test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official DPS League & DPS Channels Thread

porchsongporchsong Member Posts: 262 Arc User
ATTN: WE HAD SOME ADMINS WE TRUSTED IN OUR CHANNELS/LEAGUE THAT DECIDED TO GO ON TRIBBLE DURING THE 3 HOUR PATCH AND KICKED EVERYONE OUT OF ALL THE CHANNELS THEN SEND INVITES TO THEIR NEW CHANNELS. THIS WAS A VERY COWARDLY, CHILDISH, AND UNDERHANDED MOVE.

But we currently are in the process of re-inviting everyone to the channels and all will be good. Should be completed within the next 24 hours or less.

Now, you do have to ask yourself: Do you really want to be associated with a group of people that went during the "stealth of the night" destroying 2 years of hard work nuking our channel members because they want to have their own league? I mean, it is perfectly fine if they wanted to start their own league--more power to them, but to kick everyone from the current league/channels (over 7,500 names)? It is about integrity guys and gals. And clearly they are lacking. So again, do you want to be a part of that group?

Anyway, all will be good and well in a very short amount of time. Hang in there. And don't let yourself be suckered into their gutter tactics.

Our channels/league are the original, first, and still the best.

And a last to think about: Ask yourself, "Did you want to be kicked from all of the channels?" Remember, they did this. Not us. We didn't misuse your trust, they did.

****ALL RE-INVITES HAVE BEEN SENT OUT. PLEASE LET ONE OF THE ADMINS KNOW IF YOU YOUR WERE SKIPPED OR IF YOU DIDN'T RECEIVE YOURS. ALSO, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE ROOM FOR YOUR INVITES OR THEY WILL NOT ARRIVE IF YOU ARE MAXED OUT AT 20 CHANNELS.****

Welcome to the DPS League!

****Official Website: DPS Channels

FIRST OFF: Here is a link to the CombatLogReader (CLR)

Java Version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/2g4f4e8ikymq03i/CombatLogReader_java.zip?dl=0

We are currently in the process of having a programmer build us a combatlog reader for the Official DPS League. So we still will be using CLR until we can officially retire it. Just understand that when you upload to CLR the other "league" will be sending you invites. Simply accept them then leave to clear them from your chat channels. If we miss your invite as we are getting our parser up, simply reach out to one of our admins. We expect to have our new parser within the next 2-3 weeks. We really do have top notch java programmer offering to help. And yes, it will be far superior. . . .

_____________________________________________________________________________________

So, what are the DPS League and DPS Channels?

Two years ago was the birth of the DPS Channels. We started with dps-5000, and slowly added the dps-11,000, and dps-20,000. But as power creep (or power tsunami) was introduced by Cryptic with each ½ season, dps scores started to escalate, so we had to reorganize the channels. Consequently, a year ago we decided to form the DPS League to manage the DPS channels and set some standards.

So who are we?

We are a large group of likeminded individuals who wish to get the very best out of each other and the content of STO. We achieve this by min/maxing our builds and theory crafting—with endless testing. We then spread the knowledge down the channels. But, we will help anyone who is willing to listen and take time to improve themselves. This is a mandate of the channels and we will kick anyone who is disruptive, rude, or against our ethos of helping others. The League/Channels are here to spread knowledge, tactics, and builds.

As of now we have the following channels. All of them are private except the dps-public. To get invited to the channels you must do an Infected Space Advanced (ISA) run and upload your parse to the League table. Then you will receive an invite within 48 hours (if not sooner—we usually do our invites every day). We have an admin tool that automatically scans the DPS League table and allows us to quickly mass add players to the various channels—so please do not hound the admins for invites.

To check to see if you have been invited already, click the cog on your chat window, then select the "channels" tab, then your invite will be at the top of the list. Simply highlight and then select join button at bottom left.

Here are the current channels:

DPS-Public: Our only open public channel. If you have not been invited to dps-10,000, then join here first. The remaining channels are all private.

