test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Who wants a legitimate federation battlecruiser?

papesh1papesh1 Member Posts: 80 Arc User
edited December 2014 in Federation Discussion
Cryptic....It is time the Federation responds to all of its threats by developing a massive ship with firepower to match. A T6 battlecruiser that is the pride of Starfleet. Something to let its enemies know...we are a major power in the galaxy.
Post edited by papesh1 on

Comments

• baelogventurebaelogventure Member Posts: 1,002 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'll take a T6 Galaxy Dreadnought Cruiser with 2410 stylings and the Sheshar layout, kthx.
  • travalliantravallian Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Personally I would tend to agree with the OP. In fact I think it is well beyond time for a proper battlecruiser to stick it's nose out of the barn. Given the continual threats from the borg, the rising threat of a new conflict with the Klingons, who have certainly not sat idle with their designs and the ever present Dominion/Trueway. It certainly does surprise me that the Feds haven't done so already.

There is something to be said, for sticking to your principle's, but sooner or later, the little guy must take down the bullies of the galaxy.

The problem though, is the classic design of the fed ships, does not really lend itself towards this end. A true battlecruiser, is packed full of big guns, and smothered in heavy armour. The Fed design, is rather spindly by comparison. I'm sure some of you wouldn't agree with this assessment, but that doesn't make it any less valid. :D

Although, Having said that, I think the basic design of the Intrepid, would be a viable place to start. With a considerable size and crew increase, you have something to work with. The basic design also has much more usable surface area over that of other designs. You would have to considerably increase the weapon payload and power output as well. But, I would be happy to see something along these lines. I totally love my old school Sovy, but an "Ultimate - supersized" Intrepid would just be cool! b^-^
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment... I am well versed in disappointment, having walked this road a very long time..."
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    travallian wrote: »
    Given the continual threats from the borg, the rising threat of a new conflict with the Klingons, who have certainly not sat idle with their designs and the ever present Dominion/Trueway.

What game are you playing?
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I smell temporal shenangians - that post MUST have been submitted in 2011, but became caught in a time-loop from which it only just emerged.

The Krenim!!!
    edited December 2014
    What game are you playing?

Well to be fair, I was going from the "story" point of view here, but yes, in the reality of it, I do see your point... ;)
    "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment... I am well versed in disappointment, having walked this road a very long time..."
  • cmdrscarletcmdrscarlet Member Posts: 5,137 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'll take a T6 Galaxy Dreadnought Cruiser with 2410 stylings and the Sheshar layout, kthx.

QFT

/10char
  • birzarkbirzark Member Posts: 634 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Do we not have enough fed ships?
    Lets get some balance and add some more Rom and Klink ships before we add to the fed roster ok?
    edited December 2014
    Hmmm... I'm actually with THIS guy on this topic... :D
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I was under the impression that the Avenger is a Federation battlecruiser, and when it goes to T5-U it's still dammed lethal to anything it points its guns at.

Also if you want a crazy powerful cruiser look no further than the Eclipse, it's essentially the next evolution of the Avenger and when it goes T6 Fleet level next year at some point it will be one crazy ship.
    SulMatuul.png
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    I was under the impression that the Avenger is a Federation battlecruiser, and when it goes to T5-U it's still dammed lethal to anything it points its guns at.

Also if you want a crazy powerful cruiser look no further than the Eclipse, it's essentially the next evolution of the Avenger and when it goes T6 Fleet level next year at some point it will be one crazy ship.

But... But... But... The Eclipse can't be powerful at all! It doesn't have the words "Battlecruiser" or "Dreadnought" in its name at all!

I is confuzed!

I want Cryptic to fix this! Add in either "Battlecruiser" or "Dreadnought" into the Eclipse's name then many will now think of the ship for what it already is!

Hell, the Guardian fits the damn bill also.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Troll post to rile up the spittle-screaming KDF purists? Either that or someone REALLY hasn't been paying attention to the last year-and-a-half and has no idea what makes for an effective battlecruiser?
    edited December 2014
    edalgo wrote: »
    I say they make a Sovereign-X variant!

