test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Delta Recruitment

Comments

• johngazmanjohngazman Member Posts: 2,826 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So, do those of us with years invested in the game get anything?
    You're just a machine. And machines can be broken.
    StarTrekFirstContactBorgBattleonetumblr_lln3v6QoT31qzrtqe.gif
  • tyberius73tyberius73 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I was actually thinking about starting a new character anyways, so this might be a good thing. I just hope that they broaden the species choice to choose from.

Though I do understand some of the frustrations of others, about issues that still need addressed.
  • bradhadbradhad Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Prediction 1- the server-wide goals will be faction locked.

Prediction 2- the server-wide goals will be set high enough that attaining them challenges the FED server population. That is to say, neither the KDF nor the RR will have a hope in hell of filling those goals, unless cryptic decides to lavish some attention on said faction+minifaction and take their smaller population size into account. Because really, I expect them to care about those populations.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    johngazman wrote: »
    So, do those of us with years invested in the game get anything?

You get a free character slot... that's zen you just saved.
  • jrq2jrq2 Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Wow, what a shocker, another hard core ONLY player event.

Nothing for the 10 hours or less a week crowed.

As it is I am still looking for the light at the end of the tunnel, and every day I struggle with should I play today or not. It has gone to the point that there is nothing new in this game but to wash rinse and repeat the same mission over, and over, and over again.

It looks to be like a good event, but to start over just for this event, oh, that endless tunnel just makes me cringe just thinking about it.

Nope, I just don’t have the stomach for it, I’m out.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    bradhad wrote: »
    Prediction 1- the server-wide goals will be faction locked.

Prediction 2- the server-wide goals will be set high enough that attaining them challenges the FED server population. That is to say, neither the KDF nor the RR will have a hope in hell of filling those goals, unless cryptic decides to lavish some attention on said faction+minifaction and take their smaller population size into account. Because really, I expect them to care about those populations.

I say the goals will NOT be faction restricted.

2nd the goals will be reasonable cause all it's giving is bonus XP. They wants folks to level up to 60 for the new stuff.
  • trinitycompletedtrinitycompleted Member Posts: 108 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    May 21st is a Tuesday.

A Tuesday in late spring.

What always happens on Tuesdays ...?

We get photon torpedoes, medical staff and a tractor beam.
    Don't phaze me, bro!
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,336 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Okay, just so everyone is clear, I'm going to be putting quoted text from the blog here that address everyone's fears about their current characters becoming Obsolete.
    Delta Recruits will be playing a parallel story to that of their chosen faction. They have a list of goals that they can achieve at any time, and completing these goals will see them rewarded with equipment, Marks, and other rewards beneficial not just to the Delta Recruit, but to all characters on the same account.

This bit should pretty much squash fears that alts will become obsolete. All characters will benefit from what the Delta recruit character picks up.
    Completing the story arcs of your chosen faction will reward you with a unique Starship Trait for all characters on your account: Temporal Insight. This trait will proc a Damage Immunity when you use any Hull Heal on your starship.

Once again, we get a reward here that is unlocked for all of your characters on your account. This is probably as far from alt unfriendly as you can get!

I ask people to please copy this information onto later pages so people don't have to keep asking about this.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
  • commodoreobviouscommodoreobvious Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Finally, during the first six weeks of the seven-week Delta Recruit event, there will be server wide goals that only Delta Recruits can contribute to, but by accomplishing these goals, they unlock bonuses for the entire server for the whole of the next week of the event!

This is nice if you run a bunch on the alt week one and then get the bonus XP on week 2
  • highcommand5highcommand5 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    My pants just exploded
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I do suspect as one poster suggested that Delta Recruits will be Delta Quadrant races sent back in time to play the tutorial.

I doubt it. It sounds very much like a new incentive to play through old content with the standard races available for the factions.

Not that I'd mind having new races available, but it doesn't make sense plotwise to allow Delta races to show up in the Beta Quadrant in 2409.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,149 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I doubt it. It sounds very much like a new incentive to play through old content with the standard races available for the factions.

