test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Malon Battlecruiser as pilotable ship?

driveclubfandriveclubfan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
Since when Starfleet/Romulans/KDF allow themselves to use ships meant for transporting rubbish?

Which are toxic for the environment?

Potentially lethal for the crew?

It... it straight makes no sense. A lot of things make no sense here, but this one is the apotheosis of stupidity. Really, what's the whole damned point of allowing to pilot one?

Starfleet be like "we need more ships to fight the Iconians!". Instead of building new ones on their own and keeping their heritage they just let waste trucks in. Come on.

In no way they'd allow these ships in their fleet. Canon's been thrown out of the window. Star Trek Excalibur really needs to come out ASAP.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,403 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    The Nausicans already weaponized the waste with theta radiation vents.

Also as the malon make progress with developing better technology with less waste production, these barges may no longer be needed in their original role and (after a thorough scrub) may just as well be used in a defensive capacity.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    latiasracerlatiasracer Member Posts: 680 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In no way they'd allow these ships in their fleet. Canon's been thrown out of the window. Star Trek Excalibur really needs to come out ASAP.

We have pilot-able LIFEFORMS in the form of Undine ships, any kind of logic to ships is long gone my friend :rolleyes:
    warp plasma can't melt neutronium beams
  • Options
    jermbotjermbot Member Posts: 801 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Following the mold of the Kazon Raider, the Malon Battlecruiser is an intentionally developed substandard ship that will likely not see any serious in game use outside of RPers. And those RPers will be more than happy to explain to you why it makes sense for them to be flying a toxic death trap.

Nothing to get upset over.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    When I see Borg Cube lockboxes, I will start panic mode.

That will be the year we get gravity ski's for the new summer event...jumping sharks.;)
  • Options
    heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited April 2015
    Personally, I can't wait to see my first quad-TRIBBLE Malon trash scow in Kerrat.
    I AM WAR.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    heckgoblin wrote: »
    Personally, I can't wait to see my first quad-TRIBBLE Malon trash scow in Kerrat.

Ok here's a sad story. I went in Ker'rat the last day, Search tab showed "no players found". KDF fled, and so did Feds. It used to be an epic place before DR turned it in a graveyard.
  • Options
    praxi5praxi5 Member Posts: 1,562 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    They're just throwing whatever they can at the wall in hopes that something will stick and that you'll buy something.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    heckgoblin wrote: »

Thanks, I have to clean my morning coffee off the monitor.:D
  • Options
    thlaylierahthlaylierah Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Actually these ships epitomize the latest business model/ game experience to a tee and should be Free starter ships that level with you.

Adding the only availability being a Ferengi scambling box makes it the perfect icon of Cryptic studios.
  • Options
    kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    ....people still think "canon" means something at this late point?

(Honestly, I'm always amazed at people being upset about "canon" or "immersion" in MMOs, full stop. There's so many illogical things needed to make a typical MMO work, that expecting rationality, consistency, etc... out of them is just wacky. /shrug)

But regardless, I could easily see Starfleet Intelligence re-purposing a Malon ship as a "Q-ship" for sneaky reasons. And heck, Section 31 wouldn't even care about it spewing radiation, for better disguise purposes.
  • Options
    farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Emersion died a long time ago on the game. Its all in good fun now.

Why my Romulan or KDF fly one? It will be fun to fly and play around with.

Toxic? Not really. They are tankers. So they can haul any type of gas. It don't have to be toxic waste type. You can refit them to make them usable.

Until then I will have fun flying around in my tanker. :)
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I want a Neutronic ore carrier I can name the"Kobayashi Maru "
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    What star trek fan wouldn't want their very own Garbage Scow?
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,403 Arc User
    edited April 2015

In the past i have stated that I'd rather fly a malon garbage scow than a scimitar, but with a nice tank pyramid already in the inventory i feel (at least for the moment) i have reached the LOL ships limit.

I could see a Nausican character flying one with the theta vent console equipped. That would be just spewing garbage all across the universe.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'm going to /tell anyone that I see flying one that their ship is a garbage scow. And if they respond back angry, I'll tell them that it should be hauled away as garbage. :P
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    I'm going to /tell anyone that I see flying one that their ship is a garbage scow. And if they respond back angry, I'll tell them that it should be hauled away as garbage. :P

eeeh I see what you did there... :D
  • Options
    rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Ok here's a sad story. I went in Ker'rat the last day, Search tab showed "no players found". KDF fled, and so did Feds. It used to be an epic place before DR turned it in a graveyard.

For me it lost it's epicness a long time before DR. I remember being able to choose which instance to fly in because there were often more than 10 at a time.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    kiralyn wrote: »
    ....people still think "canon" means something at this late point?
    Malon ships are canon. Undine ships are canon.

Starfleet Captains flying them may not be canon. But ... Your Captain isn't canon either. But since you most certainly want to play a Captain in this game, and don't just want to watch Star Trek Blu Rays, I guess you have to accept stuff that is not part of canon in this game.

