test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

When will we get a captain of our own?

kaiserwillykaiserwilly Member Posts: 61 Arc User
Now that we are all admirals, as odd a situation as that is, the one notable DOff seat we are missing on our ships is a captain.

Putting aside the first officer BOff situation, which has not been implemented for years despite repeated surfacings of the rumour, it seems totally crazy to think we don;t have a captain onboard our ships.

There is a lot of scope here to further costumise our ships by adding a captain seat. Using some of the existing captain powers from other classes perhaps, just at lower tiers. Of course, the same thing should probably have been done with First Officers a long time ago.

I guess the obstacle is the greying of lines between the classes, and it might be better to have a different power set based on the original class of these officers, but we really aught to have a captain onboard.

We probably should have a yeoman as well, even if it is just a pet you click on and she reminds you of your 1pm appointment.

Regards,

The Restless Kaiser
Post edited by kaiserwilly on

Comments

• Options
    cruzistcruzist Member Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I captain my ship.
  • Options
    thatcursedwolfthatcursedwolf Member Posts: 1,617 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    When you get a captain Boff is when you get stuck behind a desk and the only gameplay you can do is doffing.
    This is my Risian Corvette. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    *holds up a mirror*

There's the captain, ya frakking Tribble brain.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    Nonesense.

Active admirals at sea still have a captain aboard the ship they are using.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    *holds up a mirror*

There's the captain, ya frakking Tribble brain.

No need to be rude is there?
  • Options
    cypherouscypherous Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Nonesense.

According to

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_captain

and

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_%28naval%29

They would still be referred to as the Captain of the ship regardless of their rank held if they are infact in charge of the ship

"Any naval officer who commands a ship (titled commanding officer, or C.O.) is addressed by naval custom as "captain" while aboard in command, regardless of their actual rank."

Is a quote from the second link

So we will likely never get a "Captain" BOFF, a First Officer/XO logically should exist and have some sort of actual function outside of the DOFF screen :P
  • Options
    gabeoz1gabeoz1 Member Posts: 161 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Star Trek has always used the term captain for the person who is in command. It does not matter the actual rank.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Nonesense.

Admirals are not the Captain of the vessel they are on. They are in charge of an entire flotilla of ships in a sector. The ship they are on is just their mobile office. The Captain makes all the decisions for the ship. The Admiral makes all the decisions for the entire flotilla: where they are going, etc.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    jaymclaughlinjaymclaughlin Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I think it's ridiculous that we're all fleet admirals!

Captain should be the highest rank
    animated.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I think it's ridiculous that we're all fleet admirals!

Captain should be the highest rank
    That horse died nearly 6 years ago. Bury it and move on.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Nonesense.

That is true. But admirals generally devise battle strategies and issue orders to the fleet and allows the individual captain of various ships under his (or her) command to carry out those orders to the best of their abilities.

In gaming terms, being an admiral would shift the game play style to that of strategy game (like Galactic Civilization) where you generally direct your ship(s) to do something and that something is then interpreted by the captain(s) into actions that best fulfills the mission objectives while you "simply" oversee the situation and adjust battle strategies as necessary. Why have a captain on board a ship if that person is not actually allowed to captain the ship?

Sure Admiral Kirk issued orders on board the USS Enterprise in Star Trek The Motion Picture, but those orders were countered by Captain Decker because Kirk was not familiar with upgraded technologies on board the refitted starship. In Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan Spock was captain of the Enterprise while Admiral Kirk was merely a "special passenger". Captain Spock offered Kirk the captain's chair only because of Kirk had more experience as a captain and because they were in a combat situation. And they are only movies.

STO is only a game. So while players can get promoted up to fleet admirals, they are nothing more than highly glorified captains because in reality admirals do not sit in the captain's chair unless it is due to unusual circumstances... like when the captain is killed in action.
  • Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    *resets 'days without captain vs admiral debates' counter back to zero*

I don't think it went on for too long this time around. Probably a few weeks to a month. Of course I might have missed some threads... :P
  • Options
    sunfranckssunfrancks Member Posts: 3,925 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    If I get a captain, I will hug him and love him and call him George...
    Fed: Eng Lib Borg (Five) Tac Andorian (Shen) Sci Alien/Klingon (Maelrock) KDF:Tac Romulan KDF (Sasha) Tac Klingon (K'dopis)
    Founder, member and former leader to Pride Of The Federation Fleet.
    What I feel after I hear about every decision made since Andre "Mobile Games Generalisimo" Emerson arrived...
    3oz8xC9gn8Fh4DK9Q4.gif

• Options
    medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    We're all Evil Admirals woohoo
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • Options
    jessiecoltjessiecolt Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Captain is a Title, not a Rank, when it comes to STO.

At times you can both have Captain as the title and rank of your character, this does not change the fact that it IS still a title used to refer to the commanding officer of the ship.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_%28nautical%29

"A sea captain (also called a captain or a master or a shipmaster) is a licensed mariner in ultimate command of the vessel.[1] The captain is responsible for its safe and efficient operation, including cargo operations, navigation, crew management and ensuring that the vessel complies with local and international laws, as well as company and flag state policies. All persons on board, including officers and crew, other shipboard staff members, passengers, guests and pilots, are under the captain's authority and are his ultimate responsibility."

Keeping in mind that while STO is obviously not about the "sea" it is based on Navies and Naval and Maritime protocols.

