test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So, seriously. What does Cryptic plan to do about the upset core of their playerbase?

Comments

• Options
    paxdawnpaxdawn Member Posts: 767 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    eltatus wrote: »
    What does Cryptic plan to do about the upset core of their playerbase?

Upset them more, LMFAO

This is total propaganda with the Core of their playerbase.

Let us first divide the player base.

1) There are role players/ real casual players who dont care about finishing normal, advanced or elite
    2) Those who claim to be casual players but cannot finish advanced and elite queues because they have bad builds/groups.
    3) Those who have decent builds but always group or join PuGs and fails majority of the advanced and elites. Never joins a decent fleet or a decent private channel group.
    4) those who refuses to grind but demands they should be rewarded like the best players in game or those players who grind
    5) Players who want to maximize DPS, which numbers in the thousands, and finish advanced and elite almost 100%

If you look at it, those who have been complaining are #2, #3 and #4 player base are minorities. You cannot say these are core players because these are minorities. They are also a hindrance to the game because, they refuse change, refuse to adapt to the game or even grind/pay as #5 or just pay as #1.

#1 will always buy stuff for iconic purposes because these RP and real casual players not fake self proclaimed casual players
    #5 has potential to buy $1,000++ or its ingame equivalent per toon just to upgrade their stuff into epic. If we base the $ to EC exchange rate to Elachi Sheshar it is $200=500M EC. 1 Antiproton beam mkxiv[crtd]x4 epic costs 200M at exchange today. They are also open to grinding.

It is the reason why they havent done anything because the few that have complained here think they are the core/majority players when they are not.
  • Options
    dpsloss88dpsloss88 Member Posts: 765 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Making the game a grind fest is not good for business.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    paxdawn wrote: »

1) There are role players/ real casual players who dont care about finishing normal, advanced or elite
    2) Those who claim to be casual players but cannot finish advanced and elite queues because they have bad builds/groups.
    3) Those who have decent builds but always group or join PuGs and fails majority of the advanced and elites. Never joins a decent fleet or a decent private channel group.
    4) those who refuses to grind but demands they should be rewarded like the best players in game or those players who grind
    5) Players who want to maximize DPS, which numbers in the thousands, and finish advanced and elite almost 100%

If you look at it, those who have been complaining are #2, #3 and #4 player base are minorities.

I'm confused ... so the majority of STO's players are Roleplayers & Min/Maxers ? Did not know that ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Sounded like a complaint to me?

Not sure what it has to do with Events, though ... there is something called "context" ...

- Am I unhappy with the current state of the game ? Yep
    - Do I think the frequency of Events, is a sign for things to come ? Yep
    - Are Events necessarly a bad thing & do I dislike them ? -> Nope certainly not ...

-> They can bring on all the Events they want, that's not the problem ... the problem is everything else ...
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'm confused ... so the majority of STO's players are Roleplayers & Min/Maxers ? Did not know that ...

if only those metrics where that easy to sum up in 5 tables lol
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,878 Arc User
    edited December 2014

1. We are all wrong and the Devs have so much contradicting data to us that they can discount what we are saying and carry on regardless.

I actually suspect this is the case. Its a fault of mob psychology to assume that because the world isn't working the way it thinks it should that its root is in the blatent incompetence of those higher up. Its not that they're presuming a situation and working through circuitous arguments to reach a self-satisfying point of view, its that the people in charge are inexplicable morons (and just wouldn't you know it we have the solution.)

This might be quite a streatch to generalize, but when every forum [in a similar sociological position as STO's) in the history of the medium comes down to this particular argument I doubt you can possibly take it as anything other than a reflexive quirk of human behavior as channeled through the particular format of the forum posting system. Its not real, and just wouldn't you know it the steam data from the past few months bares that out (no significant decrease from the pre-DR STO population to the STO population following the expansion spike. The most justifiable complaint you can make about DR is that it maintained the status quo, rather than having a more constructive influence on the game and its population.)

Pissed off core eh? Well maybe but you can't take anything said here as a product of that. STO "core gamers" probably aren't those who spend their time posting on the forums since the leap from playing the game to dedicating time and developing a habit of expressing an opinion in an open venue about said game (at the expense of playtime) is a rather large one and not commonly made in my experience. Its an unusual choice (see. the size of forum populations versus game populations across the industry), and one that likely carries with it the problem of bias.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    deadspacex64deadspacex64 Member Posts: 565 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    paxdawn wrote: »
    This is total propaganda with the Core of their playerbase.

Let us first divide the player base.

