test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What movies would your captains watch?

theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Ten Forward
What 5 movies from late 20th/early 21st century movies would your captains watch and why?

my list

1) Fury, it's one of the few movies to accurately portray WW2 Tank combat as well as the fact it looks at the psychology of a long serving tank crew.

2) The original Dawn of the Dead, it's a classic

3) Aliens the directors cut, awesome action movie with excellent characters

4) The Battle of Britain, a classic movie in it's own right with period authentic aircraft, a very good portrayal of WW2 air combat

5) Crimson Tide, excellent movie with an excellent battle of morals and ethics between the captain and XO
NMXb2ph.png
    "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
    -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    Post edited by theraven2378 on

Comments

• Options
      virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      1) The Poseidon Adventure (1972)
      2) Blade Runner (1982)
      3) Unforgiven (1992)
      4) Equilibrium (2002)
      5) Cockneys vs. Zombies (2012)

The why is somewhat hard to explain, but there is an overall philosophical journey to be found in those five movies...that imho...would prepare a captain to boldly go forth into the reaches of space.
    • Options
      starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      Eleya's nuts about Earth sci-fi. Her bedroom wall has posters for The Fifth Element and Mass Effect, for Pete's sake.

For some reason I think Braveheart might strike a bit of a chord with Morgan.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    • Options
      steamwrightsteamwright Member Posts: 2,820
      edited March 2015
      As my Fed captain's name implies (Gordon Rodgers), he's nuts about 1930-1950s serial sci-fi, Pulp works of the time, and related, like dieselpunk. So...

1. Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow
      2. The Shadow
      3. The Phantom
      4. The Rocketeer
      5. Captain America: The First Avenger

option: D.ick Tracy, and if they ever get to making it in our lifetime, He'd probably grab the Doc Savage film as well.

What's not on the viewing schedule is The Green Hornet. Although Capt. Rodgers loves the Green Hornet and Kato, this was not worthy of the title.
    • Options
      xigbargxigbarg Member Posts: 0 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      My captain is an Asian man who fancy the Brits.

1: Imperium: Augustus.

2: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

3: Tied between Dr. No and Goldfinger and The World Is Not Enough.

4: Wallace & Gromit: The Best of Aardman Animation

5: Thunderbird 6
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    • Options
      sander233sander233 Member Posts: 3,992 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      Jesu LaRoca's vintage film library is known to include:
      - Jaws
      - Star Wars ("Whaddaya mean, 'what episode?'")
      - Blade Runner
      - Terminator 2: Judgment Day

He or his father Carlos also have in their collections Walt Disney's Pinocchio and Red Dawn.

Extrapolating from that, Jesu's known love of "early" sci-fi and other personality traits, I think his favorite movies would be:
      1. Jaws
      2. District 9
      3. First Blood
      4. The Matrix
      5. Disney's Meet the Robinsons
      16d89073-5444-45ad-9053-45434ac9498f.png~original

...Oh, baby, you know, I've really got to leave you / Oh, I can hear it callin 'me / I said don't you hear it callin' me the way it used to do?...
      - Anne Bredon
    • Options
      mjarbarmjarbar Member Posts: 2,084 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      Being a cat he would probably watch programs like Life On Earth with David Attenborough instead of movies, purly because it would be the equivalent of a human watching something like Gordon Ramsey or Man v's Food!

Films like the Lion King would not figure at all in my case, S'ttel would think it unrealistic and a waste of time.
      hZbIdbh.jpg
      THANK YOU FOUNDRY - YOUR CONTENT GAVE ME MANY HAPPY HOURS
      Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
    • Options
      lindalefflindaleff Member Posts: 3,734 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      Personally, I love watching movies with guns and explosions. So that is what my characters would end up watching too. When in doubt, C4! :D
      My Gorn
      A Gorn would probably be transfixed by anything shiny, with flashing pretty colours. A lava lamp would probably provide a Gorn with countless days of entertainment. :rolleyes:
      mjarbar wrote: »
      Films like the Lion King would not figure at all in my case, S'ttel would think it unrealistic and a waste of time.
      And he is correct, on both counts.
      I completed a 2-man CSE, ISE, and KASE, Optionals included. And I soloed Winter Invasion.
      My Ship Builds: USS Conqueror, HMS Victorious, HMS Concord, ISS Queen Elizabeth, Black Widow III
      Click here to view my DeviantArt.
    • Options
      thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      Crell's list. Please note these are all much better when viewed with the original tlh'Ingan sound tracks and audio. :P

1) The Killer Angels
      2) Iron Cross
      3) Glory
      4) Damn the Defiant (Best film Sir Alec Guiness was ever in.)
      5) Das Boot
      6) Master and Commander on the Far Side of the World
      7) Galaxy Quest (C'mon! Who doesn't like the best Star Trek send up ever?)
      8) 300
      9) Yellow Submarine (C'mon! Who doesn't appreciate at least some of the Beatles' work?)
      10) American Gothic
      A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    • Options
      cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      All nine of my Captains would watch : Snakes on a plane.
      Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
      95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
    • Options
      alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      I doubt Makepeace would watch many movies on his own, but he might have a movie night on the Aurora like they had in Enterprise, with a similar selection. I might also expect his bridge officers would get him to watch things with them now and then.