Why stop with one x?

Let's go Vin Diesel and have a Sovereign-TRIBBLE!
    XzRTofz.gif
  • ltdata96ltdata96 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Just one word: Typhoon
  • rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Why do we need a fed battlecruiser? Just let our fed have a KDF one.

Literally, I mean. I want my fed character to be able to have a KDF ship. Even if it's limited to just one ship and you have to jump through hoops to get it. I'm Rank4 in diplomacy (I ground out my dues) and I'm a hero of the KDF and we're all now friends and realize our prior fighting was petty.

As a great reward for my saving both Earth and Qonos in the same mission, I should get a cross-faction pass to get any ship I want on my fed (and same for my KDF).
  • rmy1081rmy1081 Member Posts: 2,840 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The avenger and eclipse are really really good. I know the eclipse doesn't have battlecruiser in its name but it does have the battlecruiser mastery like the avenger. Even with only 3 tac console slots it can do amazing DPS because of its intel powers.
    edited December 2014
    ltdata96 wrote: »
    Just one word: Typhoon

Would you believe Fed ships already exist at T6 with the BOFF layout similar to your Typhoon pic in your sig as well as a better Console layout? Or a far nimbler, harder hitting version that still can be made tough as nails?

Or are Feds really that gullible to believe that the words "Battlecruiser" and "Dreadnought" in a name really make it powerful and sturdy?
    XzRTofz.gif
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Or are Feds really that gullible to believe that the words "Battlecruiser" and "Dreadnought" in a name really make it powerful and sturdy?

Was this a rhetorical question? :confused:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • hyperionx09hyperionx09 Member Posts: 1,709 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The Eclipse is already a powerful battlecruiser. The Guardian can also be considered one with how flexible it is.

But my wallet wouldn't mind a proper T6 Battleship (Typhoon) or a new T6 Dreadnought (Jupiter or Guardian-X). Heck, I'd pay for them up front.

The Devs did tease the possibility of a Guardian-X to replace the Galaxy-X a few times, and they haven't quite ruled out the Typhoon and Jupiter either.

Heck, I'd even settle for a T6 Intel Not!Vengeance copy that is basically a scaled up Avenger/Guardian hybrid bigger than the Odyssey, in full T6 regalia and the Avenger's exclusive skins (not like Cryptic hasn't closely copied before; see the Narada and the Adapted Battlecruiser).
  • mimey2mimey2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Troll post to rile up the spittle-screaming KDF purists? Either that or someone REALLY hasn't been paying attention to the last year-and-a-half and has no idea what makes for an effective battlecruiser?

Why would this anger, to use your words, 'spittle-screaming KDF purists'?

At this point we realize that the KDF and Romulan factions exist only so that anything of value can be eventually hauled over to the Fed-side in the next bow-tied (see, I'm being festive) lockbox they come up with.

Also, as others have said to the OP...Avenger? Does it count for anything anymore?

Since we're demanding a new Fed ship, might as well be an Excelsior, as that is my favorite Fed ship. Give it all the advantages, and none of the disadvantages.
    I remain empathetic to the concerns of my community, but do me a favor and lay off the god damn name calling and petty remarks. It will get you nowhere.
    I must admit, respect points to Trendy for laying down the law like that.
  • proteus22proteus22 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    how about a new heavy destroyer size of a small cruiser but loaded for bear and instead of a phaser lavce whixh has been done to death maybe a rapid fire heavy tr launcher or the point defense module refited from armitage that spams quantumm or transphasic torpedoes. but really in the canon the exploer class was the the big boys so to speak in the next generation era.
  • ginobaldelli823ginobaldelli823 Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You know the Constitution Class was considered a Federation Battle Cruiser. (star trek 3 I think is what im quoting here)

Make it Tier6, 5 fore, 4 aft, built in ablative generator, sub system targeting, sensor analysis, Primary and Secondary warp core's ect ect ect ect.... yeah im dreaming
  • breadandcircusesbreadandcircuses Member Posts: 2,355 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Why stop with one x?

