What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The Herald Sphere

Comments

• Options
    koihimenakamurakoihimenakamura Member Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I can easily see how they could continue - the Alliance will fall apart after the Iconians are defeated...
  • Options
    omgbamf00omgbamf00 Member Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The last thing this game needs is another worthless queue (that is, another queue that will be dead within a month). What they need to do is incorporate more Voth/Undine type space battlezones. Those are actually fun and don't require you to team up.

And for Q's sake.... PLEASE GIVE OUT CYBERNETIC IMPLANTS IN THE SOLANAE VOTH SPACE BATTLEZONE! Having to run around for an hour killing waves of Voth and a silly T-Rex just to get an implant is ridiculous.
  • Options
    linyivelinyive Member Posts: 1,086 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I can easily see how they could continue - the Alliance will fall apart after the Iconians are defeated...

Nah. If Cryptic did something like that, the game will suffer from severe repetition. As a result of the current game mechanics, reputation grinds specifically, "Star Trek: Online" is already suffering from grinding fatigue.

I have a funny feeling that the game has run its course.

Five years and ten seasons are great accomplishments.

Players are just running in circles.

After a few recent PerfectWorld rumors, I had a feeling that things were going to wind down.

"Star Trek: Online" has turned into a cash shop rather then a game.

It was only a matter of time.

Link: New Episode - Uneasy Allies
    Star Trek Online recently celebrated its fifth anniversary. Almost every story arc we've released over these five years has teased a coming threat. Nearly every attack, every clandestine operation, and every crisis that pushed the galaxy closer to war and instability has been orchestrated by a singular, ancient enemy.

The Iconians.

We've chased their shadows. We've walked in their footsteps, and we've found and used their gateways. Last year, in "Surface Tension," we finally saw one in the flesh. The danger was real. Through Delta Rising, we saw the lengths to which the Iconians were willing to go to control a willing species. They equipped the Vaadwaur with technology and sent them to disrupt the peace and stability of an entire quadrant.

Late last year Sela was rescued from an Iconian facility in "What's Left Behind." She's been in custody awaiting trial in the Romulan Republic ever since.

On Thursday, March 26, we will release "Uneasy Allies," a new featured episode starring Denise Crosby and the next part of our serialized storyline. You can expect two more blogs that will set the stage for this episode and let you see a little of what's happened to Sela since her apprehension. "Uneasy Allies" kicks off a story that’s been five years in the making.

The Iconians are coming, and this is our last chance to prepare for war.

I am now 100% certain that "Star Trek: Online" has come full-circle.
  • Options
    commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    It's a death star.
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • Options
    zagatozagato Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Much space. Pew pew. Such starships!
    Wow!

Cheers.
  • Options
    xxxseadog117xxxxxxseadog117xxx Member Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    linyive wrote: »
    Nah. If Cryptic did something like that, the game will suffer from severe repetition. As a result of the current game mechanics, reputation grinds specifically, "Star Trek: Online" is already suffering from grinding fatigue.

I have a funny feeling that the game has run its course.

Five years and ten seasons are great accomplishments.

Players are just running in circles.

After a few recent PerfectWorld rumors, I had a feeling that things were going to wind down.

"Star Trek: Online" has turned into a cash shop rather then a game.

It was only a matter of time.

I am now 100% certain that "Star Trek: Online" has come full-circle.

Not going to criticize you.

The Klingon-Federation war took 9 seasons to be resolved. How will the Iconians, who have been hyped ever since the beginning of STO, be less a threat than both the Feds and the Klinks? It won't last 1 season I know that.
    Kurland Here Kurland Here This is Kurland Kurland Kurland Here Kurland, Do you copy?

chiyoumiku wrote: »
    Here's a Tissue for your Issue.
  • Options
    vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I don't get why people are saying that it's the end of the game with the release of season 10. I see it as just another season with an additional servitor race to the Iconians. It is possible though that we will be heading to a point that they're setting the stage to one of the greatest arcs in the game.

Besides, there's still stuff we're missing from the game:

1) No gamma quadrant. If the Iconians want the whole galaxy, they have to do the Dominion areas.

2) Delta Quadrant needs fleshing out more: Krenim are still a possibility to be introduced since it's a group that people wanted to encounter.

3) With the addition of several sectors, we have room for future content in the alpha and beta quadrants.

Seriously, don't talk doom. It really hurts the game's image.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I don't get why people are saying that it's the end of the game with the release of season 10. I see it as just another season with an additional servitor race to the Iconians. It is possible though that we will be heading to a point that they're setting the stage to one of the greatest arcs in the game.

1) No gamma quadrant. If the Iconians want the whole galaxy, they have to do the Dominion areas.

2) Delta Quadrant needs fleshing out more: Krenim are still a possibility to be introduced since it's a group that people wanted to encounter.

3) With the addition of several sectors, we have room for future content in the alpha and beta quadrants.

During the last five years, the topic had surfaced on a few occasions. According to what I had understood, the game would end with the arrival of the Iconians. Klingon and Federation war, the concept that started the game, was directly linked to the Iconians. Cryptic had originally mentioned that the Iconians will end the game. I wish I held onto the original interviews and podcasts. Unless Cryptic had a sudden change in plans, the up and coming Season will mark the end.

We will have to get more information.

Many people were waiting for this moment.

We all knew it was going to happen.

Also, over the past few years, the parent company has been having issues. Something must have changed to bring the game full circle. It's not all about doom and gloom.

Cryptic previously said the Iconians marked endgame.

We need more information.

Something changed internally for this to happen.
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015

Here's my theory. It's Iconian Rep either because (a) placeholder or, more likely, (b) we're not going to actually fight the Iconians. This is a la Delta rep; we're fighting a lose organization of species with S10, and the rep's named after the similarity. Either way; I've seen nothing to indicate we're actually fighting Iconians, and I don't expect that we will be.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Here's my theory. It's Iconian Rep either because (a) placeholder or, more likely, (b) we're not going to actually fight the Iconians. This is a la Delta rep; we're fighting a lose organization of species with S10, and the rep's named after the similarity. Either way; I've seen nothing to indicate we're actually fighting Iconians, and I don't expect that we will be.

Read post #94.

Iconians are coming in Season Ten.

We hit the end of the story.
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Captains,

This is your mission and you are required to take upon this mission which we will code name massive treadmill grind(or we will flash a tos in your face that says we will kick you out if you don't play and spend money again). So the iconians have taken over a newspaper called the herald and their headquarters is some kind of rock in space with pretty colors splattered on it. Because the pages of a newspaper when rolled up are too tight to burn or vaporize with a phaser rifle you will be going on a mission to turn it into a sphere where you then will light with an interstellar lighter. Now you willl love this because its going to be a new dilithium, doff, skill point, specialization, ship mastery, crafting, etc grinds for you to do because you love them Geko(TM). Now you can get your awesome rewards once you have glued all the letters that make up the newspaper in the form of a ransom note to get those poor starving zombie children who were abducted in DR. Now you will love this because once a day per character when you finish this mission if you do not fail it of course you win one letter of a word to construct your herald newspaper. Keep in mind we did not intend for this to be a grind but we are offering if you buy lockbox keys today we will give you a vowel to go with your other letters. Now after such and such date it will require lobi to get these vowels.

Enjoy the Newspaper Grind!

You figured out their master plan.

Now they have to kill you.:eek:
  • Options
    angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Not really excited about yet ANOTHER sphere. I don't like to have my starships indoors, but whatever. I hope there are at least some decent ground maps like the Dyson BZ included ^^
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • Options
    p4hajujup4hajuju Member Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The end is nigh!

Well at least the people who said the game will die eventually were right.
    Galavant!
    "Use Temporal Skills to NERF EVERYTHING before it happened!" -Unknown source.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The time has come to take the fight to the Iconians. Their servants, the Heralds, have constructed a temple to their Iconian masters. We need your help if we have any hope at this operation. Alliance Command has developed a daring plan that requires your skill and resourcefulness.

You can find your briefing here, Captain.

~LaughingTrendy

Cool thing. Another PvE map. The artworks look awesome so far and I look forward to run it.

Let’s hope the effort/reward ratio will lead to a queue that does not take 10 minutes to pop, if at all.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    p4hajuju wrote: »
    The end is nigh!

