test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tribble Maintenance and Release Notes - March 6, 2015

coldsnappedcoldsnapped Member Posts: 520 Cryptic Developer
Tribble is being brought down for maintenance to update it to build ST.50.20150214a.6.

General:
  • Resolved an issue where some people with Microsoft XP OS were experiencing crashes.
  • Resolved an issue where other players would spawn together in the same tutorial map.

Sector Space Revamp:
  • Resolved an issue where the camera would be too far above or inside of some ships while in Sector Space.
  • Resolved an issue where some ships were scaling too large in Sector Space.
  • Music in Sector Space plays more naturally when flying through different zones.
    • The music was either not playing in some areas or cutting off abruptly.
  • Sector Space Delta Quadrant Patrols “Enemies in all the Usual Places”: Resolved an issue where players could not hail the Kobali Captain in certain parts of the Delta Quadrant.
  • Romulan Episode “Voice of the Voiceless”:
    • Resolved an issue where it was unclear where players had to go for the mission.
    • The Transwarp for this mission should now take players into the Neutral Zone of the Beta Quadrant.
  • Klingon Episode “Friend or Foe”:
    • Resolved an issue where going to the Beta Quadrant did not complete the first step of the mission.
    • Resolved an issue where players could not progress after completing a task in the Vorn System.
  • Romulan Republic Episodes: Resolved an issue in “Search for New Romulus” and “Turning Point” where the Transwarp option was not available or not working.
    • Added a feature for both missions where the mission Transwarp will take players to the specific system for each mission step.
    • Previously, the mission would always try to send players to the first system on the map.
  • Romulan Republic Episode: Resolved an issue in “Bigger Picture” where the mission wouldn't complete if players were already in the Beta Quadrant.
    • Added Transwarp options in the mission to go to Mempa and Donatu while players are on the mission step to go there.
  • Klingon Episode “Alpha”: Resolved an issue where players transwarping to Orith would end up in the sun.
  • Deep Space Encounters:
    • Resolved an issue where Klingons could not attack other Klingon NPC's in a Deep Space Encounter.
    • Players can click on a deep space encounter icon to fly to it.
    • Active Deep Space Encounters will now appear on the System List.
    • Players can search the System List to see if there are any active Deep Space Encounters on the map, in addition to looking at the map
    • Removed the old Deep Space Encounters from the Alpha Quadrant.
  • Federation Episode “Stranded in Space” no longer costs EC to Transwarp to.
  • Resolved an issue where two buttons were appearing to disable Astrometrics in the Neutral Zone.
  • Secrets of Nimbus: Resolved an issue where players could only fly their ship to Nimbus with the transwarp option and were not being given the option to Transwarp to it.
  • Resolved an issue in the following episodes where there was no transwarp option available:
    • Heading Out
    • Dragon's Deceit
    • Report to Gamma Orionis
    • The Vault
  • Updates were made to the Galaxy Map:
    • The Khazon Cluster has been added.
    • Added unique icons for Vulcan and Romulus systems.
    • The Rolor Nebula has had its icon updated to indicate it is a Duty Officer Exploration Cluster.
  • Removed text references to the old format of Sector Space.

Known Issues:
  • Sector Space Revamp is not in a final state.
    • Numerous transwarps from missions do not place the player in the correct location.
  • Some items are missing for missions and in player inventory.
    • These items will be returned once the issue is resolved.
  • Foundry is not available at this time.
Post edited by coldsnapped on

Comments

• zeuxidemus001zeuxidemus001 Member Posts: 3,357 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Oh man I almost forgot about those DSE's its just been so long that the KDF couldn't troll feds in that manner in a long long time lol. I remember the days where DSE's would just pull ppl in so you would have feds without any way to get away from them where you could use the varanus because its only purpose was to kill those allied npc ships and if the feddie players had that faw stuff going you could attack them back lol. I would love it DSE's did that again just to be able to troll them again lol.
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    What will happen to the not completed DSE accolades when those are gone?
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • bberge1701bberge1701 Member Posts: 726 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    • Romulan Republic Episodes: Resolved an issue in “Search for New Romulus” and “Turning Point” where the Transwarp option was not available or not working.
      • Added a feature for both missions where the mission Transwarp will take players to the specific system for each mission step.
      • Previously, the mission would always try to send players to the first system on the map.