Let's go Vin Diesel and have a Sovereign-TRIBBLE!

Only if it has an alternative Ice Cube variant... :P
    Ym9x9Ji.png
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    I do not like Geko ether.
    iconians wrote: »
    With each passing day I wonder if I stepped into an alternate reality. The Cubs win the world series. Donald Trump is President. Britain leaves the EU. STO gets a dedicated PvP season. Engineers are "out of control" in STO.​​
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    mimey2 wrote: »
    Why would this anger, to use your words, 'spittle-screaming KDF purists'?

It was more an adjective describing specific players who get riled up at the drop of a hat, not an All The KDF thing so much as the particular ones that, on seeing a thread like this, would descend like piranha for page after page of full-on ranting about the EEEEEEEVIIIIIIIL Feds (and every single Fed, no exceptions) out to get them. Hence thinking it was a targeted troll thread, specifically to stir them up. They used to be drawn like flies to this kind of thing (think about all the cloaking threads over the years), and I"m honestly surprised I don't see them here now. I guess they've moved on to other games?
    edited December 2014
    Only if it has an alternative Ice Cube variant... :P

I'll be down with that, too. If that happens, I'd say it was a good day.
    shpoks wrote: »
    Was this a rhetorical question? :confused:

It needed to be said because there's a lot of ignorance as to what's available to the Feds. There's some very capable selections to be had even sticking only to Fed only ships. And it's not like the solid choices from T5 are all the sudden useless ships.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    First things first, let's give the KDF and Roms some halfway decent science ships and fix the Galaxy-R already. We Feds already have more ships than the other two factions put together, including two perfectly good battlecruiser-style ships as has been previously noted.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • jellico1jellico1 Member Posts: 2,719
    edited December 2014
    I dont see anything really wrong with some of the fed cruisers some are quite good and some are pretty worthless

The problem is SRO's Feds/Klink's being limited to only 1/2 or 3 tac SRO's from the romulan embassy cuts down the DPS especially the FTP playerbase drastically depending on the tac BO slotting of the ship

Now add in the T6 intell BO nonsense ( overide safetys/SS2 or 3 and the gap is even more huge

Consider the large amount of FTP Feds and the huge DPS requirement for adv /Elite STFs and now we come to the current DR problems

The Gap between the Romulan and Fed FTP player bases is so huge in DPS its comical

Cryptic should consider a system that measures a players potential DPS when they Q for content and set the number of players to match a certian level of DPS

For example if 50,000 team DPS is required for a STF Q and 1 20k and 6-5K players Q-up 7 players will enter the STF filling the 50K stf requirement

A system like this would also stop elite teams from making a mockery of content by bringing 5 OP setups into content that isnt designed for ships of that power

It would limit there numbers or place them in Elite content to match there Elite status

pretty much a no brainer and the only way to even attempt to balence a system lik StO has
    Jellico....Engineer ground.....Da'val Romulan space Sci
    Saphire.. Science ground......Ko'el Romulan space Tac
    Leva........Tactical ground.....Koj Romulan space Eng

JJ-Verse will never be Canon or considered Lore...It will always be JJ-Verse
  • captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 934 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    papesh1 wrote: »
    Cryptic....It is time the Federation responds to all of its threats by developing a massive ship with firepower to match. A T6 battlecruiser that is the pride of Starfleet. Something to let its enemies know...we are a major power in the galaxy.

You have completely missed the point of Starfleet. Well done.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You have completely missed the point of Starfleet. Well done.

To be fair, someone who doesn't know a lot about Star Trek aside from STO, which is an arcade shooter game emphasizing nothing but war and fighting, wouldn't know better.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It needed to be said because there's a lot of ignorance as to what's available to the Feds. There's some very capable selections to be had even sticking only to Fed only ships. And it's not like the solid choices from T5 are all the sudden useless ships.

I was about to say something, however this old post from angrytarg sums up what I was about to say nicely:
    angrytarg wrote: »
    HQroeLu.jpg