Well at least the people who said the game will die eventually were right.

Well, if PWE's financial status is any indication, one can only wonder what may become of Cryptic. PWE's stock is on a downtrend and they just laid off 18 people. That doesn't exactly inspire confidence.
  • Options
    jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited March 2015
    Earth is Invaded by the Iconans, Star Fleet command taken

These troops are as powerfull as the players and there are thousands of them , They must be pushed back

Space above earth is a battlezone of enemy invasion and support ships pushing our ships back from our home

There are no respawns if your killed or ship destroyed your battle for that day is over until the next day
    the same for the enemy no respawns
    ( Now Alts have value )

The economy is in shambles regenerators repair parts supplies have massive price hikes because demand is so high...The exchange is closed, Enemy raiders break into ESD slaughtering players left and right until there stoped

The same story is reported from our Allies the Klingons and romulans with their homeworlds under siege !

Something like this is kinda what I was hoping for
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    jellico1 wrote: »
    Earth is Invaded by the Iconans, Star Fleet command taken

These troops are as powerfull as the players and there are thousands of them , They must be pushed back

Space above earth is a battlezone of enemy invasion and support ships pushing our ships back from our home

There are no respawns if your killed or ship destroyed your battle for that day is over until the next day
    the same for the enemy no respawns
    ( Now Alts have value )

The economy is in shambles regenerators repair parts supplies have massive price hikes because demand is so high...The exchange is closed, Enemy raiders break into ESD slaughtering players left and right until there stoped

The same story is reported from our Allies the Klingons and romulans with their homeworlds under siege !

Something like this is kinda what I was hoping for

Cats and dogs living together... mass hysteria!
  • Options
    laro1984laro1984 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think the Story is longer in the planing then the current devolpments around PW and eventually we get a new story arc after it eventually a smaller more personal but there are enough areas left for example let a small borg ship steal a bit Iconian tech after the big battle and we have a new big evil enemy.
    If iam wrong about it i would be very sad :/

For everyone else please sing -> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqcn_TPu4qQ ;P
  • Options
    randwulf0969randwulf0969 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Maybe this means the Iconian story arc (and war) is ending and we will be getting back to being explorers? :)

Exploration Specialization and ships might be cool.
  • Options
    monkeybone13monkeybone13 Member Posts: 4,640 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Not really excited about yet ANOTHER sphere. I don't like to have my starships indoors, but whatever. I hope there are at least some decent ground maps like the Dyson BZ included ^^

The only problem with flying indoors is when Burger King calls and says "Hey! That is NOT what the fly-through window at the space station meant you idiot!" :D
  • Options
    randwulf0969randwulf0969 Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I feel it might be in PWE's best interests to assure players that there will more content beyond the Iconians and STO will not be "winding down" as some have said. Until I have such reassurances, I doubt I'll be spending much real money on the game.
  • Options
    greyhame3greyhame3 Member Posts: 914 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    If STO is winding down, there could be more reasons than PWEs troubles.

Could also be that that their license expires.
  • Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    STO isn't 'winding down'. I may strongly disagree with some recent design decisions and think that it's going to hurt them in the long run, but they're still not even close to being in any real trouble. Besides, we aren't even fighting the iconians, just another servitor race.
  • Options
    philipclaybergphilipclayberg Member Posts: 1,680
    edited March 2015
    clcopeland wrote: »
    I read this and all I can think of is yet another sphere...in space...

Kind of round...like a ball...in space...

A set of giant round balls, in space...

I guess the Iconians have a lot of...spheres

"We have nothing to sphere ... but sphere itself." (paraphrased from an FDR speech)
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    STO isn't 'winding down'. I may strongly disagree with some recent design decisions and think that it's going to hurt them in the long run, but they're still not even close to being in any real trouble. Besides, we aren't even fighting the iconians, just another servitor race.

Star Trek Online recently celebrated its fifth anniversary. Almost every story arc we've released over these five years has teased a coming threat. Nearly every attack, every clandestine operation, and every crisis that pushed the galaxy closer to war and instability has been orchestrated by a singular, ancient enemy.

The Iconians.