DPS-10,000: Our basic dps channel. You must parse over 10k on ISA and upload your parse.

DPS-30.000: You must parse over 30k on ISA and upload your parse. Runs are much better in here.

DPS-50,000: You must parse over 50k on ISA and upload your parse. Runs are significantly better in here.

DPS-75,000: You must parse over 75k on ISA and upload your parse with a dropbox link of your combatlog to receive invite. No link, no invite.

DPS-Prime: Here resides the top 15 DPS players in the game. We will reset this channel the first of each month adding and removing players as they get bumped off.

Again, invites will occur within 48 hours, if you get passed over, then notify an admin.

Here are the admins:

@Porchsong
@John98837
@Sarcasmdetector
@alfiedono
@ukcaptain420
@Agresiel

Thanks,

PorchSong
Post edited by porchsong on

Comments

• Options
    porchsongporchsong Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Channel Rules:

1. Please respect the Admins. We deal with a lot of issues daily and spend an enormous amount of time keeping everything running smoothly and harmoniously.

2. No harassing or abusing other DPS channel members.

3. If you submit a fake parse to the league table, you will be permanently banned from league.

4. No cross channel groupings without prior notification--meaning if you call out in 30k, don't call out in 10k or pestf as well unless you notify players you have done so.

5. You are expected to do the DPS of the channel you join a run in, do not join runs in channels with toons that cannot meet the channel's standard. We understand everyone has a bad run every so often but if it becomes a habit, you will be dropped down to a lower channel until you can consistently make your mark. This rule applies for all channels.

6. Respect Wait For Pets (w4p, wfp) calls or any other strategies prior to start of match.

7. Prior notification must be given if using a lower DPS alt, or inviting a low DPS friend into the run.

8. Keep trading to the trading channels.

9. Infractions will start with a warning, then start at 24 hour suspensions from the DPS channels.

10. Best not to bother #'s -- could result in an immediate kick/ban.

And as for disputes and fights within the channels and what nots, we will generally kick/ban everyone for 24 hours as we sort stuff out. So far this has worked for us for 2 years, so we are not going to change it. Consequently, we also have pretty good harmony in the channels as a result.

Lastly, we don't kick/ban lightly, so any admin that does, ALL other admins will immediately back their decision without question. We also discuss amongst ourselves when we do kick/ban. So no use going to other admins trying to get reinstated--we will always default to admins decision as we are sorting things out.
  • Options
    sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    Population of DPS League and Channels

Total # of unique entrees in DPS League: 11239

> League
    > Channel

10k> 5129
    > 2779

30k> 1059
    > 845

50k> 271
    > 247

75k> 66
    > 62

as of Feb 7th, 2015.
  • Options
    sarcasmdetectorsarcasmdetector Member Posts: 1,176 Media Corps
    edited January 2015
    Starting Points:

* If you are going to ask someone for build advice, it helps if the person you are asking can see exactly what you have going. Prior to asking for advice i highly recommend you fill out your full build on http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/.

Include all your equipment, skill tree, traits, and in the notes section: your DOffs and subsystem power levels.

* There lots of useful resources to be found here:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/ and http://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/wiki/

* A very basic starter guide to DPS can be found here:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/comments/2j2fuq/basic_dps_guide_the_path_to_10k15k/
  • Options
    ukcaptain420ukcaptain420 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    this really should be a sticky
    SCM - Infected(S) - DMG Out: 11,776,567 DPS: 114,224.70 (28.7% of Team) - Pinky@ukcaptain420
    I reserve the right to have a completely different standpoint depending on my mood.
  • Options
    gavinrunebladegavinruneblade Member Posts: 3,894 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I second the request for a sticky.
  • Options
    saxfiresaxfire Member Posts: 558 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Rule 11: Please have a very merry crysmas.
    Say the word, it saves the world.
    CUUCUUMBEER! "-With slight partigen with it."
    Proud member or DPS-800 "-We kill dem mines with our scitter turrets."
  • Options
    jarvisandalfredjarvisandalfred Member Posts: 1,549 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015
    I must say, the dps-league is a fantastic organization, and it's helped me out immensely, as a guy who primarily flies tanks. You will be hard pressed to find a better group of good, knowledgeable, skilled players, who are willing to share their knowledge and help new and experienced players alike, even on the subject of things that aren't simply dps.

