test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Omega Minigame Changes Feb 5th

tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
  • Modified scoring and rewards so that higher scores are guaranteed to grant increased amounts of Common and Uncommon Omega Materials.
  • A small chance of Rare and Very Rare still exists, in addition to these guaranteed rewards.
  • Resolved an issue where the Omega Molecule Stabilization mission would not complete when scanning Omega Particles in Sol System.
  • Resolved an issue where the Omega Molecule Stabilization mission could not be completed due to no Omega Particles appearing in the Bajor System.

I would like clarification on the first item. It tells me that a higher score can award more than one component, common and/or uncommon, in addition to the rare and very rare rolls. So I can get, like, 3 components or so after a single game, provided I get a high score?

This worries me because it's just a little too good to be true (if you know what I mean). Regardless, this will be a great and welcome change for those who are skilled at the minigame.

P.S.: The above patch notes, listed in today's Holodeck Release, are nowhere in Tribble patch notes. Oversight?
U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
STO Screenshot Archive

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    As I read it, at higher scores you'll get more common and uncommon drops, in addition to a single rare or very rare. I just hope they didn't stealth nerf the drop rates of shards and fragments... :rolleyes:
  • suzy32suzy32 Member Posts: 383 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Lets see if this patch works as it suppose to. Or if not we be facing more lag and broken mission cross your finger
  • seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    suzy32 wrote: »
    Lets see if this patch works as it suppose to. Or if not we be facing more lag and broken mission cross your finger

This.

But honestly, as long as it dosen't add a new bug where it dosen't reward at all (wouldn't be surprised, look back at the "tides of ice" debacle) it's an improvement.
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    There is already so much lag and SNRs and outright disconnections nonstop in every facet of this game it is 100% unplayable. I gave up on the omega particle scan after 3 days of BS server lag, stuttering particle progression, MOUSE LAG. OMGWTF! MOUSE LAG! How bad is your net code, Cryptic?!? Why is the mouse even affected by the lag?
  • sernonserculionsernonserculion Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I tend to lose like 400 points to lag on average. It is a bit much. But then again the doors don't animate properly, so it is not unexpected or anything. :P
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,185 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    One of the things I was thinking about last night when reading them is, will we still have the problem with the scan mini-game ending early? And, if it still can, will we get the rewards adjusted to our average ability to do the mini-game, or are we just screwed out of what we could get?
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I wouldn't be surprised if from now on crafting Omega Slivers, Shards, Fragments and Tech Upgrades cost dilithium.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My mouse is insufficiently awesome and lags like heck. So this will not affect me.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    So now that they've fixed the problem, are they adding additional time to the end of the event to compensate for their mistake?
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • tk79tk79 Member Posts: 1,020 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Confirmed. Did a single game, scored 2600, and got awarded 1x Sliver + 3x Traces.
    U.S.S. Eastgate Photo Wall
    STO Screenshot Archive

• borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2015
    Hey guys. We'd like to put an end to speculation over this, and instead let players just kick back and enjoy the Anniversary event, so we're going to do our best to explain today's changes to the Mini-Game. Hopefully it will set everyone's minds at ease.

When the Omega Stabilization Mini-Game went live, we began to notice a few design shortcomings in the reward structure:
    - Many players were opening the game, and not interacting with it, having come to believe that their performance in the mini-game was detached from the random rewards.
    - Earning a high score in the Mini-Game did not guarantee any sort of increase in rewards.

Today’s patch was intended to solve both of the above issues, by changing the reward structure so that earning a higher score now guarantees better rewards, making engagement in the game mean something that is easily verifiable, and always worthwhile.

The old scoring/reward system was built around random chance that gradually increased in score. But it still meant that even when earning a Perfect Score (2600) there was still a decent chance of receiving nothing more than a single Common Material.

Here is the new reward structure, based on Score, as they stand after today’s patch:

0-850 = 1 Common
    851-1300 = 2 Common
    1301-1700 = 3 Common
    1701-2000 = 1 Uncommon + 1 Common
    2001-2300 = 1 Uncommon + 2 Common
    2301+ = 1 Uncommon + 3 Common

In addition to the above guaranteed rewards, scoring anywhere above 1301 grants you an additional small chance to receive a Rare or Very Rare Material.