So no, I do not imagine that at any time we will ever see a "captain" BOFF or seat in the BOFF consoles.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    William Ross once had Commander Benteen as his Excutive officer before snapping up Captain Sisko when she got poromoted. yes, the Admiral can have a Captain as a 1st Officer, if not highly irrelgular.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    William Ross once had Commander Benteen as his Excutive officer before snapping up Captain Sisko when she got poromoted. yes, the Admiral can have a Captain as a 1st Officer, if not highly irrelgular.
    There is a difference between and adjutant and a 1st Officer. :)
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    we the players are the admirals and our chars are the captains
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    There is a difference between and adjutant and a 1st Officer. :)

the thing with that is that the adjutant, it was never stated if it was a typical adjutant position which translates around a sergeant in rank, or if you like a lieutenant jg in starfleet. or if it was an adjutant general, which is the position around commander or captain rank in translation.

in any event the adjutant is not much different in regards to a 1st officer, the main duties of such a position is by helping the high ranking officers out, which is the same in a 1st officer post to a captain by helping the captain out and the other high ranking officers as well, especially in regards to adminstration duties.

in effect Sisko was a 1st officer.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    the thing with that is that the adjutant, it was never stated if it was a typical adjutant position which translates around a sergeant in rank, or if you like a lieutenant jg in starfleet. or if it was an adjutant general, which is the position around commander or captain rank in translation.

in any event the adjutant is not much different in regards to a 1st officer, the main duties of such a position is by helping the high ranking officers out, which is the same in a 1st officer post to a captain by helping the captain out and the other high ranking officers as well, especially in regards to adminstration duties.

in effect Sisko was a 1st officer.
    Except that if the Admiral is incapacitated or dies the Adjutant does not take automatically take command of all the other Admirals and Captain under that Admiral's command. Thus it is not really a 1st Officer position. It is more of an assistant position.
  • Options
    ensignthrowawayensignthrowaway Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'd like to see the whole 'commanding Captain rank officers' thing incorporated into the DOFF system, personally. I don't really want a Captain on the bridge, or to control multiple ships in space encounters, (not past hangar bays, anyway).

However, it seems like having a squadron or battle group could be portrayed pretty effectively by having Captain level DOFFs with missions only they could be assigned to, maybe with a new Command commendation track.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    However, it seems like having a squadron or battle group could be portrayed pretty effectively by having Captain level DOFFs with missions only they could be assigned to, maybe with a new Command commendation track.
    Yeah, that sounds cool! A whole sub-division of Doffs associated entirely with the character's Admiral duties. I would jump at that!
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Adjuncts are basically administrative assistants to senior officers.

In layman's terms, they are basically like office secretaries. They should not confused with something like the Secretary of Defense which is an entirely different ballgame.
  • Options
    elandarkskyelandarksky Member Posts: 1,013 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Now that we are all admirals, as odd a situation as that is, the one notable DOff seat we are missing on our ships is a captain.

Putting aside the first officer BOff situation, which has not been implemented for years despite repeated surfacings of the rumour, it seems totally crazy to think we don;t have a captain onboard our ships.

There is a lot of scope here to further costumise our ships by adding a captain seat. Using some of the existing captain powers from other classes perhaps, just at lower tiers. Of course, the same thing should probably have been done with First Officers a long time ago.

I guess the obstacle is the greying of lines between the classes, and it might be better to have a different power set based on the original class of these officers, but we really aught to have a captain onboard.

We probably should have a yeoman as well, even if it is just a pet you click on and she reminds you of your 1pm appointment.

Regards,

The Restless Kaiser

I was honestly thinking they were going to implement something akin to ground missions when we hit level 60.

Becoming an admiral on a flag ship, of a fleet of 5 ships (your flagship and 4 other owned vessels which are also kitted out with boffs/equipment/consoles etc,

Never heard about a first officer boff slot though,

Plus it could final put to rest this silly explode/respawn mechanic, instead a ship becomes disabled, and requires another ship in the fleet to send repair teams (CPR skill for space :D)

*sigh* i can dream
    [Combat (Self)] Your Bite deals 2378 (1475) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother.
  • Options
    admiralkirkadmiralkirk Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I want a yeoman.
  • Options
    rjewkesrjewkes Member Posts: 237 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    westmetals wrote: »
    In comparison, looking at modern naval usage... this is correct. Take for example a US Navy carrier battle group / task force. The Admiral (often a two- or three-star), while present on the carrier, commands the entire task force, while a Captain (not always by rank; it is often a one-star Admiral) is assigned to the carrier itself. Also, there is an archaic law that requires that the Captain of a US carrier must be (or have previously been, in the case of medical disqualification) a qualified naval air pilot. This requirement does not bear upon the Admiral commanding the force.

Getting back to in-game tems... I would love to see character rank made selectable, using the currently unlocked ranks as the maximum. This would allow players to remain "Captain" for role-playing purposes, which would neatly avoid most of this problem.

Allready an option in the ui your character sheeet/paper doll edit record you choose your title there of course npc's still call you by your actual rank. if they could switrch it so npc's refer to you by your title. and allow the option to be called by title or by rank. that would be awesome. so i can keep being called admiral while you go by captiasn or moist!
    signature2.jpg
    galacticguards.enjin.com/
    Formerly Jewkesman Member from Nov 2009!