As far as I know, any mission that involves multiple locations always takes you to the first location. Is this a systemic change that will fix this for all missions, or does it need to be addressed on a per-mission basis?
  • tuskin67tuskin67 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    • Added unique icons for Vulcan and Romulus systems.

oooh neat, any plans of adding Unique Icon for Andoria as well?
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Resolved an issue where some people with Microsoft XP OS were experiencing crashes.

And people are still using Windows XP? Isn't it about 14 years old now? I remember when I used the beta back in my college days.
  • gofasternowgofasternow Member Posts: 1,390 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    And people are still using Windows XP? Isn't it about 14 years old now? I remember when I used the beta back in my college days.

Some people just refused to upgrade to Vista, 7 or 8/8.1
    edited March 2015
    Some people just refused to upgrade to Vista, 7 or 8/8.1

Which is silly because all of those work fine.
  • frtoasterfrtoaster Member Posts: 3,352 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The commands "/showfps 1" and "showCamPos 1" are broken.

EDIT: There are multiple problems with zoom. See the thread below for details.

Technical details regarding problems with zoom
    Waiting for a programmer ...
    qVpg1km.png
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    tuskin67 wrote: »

Vista is unstable junk. From 7 onwards they're all good even if the 8/8.1 interface isn't the best.
  • leethorogoodleethorogood Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    The Khazon Cluster has been added.
    Do you mean the Khazan Cluster? :rolleyes:
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Maybe those pesky Caribbean-Clingons finally got to the Beta Quadrant?

And are trying to take over... by hiding.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • amosov78amosov78 Member Posts: 1,495 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Good news is it's spelt correctly on Tribble.
    U.S.S. Endeavour NCC-71895 - Nebula-class
    Commanding Officer: Captain Pyotr Ramonovich Amosov
    Dedication Plaque: "Nil Intentatum Reliquit"
  • arrmateysarrmateys Member Posts: 466 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    people hate change, especially when that change makes everything convoluted, different and makes them feel lost. win7 looks and works too differently from xp which is off putting for many people, especially those who use a pc for more than google chrome to browse the net and steam for games.

i didn't switch over to 7 until one day i got a new pc and xp refused to install on it, since its drivers were so old they blue screened every time during installation.

it took me a while to configure it back so for the most part it looks like xp did, complete with old style start menu, taskbar, right click menus and other things.
    Now clowns, that's another story. They scare the cr​ap out of me.
    We fight them too. Entire armies spilling out of Volkswagens.
    We do our best to fight them off, but they keep sending them in.
  • mrlizardomrlizardo Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    These patch notes look good. The revamp is pretty dramaticcompared to Sector Space on Holodeck. DOFF missions getting any treatment in this?
    sarkasmo_by_spacepope13-d9rcbjs.jpg

"You seem to have gotten some of your blood in my raktajino. This is unfortunate."
  • kimmymkimmym Member Posts: 1,317 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'm mostly a Linux user, but Vista onwards was many times more stable than XP ever was.

People just never forgave Vista for the interface changes, and many people tried to shoehorn Vista onto machines that didn't have the horsepower to run it.

Since Vista, I have only had to re install Windows for version changes.
    I once again match my character. Behold the power of PINK!
    kimmym_5664.jpg
    Fleet Admiral Space Orphidian Possiblities Wizard
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,434 Community Moderator
    edited March 2015
    The joke in my old computer class was that Windows 7 was what Vista should have been. Windows 8... was apparently clunky for non touchscreen systems. And because Vista wasn't as stable, XP's lifespan was extended because everyone loved it.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • captaind3captaind3 Member Posts: 2,449 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    mrlizardo wrote: »
    These patch notes look good. The revamp is pretty dramaticcompared to Sector Space on Holodeck. DOFF missions getting any treatment in this?

