What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Omega Minigame Changes Feb 5th

Comments

• Options
    ovrkylovrkyl Member Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hey guys. We'd like to put an end to speculation over this, and instead let players just kick back and enjoy the Anniversary event, so we're going to do our best to explain today's changes to the Mini-Game. Hopefully it will set everyone's minds at ease.
    (Not wanting to waste the space with the rest of the quote. We know what it says.)
    Thank you for the information. Very informative.
    However it is still bugged in the sense of ending prematurely and lag/rubberbanding is still a factor.
    This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.
  • Options
    alexvio1alexvio1 Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My results after the patch:
    Total mini-games - 84
    Interrupted - 15
    Commons received - 220
    Uncommons received - 70
    Shards received - 1
    Frags received - 1
  • Options
    rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    okay,
    I can accept the fact that the percentages were 'adjusted' and I can live with the changes. We just get more 'lower end' items so we have to spend more time crafting them up.

But what I really have a problem with is the inability to craft multiple items.

if its a unintended bug, then where is the hotfix?
    are we going to have to wait until next Thursday for this to be addressed?
    the event is only so long and those Upgrades take forever to craft ;)
  • Options
    leceterleceter Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    Not working. You must have forget to add it, or the chance is far too low.

0 shards/frag in ~30minigames. 2000score minimum, up to 2600.

^ Confirm! the chance is either 0 or must be low as hell.
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hey guys. We'd like to put an end to speculation over this, and instead let players just kick back and enjoy the Anniversary event, so we're going to do our best to explain today's changes to the Mini-Game. Hopefully it will set everyone's minds at ease.

When the Omega Stabilization Mini-Game went live, we began to notice a few design shortcomings in the reward structure:
    - Many players were opening the game, and not interacting with it, having come to believe that their performance in the mini-game was detached from the random rewards.
    - Earning a high score in the Mini-Game did not guarantee any sort of increase in rewards.

Today’s patch was intended to solve both of the above issues, by changing the reward structure so that earning a higher score now guarantees better rewards, making engagement in the game mean something that is easily verifiable, and always worthwhile.

The old scoring/reward system was built around random chance that gradually increased in score. But it still meant that even when earning a Perfect Score (2600) there was still a decent chance of receiving nothing more than a single Common Material.

Here is the new reward structure, based on Score, as they stand after today’s patch:

0-850 = 1 Common
    851-1300 = 2 Common
    1301-1700 = 3 Common
    1701-2000 = 1 Uncommon + 1 Common
    2001-2300 = 1 Uncommon + 2 Common
    2301+ = 1 Uncommon + 3 Common

In addition to the above guaranteed rewards, scoring anywhere above 1301 grants you an additional small chance to receive a Rare or Very Rare Material.

(All Common Traces received in all of the above rewards will match the color of the node interacted with.)

Thank you for these improvements to the game reward structure. I felt it was very unrewarding before to try and put too much effort into it, especially when the first time I broke 2k all I got was a trace.
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,172 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    rimmarie wrote: »
    okay,
    I can accept the fact that the percentages were 'adjusted' and I can live with the changes. We just get more 'lower end' items so we have to spend more time crafting them up.

But what I really have a problem with is the inability to craft multiple items.

if its a unintended bug, then where is the hotfix?
    are we going to have to wait until next Thursday for this to be addressed?
    the event is only so long and those Upgrades take forever to craft ;)

If you look around the dev tracker you can find Bort's post where he says that the ability to craft these will not be going away with the event, just the ability to earn more shards from the mini-game. They also will be taking them out of Science and placing them in their own level-less category similar to Officer Training.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    I think that the chance of getting shards and frags is about 3%. And that chance was much higher before the last patch but in the release notes we see like it was the same:
    A small chance of Rare and Very Rare still exists
  • Options
    parheeparhee Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    alexvio1 wrote: »
    I think that the chance of getting shards and frags is about 3%. And that chance was much higher before the last patch but in the release notes we see like it was the same:

So far I've done about 150 minigames, of which ~130 were 2300+ (~110 2600) (mostly premature endings in the other games), not a single shard or fragment.

Definately not 3%... So far what I've read is that people get them with scores <2000, so if anything the chances of getting them decrease with increasing score...
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited February 2015

When the Omega Stabilization Mini-Game went live, we began to notice a few design shortcomings in the reward structure:
    - Many players were opening the game, and not interacting with it, having come to believe that their performance in the mini-game was detached from the random rewards.
    - Earning a high score in the Mini-Game did not guarantee any sort of increase in rewards.

Today’s patch was intended to solve both of the above issues, by changing the reward structure so that earning a higher score now guarantees better rewards, making engagement in the game mean something that is easily verifiable, and always worthwhile.