And if we've still got PESTF stickied, this needs a sticky for sure - if it doesn't replace PESTF's sticky. I mean, PESTF's post hasn't been updated at all in over a year (which is really embarrassing, since that means that means that their post was still advocating 10% rule before DR).
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

SCM - Hive (S) - [02:31] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 30.62M(204.66K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

Build questions? Look here!
  • Options
    nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Sticky this, definitely :) The best group of pve channels out there so far, organized and full of nice and helpful players ;)
  • Options
    scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    sticky!

do it :o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    nandospcnandospc Member Posts: 1,260 Arc User
    edited January 2015
  • Options
    ukcaptain420ukcaptain420 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    nandospc wrote: »
    Yeah, it is! Thanks mods :)

I second this

Thank you mods!!
    SCM - Infected(S) - DMG Out: 11,776,567 DPS: 114,224.70 (28.7% of Team) - Pinky@ukcaptain420
    I reserve the right to have a completely different standpoint depending on my mood.
  • Options
    siobhanphoenixsiobhanphoenix Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So I have been looking at the statistics, and running Infected Space is not the way to get a "true" DPS number...

First of all, you have to eliminate other players. There is too much variation introducing Debuffs from other players, buffs from other players, etc. Your DPS can change drastically (I have logs from the last few days on Argala for the Double XP weekend with teams, if you need me to demonstrate. Most of the time I ran with the same 4 people, and when we did that, things were pretty stable, but introduce variation... and it completely changes)

Second - you need a static situation, patrol missions are best for this, you'll get a read on essentially what your DPS is for that patrol mission (minus any "pets" like the Enterprise).

This then introduces no real variation.

You have the same allies per run (Japori is actually good for this), no people to boost your damage or debuff the enemy damage resistance other than yourself, and it's all reliant upon you, your ship build, and your abilities.

You need a static situation that does not change from run to run, essentially. And you can't have other players be able to boost or take away from your damage plus-minus the deviation for the allies in the patrol.

I would say that for damage tuning, and a good reference for how much damage you can do sustained would be a Romulan Patrol mission, on Expert, run through alone.

Can anyone give a good reason why this is not true? If it is, why are we not really measuring what our ships can do (for example, I run about 12k/s on Japori on Expert, with a spike high of between 52-150k on my R'Mor/Wells Science - deviation of about +/-500/s)

I can't see it being even remotely fair or even considered a competition until you can standardize the run like that.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    correct the above post, its
  • Options
    hawkrunnerhawkrunner Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The league qualification and channel invites are based on performance in ISA. You could almost call it an ISA DPS league because your channel access is determined by you and your team's performance in ISA. They do have tables and rankings for some of the other STFs, but ISA is the one they use to determine which channels you have access to. It's very true that you will see different DPS numbers on different maps under different conditions.
  • Options
    sohtohsohtoh Member Posts: 620 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So I have been looking at the statistics, and running Infected Space is not the way to get a "true" DPS number...

First of all, you have to eliminate other players. There is too much variation introducing Debuffs from other players, buffs from other players, etc. Your DPS can change drastically (I have logs from the last few days on Argala for the Double XP weekend with teams, if you need me to demonstrate. Most of the time I ran with the same 4 people, and when we did that, things were pretty stable, but introduce variation... and it completely changes)

Second - you need a static situation, patrol missions are best for this, you'll get a read on essentially what your DPS is for that patrol mission (minus any "pets" like the Enterprise).