I certainly hope so. The first phase has seen doff missions looking pretty sparse in space. But this is the beta period.
    tumblr_mr1jc2hq2T1rzu2xzo9_r1_400.gif
    "Rise like Lions after slumber, In unvanquishable number, Shake your chains to earth like dew, Which in sleep had fallen on you-Ye are many — they are few"
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    arrmateys wrote: »
    people hate change, especially when that change makes everything convoluted, different and makes them feel lost. win7 looks and works too differently from xp which is off putting for many people, especially those who use a pc for more than google chrome to browse the net and steam for games.

i didn't switch over to 7 until one day i got a new pc and xp refused to install on it, since its drivers were so old they blue screened every time during installation.

it took me a while to configure it back so for the most part it looks like xp did, complete with old style start menu, taskbar, right click menus and other things.

vista is the upgrade to NT, it was never built for gaming at all, windows 8 was the upgrade to vista, it clearly didnt work as microsoft had hoped with that upgrade to .1. window 7s upgrade is apparently windows 10 because of directx 12, lot of information and rumors floating around about dx12, specifically the traditional software limitations of all the previous versions has been eliminated and is able to run a lot faster and alot more smoother, even on the most demanding games and the amd/ati and nividia cards can work together with both hooked up on the same mobo.

win xp is a solid platform, its akin to the ak47 in the real world, its solid, reliable, it works and its old, it can still keep up in its design. however win xp has hardware limitations built into the software that prevent other games from operating even better when running with the OS. i have had no problems going to windows 7, the next logical step up, as long as it all works, i dont have a problem with it unlike vista, it was complicated, never designed for gaming in mind, it had nothing to do with hard to change, its commonly held that vista stank.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • eristhevortaeristhevorta Member Posts: 1,049 Bug Hunter
    edited March 2015
    Originally Posted by coldsnapped:

The Khazon Cluster has been added.

Will we get any Kazon enemy groups to fight in the Kazon cluster? :)
    "Everything about the Jham'Hadar is lethal!" - Eris
    Original Join Date: January 30th, 2010
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited March 2015

Windows updates cost money. People still using Windows XP are probably also still using an ancient PC, and the chances of them upgrading either the PC or the OS are slim. (And if they'd upgrade the OS, they'd probably lose performance.)

vista is the upgrade to NT, it was never built for gaming at all, windows 8 was the upgrade to vista, it clearly didnt work as microsoft had hoped with that upgrade to .1. window 7s upgrade is apparently windows 10 because of directx 12, lot of information and rumors floating around about dx12, specifically the traditional software limitations of all the previous versions has been eliminated and is able to run a lot faster and alot more smoother, even on the most demanding games and the amd/ati and nividia cards can work together with both hooked up on the same mobo.
    [/QUOTE]
    Vista, 7 and 8 and 10 are all one succession line to Windows XP, which itself was based on Windows NT.
    Vista was just as much "gaming" focused as previous or later Windows.
    Vista did require more computing power and memory, partially thanks to stuff like the new Aero Interface that used more graphical effects than Windows XP had.
    It's biggest problem was really that it was the first Windows with Microsoft's new security model with things like the User Account Control system. Before Vista, many programs were build with the assumption that they would have full adminstrator rights, but Vista no longer gave it to them. That caused a lot of software to "break", basically. But it also meant that the system was by default much more secure.

Windows 7 had it easier - by then, most software had seen updates that made them work without administrator privileges.

Windows 8 was Microsoft's atempt to also capture the tablet market, but its UI was (at least for many) too focused on the touch-interface support and not on the traditional mouse use. But it still brought another host of improvements - for example start-up times for Windows 8 for example are ridiculously fast (Of course, since Windows Vista and 7 there are a lot less reasons to even restart your PC then ever, but if you're a traditional guy like me and like to turn off your computer when you go to bed...).
    Windows 10 is a continuation of Windows 8, improving the UI to support both models - touch and mouse on the outside, and with features like DIrect X12 under the hood.

Windows 10 will apparently also the first Windows where you can upgrade from for free, similar to how Apple is already doing it with Mac OS X.

Before that, a new OS means spending a big sum of money that most people just will never fell worth spending. For private users, Windows was something that came with the PC, the cost hidden away in the total cost of the new machine. Going out to buy a new Windows? That's a rarity.

win xp is a solid platform, its akin to the ak47 in the real world, its solid, reliable, it works and its old, it can still keep up in its design. however win xp has hardware limitations built into the software that prevent other games from operating even better when running with the OS. i have had no problems going to windows 7, the next logical step up, as long as it all works, i dont have a problem with it unlike vista, it was complicated, never designed for gaming in mind, it had nothing to do with hard to change, its commonly held that vista stank.
    Windows XP is quite simply just old and dated. It's not more stable than any later Windowses, and since Microsoft no longer supports it, it means it has also the most security vulnerabilities.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • inferiorityinferiority Member Posts: 4,305 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    vista is the upgrade to NT...

