test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Stealth Expansion

sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1358571

What do you think? So much in there. Some good some bad (bye bye to my full auto weapons :(
ciao bug hunt. But a lot of good stuff too. And so very much of it!
Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015

What do you think? So much in there. Some good some bad (bye bye to my full auto weapons :(

Bug hunt says rewards increased.

Also, yes there's a ton of stuff.

Finally, please people queue for mine trap on Sunday's =)
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Power creep, Advanced queues getting even more DPS-speedrun oriented, the skill system going from 'not perfect' to 'cash grab with even less functionality,' and a couple missions being taken away. Only good I see in there is Divide Et Impera getting mercy-killed and FINALLY getting the Secondary Deflectors. I'm not sure where you see 'a lot of good stuff.'
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Actually its not exactly stealth. They've told us that the new Command spec is coming, along with the Secondary deflectors and other things. Its just landing on the launch of the 5 year anniversary apparently.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I am just wondering what it would be called. It is certainly not Season 10 so DR.5 might work.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Its called the 5 Year Anniversary.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    starkaos wrote: »
    I am just wondering what it would be called. It is certainly not Season 10 so DR.5 might work.

Delta Straggling...

...the stuff that wasn't ready for Delta Rising.
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015

It's more of a stealth season.

DR Service Pack 1 - "New toys and nerfs for everyone"
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,365 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Ah, me poor automatic weapons...

Back to the ol' pulsewave rifles and compression pistols for me, I suppose. :)
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • Options
    vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I think the boff revamp is competition for the dumbest stuff they have done yet.

It's down to DR exp, dil, marks nerf and grinding, upgrading costing millions of dil and missing modifiers.

As always, painful to watch them waste time on breaking more features - taking time away from adding or fixing.

Sad, tragic and miserable
  • Options
    hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The following items can now be upgraded:
    • The Prototype Gravitic Modulation Impulse Engine
    • The Numiri Regenerative Shield Array
    Would be nice if they made a 4-piece set out of these two parts; maybe have it grant a weaker version of the Plasma-adding ability of the Embassy consoles at 2 pieces, a slight plasma torpedo boost at 3 pieces, and a decent special ability at 4-pieces (maybe something unusual; like a Plasma Grav Well or something). Since it's all from the Romulan missions, and plasma is their standard.

Mainly since they're both unique mission-reward items, and there has been precedence with the Solanae set and, to a lesser extent, the Obelisk set. Except this would be a full set, and would actually help the mid-level players before they're able to access any of the major level 50 sets.

Aside from that, most everything else is a general nerf (excluding Secondary Deflectors).

I'm still not going to queue up for those dead queues, and will continue to just play my nerfed queues as they would still be more efficient in time/rewards.

If they wanted me to play other queues, they should have boosted the rewards to make the time and effort worth it; not nerf other queues and hope we'd suck up and play the other queues.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    lucho80 wrote: »
    It's more of a stealth season.

DR Service Pack 1 - "New toys and nerfs for everyone"

Yeah an unexpected season. A really big season too. Remember there is sort of 5 new episodes tomorrow as well, along with the anniversary particle daily. Also major changes to Boffs - new specialization - 2ndary deflectors etc... etc...
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Aside from that, most everything else is a general nerf (excluding Secondary Deflectors).

I'm still not going to queue up for those dead queues, and will continue to just play my nerfed queues as they would still be more efficient in time/rewards.

If they wanted me to play other queues, they should have boosted the rewards to make the time and effort worth it; not nerf other queues and hope we'd suck up and play the other queues.
    I'd ask if you're reading the right patch notes but you quoted some of it.

Foundry top 3, not a Nerf

Power icons, not a Nerf (bit meh though)

General section had three bug fixes and three qol improvements

Systems:
    Exp buffed
    Boss HP increased = players nerfed
    Aegis set buffed
    Full auto bug fixed (not a Nerf, but PCs weaker)
    Rnd buffed
    Intel neutral
    Crafting bug fixes

Ships multiple bug fixes

Queues
    Cure Nerf
    CCA Nerf
    Colony invasion Nerf
    Fleet alert Nerf
    Bug hunt buff (might be typo I thought was getting nerfed)
    Mine trap buff
    Nukara prime buff
    Atmosphere assault double buff
    No win scenario mega Nerf
    Two misc bug fixes and one qol improvement

Foundry whole Lotta bug fixes and improvements

Characters five costume fixes

And yet you summed all that up with "most everything else is a general nerf"?