(All Common Traces received in all of the above rewards will match the color of the node interacted with.)
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    what about the crafting system - the system now won't allow for multiples to be crafted at the same time and is only one at a time?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    In addition to the above guaranteed rewards, scoring anywhere above 1301 grants you an additional small chance to receive a Rare or Very Rare Material.

Hopefully this is the same chance as before? I seem to have better luck than most with the very rares, heh.
  • gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hey guys. We'd like to put an end to speculation over this, and instead let players just kick back and enjoy the Anniversary event, so we're going to do our best to explain today's changes to the Mini-Game. Hopefully it will set everyone's minds at ease.

When the Omega Stabilization Mini-Game went live, we began to notice a few design shortcomings in the reward structure:
    - Many players were opening the game, and not interacting with it, having come to believe that their performance in the mini-game was detached from the random rewards.
    - Earning a high score in the Mini-Game did not guarantee any sort of increase in rewards.

Today’s patch was intended to solve both of the above issues, by changing the reward structure so that earning a higher score now guarantees better rewards, making engagement in the game mean something that is easily verifiable, and always worthwhile.

The old scoring/reward system was built around random chance that gradually increased in score. But it still meant that even when earning a Perfect Score (2600) there was still a decent chance of receiving nothing more than a single Common Material.

Here is the new reward structure, based on Score, as they stand after today’s patch:

0-850 = 1 Common
    851-1300 = 2 Common
    1301-1700 = 3 Common
    1701-2000 = 1 Uncommon + 1 Common
    2001-2300 = 1 Uncommon + 2 Common
    2301+ = 1 Uncommon + 3 Common

(All Common Traces received in all of the above rewards will match the color of the node interacted with.)
    Thanks for the clarification
  • lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited February 2015
    New minigame opinion.

The good:
    Guaranteed slivers and 3 commons (Commons I'll sell. Ain't nobody have time for that!)

The bad:
    Still early end bug
    Now rewards to to inventory instead of R&D tab
    Seems the rare/vr drop rate went down a lot for 2600 scores
    You can't produce fragments/shards in sets of 5 anymore so more grinding
  • rimmarierimmarie Member Posts: 418 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    what about the crafting system - the system now won't allow for multiples to be crafted at the same time and is only one at a time?

This^^

this was like a punch to the face. I hope this wasn't intentional.
    edited February 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    You can't produce fragments/shards in sets of 5 anymore so more grinding

This!

It doesn't mean players will produce fewer techs. They will produce the same amount, but hate doing it (rather than enjoying it). Also their other R&D progress will hit a brick wall.

You guys need to go back to game design 101. These are really basic mistakes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • borticuscrypticborticuscryptic Member Posts: 2,478 Cryptic Developer
    edited February 2015

We're investigating this issue. It appears to only affect the PADD and Omega projects. Other components appear to allow quantity, just as before. It was not an intended change.
    Jeremy Randall
    Cryptic - Lead Systems Designer
    "Play smart!"
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    You guys need to go back to game design 101. These are really basic mistakes.

Hmm? It makes us log in more often. Its not a mistake. :P
    edited February 2015
    We're investigating this issue. It appears to only affect the PADD and Omega projects. Other components appear to allow quantity, just as before. It was not an intended change.

Ok thanks for the response and for your effort into looking into this...

I will try to stop jumping to conclusions, but given all thats happened in the past few months it is hard...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
    edited February 2015
    Hey guys, guess what? Drop rates for shards and fragments got nerfed! Yay!

So far every perfectly scored game netted me 1 sliver and 3 traces. And nothing else. Thanks Cryptic!
  • tonnbarttonnbart Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    :

No, it's quite clear to everyone that scored 2000 and higher consistently, that it was worthwhile. Those players not interacting... either they're watching tv, browsing or simply are bots.
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I will try to stop jumping to conclusions, but given all thats happened in the past few months it is hard...

