test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game crashes in combat

2»

Comments

• wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    The first three are from the three attempts to play yesterday and the last one is from the fourteenth. It crashes everytime i'm in combat missions, leaving me unable to compete or complete.

Faulting application name: GameClient.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x54b6dc28
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521ea8e7
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x000ce753
    Faulting process id: 0x2e48
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d0313b7dc1f481
    Faulting application path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\GameClient.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\ntdll.dll

Faulting application name: GameClient.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x54b6dc28
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18247, time stamp: 0x521ea8e7
    Faulting process id: 0x3038
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d0313b2d15fc8c
    Faulting application path: D:\Program Files (x86)\Perfect World Entertainment\Star Trek Online_en\Star Trek Online\Live\GameClient.exe
    Report Id: 9d577b3f-9d2e-11e4-ad8a-40167ee70414

Faulting process id: 0x30e4
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d0313a340a0d12
    Report Id: 48a50724-9d2e-11e4-ad8a-40167ee70414

Faulting application name: GameClient.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x54acf2a8
    Faulting process id: 0x225c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d030406784be0c
    Report Id: 645fbcb5-9c37-11e4-bce3-40167ee70414
  • kthangkthang Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I decided to make a new thread dedicated to one aspect of these crashes, take a look at it here: http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1350061
  • shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    150106 07:33:28 48 Client[0 [NOENT]]: GSM_Quit(). Reason: emEditorMain or utilitiesLibShouldQuit()

Seems to appear in my crash file, hmm odd description imo.

0 [NOENT]]: GameServer link being forcibly disconnected by client (208.95.186.50:7395): Entered gclLogin

And this appears in my client server comm files, hmmm server not liking me.
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• vidarusvidarus Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    So, I was just running around the Voth ground battlezone, to see if ground combat was any better, lo and behold I wasn't crashing. Spent a good 10-15 minutes running around fighting Voth. Everything was A-OK. Right until I got to the second to last capture area that had other people there. Before that I was fighting solo, no other players around at all. Few seconds after fighting near other players and I crashed. I noticed a similar pattern in Neverwinter. Often times I'd last far longer without a crash if I was solo or only with one or two other players. Large groups and almost immediate crash. In space it doesn't seem to matter how many other players there are. Solo missions, queues, it all crashes.
    edited January 2015
    How long has everyone been unable to play for?

For me personally, it's been a month and a half. I missed out on everything in the winter event except the daily race, I've missed out on the Elachi event, and now I'm missing out on the double xp event. I'll probably miss out on the anniversary event as well. If that happens, I'm going to riot. With how bad this is effecting some of us, I'm starting to wonder if we shouldn't ask for some of what we're missing out on. I don't want to be the guy asking for free stuff anytime something goes wrong, but with how grind heavy everything is now, I'm really falling behind on things like upgrades and skill points an dilithium because i can't complete combat based content. Given the rewards that come with the anniversary event, I really don't want to be missing out on anything else, but I honestly don't know when they are going to be able to fix the crashing.

Is there any word yet, Dev side, about how this issue is coming along? I know they said it was being worked on, but a month and a half is too long for a bug that breaks the game, and there are people on here that have been having it longer than I have.
    edited January 2015
    How long has everyone been unable to play for?
    I'll probably miss out on the anniversary event as well.

Haven't been able to do any combat for, maybe a bit more than a month? I know I was able to do Elachi Alert, so after that sometime.

If the anniversary event is anything like the ones in the past, you should be able to do the daily to get the ship or whatever. As it usually just involves finding the mini-Qs.
    edited January 2015
    vidarus wrote: »
    Haven't been able to do any combat for, maybe a bit more than a month? I know I was able to do Elachi Alert, so after that sometime.

If the anniversary event is anything like the ones in the past, you should be able to do the daily to get the ship or whatever. As it usually just involves finding the mini-Qs.

I thought they had switched it, so we get a "feature episode" type mission, that rewards the ship at the end, just like temporal ambassador. Either way, it looks like a lot more posts are popping up about this issue, so hopefully they stop adding the smaller changes and start fixing the instabilities.
    edited January 2015
    Only the second and third year anniversary gave ships as a reward for a mission completion. Year four is when they introduced the 1000 Qmendation thing.
    edited January 2015
    You know it's a problem when even the anniversary gifts area grind now...

Hopefully they add a fun Queued (Q'd?) mission for the people that don't like chasing him around the academy. I would rather do something in the style of bug hunt. That would actually be kind of awesome. Bug hunt, but they're all replaced by different Q's...

How much longer is it to the actual anniversary?

With all of the people posting new threads about how the game is always crashing, do you think they will have it fixed by then?
    edited January 2015
    Well, this was last year's event. It wasn't as grindy as the summer or winter events.

If they stay with previous years the event should start near the end of January and go for most of February.

I have no idea when our issues will be solved but I'm sure someone is working to remedy it as soon as possible.
    edited January 2015
    Hopefully. As I said elsewhere, with more of these posts about crashing popping up, hopefully they're going to be putting more effort and resources into fixing it.
  • crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2015
    From what I have been told, these look to be graphics and/or audio related crashes. Also, it seems that headphones, especially Bluetooth headphones are being affected. So, some things you can try and information you can provide to help us track this down is as follows:

Do you play with a headset? Is it Bluetooth? In either case, what do you use?