Most of that is positive. Even on the queues we got 5 nerfs and 4 buffs.
  • Options
    imruinedimruined Member Posts: 1,457 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Power creep, Advanced queues getting even more DPS-speedrun oriented, the skill system going from 'not perfect' to 'cash grab with even less functionality,' and a couple missions being taken away. Only good I see in there is Divide Et Impera getting mercy-killed and FINALLY getting the Secondary Deflectors. I'm not sure where you see 'a lot of good stuff.'

Please explain how the Skill System is becoming a 'cash grab with less functionality'... Are we even looking at the same patch notes?
    The entitlement is strong in these forums...

not_funny_Q_shadows_small.jpg
  • Options
    reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    imruined wrote: »
    Please explain how the Skill System is becoming a 'cash grab with less functionality'... Are we even looking at the same patch notes?

Dil costs to train captain skills, timegating via having to craft the PADDs, certain skills no longer available, and the door opened to things like Fleet, Lockbox, and/or special Crafted skill PADDs.
  • Options
    zeroalexandrazeroalexandra Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Dil costs to train captain skills, timegating via having to craft the PADDs, certain skills no longer available, and the door opened to things like Fleet, Lockbox, and/or special Crafted skill PADDs.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who sees this coming.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    knuhteb5knuhteb5 Member Posts: 1,831 Arc User
    edited January 2015

Nobody thought we'd get personal traits in lock boxes and look where we are now. Virtually every aspect of this game is being time gated and monetized under the guise of "f2p." We can't charge for storyline content but don't worry...we'll charge or time gate you for nearly everything else...
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2015

Still don't see how this is a cash grab since dilithium does not cost anything to obtain...

If anything, the player's are replacing large sums of EC (or blind RNG through Doff assignments) with a small amount of Dilithium to PERMANENTLY train a Boff with that specific skill... One off Dilithium cost for added convenience and flexibility aint so bad as I see it...

I also don't see how the functionality is being reduced, the new UI is a considerable improvement over the current system... Or are you referring to some rare abilities not being immediately trainable?

As for new Fleet, Lobi and Lockbox Boff skills, so what? They could have been introduced at any time in one form or another... I'm frankly surprised it has not already come to pass...

• Options
    edited January 2015
    knuhteb5 wrote: »
    Nobody thought we'd get personal traits in lock boxes and look where we are now. Virtually every aspect of this game is being time gated and monetized under the guise of "f2p." We can't charge for storyline content but don't worry...we'll charge or time gate you for nearly everything else...

Would you rather they close the servers?

Fact is STO is VERY generous in it's F2P model... When you can no longer convert Dilithium into Zen, then people might have reason to complain about cash grabs...

Outside of PWE, you'll be very hard pressed to find another F2P model that actually allows you to convert in-game currency into real-world currency, let alone at the rates in which you can do so within STO...

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Still don't see how this is a cash grab since dilithium does not cost anything to obtain...

I also don't see how the functionality is being reduced, the new UI is a considerable improvement over the current system... Or are you referring to some rare abilities not being immediately trainable?

As for new Fleet, Lobi and Lockbox Boff skills, so what? They could have been introduced at any time in one form or another... I'm frankly surprised it has not already come to pass...

