test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game crashes in combat

wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
edited April 2015 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Which makes a game 90% about murdering everything you see, entirely unplayable...

Needless to say, I'm a little more than peeved that I as well as others, have been having serious issues with the game crashing anytime combat happens. This has been going on for a month solid, so while a holiday break for the team is a priority, it does seem a bit long considering there is a population of players that can't even play the darn thing. This is just one of the countless issues this game is having, so on top of the last thread being ignored, then tossed into an entirely unrelated thread, i figured it would be good to post this, so people with this issue could voice up about it without feeling like they're being ignored by Cryptic.

Which is exactly what happened...

Anyway, feel free to add in if you're still having an issue with the game constantly crashing on you. They need to know that people are being left unable to play and it needs to be addressed in ways other than sweeping it underneath their overflowing rug...
Post edited by wraithshadow13 on

Comments

• dtigerwomandtigerwoman Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I am still having this same issue as well and it is very disappointing. I've spent time with support tickets sending all requested info and I have submitted highly detailed bug reports in game as well.

I was enjoying the winter event until this problem began and now I can't enjoy the Winter event or anything else in the game that requires me to attack things. I've had to find something else to play, hoping that this issue will get resolved. Every week, with every patch, I've tried to play, and every week I crash the moment I attempt to actually do something :(

There are 2 people in my house, and 2 computers with very different specs experiencing this issue. Very sad situation considering we really like the game and would really like to play it.
  • wraithshadow13wraithshadow13 Member Posts: 1,728 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Considering that this has been happening shortly after the winter event, hopefully it resolves after they take it down, since i don't think they would (or realistically could) fix it other wise. I haven't been able to do anything but log in and do the R&D grind, which kind of dies quickly since I can't grind out the materials needed to grind the R&D grind, since grinding is all this game is about anymore...
  • vidarusvidarus Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I've been having the same problem. Combat crashes the game to desktop. However, it seemed to only happen after the Elachi Alert weekend as I was able to complete several runs of it without issue. Additional aggravation comes from the fact that Neverwinter also crashes during combat. Given that these are the two MMOs I play the most, this whole thing is beyond frustrating. Haven't had any issues in any other games either.
    edited January 2015
    Checking back in after the patch today (and their "extended" downtime) that I'm still having the issue of crashing as well as the graphical bug in the winter event. I just don't know why it's only this game doing it for me.

I'm sorry to hear that neverwinter is doing it to you though. Frankly, I've just lost hope at this point.
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, it's extremely disheartening. It's quite possible that sometime in the future the problem will have a solution. I just don't see it happening before the Anniversary event. Which will most likely involve some combat to possibly earn a new ship or some such shiny thing.
  • ricosakararicosakara Member Posts: 422 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I'm currently having lag issues with space STFs. This has been happening to me since yesterday. Could this be related?
  • bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Crashes all the time, played 3 missions, 2 bughunt, 1 bda 2 crashes in the middle of bha and when starting bda.
    Have it now for over a month, tried everything (even clean up-start with msconfig) nothing makes a difference.
  • norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    In all of this, did anyone happen to capture a message, or investigate their event viewer, or something that could be used to determine the cause?
  • psygn0sispsygn0sis Member Posts: 102 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Could it me an AMD vid card problem?
    CLR.png
  • crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2015
    Are you getting the Cryptic Error Tracker when these crashes happen?

If so, can you get me the number listed at the bottom of the window?
    STO QA Team
  • illcadiaillcadia Member Posts: 1,412 Bug Hunter
    edited January 2015

It's most likely not a video card problem, the error tracker doesn't pick it up. This is a client/server desynch caused by FIRING THE LAG CANNON (you think I'm joking. I'm not. There's an actual figurative lag cannon players are using to CTD everyone in a combat instance).