The old scoring/reward system was built around random chance that gradually increased in score. But it still meant that even when earning a Perfect Score (2600) there was still a decent chance of receiving nothing more than a single Common Material.

Here is the new reward structure, based on Score, as they stand after today’s patch:

0-850 = 1 Common
    851-1300 = 2 Common
    1301-1700 = 3 Common
    1701-2000 = 1 Uncommon + 1 Common
    2001-2300 = 1 Uncommon + 2 Common
    2301+ = 1 Uncommon + 3 Common

In addition to the above guaranteed rewards, scoring anywhere above 1301 grants you an additional small chance to receive a Rare or Very Rare Material.

(All Common Traces received in all of the above rewards will match the color of the node interacted with.)

Gold is to a T, 100% spot on, although it rewards it backwards at times, meaning 1 silver uncommon + 3 commons, while other times it shows up as 3 commons + 1 silver uncommon, meaning it acts like the 3 commons was your initial reward, while the 1 uncommon was your bonus and, than most of the time it acts like the 1 uncommon was your initial reward, while the 3 commons was your bonus.

I would say, it isn't WAI, at least not how we are told so!

Now with that said, let's move on to the green section shall we?

I score no less than 2k provided there is no interruption from the mini game prematurely stopping, like it does fairly often.

I average 2.2k, with pretty consistent scores of over 2.4k, I get perfect scores of 2.6k very often and, out of literally 300attempts today, I was awarded 2 shards, yes 2 shards and 0 fragments.

This is your idea of a quality improvement?

I was getting shards and fragments decently often before this change, now I don't get any really outside of a ratio no less than uncommons @ 150:1 rare, made even worse by a ration of 150:0 on VR's.

I would say it was made worse in the rare/VR dept., while I am swimming in commons and uncommons now!

Oh and, FYI, I have even tried seeing if dumbing down my score to the 1.3k-1.9k range to see if it made a difference, because people were telling me they were receiving rares and VR's at those scores, didn't seem to change anything for me, other than less commons is all!
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,413 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I can also verify to no longer receiving anything but 3 commons and 1 silver for scores of 2400-2600. Consistently, many times in a row now.

Before, it used to be somewhat 'fun' in obtaining rares and very rares once in a long while. Now it's a steady stream of commons and 1 silver.

So much also for allowing the mini-game to continue after the event ends also.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited February 2015

It was already confirmed that the minigames will no longer be available after the event. It makes sense if you ask me.

The refining projects are staying after the events though.

And for those still not aware, the crafting of multiple items will be fixed hopefully in the next patch. The fix is already on Tribble.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    rsoblivionrsoblivion Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Kinda pointless as it's part of the event, not something that's normally available. I wouldn't want it to continue as it's removing far too many people from playing the damn game. It really is like that addiction game from TNG...
    Chris Robert's on SC:
    "You don't have to do something again and again and again repetitive that doesn't have much challange, that's just a general good gameplay thing."
  • Options
    executiveoneexecutiveone Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I can also verify to no longer receiving anything but 3 commons and 1 silver for scores of 2400-2600. Consistently, many times in a row now.

Before, it used to be somewhat 'fun' in obtaining rares and very rares once in a long while. Now it's a steady stream of commons and 1 silver.

Seconded. I'm basically getting the same outcome every time for my 2,300+ scores, which just exacerbates the grindy feeling.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Well, I de-bunked the whole needing a score of 1301+ for a rare, got a score of 1300 exactly before it prematurely stopped and, it rewarded 1 rare shard + 2 commons!

If I had to put the odds to a figure, I would say it is approximately 0.3% - .99%, for just a rare!

Considering it hasn't dropped ANY VR fragments in over 3hours time, I would give it a probable .003% - .005%, if even that as atm it is for me a 0%!

• Options
    einheryar44einheryar44 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Way to ruin your own minigame, seriously there are some dev shakeups needed in the near future.

So you nerf skill-based rewards, and increase low quality rewards for relatively lower scores, awesome, go right ahead. Really, who thought skill should be a requirement for increased rewards, why not just have each time you play the minigame it costs you a Master Key and have a random loot roll?

But then you use deceitful language to blow sunshine up your playerbase's TRIBBLE that it's better for us now, and that the chance for rares and very rares "still exists" even though you know damned well that you reduced the chance on a perfect score to what, 1:100?

Is an obvious deception still a lie? Hmm, semantics to be honest. Members of your development team are treating your loyal players like TRIBBLE, and to be honest, shakeups are in dire need.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    parhee wrote: »
    Definately not 3%...

Ok, here is my stats for 3 days after the last patch:
    1st day:
    70 games were completed with score over 1300 (almost all had 2400+ score).
    Received 1 shard and 1 frag.
    It's ~2,85%.

2nd day:
    74 games were completed with score over 1300 (almost all had 2400+ score).
    Received 2 shards and 0 frags.
    It's ~2,7%.

