've seen on the laggiest of days on my end); it loaded your ship slowly enough it recognized the new code faster than it recognized the loadout, so it followed the new coding first.

Basically, it depends on how fast the system loads what; if the new code is recognized faster than existing loadout, it takes priority.
  • Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Aye, seems your loadout beat you to it. I mean, its the first ive heard of somebody having this happen.. But with the loadout system liking to randomly reload things on its own could be something like it just trying to apply both items and kicking one out.. Ive had random errors pop up from doing seemingly nothing when im out if batteries or something saying "could not load all items from loadout"
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Hardly being dishonest when it was explicitly permitted by Cryptic Developers. :rolleyes:

Finding the time to fix something is not explicitly permitting. :rolleyes:

Lil' Tom did nothing to stop Lil' Jerry from punching him repeatedly in the face, so obviously Lil' Tom gave Lil' Jerry explicit permission to punch him in the face. Right? ;)

edit: What they said though, lol, is typical Cryptic.

"Players that have more than one currently equipped will not have their items removed, but will be unable to replace them if removed for any reason."

They stated intent not to remove them...so it becomes a test of what reasonable steps they needed to take to ensure that some system did not end up removing them. Which doesn't get into them lying...
  • Options
    phalanx01phalanx01 Member Posts: 360 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Wish Cryptic would actually fix bugs that ANNOY players (lag, missing doff missions, random crashes on old content caused by crappy coding on new content, bugfested exchange, power bugs from abilities, KDF bugs, ...) rather then things that really don't matter that much like that beam. Oh wait, that'd involve some REAL programming, nevermind...
  • Options
    hunteralpha84hunteralpha84 Member Posts: 524 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I will have you know that Vreenak is an authority on discovering dishonest people.

He's a FFFAAAKKKKEEE!
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Flaming and/or trolling, but I'll bite:
    Wish Cryptic would actually fix bugs that ANNOY players

My ship loadouts and boff stations have been stable for awhile now. That fix was "real programming."
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Finding the time to fix something is not explicitly permitting. :rolleyes:

Lil' Tom did nothing to stop Lil' Jerry from punching him repeatedly in the face, so obviously Lil' Tom gave Lil' Jerry explicit permission to punch him in the face. Right? ;)

edit: What they said though, lol, is typical Cryptic.

"Players that have more than one currently equipped will not have their items removed, but will be unable to replace them if removed for any reason."

They stated intent not to remove them...so it becomes a test of what reasonable steps they needed to take to ensure that some system did not end up removing them. Which doesn't get into them lying...

Its not about finding the time though but rather what they have said on the forums.
    And the patchnotes pretty much translate into: Were fixing this, but were still going to let you keep your ship builds as you had them.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't see the problem?

It was going to happen eventually anyways...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'd be willing to put this down to "miscommunication between programmer teams & the tech writer making the patch notes" (which we've seen happen a number of time before), rather than any deliberate attempt at falsehood.

But, then, I'm not in the habit of automatically assuming the worst. /shrug

...heh, which reminded me of an old quote I'd seen somewhere: "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." :P
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    The Loadout bug only seems to involve players with a bad connection to the servers (either due to throttling in the digital lane somewhere), since those load only as fast as the connection permits, and some packet loss is sustained.

As well, things being unequipped is usually due to a delay between the server and the player; such as the "cannot load all equipment" or "some items missing" notices you get. It does happen on start-up as well, or when beginning rarely run missions (the players with notable lag can sometimes see their equipment and skill tray still loading).

So ironically, it's more of "You can keep the triple AP Omni... IF you can survive the bottlenecks between the servers and yourself" statement.

So not exactly Cryptic's fault alone (though their heavily outdated code is partially to blame), but the connections between server and gamer, depending on where the bottleneck is (Cogent is infamously known for such).
  • Options
    trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Oh well.. no more double up on omni-beams... time to find something else to go with that BF@W.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • Options
    g8472hgg8472hg Member Posts: 39 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I'm happy! Crytic found again the biggest problem in the game. And they solved it. Gratz.

It seems, they are living in the phantasy season too. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    trennan wrote: »
    Oh well.. no more double up on omni-beams... time to find something else to go with that BF@W.