It only works in space though. I know how it works, and I can tell you how it works if you're interested. But I don't feel comfortable posting it in public because it'd make more people use it (and it's really easy to use).
    edited January 2015

I've seen the Cryptic Error Tracker maybe twice after a crash. Most of the time when a crash happens it goes straight to desktop with the gameclient.exe still running in processes while a random sound from whatever area you were in sort of plays repeatedly and overlaps until the process is manually stopped or just stops by itself. When checking event viewer the error that comes up deals with ntdll.dll. I've seen quite a few people on the forums here and over at Neverwinter have the same error. So I don't know it it's specific to us, the engine or whatever.
    edited January 2015

This one just happened today, during a CCA.

When it crashed in BHA, it just went to desktop.

Either way, this has been happening for over a month, and it crashes every time i get into a fight, meaning that I've been missing out on a lot of stuff lately.
    edited January 2015
    I did a bit of poking around Tribble today to take a gander at the new specialization and BOFF training redesign. Had an idea to try some combat and see if I'd get a crash. Did a full random enemy contact in Tau Dewa. Fought a bunch of groups of Tholians and no crashes. Everything was fine. Slightly befuddled but maybe, just maybe, this means my issue will be solved in a patch in the future. Possibly.
    edited January 2015
    vidarus wrote: »
    I did a bit of poking around Tribble today to take a gander at the new specialization and BOFF training redesign. Had an idea to try some combat and see if I'd get a crash. Did a full random enemy contact in Tau Dewa. Fought a bunch of groups of Tholians and no crashes. Everything was fine. Slightly befuddled but maybe, just maybe, this means my issue will be solved in a patch in the future. Possibly.

Was the winter event still up on tribble? To be honest, i think it's something to do with a patch on the winter event. I was fine until the thursday after it launched, and since then, i've been unable to get a decent game out of it. The squares appeared with the next patch and never went away either.

Here is a second crash log number, but on an interesting note, when ever i do space combat, it crashes to the reporter, but when i did ground combat, there was a windows pop up that told me Gameclient.exe stopped working. It seemed to be that way every time, so I don't know if that helps find the problem or not. I'll jump on tribble and see if it lets me play through any combat at all.
    edited January 2015
    Yeah, while playing on tribble, i wasn't able to get into a queue since no one was queueing, but combat from missions was working just fine, both space and ground. At least it's nice to know it's not going to hopefully be a permanent thing, but still, it's aggrevating to not be able to grind in such a grind heavy game. I'm out a month and a half's worth of resources that I'm going to need with the new update coming out or for all the things I could have upgraded on a single character so far.

Very frustrating...

At this point, i just want to be able to log in and play again, even if the grinding is effectively killing all of my alts. At least I know it's not my systems fault (for the most part).
  • kthangkthang Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Maps like Borg Disconnected and the previous Elachi Alert CTDs a lot, some times Voth ground zone. In DX9 mode it happens almost every match and if lucky you can finish it if you log back in fast enough. In DX11 it takes a bit longer time, some times 3 matches but in the end it CTDs.

Exception code is always: 0xc0000374 STATUS_HEAP_CORRUPTION (stackhash) and bypasses the Cryptic error program totally. Game freezes, straight to CTD.

I never had this before until some patch late last year, pretty much around the time when the last Elachi Alert event came. Before that, no CTDs. Always keeping drivers up to date. I got an AMD 7970 Ghz.ED. 3GB card.

Since it happens very fast with DX9 and after a while with DX11 I can't but wonder if it is some kind of memory leak or issue that is handled better in DX11 than DX9.

At any rate, if this continues and is not getting better or fixed there is little reason to keep playing as having ten CTDs in a row just takes the fun out of it. Hope this gets looked in to, and for devs feel free to contact me for any other info you may require. I've been a beta-tester (open, closed and in-house) for over 15 years so I know a lot of the drills.
  • crypticfrostcrypticfrost Member Posts: 1,479 Cryptic Developer
    edited January 2015
    The crashes wraithshadow13 reported are FMOD related. It was fixed previously but has reared its head again, so thanks for those numbers.

As to the others, I don't have any information. Our core programming team continues to work on crashes and we are seeing a slow decline in occurrences week by week.