3rd day:
    70 games were comleted with score 2400-2600.
    This is another ~2,85%.

Average percent for all 3 days is ~2,8.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    1st day:
    It's ~2,85%.

2nd day:
    It's ~2,7%.

3rd day:
    This is another ~2,85%.

With roughly a 0.3% - 0.5% on VR fragments, based on your #'s.
    2.8% for rares to boot, whilst 100% on uncommons and commons, seems pretty staggering differences!

• Options
    parheeparhee Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    1st day:
    It's ~2,85%.

2nd day:
    It's ~2,7%.

3rd day:
    This is another ~2,85%.

Either you are very lucky then, or I am very unlucky:

yesterday i completed 142 mini games with 2000+, 0 shards, 0 fragments.

so far today ive completed 105, still 0 shards and 0 fragments...
  • Options
    j0hn41j0hn41 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Yesterday I completed 100 games, with a score of 2400 or higher.

At the end I had 300 traces, 100 slivers, 2 shards and 1 fragment.
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Since recent change, have not EVER seen a fragment and, I average a 2300 score now, with 2500-2600 continuously!

Your little mini-game is by far wayyyyyyy to stingy with the rares and, most definitely stingy with the VR's by far!

• Options
    tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Since recent change, have not EVER seen a fragment and, I average a 2300 score now, with 2500-2600 continuously!

Your little mini-game is by far wayyyyyyy to stingy with the rares and, most definitely stingy with the VR's by far!

I'm pretty sure by now that Rares/VRs do not take score into consideration at all.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Since the patch, I've done about 100minigames, all of the well above 2K (and some more that ended up too soon, with a low score, but they are not counted).
    No shards/fragments.

I think the reward rate for those is abysmal, remind me of the gamblebox and the "jackpot" price.

I don't see any point going above 1701, since you'll have the sliver, and anything above is a waste of time now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    leceterleceter Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    erei1 wrote: »
    Since the patch, I've done about 100minigames, all of the well above 2K (and some more that ended up too soon, with a low score, but they are not counted).
    No shards/fragments.

I think the reward rate for those is abysmal, remind me of the gamblebox and the "jackpot" price.

I don't see any point going above 1701, since you'll have the sliver, and anything above is a waste of time now.

i have done much more games scored >2000 and the summed up drop rate is about
    - 3% - 4% for rare
    - 0.3% - 0.4% for very rare

To get your 3 VR fragments for one Omega Upgrade, they have to be about 600-700 high scored games played. Counting 1 min a game, it takes you about 10 hours!

This I call the true pure grind
  • Options
    platewearingbirdplatewearingbird Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    It went from one extreme to the other.

I'd consistently get 2400+, and got mostly shards, with the odd sliver and fragment and the rare trace.

Now shards and fragments are near non existent, with slivers at 100%.

I thought it was too generous before, but now it's ridiculously stingy. I'd expect at least half the chance at a shard on perfect that I had pre-patch, with fragments staying as they were pre-patch.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I was spamming this mini game today playing it about 75 times in the afternoon. I generally get between 1,600 and 2,400 with about 50% above 2,000 and I have not received anything more than silvers.

Last night when simply doing the daily for the 40 Qmendations I did managed to get a fragment with a score of only 1,900.
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Even beyond the fact that is stingy, the current system award the player for... being bad. The only difference between reaching the highest score, and 1701 score (a very average score), is a few traces. Which is more or less trash loot.

Usually, we are being awarded when we are good. With this minigame ? We are awarded for being average. Everything on top of that is wasted.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    gfreeman98gfreeman98 Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I've received up to 3 traces from a single minigame. (I think my highest score was 1500.)
    screenshot_2015-03-01-resize4.png
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    300 mini game runs as of today

with early terminations from mini game itself

Accomplished

0 fragments
    1 shard
    258 silvers
    565 common particles

scores of 1900 - 2600 for testing purposes
    average score normally is 2300
    total 2600 scores = 196

• Options
    edited February 2015
    leceter wrote: »
    This I call the true pure grind

They made rewards much less randomized! It was a grind before and after the last patch.
  • Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Thank you for doing more to increase rewards.

While I've noticed some improvement to game play, every mini-game I play still has issues. Today on Vulcan I completed five games but received no credit at all. Also games still crash.

But more importantly, every mini-game I play skips or moves particles ahead as the particle spawn speed increases, that means it happens three times during each mini-game. This means that I cannot collect particles, even particles in the lane my collector is positioned, as they pass through my it or the entire particle HUD changes changes and I have to reposition my collector to begin to collect again when a shift occurs. All this results in depressed scores, I'm not able to even reap the benefits of these changes, and that is frustrating. I've submitting a few tickets.
    Joined STO in September 2010.