You mean no more double up on Ancient AP Omnis for triple AP Omni builds. Because you can still equip both a single crafted AP Omni and a single Ancient AP Omni.
  • Options
    tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    trennan wrote: »

You cna still double up..... you cna equip the Ancient Omni with a Crafted Omni..... you just can't tripple up on AP Omni's anymore.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    voivodje wrote: »

Well, they do say "takes one to know one". :D
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks a lot for that...

Yeah I get it was never intended we be able to slot two of them, but at least have the decency to tell the truth in your patch notes, and not outright "lie" to us.

If you think you're going to get sympathy here then you're absolutely delusional.

Glad you were forced to play by the rules, but don't worry, I'm sure you'll soon find something else you can exploit and then complain about when it gets fixed.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • Options
    nccmarknccmark Member Posts: 1,083 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    "I'm happy! Crytic found again the biggest problem in the game. And they solved it. Gratz."

Biggest problem in the game? If you think this was the biggest problem in the game, you have zero standards.
  • Options
    induperatorinduperator Member Posts: 806 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    If you think you're going to get sympathy here then you're absolutely delusional.

Glad you were forced to play by the rules, but don't worry, I'm sure you'll soon find something else you can exploit and then complain about when it gets fixed.

I think he was referring to the "lie" about allowing players to keep the two Ancient Omni beams equipped more than the accrual fix but yes this has been rightfully fixed.
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    Lets get one thing straight, I take no issue whatsoever with that they fixed things, I never expected that the Triple omni beam setup would last.

But what I take issue with is being mislead.

I "never" exploit. But in this rare instance Cryptic devs actually gave people their consent to slot 2x Ancient Omni-Beams, hence the extra note about it in the patchnotes.
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I "never" exploit. But in this rare instance Cryptic devs actually gave people their consent to slot 2x Ancient Omni-Beams, hence the extra note about it in the patchnotes.

They did not explicitly give anyone consent, I would suspect it was more a case of them, at the time of writing the patch notes, not having an effective way of removing just the extra Ancient Omni, and that changing before the patch went live...

Or then again, it could just be bad luck on your part...

It was clearly never intended, everyone knew it was an exploit and I find it a bit rich that someone could still be trying to defend the position of using it even with such a flimsy justification as 'but they said we could'...

Cryptic never said they permitted it, only that they would not immediately remove them which, quite frankly, struck me as very surprising and that it was only a matter of time before they forceably removed them from people's loadouts in some fashion...
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't suppose it ever occurred to you that the person writing the release notes believed that was the way the fix worked. Or that perhaps some glitch ended up unequipping the "unauthorized" weapon anyway.

People around here are waaayy too quick to throw around the whole accusation stuff.

Miscommunication does not equal lie.

Furthermore, I find the indignation over this to be wildly overblown. By your own admission, you knew this was not working as intended and shouldn't be surprised to find that it no longer works the way you want it to.

Rather than thinking "oh well, it was good while it lasted" you're immediately in here blasting them over what is really a very minor mistake in their release notes. You got your hopes up that you'd be able to keep your good thing going and your hopes got dashed. That's no reason to start ranting about it.

Sooner or later you were going to end up unequipping that stuff anyhow and not be able to slot them together again anyway.

You need to tone down the angry rhetoric before this thread gets closed altogether.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Oh well, time to go find the next exploit to exploit.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Not too bothered about it, but yes patch notes were not accurate. Found it in my overflow bag.

Like I said, not bothered, it was basically a low damage turret easily replaced.

So just commenting that Cryptic did not keep their word on this.
  • Options
    shinnok918shinnok918 Member Posts: 312 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Thanks a lot for that...

sooo, they did a complete fix on the exploit and not a partial one. kudos cryptic.
  • Options
    equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,277 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    shinnok918 wrote: »
    sooo, they did a complete fix on the exploit and not a partial one. kudos cryptic.

Was it ever a called an exploit?

I would never use an exploit. I had 2 ancient Omni's upgraded one - could not afford to upgrade the other. Never occurred to me that it was deemed an 'exploit'.

I try to have all forward firing weapons, Cutting beam + Omni.

I had cutting beam + Omni + ancient omni x 2 = all rear firing weps (the rears never did much anyway)

This is the first time I have ever heard of x 2 ancient omni being called an exploit.

Its no big deal for me I'll just stick a turret or torp on the back, but a bit confused why Cryptic said it would not be removed, and then it was.

At no point was it called an 'exploit'...