If you look at it, those who have been complaining are #2, #3 and #4 player base are minorities. You cannot say these are core players because these are minorities. They are also a hindrance to the game because, they refuse change, refuse to adapt to the game or even grind/pay as #5 or just pay as #1.

#1 will always buy stuff for iconic purposes because these RP and real casual players not fake self proclaimed casual players
    #5 has potential to buy $1,000++ or its ingame equivalent per toon just to upgrade their stuff into epic. If we base the $ to EC exchange rate to Elachi Sheshar it is $200=500M EC. 1 Antiproton beam mkxiv[crtd]x4 epic costs 200M at exchange today. They are also open to grinding.

It is the reason why they havent done anything because the few that have complained here think they are the core/majority players when they are not.

nice way to pull numbers out of your ar...gala

show proof that any of that is accurate and NOT by the cryptic metric standard either.

on topic...already seen what cryptic will do, and what they'll do moving forward, censor everything in the forums that gives DR a negative aspect and pretend everything is AWESOME. rainbows and unicorns, everything is WAI and the players love it -.-'
    Dr. Patricia Tanis ~ "Bacon is for sycophants and products of incest."
    Donate Brains, zombies in Washington DC are starving.
  • Options
    thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I actually suspect this is the case. Its a fault of mob psychology to assume that because the world isn't working the way it thinks it should that its root is in the blatent incompetence of those higher up. Its not that they're presuming a situation and working through circuitous arguments to reach a self-satisfying point of view, its that the people in charge are inexplicable morons (and just wouldn't you know it we have the solution.)

This might be quite a streatch to generalize, but when every forum [in a similar sociological position as STO's) in the history of the medium comes down to this particular argument I doubt you can possibly take it as anything other than a reflexive quirk of human behavior as channeled through the particular format of the forum posting system. Its not real, and just wouldn't you know it the steam data from the past few months bares that out (no significant decrease from the pre-DR STO population to the STO population following the expansion spike. The most justifiable complaint you can make about DR is that it maintained the status quo, rather than having a more constructive influence on the game and its population.)

Pissed off core eh? Well maybe but you can't take anything said here as a product of that. STO "core gamers" probably aren't those who spend their time posting on the forums since the leap from playing the game to dedicating time and developing a habit of expressing an opinion in an open venue about said game (at the expense of playtime) is a rather large one and not commonly made in my experience. Its an unusual choice (see. the size of forum populations versus game populations across the industry), and one that likely carries with it the problem of bias.

I really like what you've said here in this post Duncan. I can follow you on this. Plus One!
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Yes. I also want to see the numbers on this detailed study of player types! Fascinating.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    bones1970bones1970 Member Posts: 953 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    This describes me 100% at the moment as well.

With the difference that I select 2 chars, run the race and I can't even bother setting Doff missions anymore. Sometimes I start RD, sometimes I just can't be bothered anymore.
    Not sure if there is something that'll keep me logging in a few days when I complete the races and I'm doing even those because I had around 500 pics per char on 2 chars from last year. Having too much actual fun in the "other game" I subbed to and started playing this past month.

And you describes me, its that i leveled a star base to tier 5, level 20 to much time invested....
  • Options
    stark2kstark2k Member Posts: 1,467 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Truth is, I hate PWE, I hate everything that commie company represent. It is sad they bought STO from ATARI, as I was originally hoping that an American company with real vision would have taken the game. I've been through the game's evolution from day 1, and although Atari wasn't great, what PWE did was convert this game into a hellish form of virtual slavery and addiction.

As a previous poster mentioned, if players would stop feeding this monstrosity with their cash, it can send a loud statement to those in charge. However; We all know it will not happen, simply because of the ip. PWE knew what they had bought, as Americans are pretty much gullible to anything Trek, as is the huge fanbase across the globe, especially in Europe. Look at the obsession with virtual goods, the obsession over the next shiny ship in a shiny lock box, it is like a bad drug.
    StarTrekIronMan.jpg
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yes. I also want to see the numbers on this detailed study of player types! Fascinating.

And you know what?! The best number is 73. Why? 73 is the 21st prime number. Its mirror, 37, is the 12th and its mirror, 21, is the product of multiplying 7 and 3... and in binary 73 is a palindrome, 1001001, which backwards is 1001001.

:P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    coupaholiccoupaholic Member Posts: 2,188 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    kavase wrote: »
    I don't agree that EVERY developer and/or publisher does this, but, yes, many of them are doing it, with more on the way and it's a really bad trend for the gaming industry.

