Options

there's just no pleasing nerds

deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
There's just no pleasing people, especially nerds

Game reset: the rage is great
Game reset turns out to be an april fool's: the rage is great
Iconic ships have 3 tac consoles; the rage is great
There's fleet ships, but they wont have the traits: the rage is great
the costs of a fleet ship with all modules is the same as the cost of the t6 variant of it, plus 1 module for the Fleet version; the rage is great
developers ask us questions: the rage is great
Developers apologise: the rage is great
New sector maps: the rage is great

Star Trek returns to tv in the 80s: the rage is great
Star Trek returns to the screens: the rage is great

seriously...

look at it this way. They cared enough to prank us. They cared enough to update the most famous ships to T6, as requested. They cared enough to introduce fleet tier 6... they cared enough to respond to our questions and ask us where the game should go...

take basic economics folks, this game isn't running on charity.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    This game combines two of the most virulent fanbases possible.

Star Trek nerds + MMO nerds.

That's like the most unpleaseable fanbase in the universe!
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I agree. I felt like Cryptic did some ****ty things with DR, but these recent bits have all been pleasant by and large. People just having found the footing to get off their horse yet.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    teknesia wrote: »
    I agree. I felt like Cryptic did some ****ty things with DR, but these recent bits have all been pleasant by and large. People just having found the footing to get off their horse yet.

it wasn't the best launch and we know the producers are pushing it faster than it should be done... but the developers are awesome and have been working with us, especially with the new lead taking over.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    People have different opinions ... who would have thought :P
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Your just figuring this out,...NOW?
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    valoreah wrote: »
    Correction; They cared enough about making money to update the most famous ships to T6 to get people to buy them.

Yea... Valoreah is right on this one... If they weren't so popular they would not have made T6 variants of them...

Why? Because if they werent popular, they would not make money.

Don't fool yourself on this one OP... Cryptic may be making a Star Trek game, but when you take all they tiny pieces away, it's all 'bout the money
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    robyvisionrobyvision Member Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited April 2015

the costs of a fleet ship with all modules is the same as the cost of the t6 variant of it, plus 1 module for the Fleet version; the rage is great

seriously...

look at it this way. They cared enough to prank us. They cared enough to update the most famous ships to T6, as requested. They cared enough to introduce fleet tier 6... they cared enough to respond to our questions and ask us where the game should go...

These days having a different opinion is considered to be in rage?
    Nice try you hater! :)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    anazonda wrote: »
    Yea... Valoreah is right on this one... If they weren't so popular they would not have made T6 variants of them...

Don't fool yourself on this one OP... Cryptic may be making a Star Trek game, but when you take all they tiny pieces away, it's all 'bout the money

that's one of my last statements, basic economics
  • Options
    kamuii2kamuii2 Member Posts: 231 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    teknesia wrote: »

I'd blame the old exec producer for that. The new exec has been giving us some real pleasing changes and actually aknowledging the other factions. The old exec producer pissed off a large sum of the playerbase when he played favorites with one faction.
  • Options
    edited April 2015

What does that have to do with rage and Cryptic? It still doesn't suggest a reason to rage against them for this. It's not like it's another gambling box or something.
  • Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    It's not the nerds who are unpleased. You could give them the crapiest stats cloaked in a Galaxy or Constitution costume and they would still buy it. The real problem here is entitlement and an utter lack of patience. This is source material for 90% of all forum rage.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    We had a saying in the Navy...a B*tching sailor is a happy sailor...I think this applies to the STO player base.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    kamuii2 wrote: »
    I'd blame the old exec producer for that. The new exec has been giving us some real pleasing changes and actually aknowledging the other factions. The old exec producer pissed off a large sum of the playerbase when he played favorites with one faction.

That is true, I've been liking the game since he left!
    szim wrote: »
    It's not the nerds who are unpleased. You could give them the crapiest stats cloaked in a Galaxy or Constitution costume and they would still buy it. The real problem here is entitlement and an utter lack of patience. This is source material for 90% of all forum rage.

bingo
  • Options
    zenn3kzenn3k Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited April 2015

seriously...

I'm just really annoyed the new Galaxy doesn't come with the Saucer Separation console. I want the new ship, but I want saucer separation (its iconic to the ship!)…but to do that, I have to buy TWO ships. No. Instead I'll buy NONE of them.
  • Options
    bobtheskull99bobtheskull99 Member Posts: 706 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    when cryptic caves and makes a T6 defiant you can expect the same BS all over again too

that's how the forum works, ask for something and then complain when you get it :rolleyes:
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    khan5000 wrote: »
    We had a saying in the Navy...a B*tching sailor is a happy sailor...I think this applies to the STO player base.