You have the same allies per run (Japori is actually good for this), no people to boost your damage or debuff the enemy damage resistance other than yourself, and it's all reliant upon you, your ship build, and your abilities.

You need a static situation that does not change from run to run, essentially. And you can't have other players be able to boost or take away from your damage plus-minus the deviation for the allies in the patrol.

I would say that for damage tuning, and a good reference for how much damage you can do sustained would be a Romulan Patrol mission, on Expert, run through alone.

Can anyone give a good reason why this is not true? If it is, why are we not really measuring what our ships can do (for example, I run about 12k/s on Japori on Expert, with a spike high of between 52-150k on my R'Mor/Wells Science - deviation of about +/-500/s)

I can't see it being even remotely fair or even considered a competition until you can standardize the run like that.

If you wanted to find your "true" (aka solo) DPS, Starbase 234 would provide a more accurate result, as it is just you alone and no NPC helpers.

As far as why Infected Space Advanced, Darkjeff posted this:

"The standard we use for comparison is a full run of ISA (Infected Space Advanced). When you see "15k", "30k", etc., it's always in reference to your DPS in a full run of ISA. There are two reasons for that.

The first reason is because ISA has the least variance, the only variables being your team composition. The impact of that variable is ameliorated by running ISA multiple times and then looking at the average.

The second reason is because the results are actually relevant. ISA is done in a team, fighting against groups of enemies. If we're in a team with you for a PvE queue, we're going to be in a team, fighting against groups of enemies - so your performance in that context is what is measured."

His original post is here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=20950681&postcount=5
    "I'm not big on telepaths myself. I'm not big on guns either. But if everyone else has them, I want to make sure I can get my hands on the biggest one I can."
  • Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    ^--- is a better post than mine would have been (and less snarky/inflammatory) - saw it during the preview of my reply and decided just to type this instead.
  • Options
    thisslerthissler Member Posts: 2,055 Arc User
    edited January 2015

If you did something like that you wouldn't be able to benefit from running:

The most predictable content in the game.

Huge health pool no defense NPCS.

The skill button that is beta stacking.

Why mess with a good thing?

Why do we keep seeing ISA? Because that skill set isn't translating to different content. In particular more dispersed NPCs that feature things like 'movement' and 'shields'.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    thissler wrote: »
    If you did something like that you wouldn't be able to benefit from running:

The most predictable content in the game.

Huge health pool no defense NPCS.

The skill button that is beta stacking.

Why mess with a good thing?

Why do we keep seeing ISA? Because that skill set isn't translating to different content. In particular more dispersed NPCs that feature things like 'movement' and 'shields'.

Predictable content means consistent parses.

High HP no defense NPC's... well, high hp npc's are the only ones in the game right now, and no defense also (a) doesn't apply to all the npc's, unless you have great grav-well skills, and (b) isn't unheard of elsewhere.

How, exactly, do you police beta-stacking in any team scenario? Since obviously you compare it to a team scenario, and damage resist has diminishing returns. I prefer a team group for this exact reason - that prevents your personal APB or debuff of choice from showing as stronger than it actually is, and promotes teamplay.

And ISA does translate to other content - you'll notice that the same players, with usually the same builds (except for perhaps 1 or 2 specialized queues) tend to set speed records or first completions. There's a good reason for that.

---

Oh, and SB234 is a terrible place to try to compare damage in. It's outgoing damage is absurd to a single target, especially compared to a normal queue that splits aggro or has a tank, and any queue that has a high resist sole target as most of the damage sponge (hint, it's just that and CCA) is going to give vastly different success metrics than any other queue in the game.
    SCM - Crystal C. (S) - [00:12] DMG(DPS) - @jarvisandalfred: 8.63M(713.16K) - Fed Sci

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Predictable content means consistent parses.

High HP no defense NPC's... well, high hp npc's are the only ones in the game right now, and no defense also (a) doesn't apply to all the npc's, unless you have great grav-well skills, and (b) isn't unheard of elsewhere.