I realize this is small comfort to those of you affected by ongoing issues.
    STO QA Team
    edited January 2015
    Was the winter event still up on tribble? To be honest, i think it's something to do with a patch on the winter event. I was fine until the thursday after it launched, and since then, i've been unable to get a decent game out of it. The squares appeared with the next patch and never went away either.

I'm not sure if the winter event was still up on tribble. Didn't notice/check. I don't believe it was. Even so, while on the winter event was live on holodeck I was able to do runs of Elachi Alert just fine. And I had no issues with snowman combat. I don't really know exactly when my issues started as I didn't do much combat after the initial Tides of Ice and Elachi Alert.
    edited January 2015
    @cypticfrost

Thank you for the followup reply. Yes, it is very frustrating, and it seems to only happen on some maps mainly.

I do not know how similar the STO and Neverwinter client is, but in NW there are no issues on the same settings btw. Not sure if that information is of any use, but something might be right one place and wrong the other if they are similar.

It can also be related to some effect or weapon firing. In EVE Online at one point people with RealTek on-board audio experienced BSOD when someone, even NPCs, used Large Armor Repairer. The sound crashed the game, BSOD-style. In STO, for this issue, it mainly causes a CTD but on a handful of occasions it has resulted in a BSOD with ntdll -> graphics driver error (from bluescreen log). Not sure if people with nVidia also experiences this crash as I'm on AMD.

Really hope it gets sorted, soon, and me and probably a lot of the others really appreciate you guys keeping us in the loop on progress. And as said before, if you ever need someone brought to a test-instance or server for testing just let me know and I'll help and CTD as much as possible for you to test. :-)
    edited January 2015
    kthang wrote: »
    @cypticfrost

Thank you for the followup reply. Yes, it is very frustrating, and it seems to only happen on some maps mainly.

I do not know how similar the STO and Neverwinter client is, but in NW there are no issues on the same settings btw. Not sure if that information is of any use, but something might be right one place and wrong the other if they are similar.

It can also be related to some effect or weapon firing. In EVE Online at one point people with RealTek on-board audio experienced BSOD when someone, even NPCs, used Large Armor Repairer. The sound crashed the game, BSOD-style. In STO, for this issue, it mainly causes a CTD but on a handful of occasions it has resulted in a BSOD with ntdll -> graphics driver error (from bluescreen log). Not sure if people with nVidia also experiences this crash as I'm on AMD.

Really hope it gets sorted, soon, and me and probably a lot of the others really appreciate you guys keeping us in the loop on progress. And as said before, if you ever need someone brought to a test-instance or server for testing just let me know and I'll help and CTD as much as possible for you to test. :-)

Agreed, thank you as well. It's bad enough to be having an issue that keeps you from playing, but to be ignored on it just makes it all the worse. Thank you for addressing this.

Unfortunately in my case, it happens EVERY... TIME...

I haven't been able to finish a fight since the first patch of the winter event, meaning that I can't advance my main, let alone all of my alts. Playing as an augment is no fun when you can't beat your enemies into submission with your bare hands, let alone at all.

Hopefully they get this fixed soon.
    edited January 2015
    The crashes wraithshadow13 reported are FMOD related. It was fixed previously but has reared its head again, so thanks for those numbers.

As to the others, I don't have any information. Our core programming team continues to work on crashes and we are seeing a slow decline in occurrences week by week.

Any recommendations for those of us effected by this?
    edited January 2015
    Well, today I set the client to bare minimum. While looking, graphicwise, absolutely horrible I managed to fight five Borg Disconnected before it CTD'd.

To me it looks more and more like a memory issue. If you have graphic settings set high, crash is frequent. When set to bare minimum, and I mean anything off, min and at 0, it takes longer time but it does happen in the end.
  • cyclonis1cyclonis1 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited January 2015

What about the space combat lag issue? I literally have failed several borg disconnects and am currently unable to complete any space combat missions. I can complete ground missions, like bug hunt, just fine.