It costs time. Stop pretending it doesn't cost anything at all. And yes, to Americans time is money. Is that so hard to understand? X amount of hrs spent on grinding for enough dlithium for these projects across 3 to 4 characters begins to add up to Y amount of di lithium. Eventually, you'll find your spending a greater percentage of your time grinding dilihium just to have access to basic in game functions that shouldn't have a cost associated to them or at least not a dilithium one. It's something we didn't have to spend dI lithium on before and now it is needlessly being added in for the sake of monetization under the guise of convenience.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    It costs time. Stop pretending it doesn't cost anything at all. And yes, to Americans time is money. Is that so hard to understand? X amount of hrs spent on grinding for enough dlithium for these projects across 3 to 4 characters begins to add up to Y amount of di lithium. Eventually, you'll find your spending a greater percentage of your time grinding dilihium just to have access to basic in game functions that shouldn't have a cost associated to them or at least not a dilithium one. It's something we didn't have to spend dI lithium on before and now it is needlessly being added in for the sake of monetization under the guise of convenience.

And would you please stop pretending capping Dilithium is actually hard, it can be done simply through assignments if you're smart... It's stupidly easy as KDF with Forced Labour assignments...

Throw in an STF or two and maybe 15 minutes in the Dyson ground BZ... Do the mining dailies, if you can be bothered for good measure...

Let's not forget the large Dilithium reward for completing Foundry missions too...

And all this is just basic game-play, you're not even having to grind for it... So please, spare me this fallacious rubbish...

• Options
    aelfwin1aelfwin1 Member Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Colony Invasion: No longer gives rewards for mandatory mission objectives.

Can't wait for this to be implemented across all the queues .

All we need is this and impossible non-optional optionals for the masses out there to fail hard at, and we're golden!

... seriously , we have it too good ...:rolleyes:
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Would you rather they close the servers?.

If it meant a permanent way to end the useless whinging and endless bugs, yes. But atleast STO is still in the black.
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    a3001 wrote: »
    If it meant a permanent way to end the useless whinging and endless bugs, yes. But atleast STO is still in the black.

There's an even easier solution for that, you do realise that don't you?

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Would you rather they close the servers?

Fact is STO is VERY generous in it's F2P model... When you can no longer convert Dilithium into Zen, then people might have reason to complain about cash grabs...

Outside of PWE, you'll be very hard pressed to find another F2P model that actually allows you to convert in-game currency into real-world currency, let alone at the rates in which you can do so within STO...

Please don't present me with a false choice and then claim it is the only one. Sto's model was fine before R and D was introduced as well as t6 ships. Did the world end then? Why is it that when anybody criticizes the STo f2p model just a little bit, they are attacked, berated, and given the false choice of either play this or quit and go play another game?

The world is more nuanced than the black and white picture you represent. Yes, it's shocking but Cryptic can still make money without having to resort to monetizing everything. And please stop using the excuse that STo is more generous than other mmo's. Wow, maybe it should continue to be that way, don't you think?

Honestly, if you have to resort to the "STo is more generous than mmo's" arguement, you've already lost the debate. The standard by which you should be judging new content is, for example: Is it fun and creative? Is it overly repetitive? Does this new system add value to the game? If it satisfies those criteria, then you can start to think about monetizing it within reason.
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif
  • Options
    a3001a3001 Member Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    There's an even easier solution for that, you do realise that don't you?

Well, yes....but that's none of my business *sips coffee*
    Rejoice JJ Trek people....

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10052253

Why are you not rejoicing?
  • Options
    johnstewardjohnsteward Member Posts: 1,073 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The most awesome change is the doff donation window getting a select all button..
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Please don't present me with a false choice and then claim it is the only one. Sto's model was fine before R and D was introduced as well as t6 ships. Did the world end then? Why is it that when anybody criticizes the STo f2p model just a little bit, they are attacked, berated, and given the false choice of either play this or quit and go play another game?

The world is more nuanced than the black and white picture you represent. Yes, it's shocking but Cryptic can still make money without having to resort to monetizing everything. And please stop using the excuse that STo is more generous than other mmo's. Wow, maybe it should continue to be that way, don't you think?

Honestly, if you have to resort to the "STo is more generous than mmo's" arguement, you've already lost the debate.

And nothing you have said here actually holds any water... Mere chest thumping and bloated rhetoric...

If you're going to claim that my assertion that STO's F2P model is still one of the most generous has been rendered inaccurate, because they have introduced a few new ways to generate revenue, provide examples that my assertion has now been rendered false...