How, exactly, do you police beta-stacking in any team scenario? Since obviously you compare it to a team scenario, and damage resist has diminishing returns. I prefer a team group for this exact reason - that prevents your personal APB or debuff of choice from showing as stronger than it actually is, and promotes teamplay.

And ISA does translate to other content - you'll notice that the same players, with usually the same builds (except for perhaps 1 or 2 specialized queues) tend to set speed records or first completions. There's a good reason for that.

---

Oh, and SB234 is a terrible place to try to compare damage in. It's outgoing damage is absurd to a single target, especially compared to a normal queue that splits aggro or has a tank, and any queue that has a high resist sole target as most of the damage sponge (hint, it's just that and CCA) is going to give vastly different success metrics than any other queue in the game.

SB234 fits all the criteria that Siobhanphoenix had stated for true/solo DPS testing. No other players (not even NPCs, as they can alter the results) and a static situations were the two criteria. In measuring solo DPS there is just you, so there is no need to split agro or have a tank. And as you said, "Predictable content means consistent parses."
    "I'm not big on telepaths myself. I'm not big on guns either. But if everyone else has them, I want to make sure I can get my hands on the biggest one I can."
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    sohtoh wrote: »
    SB234 fits all the criteria that Siobhanphoenix had stated for true/solo DPS testing. No other players (not even NPCs, as they can alter the results) and a static situations were the two criteria. In measuring solo DPS there is just you, so there is no need to split agro or have a tank. And as you said, "Predictable content means consistent parses."

Did you miss the part where in a Sb234, most of your damage will be against a single target (discouraging AOE builds, unlike every queue ever) high resist target (while most targets in every PvE queue are low resist)?

And the other things about debuffing I mentioned earlier? Those will make a big difference.

Also, if I'm not mistaken, NPC spawns in Sb234 are at least partially random as to what they give you.

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

• Options
    virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Also, if I'm not mistaken, NPC spawns in Sb234 are at least partially random as to what they give you.

Not mistaken. The second line NPC varies. Could be a HEC, could be a Battleship, could be a MME...
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Did you miss the part where in a Sb234, most of your damage will be against a single target (discouraging AOE builds, unlike every queue ever) high resist target (while most targets in every PvE queue are low resist)?

And the other things about debuffing I mentioned earlier? Those will make a big difference.

Where was it stated that AOE was a criteria for the true/solo DPS testing? The debuffing is moot as the criteria was for only a single player to be in the mission, so that other players could not debuff.

The NPC spawns in SB234 are fairly consistent. The only randomness that I recall is that the second spawn can be either a Prometheus Class Escort or an Akira Class Escort or an Assault Cruiser (I think); which in all honestly doesn't make for a notable difference.

I believe you are thinking that I am advising to use SB234 over ISA, which I am not. Siobhanphoenix had said Japori was good for a solo DPS test as there were no other players to boost your damage or debuff the enemy. I pointed out the SB234 was a better alternative than Japori as there were no NPCs present as in Japori that could skew the results.

I have found only one mission, Fed side, that provides similar conditions as ISA and get similar parses. Even still, that mission is for my own personal testing of alterations to my build and are for reference only.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Where was it stated that AOE was a criteria for the true/solo DPS testing? The debuffing is moot as the criteria was for only a single player to be in the mission, so that other players could not debuff.

The NPC spawns in SB234 are fairly consistent. The only randomness that I recall is that the second spawn can be either a Prometheus Class Escort or an Akira Class Escort or an Assault Cruiser (I think); which in all honestly doesn't make for a notable difference.

I believe you are thinking that I am advising to use SB234 over ISA, which I am not. Siobhanphoenix had said Japori was good for a solo DPS test as there were no other players to boost your damage or debuff the enemy. I pointed out the SB234 was a better alternative than Japori as there were no NPCs present as in Japori that could skew the results.

I have found only one mission, Fed side, that provides similar conditions as ISA and get similar parses. Even still, that mission is for my own personal testing of alterations to my build and are for reference only.

Short version of what you're basically saying - correct me if I'm wrong on this:

you think solo parses are better than indivduals from a team parse?

I don't know of any cross-faction (obviously important here) content that provides the following key points better than ISA:
    • is consistent (so that your parse doesn't depend on what race/npc spawns)
    • is largely made up of multiple targets (nearly all of the PvE content in the game is based on how fast you can kill groups of enemies, so having a test that doesn't reflect your dps in an aoe environment is bad)
    • can be survived by people in a build that survives in a team setting (if you have to go full turtle or die often, it isn't comparable to most other environments)
    • features mostly or entirely low resist targets (again, to be comparable to most queues - damage resist debuffing gives different relative results based on the target's base resists (I can explain this in more depth if I need to))
    • Features at least some unshielded targets (a la ISA, CSA, KSA, VCE, Breach, UAE, etc) (to be fair to torpedo/kinetic builds)

There may be other factors I don't see, but that's why it's ISA. That, and it's easy and repeatable.

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Short version of what you're basically saying - correct me if I'm wrong on this:

you think solo parses are better than indivduals from a team parse?

I don't know of any cross-faction (obviously important here) content that provides the following key points better than ISA:
    • is consistent (so that your parse doesn't depend on what race/npc spawns)
    • is largely made up of multiple targets (nearly all of the PvE content in the game is based on how fast you can kill groups of enemies, so having a test that doesn't reflect your dps in an aoe environment is bad)
    • can be survived by people in a build that survives in a team setting (if you have to go full turtle or die often, it isn't comparable to most other environments)
    • features mostly or entirely low resist targets (again, to be comparable to most queues - damage resist debuffing gives different relative results based on the target's base resists (I can explain this in more depth if I need to))
    • Features at least some unshielded targets (a la ISA, CSA, KSA, VCE, Breach, UAE, etc) (to be fair to torpedo/kinetic builds)

There may be other factors I don't see, but that's why it's ISA. That, and it's easy and repeatable.

Completely wrong, here is a quote from my last post prior to yours.

As a multiplayer game it is far more important how a player performs with a team rather than solo. Just about any build can complete the missions and patrols solo.

SB234 came about as Siobhanphoenix was going to pick apart any mission that involved possible buffs or debuffs from other players. In the Japori patrol there are NPCs that also assist the player during the mission, which Siobhanphoenix was trying to avoid, yet referenced a mission that does such a thing. I was merely pointing out the SB234 was a better choice than Japori as it had no NPCs to assist the player, since that was a major concern for Siobhanphoenix.

And the mission I spoke of in my last post, like I said, was Fed side only and for reference only.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    SB234 Might actually be better... While I agree that teamplay is important, if you are talking about who's got the bigger whip (DPS), you can't base that on teamplay... now, if you did team DPS numbers, and compete that way, it makes sense, otherwise, you can't base individual numbers on team performance unless you are completing as a team....

See sports statistics for examples of this, passing and receiving in football are two interrelated team stats, for instance.

And yes, I agree, I mentioned Japori because it's one of the missions that is always the same and can be run over and over... but SB234 might be better, but it's not multi-factional....
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    SB234 Might actually be better... While I agree that teamplay is important, if you are talking about who's got the bigger whip (DPS), you can't base that on teamplay... now, if you did team DPS numbers, and compete that way, it makes sense, otherwise, you can't base individual numbers on team performance unless you are completing as a team....

See sports statistics for examples of this, passing and receiving in football are two interrelated team stats, for instance.

And yes, I agree, I mentioned Japori because it's one of the missions that is always the same and can be run over and over... but SB234 might be better, but it's not multi-factional....

...Sigh... No, SB234 doesn't solve these tests whatsoever, in fact, it fails literally all of them.

I don't know why people have the interest for SB234 that they do, but it's not relatable to normal queues. See above linked comment for why.

edit: and yes, SB234 is cross-faction, unless you want to team. Not that that really helps it.

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

• Options
    edited January 2015
    OK, now that I think about it SB234 isn't going to measure science/AOE DPS. Back to Japori or one of the other Tau Dewa patrols, only because the "team"makeup isn;t going to change. I think that Infected is Great for measuring team output, for example.... we now have ISA with my fleetmates down to 7 minutes, like we used to when we ran the pre-DR Infected: Conduit Elite.

But thats really team performance, and should be counted as team performance.

For personal DPS, (not team performance), there should be a run that is consistent every time, doesn't rely upon teams, etc. Japori does have allies, but they don't buff you, and don't count for your damage output... meaning that it's pretty consistent.

I am not saying ISA's are not relevant, I say they aren't relevant for tuning (BTW, you are also going to have different numbers between Japori, Carraya, and Beta Thoridar, based on your weapon choice, etc. seeing as the enemies are Nausicaan, Tal Shiar/Romulan, and Klingon.... ) - they are relevant for team competition I think, and if you are measuring team performances, then yes, thats EXACTLY the right type of map...

But statistically, if you are measuring 1 person's performance in terms of potential DPS, and for tuning and building benchmarks - the patrol missions run solo make more sense.
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Also, I'm not really interested in terms of the DPS channel, (I could care less if I am part of some elite club, I've been a member of a lot of elite clubs... it's not really worth it), but I am interested in terms of consistently benchmarking and tuning builds, as well as competing against myself for better times, better sustained damage, better spikes, etc.

The reason I bring this up, is because it seems to me, if you're measuring individual potential DPS, you'll want benchmarks... that way you see what someone performs on a benchmark. I hate to say it too, I've had some horrid DPSers with high HPS that were more important to team play sometimes than the Tac ships who did 20k+ DPS with 200k+ spikes. Or in terms of Infected... the control effectiveness can be more important than damage output with your science characters....

(Which is partly build, partly just experience, and partially tactical (not game tactical, real tactical) know-how in the moment).

I'm not trying to be difficult here, its just if you're measuring individual performance, then you have to look at Class and Benchmark performance... If you are measuring teamplay, ISA is great, but there will be some people who naturally score lower because of their role....
  • Options
    edited January 2015

I'm not trying to be difficult here, its just if you're measuring individual performance, then you have to look at Class and Benchmark performance... If you are measuring teamplay, ISA is great, but there will be some people who naturally score lower because of their role....

Yup. The dps-leagues measure exactly that, DPS. If you look at some high dps runs, they have low-dps utility ships. I know some high dps friends who request me, first on my high dps tank, then on my low (relatively speaking) tank if my main one's on cooldown. One of my most fun friends to fly with flies a ~15k healer. One of my other great friends is in the ~10k ish range, but flies various ships that can drain the shields off of anything (power-wise, actual shield drains themselves are basically worthless). Some of my most fun friends to fly with are also guys who fly ships in the 50-90k range. The DPS-Leagues let me find friends to queue up with, or teammates I know are competent and can complete a mission. But dps doesn't have to be your be-all/end-all to be in them.

Tacs are overrated.

Game's best wiki

• Options
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, I guess my confusion is what the DPS leagues are measuring. Good teamplay will obviously result in higher DPS for some (especially Tacs), sometimes science (PartGen AoE builds come to mind) - but it seems to me, that while yes, build comes into play, a high number on ISA also says as much about the support players as it does the high DPSer (by the way, I have an 11k+ log from an ISA run earlier, but I can't figure out how to upload it)

I like the idea of team numbers, and if there was a way to measure buff/debuff performance as well (ala City of Heroes, if I remember right the combatlogs used to show that kind of stuff if you turned an option on) you could actually have real team numbers... and rank people on them.

However, if you want people to stand on their own, for the most part... I was making a point about lessening the amount of variables to get more "true" numbers, especially for people trying to maximize their builds for the best performance in general.
This discussion has been closed.