Have you updated your audio and/or graphics drivers? If not, please try doing so and see if that helps. If it doesn't mitigate the issue, please let us know what graphics and audio you use.

Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
    STO QA Team
  • kthangkthang Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Or have a look in this thread, http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1350061 , and downgrade graphics drivers.
  • bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Don't play with headset re-instaled windows (now installed 64 bit before i had 32-bit) up-dated grafix driver (nvidia gforce experience keeps my driver up-to date) still the game crashes when playing missions (bug-hunt, borg disconect,ect)
    Can doff and r&d without problems .
    edited January 2015
    From what I have been told, these look to be graphics and/or audio related crashes. Also, it seems that headphones, especially Bluetooth headphones are being affected. So, some things you can try and information you can provide to help us track this down is as follows:

Have you updated your audio and/or graphics drivers? If not, please try doing so and see if that helps. If it doesn't mitigate the issue, please let us know what graphics and audio you use.

I'm using the Afterglow prismatic headset from Gamestop.
    http://www.gamestop.com/accessories/afterglow-universal-prismatic-wireless-headset/112085

It's not a bad headset, but it wasn't nearly as nice as the turtle beach set i had before hand. It's wireless to a usb plugin, and i usually keep it wired just because. No Bluetooth involved. Graphics wise, i'm on radeon r9 200x in crossfire. I'm pretty sure the drivers are 14.501.1003.0 as well.

I'm really hoping this is something that can be sorted out before the anniversary. Hopefully this helps solve the issue for a lot of people having it.
    edited January 2015

I use a Logitech USB Headset H530. It uses just the standard USB audio drivers from the OS. My graphics card is a GTX 260 and my drivers are currently up to date. When the issue first started I was using a somewhat older version of graphics drivers, so I thought maybe an update would help. It did not.

So, while writing this I had an idea to switch back to my speakers, using Realtek High Definition Audio drivers, instead of the headset and see if that changed anything. It indeed did. I was able to do a full Crystalline Catastrophe run with no issues at all. When using the headset I would barely make it a few seconds into the initial combat before crashing. It having something to do with headsets, at least in my case, seems to be right on the money.
    edited January 2015
    Sure enough, switching the game (specifically) to something other than the headset lets me play the game again, but I can't hear anything now. To be honest, I would rather be able to play and not hear it rather than hear it but constantly crash. I can always listen to music over the headset and switch the game only to something else.

Remembering the fmod comment, it looks like this isn't the only game having this issue with the fmods.

http://www.fmod.org/questions/question/crash-with-usb-headset

I wonder what the issue is. Again though, hopefully all of this feedback helps get this solved for us and for numerous others. I do like actually contributing to fixing things in game.
    edited January 2015
    Still crashed, but this time it was much later. The crash report number didn't copy for some reason, so i didn't get the chance to post it here. Lame... I was able to play for a little while though, so that was better than nothing.
    edited January 2015
    Crash report: 34891372

I'm still crashing in combat, but now at least, it's not every time i'm in combat.
    edited January 2015
    And after today's down time, i'm back to crashing every time i'm in combat. Even with the game set to something other than my headphones. It's not giving me the crash report, but if it does, i'll try to post some here.
  • dtigerwomandtigerwoman Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    My problem did in fact turn out to be my Afterglow wireless Headset. I disabled the headset and played with another wired headset and my problem is now solved. I've been playing for a few days now without any crashes at all. Sadly, I loved the wireless headset, but if that means I can't play then I suppose I just have to give up on the headset until hopefully something is corrected either in game or with the headsets themselves. I'm just glad I can actually play now. :)
    edited February 2015
    I think I'll just be sticking to the turtlebeach headsets from now on, myself. I wonder why the specific fmods don't seem to like certain headsets though.
  • dread73dread73 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    hmmm ... I have an Afterglow USB wireless headset as well and I get constant CTD's in STO and Neverwinter as well.

I have also completely re-installed BOTH games, used the graphics tool to completely uninstall my AMD Vid drivers and re-installed those as well ...

Will try disabling the headphones and putting it onto speaker to see how we go and report back.

And no - I am NOT getting rid of my afterglows. They are awesome and work perfectly fine in EVERY other MMO and single player game I have!
  • dread73dread73 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2015
    Followup - yup, its my Afterglow USB Wireless Headset!

Disabled them in Playback devices and set Speakers as Default in Windows, Set Audio device in STO (and Neverwinter) to Speakers and played last night for 6 hours without a single CTD. Logged into Neverwinter and did a Skirmish - which ALWAYS CTD'd within seconds and did 3 Skirmishes fine and running around town - all without a single CTD.

Cheers for the pointers in this thread that got to the bottom of this!!

Note: The headphones are perfectly fine - Perfect World/Cryptic seem to have an issue with Wireless/Bluetooth headphones.

Hope this helps someone end their frustration levels ;)