The Star Trek Online team certainly knows its canon, and even the most obscure canon aspect might make it into this game (and a race of interstellar garbage truck drivers certainly fits "obscurity"). You may not like how it gets into the game, but... You can even claim it hurts your immersion. But complaining it's not canon is meaningless. If all you wanted was canon, you could not have a Star Trek Game,
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I plan to make it a plasma torp spewing (emmision, of course), theta, double ewp, malon theta and black ball 'o death farting annoyance

If its got enough sci, add jamming and other evils then drag it into kerrat for laughs (or more likely cca to get 'wtfs' off my teamates)
  • Options
    wbaker256#3172 wbaker256 Member Posts: 290 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Malon ships are canon. Undine ships are canon.

Starfleet Captains flying them may not be canon. But ... Your Captain isn't canon either. But since you most certainly want to play a Captain in this game, and don't just want to watch Star Trek Blu Rays, I guess you have to accept stuff that is not part of canon in this game.

The Star Trek Online team certainly knows its canon, and even the most obscure canon aspect might make it into this game (and a race of interstellar garbage truck drivers certainly fits "obscurity"). You may not like how it gets into the game, but... You can even claim it hurts your immersion. But complaining it's not canon is meaningless. If all you wanted was canon, you could not have a Star Trek Game,

In addition, as far as I recall, there is nothing in Canon, main or otherwise, that explicitly states that Starfleet Captains can't use non-Starfleet vessels. It's just something you almost never see on the show. Thus, speaking as a roleplayer, as long as somebody has a decent backstory for how they came to use an exotic ship, then I've personally got no problem with it in-character.

Even then, most of my "Starfleet" characters who fly exotic ships aren't really full Starfleet at all, such is the case of my Ferengi DaiMon and his crew. I've only got two characters flying exotic ships that are actual Starfleet captains.

Regarding the Malon ship though, I'm personally happy to see it added. Always liked the heavy industrial look their ships had.
    @MGoblin256

"[GARBLED ELECTRONIC NOISES]"
    - Thot Gar - Commanding Officer of the Braaktak Kaan
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    after the xindi weapon platform i stopped wondering about those ironies :mad:
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,401 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    You know what would make this ship cool and give it a point other than "Haha, I'm polluting space, I'm a big bad troll"?

For every in-game minute spent in it, you lose 100 diplomacy/marauding for polluting the quadrants with this junk. The cool thing is you can go below the 100 000 CXP milestone and getting back to it allows you to claim another opposite-faction BOff.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    josan369josan369 Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Isn't there already a Garbage Scow in the game?

And no. I'm not referencing any quotes or such. That ship is/was a pile of trash.
  • Options
    saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,401 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    josan369 wrote: »

And no. I'm not referencing any quotes or such. That ship is/was a pile of trash.
    "Laddie...don't you think you should...rephrase that?"
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • Options
    svindal777svindal777 Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    josan369 wrote: »

Make way for the incoming NERDRAGE.
    Well excuse me for having enormous flaws that I don't work on.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,993 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I'll park one in orbit of bajor :D
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      drakethewhitedrakethewhite Member Posts: 1,240 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      mgoblin2 wrote: »
      In addition, as far as I recall, there is nothing in Canon, main or otherwise, that explicitly states that Starfleet Captains can't use non-Starfleet vessels.

Love that logic.

There is nothing in Canon, main or otherwise that states that Bigfoot or one of the "My little Ponies" doesn't have a seat on the Klingon High Council either. Let's leap on that too.
    • Options
      kalavierkalavier Member Posts: 132 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      I will agree with the concept of a purely federation, straight up normal captain flying a Malon tanker is weird and wouldn't work. Simply because they have the tech to clean up that waste.

As for other ships, bar Undine, I can accept. IF, in RP terms, the person actually has a reason for it. Something fitting other then "Because!" or "I salvaged it!" (that's moreso for fedside. KDF side I could see doing that stuff easily. Romulans somewhat).

You have to remember, in this timeline we have a CADET going from "just about to graduate" to FLEET ADMIRAL in 18 months if you go with cryptics timeline and events. :P
    • Options
      wbaker256#3172 wbaker256 Member Posts: 290 Arc User
      edited April 2015
      Love that logic.

There is nothing in Canon, main or otherwise that states that Bigfoot or one of the "My little Ponies" doesn't have a seat on the Klingon High Council either. Let's leap on that too.

Perhaps I should've worded myself differently.

There is evidence in canon that Starfleet will utiilize non-Starfleet vessels when they need to, especially for wartime/infiltration missions. However, this is obviously a rare occurence and using any such vessel obviously requires a hefty degree of authorization from the Admiralty, if that episode is any indication. I'm going to assume there are more examples of this happening in Beta canon as well, though I can't recall any specific occurrences.

This is why I stated that, in my opinion, anybody seriously roleplaying a Starfleet Captain using an exotic starship should have a well thought out explanation as to how they got such a ship, and why they're using it.
      @MGoblin256

"[GARBLED ELECTRONIC NOISES]"
      - Thot Gar - Commanding Officer of the Braaktak Kaan