By stating that STO's F2P model is indeed amongst the most generous around does not automatically lose an argument as you put it... What I have stated is true... Simply because you cannot challenge this assertion you put up a straw man argument, and hope no one will notice... If you're going to simply disregard what I ahve stated, because you have no way of challenging it, you have lost the argument before you even posted your response...

Another truth is that nothing Cryptic have done to monetise STO (which I will add would have undoubtedly been at PWE's instruction), which they are entirely within their rights to do as a side note, has been forced upon players... I am yet to spend any more money now, than I was before the monetisation of STO...

There is still not one iota of content which mandates the players spend hard earned cash... Please I challenge you to prove me wrong on this point...

As to why Cryptic/PWE felt it necessary to increase monetisation, I do not know and will not speculate... There's little point even trying to speculate why, business is business however...
    The standard by which you should be judging new content is, for example: Is it fun and creative? Is it overly repetitive? Does this new system add value to the game? If it satisfies those criteria, then you can start to think about monetizing it within reason.

And to answer your question, yes... The content released prior to, and with DR has been some of the best content Cryptic has released IMHO...

If you feel the compulsion to grind out the entire Specialisation tree, chase Gold MK XIV weapons, or every available Ship Trait, when it's entirely unnecessary to play said content, that's your prerogative and entirely by choice...

• Options
    snowpig74snowpig74 Member Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Another truth is that nothing Cryptic have done to monetise STO (which I will add would have undoubtedly been at PWE's instruction), which they are entirely within their rights to do as a side note, has been forced upon players... I am yet to spend any more money now, than I was before the monetisation of STO...

not correct. First all bank and inventory space was reduced because of "less items to store" for everybody, then they added "pay ZEN to add bank/inventory slots".
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    snowpig74 wrote: »
    not correct. First all bank and inventory space was reduced because of "less items to store" for everybody, then they added "pay ZEN to add bank/inventory slots".

When did this come about? Must have been over 2 years ago as I've never experienced a reduction in bank/inventory space...

If true, then I stand corrected on this point, but my statements were directed more at the changes within the last 6 - 12 months or so, and the focus on using Dilithium for more and more in-game tasks...

• Options
    edited January 2015
    And nothing you have said here actually holds any water... Mere chest thumping and bloated rhetoric...

If you're going to claim that my assertion that STO's F2P model is still one of the most generous has been rendered inaccurate, because they have introduced a few new ways to generate revenue, provide examples that my assertion has now been rendered false...

By stating that STO's F2P model is indeed amongst the most generous around does not automatically lose an argument as you put it... What I have stated is true... Simply because you cannot challenge this assertion you put up a straw man argument, and hope no one will notice... If you're going to simply disregard what I ahve stated, because you have no way of challenging it, you have lost the argument before you even posted your response...

There is still not one iota of content which mandates the players spend hard earned cash... Please I challenge you to prove me wrong on this point...

As to why Cryptic/PWE felt it necessary to increase monetisation, I do not know and will not speculate... There's little point even trying to speculate why, business is business however...

And to answer your question, yes... The content released prior to, and with DR has been some of the best content Cryptic has released IMHO...

If you feel the compulsion to grind out the entire Specialisation tree, chase Gold MK XIV weapons, or every available Ship Trait, when it's entirely unnecessary to play said content, that's your prerogative and entirely by choice...

Unless you're a trust fund baby with infinite an amount of time on your hands, sto isn't generous. You have to put time into sto and lots of it to make enough dilithium income and then convert that to Zen to buy items and then sell those on the exchange.

Second of all, somebody bears the cost. That's right, some gambling addict probably dropped $700 on keys and then sold his ship on the exchange for a lot less than what it's actually worth. What do you care though?

Time gates have also increased. If you have 4 characters, that's 25% of your sto time that you'll have to spend endlessly slotting 20 hr daily R and D projects. Woohoo!

Pvp also requires that you have gold mark 14 equipment so don't pretend you don't need it to stay competitive
    aGHGQIKr41KNi.gif