On his own time, I can see him watching nature documentaries for obscure planets.
    • Options
      lessley00lessley00 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      V'Mar would watch a meditation candle burn, the viewscreen, logs, and what he saw on the back of his eyes

R'Tath would watch Braveheart and other Mel Gibson films with his brother Hanril and his two sisters Anitra and Tiva'raau

Shanara would watch Game of Thrones, Deadwood, and other stupid dark movies and shows whith lots of glorious battles and people dying in gory ways
      Captain Joseph Riker, U.S.S. Odyssey==General V'Mar, U.S.S. Blackwater-A==Admiral Laura Holmes, U.S.S. Forward Unto Dawn
      Grand Master Thotok, son of Koloth, I.K.S. Sompek==Dahar Master Shanara, I.K.S. Balth'Quv

Admiral R'Tath V'Tirex, R.R.W. Dhael Glohha'enh==Commander Ta'eth Korval, R.R.W Hachae ch'Rhian==Admiral Vranuk, R.R.W Delevhas
    • Options
      gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      Alyosha likes concert videos the most, be they 2D or 3D, though nothing takes the place of going to a live venue. In fact, I don't know when it will happen, but I happen to know the next place he intends to go in shore leave is a trip to Memphis and Nashville, to see concerts. His idea of a vacation: "Who's touring?"

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
      Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    • Options
      markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
      edited March 2015
      Well, 7 of 13 likes historical stuff so he'd probably like Terminator. :P
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    • Options
      xungnguyenxungnguyen Member Posts: 233 Arc User
      Sapph's a fan of fantasy films so she'll watch TLK, TLK2, GoT, Wolf Children, HTTYD, etc.
      temporal_lapras__royal_flagship__by_lapry101-dbutq96.png

"Simba, you have forgotten me. You have forgotten who you are … you are my son and the one true king." (Mufasa)
    • Options
      arkle#8984 arkle Member Posts: 78 Arc User
      I'm reminded of a bit I submitted to an Incorrect Quotes blog for Discovery.

Lorca: Well, time for my movie selection.
      Tilly: It’s not gonna be “Caligula” again is it? ‘Cause I’m almost 30 and I still felt like I needed an adult after that.
      Lorca: No, no, no, no. I learned my lesson after that one. It’s gonna be “Salo.”
      Burnham: [defeated groan]

Would anyone be shocked if they made it canon that Lorca was into exploitation cinema? ;)
      Characters: Rida Vodad (Trill), Niana (Orion), Karak'Son (Jem'Hadar), Jhanel Aphram (Andorian), Tevana (Romulan), Anahera Ngata (Human), Choadesh (Alien), Manek (Reman), C'Reta (Ferrasan), Kamak'Zun (Jem'Hedar), Joyal Krin (Cardassian), and Lur'Ast (Klingon).
      Tumblr: thehumanarkle.tumblr.com
      Twitter: @G33kOfAllTrades
      YouTube: youtube.com/user/arklestudios
      AO3 Pseudonym: ZeusParker
    • Options
      @starswordc Please can you close this. People are necro-ing this thread
      NMXb2ph.png
        "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      • Options
        rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
        Krystal Jade would enjoy Godzilla movies.
        db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
        I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
        The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
      • Options
        markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
        Emani would think Cyberpunk was quaint and wonder why the Feds didn't go that way.
        -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
        My character Tsin'xing
        Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
      • Options
        [Mod Hat] Eh, it's a forum game, don't worry about it. [/Mod Hat]
        "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
        — Sabaton, "Great War"
        VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
        I'll update the list,
        Starship Troopers (the first movie, I tend to ignore the rest)
        30 Days of Night (great Vampire movie)
        The Italian Job (the 1969 movie, it's a great heist movie)
        Die Hard (the first three movies)
        The Expendables (the first two movies, they are just old school awesome)
        NMXb2ph.png
        • Options
          talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
          Mine would watch:
          Blade Runner, both
          Super man 1 and 2(origional)
          Starship Troopers
          Ghost Busters
          Back to the Future
          Aliens
          James Bond
          Gundam
          Mission Impossible
          And the list goes on.
          afMSv4g.jpg
          Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
        • Options
          talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
          > @azrael605 said:
          > > @talonxv said:
          > > Mine would watch:
          > > Blade Runner, both
          > > Super man 1 and 2(origional)
          > > Starship Troopers
          > > Ghost Busters
          > > Back to the Future
          > > Aliens
          > > James Bond
          > > Gundam
          > > Mission Impossible
          > > And the list goes on.
          >
          > Starship Troopers isn't worth the plastic the dvds are made of and its an insult to Robert Heinlein.

Ok let me clarify. I meant Starship Troopers invasion and traitor of mars. Which I find decent movies able to do the things live action couldnt.

But on a different note now I see I have an STO stalker/troll. Goodie.
          afMSv4g.jpg
          Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
        • Options
          It's a guilty pleasure movie, still it's a fun one
          NMXb2ph.png
          • Options
            edited July 2018
            azrael605 wrote: »
            You have nothing of the kind, I have every right to respond to any thread I want and any post I want. I w9uld have made that comment about the abomination Verhoven made no matter who mentioned Starship Troopers, and I have many times before on these forums.

Paul Verhoeven made the movie he did because he read the book after getting the job (which started as an unrelated "bug war" script, but somebody in the legal department figured it was too close for comfort and told them to get a license for the novel). What he saw in the book reminded him unpleasantly of his childhood in the German-occupied Netherlands during World War II, e.g. worship of militarism and repression of fundamental civil rights (like the right to vote). So he deliberately satirized it, just like he satirized consumerism and corporate America in Robocop.

I respect Heinlein as an author and I enjoy many of his books (Space Cadet was quite good). That does not mean I'm a fan of everything he ever came up with. Starship Troopers is okay as a work of military science fiction, but it fails hard at social science fiction.
            — Sabaton, "Great War"
            VZ9ASdg.png