Really? I remember Windows 2000 being the upgrade to NT and that is was supposed to be where the 95/98 line was to merge with it.

It didn't quite work out that way and XP turned out to be what Microsoft told us 2000 would be.

What I like about the upcoming Windows 10 (skipping the would-be-rubbish 9, I see) is that it looks very much like what Windows 8/8.1 should have been. Microsoft are also offering it as a Free Upgrade from Windows 7 and 8/8.1 and this worries me slightly...
    - - - - I n f e r i o r i t y - C o m p l e x - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Everyone has a better name and Youtube Channel than me...  :/
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Vista, 7 and 8 and 10 are all one succession line to Windows XP, which itself was based on Windows NT.
    Vista was just as much "gaming" focused as previous or later Windows.
    Vista did require more computing power and memory, partially thanks to stuff like the new Aero Interface that used more graphical effects than Windows XP had.
    It's biggest problem was really that it was the first Windows with Microsoft's new security model with things like the User Account Control system. Before Vista, many programs were build with the assumption that they would have full adminstrator rights, but Vista no longer gave it to them. That caused a lot of software to "break", basically. But it also meant that the system was by default much more secure.

Windows 7 had it easier - by then, most software had seen updates that made them work without administrator privileges.

Windows 8 was Microsoft's atempt to also capture the tablet market, but its UI was (at least for many) too focused on the touch-interface support and not on the traditional mouse use. But it still brought another host of improvements - for example start-up times for Windows 8 for example are ridiculously fast (Of course, since Windows Vista and 7 there are a lot less reasons to even restart your PC then ever, but if you're a traditional guy like me and like to turn off your computer when you go to bed...).
    Windows 10 is a continuation of Windows 8, improving the UI to support both models - touch and mouse on the outside, and with features like DIrect X12 under the hood.

Windows 10 will apparently also the first Windows where you can upgrade from for free, similar to how Apple is already doing it with Mac OS X.

Before that, a new OS means spending a big sum of money that most people just will never fell worth spending. For private users, Windows was something that came with the PC, the cost hidden away in the total cost of the new machine. Going out to buy a new Windows? That's a rarity.

Windows XP is quite simply just old and dated. It's not more stable than any later Windowses, and since Microsoft no longer supports it, it means it has also the most security vulnerabilities.

old history old issues, like the world wars, just bury them and look forwards, each person had their own opinion on what was. i found vista rubbish for gaming and you clearly dont, thats the end of that.

if windows 10 acts similar to the crud of windows 8 and vista, there is no chance i will buy it. but if it is the logical upgrade to 7 like 7 was to xp, then i will go for it.
    Really? I remember Windows 2000 being the upgrade to NT and that is was supposed to be where the 95/98 line was to merge with it.

2000 sank quickly, it wasnt really an upgrade at all, it was like 98 pretending to be something different and back then NT was the norm for schools and businesses before xp came along. nt wasnt exactly friendly to gamers either.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Resolved an issue where some people with Microsoft XP OS were experiencing crashes.
    Huh? People STILL use XP?
    I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
    My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
    Click here to view my DeviantArt.
  • mrlizardomrlizardo Member Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lindaleff wrote: »
    Huh? People STILL use XP?

XP is still huge in China. And some southern US areas.
    sarkasmo_by_spacepope13-d9rcbjs.jpg

"You seem to have gotten some of your blood in my raktajino. This is unfortunate."
  • kagasenseikagasensei Member Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    edited March 2015
    if windows 10 acts similar to the crud of windows 8 and vista, there is no chance i will buy it. but if it is the logical upgrade to 7 like 7 was to xp, then i will go for it.

Windows 8.1 is fine, I switched to it when it came out from 7 and have had no problems with it what so ever.

And if this is about "Start Menu" Windows 10 is bringing one that is the same style as the old ones. (which was suppose to be in a 8.1 update, not sure what happened there)

IIRC Windows 10 will be free for Windows 7 and 8 users for the first year of release.

