Install Arc
Options

Malon Battlecruiser as pilotable ship?

2»

Comments

• Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What star trek fan wouldn't want their very own Garbage Scow?

You got it wrong. Not as a Garbage Scow but to be towed away as garbage!
    mgoblin2 wrote: »
    Perhaps I should've worded myself differently.

There is evidence in canon that Starfleet will utiilize non-Starfleet vessels when they need to, especially for wartime/infiltration missions. However, this is obviously a rare occurence and using any such vessel obviously requires a hefty degree of authorization from the Admiralty, if that episode is any indication. I'm going to assume there are more examples of this happening in Beta canon as well, though I can't recall any specific occurrences.

This is why I stated that, in my opinion, anybody seriously roleplaying a Starfleet Captain using an exotic starship should have a well thought out explanation as to how they got such a ship, and why they're using it.

Except that those Non-Starfleet vessels were not a permanent command. There's a sharp difference of doing a limited, temporary use of a non-faction vessel compared to actually having that as your permanent assignment. It still disrupts the appearance of the faction as a whole. Looking at the ships in orbit over Earth and ESD, does it really give you a "Starfleet" vibe outside the few visiting Warbirds?

No. No it doesn't.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,167 Community Moderator
    edited April 2015
    USS Gaseous Anomaly here I come! :D

Warp Plasma? Check.
    Breen set Cryoplasma? Check.
    Metreon Gas? Check.
    Theta Radiation? Check.
    Elachi Subspace black snot ball? Check.
    Particle Emission Plasma Torpedo? Check.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ...I like it...
  • Options
    wbaker256#3172 wbaker256 Member Posts: 292 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Except that those Non-Starfleet vessels were not a permanent command. There's a sharp difference of doing a limited, temporary use of a non-faction vessel compared to actually having that as your permanent assignment. It still disrupts the appearance of the faction as a whole. Looking at the ships in orbit over Earth and ESD, does it really give you a "Starfleet" vibe outside the few visiting Warbirds?

No. No it doesn't.

I don't disagree with you in that regard, and I'm not arguing that point. Seeing all of the Breen, Jem'Hadar, Elachi, Tholian etc., and even the Romulan ships in orbit over Earth is definitely off putting.

I think Cryptic was trying to go for a "Time to Stand" schtick with alien ships by making them exceedingly rare drops from the boxes... Unfortunately however, lots of players = a lot of keys being bought/boxes being opened = more than a few of those ships running around.

This is why only two of my actual Starfleet Captains use exotic ships, while all of my others use purely Starfleet and/or Federation-related (Vulcan, Andorian etc.) ships. Heck, even the two Exotic ship users have normal Starfleet ships that I switch them back and forth from.
    "[GARBLED ELECTRONIC NOISES]"
    - Thot Gar - Commanding Officer of the Braaktak Kaan
  • Options
    kalavierkalavier Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2015

No. No it doesn't.

Do note, in cryptics timeline, the player character gets reassigned to... 5 or 6 different ships as commanding officer, in 18 months. While also reaching fleet admiral.That's by default. (5 including miranda, 6 including a T6)

Like gobby said, cryptic made the lockbox ships powerful and desirable, moreso then the default ships. For some it's visual, others, especially min-maxers and the like, for the gear. In the case of T6 ships, For a while there were more alien T6 options then normal faction T6 options IIRC.
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    josan369 wrote: »
    Isn't there already a Garbage Scow in the game?

And no. I'm not referencing any quotes or such. That ship is/was a pile of trash.

Too bad that without it there would be no Star Trek or STO or anything to do with the IP so........
  • Options
    rgzarcherrgzarcher Member Posts: 320 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    burstorion wrote: »
    I plan to make it a plasma torp spewing (emmision, of course), theta, double ewp, malon theta and black ball 'o death farting annoyance

If its got enough sci, add jamming and other evils then drag it into kerrat for laughs (or more likely cca to get 'wtfs' off my teamates)

Actually, it could have a lot more punch to it than you think at first. Swap the Plasma torp for the 8472 Counter Command torp and go for a full 8472 Rep set, both Space and Weapon sets as they both grant Radiation damage bonuses and have radiation AOE powers.

I use those sets on my Scimitar to buff the Thalaron pulse, but this right here would be much more cost effective. Tack on the Gravitic Photon torp from Dyson rep with the Dyson rep console and you have a combined 50% bonus for Photon torps and a 26% Radiation damage increase with 2 AOE radiation attacks, one of which grants temporary invulnerability.

My money is on this being a Engineering heavy tank, in which case:

Throw in Eject Warp Plasma and Acaton Beam, along with Aux2Eng for speed boost.

What you have here is a perfect example of a lethal joke character.
    "Why all the sales"?

And a merry freaking Christmas to you too, Ebenezer.
    -jonsills, 'Cryptic Why the sales..instead of Fixing XP leveling and this game?'
  • Options
    orion0029orion0029 Member Posts: 1,122 Bug Hunter
    edited April 2015
    rattler2 wrote: »
    USS Gaseous Anomaly here I come! :D

Warp Plasma? Check.
    Breen set Cryoplasma? Check.
    Metreon Gas? Check.
    Theta Radiation? Check.
    Elachi Subspace black snot ball? Check.
    Particle Emission Plasma Torpedo? Check.

HAHA, that would be epic nastiness :P

Perhaps the Romulan hyper-plasma for some green-glob spamming? (I realize it's not effective for an exotic/radiation build, but would be funny to watch:D)
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    praxi5 wrote: »
    They're just throwing whatever they can at the wall in hopes that something will stick and that you'll buy something.

Point of irony:
    Cryptic is getting us to buy ships that we have little to no interest in flying .

... stroke of genius really ... , from a certain POV ...
  • Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What star trek fan wouldn't want their very own Garbage Scow?

On the bright side, I might have found the first ship I wanted to name Enterprise !

... OK, so it's a toss up between that and Space Balls ...
  • Options
    spock1190spock1190 Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I don't understand what people are complaining about. This is the cheapest T5U upgradable ship you're going to find for your alts who just do normal PVE/Solo. More importantly, it's factionless, so your Klingon and romulan characters will have access to it also. Just spend the 600,000 for the ship on each character, buy the Token on one, and upgrade. Yes, it's still three steps from the best, and as a ship it's actually a cruiser, but fore base content it is alot better than the basic ships you have access to.
  • Options
    danagoodyeardanagoodyear Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Hmmmm, let us examine for a minute why this is pheasable, really...(The reasoning is rather simple, from a player perspective).

I play this thing called Star Trek Online. It is a game. You play games, to have fun. For some people, it may simply just be fun to fly. The keyword fun aside, is game.

If I want strict cannon, I watch the show, or movies.

If I want fun, laced with a Trek shell, I play the game.

If you have another reason to play the game, so be it. Most of us play it to have fun.

That being said, rock on, all you galactic toxic gas truck captains! I do not need a specific reason you fly said ship if I see it, as the answer is simple to those of us who understand the above ;)

Edit: I am going to now unpack mine, bittersweet that it is the ship I got off my monthly key allotments from a box, and thus name it the U.S.S. common sense, and even give it an NX registry for a funny kick, and park it outside ESD, in hopes that whoever doesn't like the fact it is flyable, sees her, and her name, to understand further.

I will be sure to let whoever knows and complains about her to know she is parked, and full of all the s%#! talked she is in the game. lol.