But I do have hope. There was a publisher out there which rather recently, canned a project along with the developing team because the quality of game wasn't up to standard. The game will never be released.

The response from the beta testers as well as others was rather interesting however. A good portion wanted the game to be released anyway, despite it's flaws or quality standard. Their thought was it's better to have a game then none at all. The publisher refused because the decision was final but also they felt that it would have done more harm than good to release it.

I have hope that this is the trend we see instead.

I see what you mean, look at Destiny. The most expensive game ever made or something. Plenty of evidence of how awful the game is, many players and critics slating it for lack of content, lazy game design and troll-ish loot RNG.

But it already has a legion of fanboys defending their purchase banging on about free DLC in the future, completely missing the point.

Sometimes I think these people just want to legitimise their purchase decision and not admit their money is wasted, other times I think the gaming majority actually like how things are and I'm just a dinosaur not 'getting' it.

I dunno, it's a mess. That whole crowd funding scenario isn't making it better in my opinion either. Star Citizen will disappoint many backers I'm sure. Like my original point, throwing cash away on products that don't even exist yet is even more stupid in my opinion.

It's good to hear some are going against the tide, I'd certainly like to be proved wrong.
  • Options
    kristaswiftkristaswift Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Bluegeek

heh, pwe is a chinese based company, it's what they understand best, what they grew up with, censorship. look at any other pwe games and you can see they lost the plot a long time ago. outdated, outmoded...they're still trapped in 2000. you have business people in the NA branch which have no clue about gamers, mmo's or much of anything else that should be required for a business of that type.

small wonder they fall flat on their faces on a regular basis. pretty much why there's no hope for sto. business people don't have the knowledge to handle mmo's...but they certainly have the egos that makes them think they can.
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Actually, on that I have to disagree. The mods here are surprisingly tolerant of what we can say on these forums. Look at all the TRIBBLE Geko gets to endure (why, most of it is royally deserved... oops, I just did it again *g*); but seriously, we're getting a lot of leeway, truly. On most other forums I've been, you find yourself banned long before what we can get away with here.

Just sayin'.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    vivenneanthonyvivenneanthony Member Posts: 1,278 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    stark2k wrote: »
    Truth is, I hate PWE, I hate everything that commie company represent. It is sad they bought STO from ATARI, as I was originally hoping that an American company with real vision would have taken the game. I've been through the game's evolution from day 1, and although Atari wasn't great, what PWE did was convert this game into a hellish form of virtual slavery and addiction.

As a previous poster mentioned, if players would stop feeding this monstrosity with their cash, it can send a loud statement to those in charge. However; We all know it will not happen, simply because of the ip. PWE knew what they had bought, as Americans are pretty much gullible to anything Trek, as is the huge fanbase across the globe, especially in Europe. Look at the obsession with virtual goods, the obsession over the next shiny ship in a shiny lock box, it is like a bad drug.

I have no sympathy for the people who spent hundreds of dollars on lockboxes who then complain why there are should many bugs in the game. It's pretty obvious PWE/Cryptic has no intention to fix major bugs and to put as much monetization in the game to bleed the playerbase wallet. That includes the typical fanboy/fangirl that states the company is always during good. They have the right to name call and label the players but when the players do it. It's wrong.

Know what, Delta Rising is the BEST expansion EVER according to Geko.

My thoughts on that <redacted> <redacted> <redacted>.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with PWE being headquartered in another country. Censoring web content is not uncommon for any business, regardless of where they are from.

As an example, just today I received a package from an Amazon.com supplier. On the invoice/thank you note, there is this text;

"Please take a moment to leave us positive feedback. Before leaving any negative feedback, please contact us. Ensuring you are well cared for is extremely important to us and if your order with us did not satisfy you, we want to know so we can improve."

Believe it or not, most businesses do want to hear how they can improve their product or service. Not allowing people to make posts saying "you suck!" or "your product is pure TRIBBLE!!" all over their internet property doesn't make that any less true.

yes it does make it less true...wtf kind of logic is that? a bad product is a bad product...not being allowed to state the product as bad means there are only GOOD reviews. that's censorship...just because others do it does not make it RIGHT or acceptable.

one of the lamest ways to argue ANY point is to say 'well others do it' especially if that point is for something any sane human being knows is inherently bad.

feedback is required to improve a product, whether it be an mmo or the latest gee whiz widget. if the company refuses to improve then that should be noted in reviews. game companies tried this with contracts to reviewers that forced them (if they wanted an early review copy) to ONLY promote the positive aspects of the game and refrain from any negatives.