Speaking as another ex-squid... nobody ever got happier that way. It's all about shared misery that turns into force of habit and a form of perverse pleasure in being miserable and taking others with you.

What other explanation is there for Shellback ceremonies?

Pretty soon, you can't stop complaining even when there's less to complain about.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    ladymyajhaladymyajha Member Posts: 1,427 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Speaking as another ex-squid... nobody ever got happier that way. It's all about shared misery that turns into force of habit and a form of perverse pleasure in being miserable and taking others with you.

What other explanation is there for Shellback ceremonies?

Pretty soon, you can't stop complaining even when there's less to complain about.

Speaking as yet another ex-squid... I think the basic premises of the the saying wasn't that it was shared misery... which it was...

But that as long as they... or the STO fan base... is complaining, it means they're still taking an interest in whatever they have to do.

The danger always was and always is, when they shut up and just go do it and don't bother saying anything anymore... because then they just simply don't give a rats booty any more and are just going through the motion because they've lost all hope.

But to the OP: I know you'd like it if everyone would just shut up and say to Cryptic how much we all love everything that Cryptic does... thank you very much can I have another... but nothing in the world works that way. People are built different and find different things enjoyable, as in this case. Also people may like the same thing... but see differently how it should be implemented properly. (Say on how to fix the PvE Queues and PvP).

So just because they're complaining doesn't mean that everything that Cryptic does isn't liked by everyone. It's when everyone hates something or when everyone suddenly gets very quiet you have to worry. Because when they get very very quiet... it's all over because they've all lost hope.
  • Options
    razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,186 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    While it is true that some rage about things they don't like, there are a lot of ones on the forums that are not all about the RAGE!

There are a lot of us that see where there can be improvement, and voice our opinions. That is a sign of players (who are all customers) that care about the product, and want to see it improve.

I have worked with the public for a lot of years in QC, and PR. I have also been a sales associate, and ran a retail store. So trust me, there will always be ones that rage about something. Sometimes it is just to rage, while others it is because they don't like the way something is done, and don't know how to properly handle it.

But raging about others that are raging is just doing the same thing. Just focusing on a different subject. But, I am sure that is not what you are doing OP.

I don't agree that rage is a proper way to handle things, especially when it is just a game. But, to classify anyone with an opinion as someone raging is the same as trolling, just like calling them names.

I like to read about others opinions. It will hopefully give the developers a chance to see where improvements might be done. But if all the opinions are happy and cheerful, then there will be areas where there will not be improvement, because they might not be made known.

That is just my opinion on it.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • Options
    samt1996samt1996 Member Posts: 2,856 Arc User
    edited April 2015

You mean that Cryptic is a company? You know, an economic entity created for making profit? Gee thanks man! I thought this was all a big charity for us five or six Star Trek fans!

*the biggest eye roll you could possibly imagine*
  • Options
    blakes7tvseriesblakes7tvseries Member Posts: 704 Arc User
    edited April 2015

seriously...

This might have meaning, but all of your posts are aimed at attacking someone.
    download.jpg
  • Options
    oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    In every game and science fiction forum I've been a member of, nerd rage is a big part of it.

Like the laws of physics and flies being attracted to turds, it's a universal constant. It comes with the territory. And it will never change.

Besides, I need an excuse to pop up some popcorn and watch the show from time to time. :D
  • Options
    stf65stf65 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2015

Yeah, because gene, nbc/cbs and paramount did it for the fans, not the money. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    stf65 wrote: »
    Yeah, because gene, nbc/cbs and paramount did it for the fans, not the money. :)

Truth! Gene was space Jesus reincarnate.
  • Options
    huskerklghuskerklg Member Posts: 561 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    the costs of a fleet ship with all modules is the same as the cost of the t6 variant of it, plus 1

Why should Fleet Players have to pay $20-25 more to get the ful Fleet equivalent with all the abilities and items? The fleet difference isn't worth that much.
  • Options
    therealgurutherealguru Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    WOW is making the most money ever in all mmo's existing and has 10 million players on it. Why ? because Blizzard listen to their players, like EVE and correct their mistakes.

Cryptic do what they want, they follow a line and don't change of it. They over create content, a little too fast for me, and it causes bugs, lags, etc ... I loved LoR, but since they are not doing the best possible.

I don't play wow, I don't like the ******** universe. I like sto and Star Trek universe, but lately even if I'm logged in lots of hours, I'm not playing the game. I'm just repeating some foundry mission for dilithium, while reading or doing something else.

Yes the player base has the right to react excessivelly when they like a game and the devs don't listen.

I don't care about the iconic t6, never played the t5 before and will never do it. I bought a T6 but well I'm still using T5-u on 75% of my chars because the ship traits are rarely really interesting.

I played swtor and lots of other mmo's. The classes and factions were important, with different stories for them that was the essences of those games. (SWTOR has 8 different story classes from lvl 1 to close to 50 divided in 3 acts each with voices acting)
    What do Cryptic ? same quest for everyone and every classes.
    is it something good you think ? then you are not an mmo player if you think that !

Cryptic need to earn money to keep the game up, I admit and it's logical.
    WOW just create a new content and they recovered 75% of their player base with monthly subscription. Good content make the player plays. bad content, issues, problem and ignoring players makes them leave the game.
    My Dm videos - My Yt channel

My Wordpress Blog - Blogger

In Space, drinking or piloting, you must choose ! If you drink, put on the autopilot ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2015
    razar2380 wrote: »
    While it is true that some rage about things they don't like, there are a lot of ones on the forums that are not all about the RAGE!

There are a lot of us that see where there can be improvement, and voice our opinions. That is a sign of players (who are all customers) that care about the product, and want to see it improve.

I have worked with the public for a lot of years in QC, and PR. I have also been a sales associate, and ran a retail store. So trust me, there will always be ones that rage about something. Sometimes it is just to rage, while others it is because they don't like the way something is done, and don't know how to properly handle it.

But raging about others that are raging is just doing the same thing. Just focusing on a different subject. But, I am sure that is not what you are doing OP.

I don't agree that rage is a proper way to handle things, especially when it is just a game. But, to classify anyone with an opinion as someone raging is the same as trolling, just like calling them names.

I like to read about others opinions. It will hopefully give the developers a chance to see where improvements might be done. But if all the opinions are happy and cheerful, then there will be areas where there will not be improvement, because they might not be made known.

That is just my opinion on it.

Not raging, actually, just shaking my head at how bad it is... sure complaints will pop up, but I've seen... just wow... rage.
    In every game and science fiction forum I've been a member of, nerd rage is a big part of it.

Like the laws of physics and flies being attracted to turds, it's a universal constant. It comes with the territory. And it will never change.

Besides, I need an excuse to pop up some popcorn and watch the show from time to time. :D

Nerds and poli sci folks are the best people to get going.
    WOW is making the most money ever in all mmo's existing and has 10 million players on it. Why ? because Blizzard listen to their players, like EVE and correct their mistakes.

Cryptic do what they want, they follow a line and don't change of it. They over create content, a little too fast for me, and it causes bugs, lags, etc ... I loved LoR, but since they are not doing the best possible.

I don't play wow, I don't like the ******** universe. I like sto and Star Trek universe, but lately even if I'm logged in lots of hours, I'm not playing the game. I'm just repeating some foundry mission for dilithium, while reading or doing something else.

Yes the player base has the right to react excessivelly when they like a game and the devs don't listen.

I don't care about the iconic t6, never played the t5 before and will never do it. I bought a T6 but well I'm still using T5-u on 75% of my chars because the ship traits are rarely really interesting.

Cryptic has gotten better at listening, since they fired the last lead developer.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    I would be happy to see all non-Trek nerds departing the game with the door not hitting their posteriors.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    hebdahebda Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited April 2015

It really bothers me when someone compares any MMO to WoW or even EvE for that matter. Why would anyone take 2 of the oldest MMOs and compare them to any of the newer ones? WoW has a very dedicated fanbase and has been around for over 10 years. EvE is a very similar story, except EvE is a niche MMO, most people would never maintain a sub to EvE because of the need to constantly manage your character.

STO released several years before SWTOR and not to talk TRIBBLE about Cryptic, but with the exception of City of Heroes/Villians, Cryptic wasn't exactly sitting at the top of the list of known developers, like Bioware was. Cryptic also got a terrible deal with Atari. Cryptic also had a short time frame to develop the game, which was a part of the deal when they bought the rights. I think they had 2 years or so to develop and release the game.

From the humble and jumbled beginnings that Cryptic and STO have had to what they are now, I would say that is a great accomplishment.
    “In the strict scientific sense we all feed on death…..even vegetarians.” – Spock