test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Making Ico gates useless to them (and us)

voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
So, with all the tech we have from all these species we've encountered where-ever in space: Why don't we park a moon in the gate arc, or a few abandoned Cubes, or hell, pull these into a sun?

I cannot imagine, there's no solution in disabling these permanently.

Then again, idiots as we are, we rather want to keep them so we could learn from them and Omega Particle knows, even use them.

Merely thinking.
Post edited by voivodje on

Comments

• chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't understand why the iconians haven't dropped an omega particle and made you Feds into their "pets". But that is just me.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    They can't pronounce Omega... XD
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    chalpen wrote: »
    I don't understand why the iconians haven't dropped an omega particle and made you Feds into their "pets". But that is just me.

Clearly they think the Klingons are the easy prey...
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • bioixibioixi Member Posts: 764 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    voivodje wrote: »
    So, with all the tech we have from all these species we've encountered where-ever in space: Why don't we park a moon in the gate arc, or a few abandoned Cubes, or hell, pull these into a sun?

Then again, idiots as we are, we rather want to keep them so we could learn from them and Omega Particle knows, even use them.

Merely thinking.

You go find the several thousand iconian gates scattered across the milky way and the andromeda galxy, as well as the iconian gates inside the herald sphere and toss them into the sun, I'm staying home.
  • grylakgrylak Member Posts: 1,594 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I remember when Stargate dropped an active Stargate into a star once. It triggered a supernova. Was a pretty impressive way to destroy an overwhelming fleet. Everyone kept bringing it up afterwards.

Frankly, we'd probably run out of stars before we ran out of gates.

A Romulan Strike Team, Missing Farmers and an ancient base on a Klingon Border world. But what connects them? Find out in my First Foundary mission: 'The Jeroan Farmer Escapade'
    edited April 2015
    anazonda wrote: »
    Clearly they think the Klingons are the easy prey...

And seem to want to fight the Klingons street by street for some reason. Not turn qunos into a charcoal briquette. Fight for every building.
    Seems like a lot of work for what is basically a slum planet.
    edited April 2015
    grylak wrote: »
    I remember when Stargate dropped an active Stargate into a star once. It triggered a supernova. Was a pretty impressive way to destroy an overwhelming fleet. Everyone kept bringing it up afterwards.

There are several billion stars in the milky way and only 5000-6000 gates according to sphere of influence.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,280 Arc User
    edited April 2015

yeah, um....the stargate in question was connected to another one being pulled in by a black hole at the time; dropping an inactive gate into a star wouldn't trigger a supernova
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited April 2015
    And seem to want to fight the Klingons street by street for some reason. Not turn qunos into a charcoal briquette. Fight for every building.

That makes sense, Qo'nos is a klingon icon, trying to invade instead of destroying it with one of those dreadnought's rays forces the alliance to defend and to waste troops and ships instead of attempting a counter attack, destroy Qo'nos and you have several billion klingon out for revenge, attack Qo'nos and you ahve several billion klingons dying in a futile effort to defend their homeworld, that was one of the reasons behind the TRIBBLE attacks on Leningrad and Stalingrad.
  • voivodjevoivodje Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bioixi wrote: »
    There are several billion stars in the milky way and only 5000-6000 gates according to sphere of influence.
    As I stated somewhere else: ST is the absolute master in anti-lore.
    They have anti-canon canon.
    They contradict EVERYTHING, if possible in each given show/movie.
    There aren't more than 12 gates, really.
    You'll see.
    edited April 2015
    That makes sense, Qo'nos is a klingon icon, trying to invade instead of destroying it with one of those dreadnought's rays forces the alliance to defend and to waste troops and ships instead of attempting a counter attack, destroy Qo'nos and you have several billion klingon out for revenge, attack Qo'nos and you ahve several billion klingons dying in a futile effort to defend their homeworld, that was one of the reasons behind the TRIBBLE attacks on Leningrad and Stalingrad.

But you have the possibility that the Klingons could win in this scenario.
  • jer5488jer5488 Member Posts: 506 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The problem with Iconian Gates is - Iconians only need one one gate in a secure location. Look at the Herald Sphere - it has dozens of gates that open doors where-ever they want them to go. Look at Contagion - the Iconian gate could open doors to the Enterprise, Earth, assorted worlds. No physical hardware needed on the 'other end'.

So destroying gates we have access/control to only limits our responses to Iconian space. Tactically - destroying gateways we have control of hurts US, not them.
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Merely thinking.

First do we have the locations of all of the gates and access to them?
    No.
    So destroying the gates is like tossing a few buckets of water on a city wide fire. Also, they don't really need them for end points, only for launch points. So if we get rid of all of the gates we do find, the Iconians can still send troops and materiel in. And since they are the initial creators of the gate network, who is to say that they simply cannot make more.

At this point we need a few of them for counter attacks, and yes studying them. Three possible uses.
    Duplication, this would eventually make our warp drive ships a thing of the past and we could experiment with omega particles again as we might not be reliant on warp travel.

Detection, if we can see how they are used and what they do we may find a proverbial 'bow wave' on gates and know where a gate has been opened so that responses can be put in place.

Obstruction, we know the (incredibly varied and multitudinous) means of block transporters. We may determine how to block gate ways and make 'safe area' and then our counter attacks will also include cutting off escape routes.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015

Interesting points. I should also point out that the Iconians, by way of the Undine, tried to obliterate Qo'noS in "Surface Tension", and that didn't work out so well for them.
  • gl2814egl2814e Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    edited April 2015

According to Sky & Telescope, there are over 300 billion stars in the Milky Way.
    http://www.skyandtelescope.com/astronomy-resources/how-many-stars-are-there/

That being said, just because a Stargate could be destroyed by wasting a star on it, doesn't mean the Iconians don't build their Gateways tougher. (Or that they don't have the means to move them.)
  • quintarisquintaris Member Posts: 816 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What we need is some kind of Crucible to send out an energy surge to overload the element zero cores of the mass relays...I mean...Iconian gateways.
    w8xekp.jpg
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bberge1701 wrote: »
    Interesting points. I should also point out that the Iconians, by way of the Undine, tried to obliterate Qo'noS in "Surface Tension", and that didn't work out so well for them.

Yes, since the Federation helped defending it.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Merely thinking.

They can open a gateway to wherever they want.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • ginobaldelli823ginobaldelli823 Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm actually surprised that they havent set off some type of Omega Bomb to limit our ability to respond to their attacks. Like if they detonated enough omega modules in like a 1 lightyear sphere around Sol or Qu"nos then our ability to get help to those systems would be restricted, unless Transwarp Conduits or Quantum-Slipstream can get around the Damage to subspace that an Omega Detonation cause
  • astro2244astro2244 Member Posts: 623 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Merely thinking.

Set the gates to a looping video of Rick Astley, problem solved. :cool:
    [SIGPIC]583px-Romulan_Star_Empire_logo%2C_2379.svg.png
    [/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2015
    I'm actually surprised that they havent set off some type of Omega Bomb to limit our ability to respond to their attacks. Like if they detonated enough omega modules in like a 1 lightyear sphere around Sol or Qu"nos then our ability to get help to those systems would be restricted, unless Transwarp Conduits or Quantum-Slipstream can get around the Damage to subspace that an Omega Detonation cause

Yeah. Since they already use them, I would open up a war by letting a few of those puppy go
  • reafisreafis Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Nah there will probably be one control Device for every iconian gate that can get blown up. Or something insane like a Borg alliance to cripple the gate network which ends in hugely improved Borg.

It will come down to one ship. If it was me I would drag the war out have different phases Inc one where we are almost like resistance fighters.