this is what cryptic/pwe is attempting. happily it will fail as these forums aren't the only place players get information. cryptic/pwe/amazon/etc all think that consumers only visit THEIR approved sites. that they can control those...in the end the censorship just makes them look like insecure asses as the information is still out there...just not on their approved/controlled pages. and what's on their pages, rainbows and unicorns make (for the more rational consumer) the companies involved in that idiocy appear dishonest in the extreme.
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    ...not being allowed to state the product as bad means there are only GOOD reviews. that's censorship.
    That's also not what is going on by any steatch of the imagination. For example that amazon order statement merely asked that you try going through customer service to resolve an issue before submitting a review. They are not PREVENTING those reviews from being published, only stating a preference which is well within their right to free speech.

And here, we have a private discussion forum which is NOT granted to you free of terms and restrictions. Your rights do not apply [as you thinkthey do] just as they don't apply to news commentators or op-ed columnists. Free speech does NOT make you immune to the reprocussions of violating private agreements. It does NOT remove your responsibility to those who provide you the platform on which you speak. If you want to say something else, find another channel for your opinion or create one yourself. That's your right.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    battykoda0battykoda0 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    And you know what?! The best number is 73. Why? 73 is the 21st prime number. Its mirror, 37, is the 12th and its mirror, 21, is the product of multiplying 7 and 3... and in binary 73 is a palindrome, 1001001, which backwards is 1001001.

You are awesome! :D
    Wow. There is a new KDF Science ship. I'll be!
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Hmm. I figured 73 it was in the Set of Uninteresting Numbers.

It probably still is.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    mackbolan01mackbolan01 Member Posts: 580 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    does any1 remember that they SAID they were going to release more delta content over the next X months ???? not that i can be called a fanboi by any stretch, just asking is all........
  • Options
    edited December 2014
    does any1 remember that they SAID they were going to release more delta content over the next X months ???? not that i can be called a fanboi by any stretch, just asking is all........

No but the fact that they did release another episode after the first release means that they have, in any case, released more DR content outside of the expansion (and if last year is any model you can expect more with the 2nd anniversary).
  • Options
    mrtsheadmrtshead Member Posts: 487 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    yes it does make it less true...wtf kind of logic is that? a bad product is a bad product...not being allowed to state the product as bad means there are only GOOD reviews. that's censorship...just because others do it does not make it RIGHT or acceptable.

one of the lamest ways to argue ANY point is to say 'well others do it' especially if that point is for something any sane human being knows is inherently bad.

Wow.

Try reading that again, only this time try to actually read what was said, not what you felt like angrily responding to. I think you will find that there was a distinction being drawn between wanting "feedback" and "allowing flaming".

For example - shutting down threads that were more about people using increasingly offensive and outrageous "jokes" in an effort to out-snark the other people whining about the game - that's not censorship, that's just good moderation. Heck, most of the people I see can't even agree with each other on what they are angry about, they just feed off the echo chamber's amplifying effect on their anger. How is that valuable feedback?

Second, your bit at the end is both factually incorrect (argument by analogy is not necessarily the strongest logical structure, but it's certainly not one of the weakest - hyperbole and straw man arguments for example, are likely much weaker forms of argument) and flows from problematic assumptions. For starters, censorship is not inherently bad - there are absolutely times when censorship is beneficial, for example the classic "bomb on an airplane" line. You don't get to joke around about that in an airport, because your expression there is likely to cause more harm to society than the harm caused to you by not letting you randomly try to terrify people.

Moreover, you are assuming an absolute stance where none was made. The point wasn't that only positive feedback is allowed, it's that not all feedback is necessarily valuable, nor is it particularly controversial for companies (or really any entities, both collective and individuals) to choose which types of feedback they allow and which they ignore, as well as their right to draw lines and say "This type of language isn't allowed here".
  • Options
    rhongwayrhongway Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    the problem i see it as is that here its a world based on profit and greed, whereas Gnes world had transended all that, yet those who run the background, i.e... devs, marketing,personel dept,ect might not even play the game or like star trek, and therein lies the bones besides the casual players fight to progress. i play another mmo and there i wont even atempt a pug, way too non fun. here was where i actually saw a glimpse of open teamwork in the pve sections, tho as f2p atm, i dont have ships that survive elite setting, and havent had the chance to advance to modded fleet ships, or p2p ships, but i feel ya as your carreer, and thats my plan someday, hope this turns around the way you'd like, seems to me to be only "logical"