Thoughts?
    edited January 2015
    I'm really hoping that I don't miss out on the double xp weekend because of this. I've already missed the elachi event, and i couldn't do anything thing but the race for the winter event. Hopefully taking down the winter event fixes this, or at least gets rid of the problem that caused it.
    edited January 2015
    Now that I was able to transfer a character to Tribble I thought I'd go ahead and test combat again. Things didn't go as well as last time. Was able to stay in combat a lot longer than I normally could on Holodeck though, yet it still crashed. Have been listening to the sound more after FMOD was brought up and I have noticed some glitches with sound here and there during combat and after it crashes.

This last crash on Tribble actually produced a Cryptic Error Tracker window. Here's the code if you're interested:

It is odd that I was able to complete an entire Argala patrol with my "old" character on Tribble. Was level 50 and using one of my older ships. Had no starships traits unlocked or slotted, no intel powers, etc. But this time I copied the current version of the character and I started getting crashes on Tribble as well.
    edited January 2015
    I was really hoping that removing the winter event would fix this issue for me, but it hasn't. Instead, space just gives me the error message that Gameclient.exe has stopped working, and ground is straight back to the desktop with no messages or anything.

As a reminder, this happens EVERY time I get into combat, and it's been happening for a month and a half. I'm pretty upset about it at this point because, with how grind heavy this game has become, i'm missing out on events that are supposed to help with that AND i'm not even able to run what I need to in general to grind as a whole. This means I've missed out on a month and a half of xp, a month and a half of dilithium, I can't earn skill points, I can build up resources needed for upgrades, I can't level my alts, I can't do anything other than walk around, which really kills a gaming experience.

I'm livid at this point, because I dropped the money for the DR pack a little before this happened, and now I can't even play the freakin' game at all. I'm missing out on events needed for all the new grinds being put in and frankly, the fact that this has been going on for over a month is ridiculous.

I'm angry, and I honestly don't want to be a jerk about the issue, but hopefully Cryptic gets this fixed soon.
    edited January 2015
    @wraithshadow and anyone else

Open the system Event Viewer. Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Eventviewer.

Open the tree Windows Logs and select Application. Then scroll down until you find the entry Error that contains the STO crash and select it for viewing. It may start with this:

Faulting application name: GameClient.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x54acf2a8
    Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.1.7601.18229, time stamp: 0x51fb1072
    Exception code: 0xc0000374
    Fault offset: 0x000ce753
    Faulting process id: 0x1390
    Faulting application start time: 0x01d02e8c8e349cc1

Copy this, and paste it here. I am quite certain everyone's Exception ID will be 0xc0000374
  • dakotadahotnessdakotadahotness Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    psygn0sis wrote: »
    Could it me an AMD vid card problem?

I have Nvida so....:(
  • dakotadahotnessdakotadahotness Member Posts: 170 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    I was really hoping that removing the winter event would fix this issue for me, but it hasn't. Instead, space just gives me the error message that Gameclient.exe has stopped working, and ground is straight back to the desktop with no messages or anything.

As a reminder, this happens EVERY time I get into combat, and it's been happening for a month and a half. I'm pretty upset about it at this point because, with how grind heavy this game has become, i'm missing out on events that are supposed to help with that AND i'm not even able to run what I need to in general to grind as a whole. This means I've missed out on a month and a half of xp, a month and a half of dilithium, I can't earn skill points, I can build up resources needed for upgrades, I can't level my alts, I can't do anything other than walk around, which really kills a gaming experience.

I'm livid at this point, because I dropped the money for the DR pack a little before this happened, and now I can't even play the freakin' game at all. I'm missing out on events needed for all the new grinds being put in and frankly, the fact that this has been going on for over a month is ridiculous.

I'm angry, and I honestly don't want to be a jerk about the issue, but hopefully Cryptic gets this fixed soon.

I want to be a jerk about it, these things consistently happen on events, this time double xp weekend. It will go for hours and there will be lost time for earning, if its fixed at all:mad: