test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

how **** we are black hole time.

2»

Comments

• themariethemarie Member Posts: 1,055 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Why would you need a volunteer? Just program the ships computer to do it or a Photonic hologram if you want the illusion that it's someone making a noble sacrifice.

The program doesn't have to be sophisticated enough to be self aware.

All it needs to be able to do is

1. confirm it's location
    2. identify and confirm something the size of a dyson sphere is at that location
    3. fly to within a predesignated distance and activate the bomb

Sentient bombs are such a bad idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjGRySVyTDk

Let there be light!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjGRySVyTDk

Dark Star for the win. XD
  • e30erneste30ernest Member Posts: 1,794 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Turning that star into a black hole probably won't work. If I remember right, a star turned into a black hole doesn't increase in gravity, it just concentrates all of that gravity into a very tiny point (singularity). In theory, if a star with planets orbiting around it went boom and turned into a singularity, those planets would continue their orbits provided that their orbits weren't destabilized by the explosion or if the planets themselves weren't destroyed by the blast.

So if the Dyson Sphere and/or the ships within it were strong enough to survive the nova, none of them would get sucked into the resulting black hole. If they were strong enough to survive the blast, then we're all done for, since I do not think neither the Federation nor its allies have any weapon that would supercede the power of an exploding star.
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    You don't even need red matter (which, seem really under used considering its supposed huge black-hole creating potential). You want to destroy that star to eliminate all those ships? Do it old skool: TRILITHIUM.
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    khan1000 wrote: »
    just make a black hole inside the dyson sphere problem solved.

Or made even worse. Same goes for Red Matter.

What if it ends up tunneling the survivors back in time to a more defenseless Federation, Romulan Empire, and Klingon Empire? Or into another dimension where they can curbstomp everything and become even stronger?

Actually, that would be pretty fun. Stronger Iconian Heralds spawning out of dead Tholian Rifts, the Mirror Invasion queue occasionally spawning much harder Iconian Heralds, and Heralds randomly appearing in regular missions and queues due to what you've all done.

Of course, it's quite possible the Temporal agents have to forcefully hunt down those that would attempt to use Red Matter or a create spacial anomaly in an attempt to insta-raze the Heralds out of the sphere, even if it was of their own Faction, to prevent such a scenario.
  • woodwhitywoodwhity Member Posts: 2,636 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    e30ernest wrote: »
    If they were strong enough to survive the blast, then we're all done for, since I do not think neither the Federation nor its allies have any weapon that would supercede the power of an exploding star.

Time travel ;)
  • mavolio121mavolio121 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Sorry if I am going slightly off topic, but I ran across this article yesterday and just though I would share.:)
  • deaftravis05deaftravis05 Member Posts: 4,885 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    well, we could ask the Voth to destroy the star... while we're asking the voth to do it, we could confirm that their bridges are indeed inside their ships, right?