Not that I'd mind having new races available, but it doesn't make sense plotwise to allow Delta races to show up in the Beta Quadrant in 2409.

Isn't the whole thing about recruiting Delta Quadrant races?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    a better incentive to play the old missions again would be to add proper rewards to them (for all chars)... not just lousy 192 dil and ridiculous amounts of xp
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well, personally I'm going to see how this pans out - wait until more information becomes available before I start screaming one way or the other.

Free character slot is all very well... but the effort involved in levelling up (and, more significantly, outfitting) alts has increased a lot since Delta Rising went live, and an event where participation effectively requires us to make a new alt... um. Might be interesting, but finding the time to participate could be a problem. Unless I'm prepared to leave some or all of my existing toons on the back burner, which I'm not sure that I am.

But I will wait and see.
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • sharpie65sharpie65 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I love how you all seem to know that this Delta Recruitment thingymabob will be absolutely terrible and you'll have to grind for reps and the like..Seriously, what are you? Children who want things spelling out for them?
    MXeSfqV.jpg
  • gendou#6914 gendou Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    flash525 wrote: »
    ...Suliban for the Republic?
    This. I've been saving a slot for my eventual Romulan Engineer, and I wanted him to be Suliban. Please, Cryptic, at least unlock the Suliban Aliengen options again. :(
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    xangen wrote: »
    This. I've been saving a slot for my eventual Romulan Engineer, and I wanted him to be Suliban. Please, Cryptic, at least unlock the Suliban Aliengen options again. :(

I'm probably going Reman KDF, but I need Sulibans on at least three of what will be my five characters.

The fact that it's gonna be a free character slot certainly sweetens this pot I'll say that.

I'll wait for more details. I'd be more inclined if the new character got access to gold rewards like the additional inventory and boff slots. Oh well.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • jodarkriderjodarkrider Member Posts: 2,097 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'd rather see something for the only character I play and care about personally... as I'm not an alt person... but I understand there are people who are, and for them, it may be a good thing... But honestly, I'm a bit torn on this event, as it would also be nice to see some sort of event for our existing characters too.
    [10:20] Your Lunge deals 4798 (2580) Physical Damage(Critical) to Tosk of Borg.

Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator
    "bIghojchugh DaneH, Dumev pagh. bIghojqangbe'chugh, DuQaHlaH pagh."
    "Learn lots. Don't judge. Laugh for no reason. Be nice. Seek happiness." ~Day[9] 
    "Your fun isn't wrong." ~LaughingTrendy

Find me on Twitterverse - @jodarkrider

• jorantomalakjorantomalak Member Posts: 7,133 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Idk if anyone has said it so i will

I think the end of STO is in sight now cannot keep ignoring the 800 pound gorilla in the room
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    shevet wrote: »
    Well, personally I'm going to see how this pans out - wait until more information becomes available before I start screaming one way or the other.

Free character slot is all very well... but the effort involved in levelling up (and, more significantly, outfitting) alts has increased a lot since Delta Rising went live, and an event where participation effectively requires us to make a new alt... um. Might be interesting, but finding the time to participate could be a problem. Unless I'm prepared to leave some or all of my existing toons on the back burner, which I'm not sure that I am.

But I will wait and see.

Tell me. Barring fleet and rep gear, how has the cost increased? You can craft all the gear a new toon would need if you have your R&D all set for all schools. By now, someone doing it daily, even on a single toon, could have all their schools at level 15.
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,450 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    At least for now... I see no reason to make another character specifically for this event. I have 40 chars so far and have not seen any real any incentive that entices me enough to make another one and do the level and rep grinds on yet another character.

IMO, this would have been a much better idea if we could use our existing characters for this event instead of making new ones, just to get whatever paltry rewards we may be getting. If this event extended to Episode Replays on current characters, I'd probably participate.

As it stands though... No thank you.
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Well, I've been toying with the idea of making a new character on and off lately so I might as well try this.

But I'm not sure about this new character's future though, DR cut my list of toons from 12 to 6 and honestly only 2 of those I'm actually seriously fully playing. The other "main" ones get a bit of work done now and then when I get time for it.

But to add another character? Hmm. Iffy.
  • wayofderawayofdera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Cryptic,

So, players who have spent time grinding up there characters, since the beginning of STO, get the shaft doubly, by allowing new characters to advance more quickly, and needing a new character to get the new parks.:confused: I have close to 20 characters already, I really do not feel like bringing another one up.

This is really the worst idea yet, for experienced players. I applaud the effort for those new to the game, but experienced players should just get the perk for all of their characters, as a reward for staying with the game, rather than needing to play through the ranks, yet again.:eek:

The more and more I see the direction of this game, the more I feel drawn to check out another galaxy far, far away, or even Space Citizen.
  • elric071elric071 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I have been playing a lot of D3 and this sounds very much like a "Seasonal Hero" from that game. I have had a bunch of fun with the Seasons over in that game because I haven't been able to muster the ambition to log into this game. It became too much of a grind for me on my upper level characters. This gives me the perfect opportunity to create a new character and have fun again like it did when I started playing this game 2 weeks after launch.

I know a lot of players will see this as a grind, but I look at it as an opportunity to replay from start the game I loved until DR. I will give this a shot, most definitely :)

Just my take, hopefully I am not disappointed....

Qapla'!
    Illigitimi Non Carborundum

Co-Founder of TOS Veterans and TOS Qan Mang
  • bryliggbryligg Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    There is exactly one way I would embrace this: If "Bound to Character" ceased to exist and "Bound to Account" replaced it in all instances.
  • sch3ff3lsch3ff3l Member Posts: 118 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    9gagger, starfleet captain, bug hunter...

spocked thumb face...
  • dessniperdessniper Member Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    And fast forward 3 months....."You can now upgrade your old toons to the new Delta Toons standard for only 5000 Zen per toon."
  • diadochidiadochi Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    When I read this in the news I gave out an all-mighty groan.

Having just created a new character a few months ago, I certainly don't want a new one despite the free slot. My problem is exhaustion. With a newish character, the Bree ship, 5th anniversary and now the crystalline entity I am feeling exhausted. The game is becoming more and more a time black-hole, with no escape in sight.

With each extra character there is more grind to be done to keep up with the numerous events, to keep current.

Because I'm not sure about the future I want to keep each of my characters competitive just in case, so thats extra work.

Having to level up another character for special bonuses is not welcome news.

It is like virtually-having an extra mouth to feed, with having to work more hours to keep the virtual family going.

I appreciate the desire to bring in new players, but side-lining old characters, such as mains which by their nature are a player's favourite is bad.

Want I want is to play the content with my new 2 month-old main character, and keep my current alts ticking over, not have a new character creation choice thrust upon me by events.

I think we players are now stuck between levelling an unwanted extra character just so our accounts remain up to date, or focusing on our main and current alts and thus losing out. It's a bad position to put players in. You're giving as us a bad choice – accept the new character option or see your account become obsolete.

It's an unpleasant dilemma that players in a Computer Game shouldn't have to face.
  • crimsonlenacrimsonlena Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    So basically the two new characters (Fed and KDF) i created a few months ago and leveled to Commander I should delete and remake?

Its a shame they dont retroactively make anyone Captain Rank or lower a Delta Recruit.
  • freakiumfreakium Member Posts: 439 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Although there's a lot of hate for this next event, I'm all for making a new character. They're adding a free character slot for everyone anyway so I won't need to pay them for extra slots.

Best case scenario, I'll finally have another KDF toon to play around with instead of my current 1.
    Worst case scenario, I get all the perks the event has to offer for my current alts and leave my new toon in the backburner, which isn't all that bad.

Either way, I will have new perks on my main toons that I wouldn't have had before. Besides, it only took me about 3 weeks playing for an hour or 2 each day to level up my most recent toon. This event will be going for about 2 monthes which is plenty of time to get the new perks.

I personally haven't played the KDF main story since my first and only KDF toon blazed through it starting at level 20 several years back so I see this as a win-win. Even if I end up ditching said character, as I said earlier, the perks unlocked for my main toons will be worth it.
    m12Pkoj.png