We've chased their shadows. We've walked in their footsteps, and we've found and used their gateways. Last year, in "Surface Tension," we finally saw one in the flesh. The danger was real. Through Delta Rising, we saw the lengths to which the Iconians were willing to go to control a willing species. They equipped the Vaadwaur with technology and sent them to disrupt the peace and stability of an entire quadrant.

Late last year Sela was rescued from an Iconian facility in "What's Left Behind." She's been in custody awaiting trial in the Romulan Republic ever since.

On Thursday, March 26, we will release "Uneasy Allies," a new featured episode starring Denise Crosby and the next part of our serialized storyline. You can expect two more blogs that will set the stage for this episode and let you see a little of what's happened to Sela since her apprehension. "Uneasy Allies" kicks off a story that’s been five years in the making.

The Iconians are coming, and this is our last chance to prepare for war.

Did you really need Cryptic to spell things out?

Link: The Herald Sphere
    The time has come to take the fight to the Iconians. Their servants, the Heralds, have constructed a temple to their Iconian masters.

Have you ever heard of the word 'herald'?
    herald
    [her-uh ld]

to indicate or signal the coming of; usher in.

The Iconian storyline, the main premise behind "Star Trek: Online", is coming to an end.

My prediction:
    Season 10 = We confront the Herald.
    Season 10.5 = The Iconians finally arrive.
    Season 11 = Something new or the end.

According to someone in this thread, the next reputation system contains Iconian marks.

Its the end, Jim.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    linyive wrote: »

The Iconian storyline, the main premise behind "Star Trek: Online", is coming to an end.

My prediction:
    Season 10 = We confront the Herald.
    Season 10.5 = The Iconians finally arrive.
    Season 11 = Something new or the end.

According to someone in this thread, the next reputation system contains Iconian marks.

That timeline would take us to September/October maybe. Ever since these Heralds leaked I've had a very bad feeling about this. The only reason I have optimism is that they are expending a lot of resources on setting up long term systems - like revamped system space - which suggests to me that they intend for the game to stay around in maintenance for a long time.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    captainmal3captainmal3 Member Posts: 436 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The only reason I have optimism is that they are expending a lot of resources on setting up long term systems - like revamped system space
    This is the crucial point for me, they are putting way too much money in to this game for it to be anywhere close to dying. Maybe the iconians really will come within the next year, and maybe we'll beat them nearly instantly, but all that means is that they'll bring in a new enemy for us to fight. The iconian story may or may not be reaching its end, but STO most certainly isn't.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    This is the crucial point for me, they are putting way too much money in to this game for it to be anywhere close to dying. Maybe the iconians really will come within the next year, and maybe we'll beat them nearly instantly, but all that means is that they'll bring in a new enemy for us to fight. The iconian story may or may not be reaching its end, but STO most certainly isn't.
    That timeline would take us to September/October maybe. Ever since these Heralds leaked I've had a very bad feeling about this. The only reason I have optimism is that they are expending a lot of resources on setting up long term systems - like revamped system space - which suggests to me that they intend for the game to stay around in maintenance for a long time.

Critical business decisions occur very quickly. Even though companies plan for the future, the reality is that anything can change in an instant. Something may have changed. We need more information.

Did Cryptic's license expire?

Did the layoffs cause Cryptic to change plans?

Did CBS signal for the end?

Does Cryptic have another plan?

*shrugs*

When the endgame scenario had been talked about, the developers specifically pointed to the arrival of the Iconians. Unless something had suddenly changed, the main premise behind "Star Trek: Online" is coming to an end.

Will there be another storyline?

What is the plan?

We just need more information.
  • Options
    sgtkokkensgtkokken Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well.. one thing is for certain... everything has an end!!! even STO. BUT!!!! Instead of spending time complaining about the end, go enjoy the game. Smile whenever new content is released, because there is no need for mourning of a coming end before they actually announce it... and who knows... that might be a long time from now!!! :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    LLAP
  • Options
    luddimusluddimus Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    What will the final alliance look like?
    Tuvok melded with the Undine saying better together, the Voth have all but buggered off - will they return to fight? Lets not forget the Cube approaching DS9 - Friend or foe?

Also they may use this opportunity to kill Enterprise - F and roll out G.

Gamma quadrant gameplay - A distress call from Odo?

There are a few seasons left I think