test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What is you character's greatest fear?

ambassadormolariambassadormolari Member Posts: 709 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Ten Forward
So, lately, I've been playing Dragon Age: Inquisition in my spare time and loving every minute of it. In one part of the game, (minor spoiler) you and your party enter the realm of a fear demon. One of the things you find is a little row of tombstones, each with the name of one of your followers and their greatest fear. The fears themselves are usually simple words or phrases, like Madness or Dying Alone or The Nothing. It was a simple, yet effective bit of storytelling that tells you a lot about your party without saying much.

With that in mind, what are the greatest fears of your characters?

For me:

Arkos Nair- Looking Back- When Arkos first fled to the Federation, he was mesmerized by what he saw as a technologically and socially advanced utopia, a place he could happily live in and call home. He has eagerly assimilated to the Federation way of life, and wants to forget the miserable, squalid homeworld he first fled. He has always had his eyes forward, towards the future and towards greater and more daring heights. His greatest fear, though, is looking back-- he wants to forget the place he came from, and fears that if he lets his past catch up to him, he'll sink back into the wretched existence he once fled from. It is for this reason that he has never, ever, once tried regain contact with his people.

Meral Ranek- The Betrayer- Meral is consciously aware that while she has been living in the Federation, Cardassia has become embroiled in an ugly civil war. Even though the Federation has officially sided with the Detapa Council, Meral has done everything she can to keep herself and her ship out of Cardassian space. The reason for this is that she has divided sympathies: her father, before he died, was a strong supporter of the Council, while her mother had many ties to the True Way. She has family and friends on both sides of the conflict, and knows that to side with some would mean betraying others. She knows that she is already seen as a traitor for wearing a Starfleet uniform, and it bothers her more than she cares to admit. For this reason, her greatest fear is being ordered by Starfleet to participate in the conflict, to be forced into a war she wants no part of.

Lynathru- The Cage. Slavery is a heavily ingrained part of Orion culture, and all Orions are taught to accept it as normal. Lynathru, however, always grew up in privilege (or at least relative privilege, given the marginalized status of Orion males), and this acceptance was always tempered by ambition. He has felt what it is like to have autonomy and self-determination, and while outwardly he proudly declares the righteousness of the Orion social system, and he does not fear being leashed. What he does fear, however, is a total loss of freedom-- of being locked away, as a prisoner or as property, and left completely at the mercy of someone else. As a man commanded by the KDF and hunted by his enemies in the Syndicate, that is a terror that Lynathru must deal with every day of his life.

Ta'nara Velar- Damnation. Ta'nara has done a lot of horrible things in her time before she joined the Romulan Republic. She always did them willingly, and while she believes they were all for the greater good of the Romulan people, she also acknowledges that they were still horrible. Her deepest fear is that one day she will have to account for her many sins-- or worse, discover that all of the innocent lives she hurt and all of the rules she broke were all for nothing.

Those are mine How about yours?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by ambassadormolari on

Comments

• Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    That they are not in control of their own lives. Where every action they make is being controlled by some entity beyond their comprehension for its amusement.
  • Options
    garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    edited March 2015
  • Options
    kimonykimony Member Posts: 571 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Being replaced by a Delta recruit.

#SaucersForever #TrianglesCutDeep #TeamBeta #ShipOneisNumberOne
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Alyosha's greatest fear, which he has had to face in small situations a few times, is being exposed in a public manner as a Devidian. He has no connection to his biological kin and knows only human culture and language, and is not blinded by instinct. Forgive the example, but he is as controlled around humanoids as a Hindu believer would be around a cow--as in, he can see clearly that they would nourish him but he sees the act of killing to eat as such an offense against God and sentient life that he'd literally have to be dying for it to become a temptation (and he would sooner kill himself than allow himself to give in and drain someone's neural energy). To put it in human terms he typically only reacts with "hunger" to his artificial energy source--asking him if you of I were appetizing would get a very vehement "NO!!!"

Unfortunately while some people would see who he is and are ready to accept that denial as the truth, a lot of people are not, and would react with fear that could cost him his career at best, or his freedom or life at the worst. He knows for a fact that his career has been slowed due to distrust, compared to the treatment a member of another species with the same performance would have received, and he almost got kicked out of the Academy in 2369 when the Time's Arrow incident occurred and a records check after the fact, that turned up a species match between him and the temporal invaders.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    worffan101worffan101 Member Posts: 9,518 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    D'trel's greatest fear is failing. Failing her quest for vengeance, failing her lost love--she would kill herself rather than go on living if she failed one of those.
  • Options
    gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Berat's greatest fear is that tyranny will come to Cardassia again. He has suffered greatly at the hands of the state before the Union's fall, and he fears that the beast will rise again. By Cardassian standards he would be considered almost fringe left wing, whereas to an American he would come across as right of center. He serves as the highest-ranked dual commissioned officer--a vice admiral in Starfleet and second in command of the 77th Fleet, the Starfleet force that helps keep the peace within Cardassian borders. Some call it an occupation force. He believes that until the True Way is truly neutralized as a threat, they should not leave and thus tell the terrorists that the Feds will stand by and allow a takeover. And until the fighting ends, quite frankly, he does not consider Cardassia to have earned its right to full sovereignty back.

He fears tyranny far more than he does attempts to collect the high price on his head, or the condemnation of those of his people who consider him the ultimate collaborator.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • Options
    hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,762 Arc User
    edited March 2015
  • Options
    k20vteck20vtec Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    My greatest fear is destroying the Dream of the Federation.
    Hast thou not gone against sincerity
    Hast thou not felt ashamed of thy words and deeds
    Hast thou not lacked vigor
    Hast thou exerted all possible efforts
    Hast thou not become slothful
  • Options
    taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    PvP Cloakers, of all varieties.
    Devious, deceitful and deviant.

Like in the Matrix, when Neo is told, "If you see an agent, you do what we do, run."

If you hear a Cloak...
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • Options
    adamkafeiadamkafei Member Posts: 6,539 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm not sure what Kayleigh's biggest fear is... Probably telepaths more knowledgeable than herself.
    ZiOfChe.png?1
  • Options
    artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Iconians...
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,398 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Nbreeki -- That Disco will die again.
    It's been dead for centuries. That's what that smell is.

Sills' greatest fear is that he will fail in his trust, and innocent civilians will be harmed by the greater threats the galaxy has to offer. He places himself between civilians, not just of the Federation but any who haven't taken up the mantle of the warrior, and those who would destroy them. And while it hasn't come to that yet, he would happily sacrifice his life to end the threats.

Aelith t'Shael doesn't have room for fear. There's too much rage. There's a reason her T6 ship is named RRW Ra'khoi s'Virinat (Virinat's Revenge), after all...
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    cptjhuntercptjhunter Member Posts: 2,288 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The server shutting down, or being wiped.
  • Options
    marcusdkanemarcusdkane Member Posts: 7,439 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Marcus Kane: Water, or more specifically, the recollections of his mother's death which it triggers
    Amanda Palmer: Losing control of her addictive tendencies
    Ael t'Kazanak: Being powerless/unable to act
    Hugo Danner: Spiders
    Val'Quis: Dying in her sleep
    Aidoann t'Mirok: Birds
  • Options
    mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    S'ttels greatest fear is that someone will reprogram his shower to dispense nair or veet instead of shampoo! :eek:
    hZbIdbh.jpg
    THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    spockout1spockout1 Member Posts: 314 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    That I won't be able to use the ships I want at all. Creep.
    "After a time, you may find that having is not so pleasing a thing after all as wanting. It is not logical, but it is often true. Except for a T5 Connie. That would be f*%#ing awesome." - Mr. Spock
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mjarbar wrote: »
    S'ttels greatest fear is that someone will reprogram his shower to dispense nair or veet instead of shampoo! :eek:

I am certain that S'ttels has nothing to worry about since Nair and Veet haven't been used in centuries. There are far more effective products available in the 25th Century.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Main heroes of my foundry series have to worry about their own family members as enemies.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Character fears?

K'Mec: Dishonor, hopeless situations beyond control, being alone for long periods of time. (Klingon, Female)
    Marro, Celise: Control issues, spiky temprament. (Bajoran, Female)
    Shenna: Lack of recognition, dishonor, not being the center of attention. (Orion, Female)
    Ethic Bok: Greed, lust, disrespect, cowardice. (Ferengi Male)
    K'Ella: Dying alone and forgotten, not being apart of a family house. (Klingon, Female)
    Khemitolar Vixtorix: Tal Shiar attempt another sell their souls deal, bright lights. (Reman, Male)
    T'Sara: Not being Klingon enough, acting like a coward, dishonor. (Romulan, Female)
    Vladimir Pozhenkhov: Losing family estate in Russia, not having kids to pass along the family tradition to Starfleet, target fixation. (Human, Male)
    Slaassh: Not winning the next galactic wide dancing competition,staying out of shape. (Gorn, Male)
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    worffan101 wrote: »
    D'trel's greatest fear is failing. Failing her quest for vengeance, failing her lost love--she would kill herself rather than go on living if she failed one of those.

I wonder what scares Three?

*Cutaway to Three briskly marching down the hallway. A red shirt stops her.*

Redshirt: Hello, Captain! Where are you headed off to in such a rush?

Three: Out of my way, you organic equivalent to a wet paper towel square. I'm going to raid the replicators for snacks and booze and see if I can possibly start up the Warp Engines in a single go.

Redshirt: Oh, but you'll miss the big announcement!

Three: What announcement?

*Redshirt turns on a wall panel to a news network*

Broadcaster: We have just received official word on the Federation elections. Your new President of the Federation, in a record breaking land side victory, is....ADMIRAL KATHRYN JANEWAY!

*Three shrieks as the camera closes in to her face before cutting to her jerking up out of bed.*

Three: Oh what the hell...

*Three frantically turns on the news*

Broadcaster: -and the President of the Federation celebrated his 876th birthday to day with his family and friends. What a long and prosperous term he continues to serve.

Three: Oh thank Roddenberry. It was just a nightmare.

Broadcaster: And now a word from our sponsors.

*TV cuts to a TV cooking show*

Neelix: HEY THERE, CONNOISSEURS AND CAPTAINS! It's your pal, Neelix, hear to share some exciting news! My new Neelix Delicious Delights replicators have just been named to official food replicator in the Federation! Now every ship can have a meal as though I made it myself! The most recent one being installed on the U.S.S. Takei!

*Three looks horrified as the replicator with Neelix's face on it activates. She screams and the camera zooms in before cutting to her bed again*

Three: *breathing* Oh god....(Looks at replicator, which appears normal) Another nightmare. I gotta lay off the before bed chimichangas.

*Three looks down next to her at a sleeping figure. She cuddles up next to it.*

Three: Oh babe, you would not believe the dreams I've been having.

*The figure turns over, revealing to be a naked Admiral Quinn*

Quinn: Tell me all about it, baby.

*Three screams. The camera cuts again*

Three: (Looks at her empty bed and lies back) For the love of Shatner. THREE nightmares in a row? I need to take my mind off this. Computer, radio.

*The computer beeps*

Announcer: -And we are back! We're hear with fiction writer, Worffan101, who has announced that they plan to stop writing for Star Trek and start writing for Doctor Who!

Three: AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaactually, Doctor Who isn't that bad of a universe. I could steal the TARDIS and bang every companion from Susan to Rose.

Announcer: So, Worffan, what will become of beloved wildcard character, Nemesis Unit Three?

Worffan: I plan to keep her in the Star Trek universe with a new team to take good care of her.

Announcer: Oh really? Who?

Worffan: Rick Berman and Brannon Braga.

*Three screams. Camera cut*

Three: (gasping for breath) Oh god...oh god...oh go-What the?

*Three notices a bunch of figures standing by her bedside*

Three: Oh god damn it, it's you Ten Forward nerds. Why are you here?

Moonshadowdark: We're writing this entire nightmare dreamscape bit.

Three: Seriously?

Jonsills: Yep. Worffan101 is working on a collab, so we decided to pick up the slack for them.

Three: Uuuugh. How many more of these nightmares do I have to do before I wake up for reals?

Aten66: About four or five more?

Three: (groans) And this nightmare is?

Iconians: You walk out onto the bridge and discover that everything has been Delta Rising'd by Geko.

Three: *groans again* Fine. Let's get this one over with.

*Three exits the room with the Ten Forward crew behind her*

Valoreah: The one after this is mine! IT'S A ROOM...WITH A MOOOSE!

The end
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    rooster707rooster707 Member Posts: 901 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I wonder what scares Three?

-snip-

These forums need a like button...
    76561198032353876.png
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,398 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    "I will now leave you to your --"

"Say 'moosey fate'! Say 'moosey fate'!!" Jonsills interrupted, in an oddly squeaky voice.

"...your MOOSEY FATE!!!" Valoreah finished, with a dramatic flourish.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    hfmuddhfmudd Member Posts: 881 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Kyle Sinclair - Imposter Syndrome. Kyle is one of those promising young officers who have been very rapidly promoted since the war(s) broke out. The Klingon attack on Ajilon which kicked off the Archanis offensive killed most of the senior officers (who were attending a dinner party on the ground) and left his ship behind the new front lines; he took command without much time to think about it. He's spent most of the nine years since (my fleet's on a slightly extended timeline; it's 2415 "now") being recognized for his talents and privately convinced that they, and he, are a complete sham and someday someone's going to figure this out, probably after he screws up terribly and gets a lot of people killed - see also Horatio Hornblower, one of the classic examples, especially for Trek. He's finally started getting over this in the last year or two, after talking with some fellow captains and officers he respects (who've shared their own feelings and experiences - it's apparently really common, even in RL).
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    rooster707 wrote: »
    These forums need a like button...

I need to stop having crazy ideas. :D

Serious contribution to the topic: Elijah's greatest fear is failing as a captain and a leader. Dude's got a major case of the Heroism and failing to protect his crew and his friends would devastate him to no end.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Can't...stop...laughing...oh god...so funny...oh god...

Moonshadowdark, do one of those nightmares with Paris and Janeway's lizard babies. Please!
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Moonshadowdark wins the Internet. :D

Eleya's biggest fear by far is getting her subordinates killed pointlessly. She can deal with the fear of her own death -- she's fond of quoting one of her Bajoran Militia drill instructors as saying, "Soldier goes into combat and he ain't scared, he's either dead or stupid." But she's got over a thousand lives depending on her making the right call, and she gets pre-mission jitters bad, and frequently beats herself up over combat casualties even when they weren't really avoidable.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    starswordc wrote: »
    Moonshadowdark wins the Internet. :D

Eleya's biggest fear by far is getting her subordinates killed pointlessly. She can deal with the fear of her own death -- she's fond of quoting one of her Bajoran Militia drill instructors as saying, "Soldier goes into combat and he ain't scared, he's either dead or stupid." But she's got over a thousand lives depending on her making the right call, and she gets pre-mission jitters bad, and frequently beats herself up over combat casualties even when they weren't really avoidable.

Moonshadowdark wins EVERY Internet forever.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    worffan101 wrote: »
    Can't...stop...laughing...oh god...so funny...oh god...

Moonshadowdark, do one of those nightmares with Paris and Janeway's lizard babies. Please!

BUH BUH BUH BONUS SCEEEEEEEENE!