It's very hard. I can't get ragingly upset about a game like some people, I can be disappointed, though. I'm very disappointed with how poorly information is getting out to us. We can't even trust the official blog anymore. At least the devs like Borticus do a good job of keeping us informed :)
    hypl wrote: »
    Hey guys, guess what? Drop rates for shards and fragments got nerfed! Yay!

So far every perfectly scored game netted me 1 sliver and 3 traces. And nothing else. Thanks Cryptic!

Show your math, please. Slivers were always the most common reward at high scores.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2015

Not working. You must have forget to add it, or the chance is far too low.
    Show your math, please. Slivers were always the most common reward at high scores.
    0 shards/frag in ~30minigames. 2000score minimum, up to 2600.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2015

Before the patch, I've gotten slivers, shards, and fragments with scores between 2400 to 2600. Shards and Fragments weren't as common but I still got them. Now it's just rewarding me with nothing but slivers and traces. NO shards or fragments at all.

EDIT: Okay, after playing about 25 games, I've finally gotten a shard. Before the patch, 25 games would've gotten me at least 4-5 shards and 1-2 fragments at high scores. Still there was a nerf, and this is no longer worthwhile. I've also recorded the last dozen games I played leading up to finally obtaining a shard if anyone wishes to see visual proof.
  • swatopswatop Member Posts: 566 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    confirmed.... there are no shards and fragments anymore
    the next big nerf

**** you cryptic
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hey now, it's clearly a bug in this case. Sheesh. Such harsh reactions. If anything, the laughable state of unplayable lag which permeate the game is worthy of such ire, but a simple drop table bug? Low priorities when you can't even run the mini-game to begin with!
    edited February 2015
    Hey now, it's clearly a bug in this case. Sheesh. Such harsh reactions. If anything, the laughable state of unplayable lag which permeate the game is worthy of such ire, but a simple drop table bug? Low priorities when you can't even run the mini-game to begin with!

I'm still pissed about the lag and random crashing. Doffing and collecting particles are the only damn things I can do without my game TRIBBLE up. Now this minigame is a waste of time. I should sell my fragments before they drop lower in price.
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    hypl wrote: »
    Before the patch, I've gotten slivers, shards, and fragments with scores between 2400 to 2600. Shards and Fragments weren't as common but I still got them. Now it's just rewarding me with nothing but slivers and traces. NO shards or fragments at all.

EDIT: Okay, after playing about 25 games, I've finally gotten a shard. Before the patch, 25 games would've gotten me at least 4-5 shards and 1-2 fragments at high scores. Still there was a nerf, and this is no longer worthwhile. I've also recorded the last dozen games I played leading up to finally obtaining a shard if anyone wishes to see visual proof.
    I believe you.

I've made a bug reports after the patch.

In any case, it's either a nerf, or a bug. But it's not the same ratio as we had pre-patch. By far.

Quite frankly, with such a low chance to have anything but a sliver, I wonder what's the point in going above 1701 point.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • roadghostroadghost Member Posts: 394 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Well the theory sounds good, guaranteed results for better performance. Too bad the the quick timeout bug wasn't fixed. Have tried a couple of games but they timed out after 20 seconds or so, so ended up with about 900 points and a trace. And since the spawn rate of Omega's appears to have been nerfed as well (used to I could go to Wolf359 and find a spot and play for five or ten minutes, same at DS9 when the wave hit.. no more) now you get your one or two shots per map, if they short time on you, well here's your trace, and see you in twenty minutes or so. Kinda seems worse in that aspect.

My fleet was using this as a social thing, get a few people online, spread out between DS9, Drozana and Wolf359, play the games and beam to eachother's ships for trading traces. FYI Reds were going for 2 yellows and 3 blues before downtime.

-Edit: I take back what I said about spawn nerf, looks like it just had to slowly build back up, just did about ten minutes in Wolf 359 of constant gaming... too bad I only got 3 that went the distance, but I did manage to pull some bonuses out of them.... overall think I'll go back to clicking and watching TV. Less annoying when the game cuts off five seconds in.