People I know using the preview build says its great even this far before full release.
  • josephdridgewayjosephdridgeway Member Posts: 517 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    After this Tribble patch, I can't log in on Tribble. Something in this Tribble patch has made the Tribble server into a huge resource hog, causing the Tribble server to use tremendous amounts of memory.
    Fleet Admiral Joseph D. Ridgeway
    The Armada
    Original join date: Feb 5, 2010
    Twitter: @davejl_99, & @STO_BBArmada
  • st3a1th2st3a1th2 Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Suns still look like TRIBBLE, just looks like an orrange circle, the texture and lighting affect we see on the sun's in holodeck are much better. I hope they change this as it makes it feel a step backwards inseatd of forwards
  • jarenriccarjarenriccar Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    st3a1th2 wrote: »
    Suns still look like TRIBBLE, just looks like an orrange circle, the texture and lighting affect we see on the sun's in holodeck are much better. I hope they change this as it makes it feel a step backwards inseatd of forwards

I agreed with you until i looked close at the textures on the Holodeck suns. they are not anywhere near quality enough to be used in bigger size. however i do still agree that the suns need better textures, though not at the expence of massive amounts of graphics lag, so its a balance.
    i think the main issue is they need some dark spots on them as well as bright.

I.E. like this http://www.3d-hdwallpaper.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/Attractive-Desktop-Sun-Wallpaper-Download.jpg

Edit: also, i Dont know about you, but last time I looked, TRIBBLE is brown, not orange. if thats not the case for you, you should probably ditch the Fiestaware plates at dinner. :P

http://chemistry.about.com/od/nuclearchemistry/fl/How-Radioactive-Is-Fiesta-Ware.htm
    27507930894_3855d74146_o.jpg

• rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    lol so much misinfo about Windows OS's here.

NT's branch is still present as the Server based OS's, but the codebase was merged with the Win 98 branch to make Win 2000 and subsequently the more user friendly Win XP. XP was an unstable crapfight to deal with most of the time, it's just those lovely rose tinted glasses that have people remembering it fondly. However when you got down to the details, if you wanted to optimise performance you needed to spend a day changing obscure settings all over the show to really get the OS to sing.

Vista was just a step in the wrong direction. If you had enough RAM and a powerful enough CPU then it ran fine, but anything mid-range or below and it turned to TRIBBLE mostly due to memory management issues. These were later fixed in a service pack well after most had moved on to Win 7. It was not and never will be the spiritual successor to NT or 2K. It was just the next branch of the codebase, which it shared with Server 2008 at the time. The issues were so great that Server 2008 R2 (release 2) was eventually released to step away from the originals bad image.

Win 7 was a gaming godsend. Great memory management compared to Vista and it could run smoothly on older hardware as well as new. Far more stable and reliable than XP though Vista was actually more secure until Service Pack 1 dropped. The reliability for both Vista and 7 mostly stemmed from the lack of hardware Audio support native to the OS (ASIC would later re-add this as a 3rd party program). Most of Win XP's crashes (over 30%) were due to failures in the Sound Drivers, so cutting that improved stability at the cost of hardware accelerated Audio. The other good bit about 7 was DX11 which did away with the faux update of DX10 which shipped with Vista. I should also mention it didn't need the fiddling that XP did to get the best performance, though there were tweaks, they didn't result in 20-50% performance gains like with XP.

Win 8 was and still is garbage. The UI was bad to start, but the underlying support for drivers was non-existent, making 3rd party installs a nightmare. Eventually though 8.1 was released and with it the same issues of XP reared their head again. You really need to spend about 2-5hrs setting up the OS again, it's not easily usable out of the box, especially if copying old folders across or changing ownership of Folders on storage drives. Windows seems to want people to spend hours retaking ownership, instead of working out that the User ID's are the same. Especially annoying transferring stuff to and from the Appdata folders for users. The good however is the re-addition of hardware acceleration for Audio, which this time is hybridised so if there's a hardware failure or issue it can just emulate through the CPU like with Win 7. Best part of the upgrade is a good sound card to appreciate it!

Win 10 looks to solve a lot of the bad issues with 8, however I'm yet to see anything revolutionary about it. It's more of a small step with a cached start up (introduced in Win 8 for fast loading into the OS) rather than the giant leap that Redmond suggest. I reserve judgement on it until release, but it's looking like it'll knock off Win 8.1 nicely.
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."