*Camera fades in on Three in bed. Her eyes are bloodshot and her skin is a sickly yellow color. She slowly rises out of bed and looks at the TF crew*

Three: Which. One of you. Wrote. That last. Dream.

Moonshadow: The last one? (flicks through a notebook) Ah! "Three gets rebooted into JJTrek and is played by Kristen Stewart". That was Marcusdkane's, and a very well done entry. Kudos.

*The crew gives a round of applause*

Marcusdkane: No, please. You are all too kind.

Three: You. Are all.....TRIBBLE.

Moonshadow: Chin up. We're up to the last leg. Okay so the last sequence is going to be done by either Nabreeki or Mirrorchaos. Nabreeki, what was your entry?

Nabreeki: Three enters a world where Disco never happened.

*The TF crew stands there quietly a few seconds.*

Ashkrik23: That's not really scary.

Jonsills: Yeah, that's actually a good dream.

Moonshadow: Damn it, Nabreeki. Okay, Mirrorchaos. Your entry?

*Mirror whispers something to Moonshadow*

Moonshadow: OH GROSS. OH THAT IS SICK. SICK AND TWISTED. YOU HAVE SOME SERIOUS DEMONS, SIR!

*Camera cuts to Three sitting in a kiddie pool with two fully grown mammailian lizards. The TF crew is off to the side, a good distance away.*

Three: What the hell ARE these things?

Marcus: Those are the gross hyper evolved babies of Lt. Tom Paris and Captain Janeway from the Voyager episode "Threshold". You have to pet them, tell them they are good lizard/fish/monkey/whatevers and then let them give you a kiss.

Three: OH HELL NO! I am NOT letting these things touch me!

Ashkrik: It was a compromise with Mirror. He wanted you to just watch the episode "Threshold".

Moonshadow: I deemed that to be cruel and unusual torture and we negotiated to this.

Three: I don't care, I'm not doing this!

Moonshadow: *groans* Ugh, fine. Mirror, any other suggestions?

Mirror: She could give me a sponge bath.

*The TF crew cringes and groans*

Jonsills: Oh COME ON!

Iconians: It's bad enough you chose to walk around like the aborted result of a twisted menage a trois of Emperor Palpatine, Hellraiser and Magnum P.I. We're not going to stand here and watch you get scrubbed down. That weird Hawaiian shirt stays on.

Moonshadow: Agreed. This was NOT part of the plan.

Mirror: Awwww.... (Mirror looks down dejected)

Molari: Just do the Threshold nightmare and we can all get away from Mirrorchaos.

Arten42: Yeah! Do it!

Three: No.

Moonshadow: Come on. It's just one kiss!

Three: NO!

*The crew looks about exasperated. The door opens and two people walk in*

Moonshadow: Hey, it's celebrated collaboration writers of the Ten Forward forum, Starswordc and Starkaos!

Starswordc: Hey guys!

Starkaos: What's up?

Moonshadow: Nightmare dreamscape comedy sketch for a thread.

Starswordc: Oh cool. What's in the kiddie pool?

Moonshadow: Don't look in the po-

(Starswordc looks in. Her eyes widen and her face pales before she starts dry heaving)

Starkaos: What? What is i- (Kaos looks in and starts screaming) AAAAAAH! AAAAAAAH! AH! AH! AHHHHHHH! (Kaos scrambles away and runs into a wall)

Jonsills: We didn't want to look at them. That's why we're standing out of line of sight.

*Starswordc collapses, still heaving, while Kaos continues to scream and retreat. Worffan walks into the room as Kaos leaves*

Worffan: What is going o-

*Worffan gazes at the scene for a few seconds. D'trel comes in behind them.*

D'trel: Hey, boss. About the next chapter in the collab, I was wondering if I shoul-

*Worffan pushes D'trel out of the room*

Worffan: Nope. Nope. Nope. Back to the ULC thread. We were never here. Go, go, go, go.

*Worffan and D'trel leave a crying Three and a jeering TF crew behind*

The End.

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP