test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Given the state of affairs, lifetime expectancy?

Comments

• cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think at the current rate it will shut down this April or May.

lol I would tend to agree, but let's see how badly they f*** up the anniversary event....because you know they will.
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I think most people feel Lucas managed to debase SW all by himself with the second trilogy. :)

Shhhhhhhh, we don't talk about that.....ever. They don't exist....at least that's what my SW friend says...
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think at the current rate it will shut down this April or May.

Meh. I think they've got airbrakes in place. If they start into a spiral, they'll radically reduce all the grinds and launch a Borg Cooperative lockbox.

Then it will be T6 Mirror ships and a mirror TOS interior pack.

If that doesn't work they'll talk CBS into a T6 Connie lockbox and the game will last at least six months on that revenue alone.
  • equinox976equinox976 Member Posts: 2,301 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    I think most people feel Lucas managed to debase SW all by himself with the second trilogy. :) At the end of the day JJ cannot do any worse then what Lucas did to the series, IMO.

Unless of course he creates a lightsabre with a completely redundant hand-guard :D

But thats a whole other can of worms :D
    edited December 2014
    (1999 that how long everquest one been around.. And it is another doom thread because you want to ruin a game and want it to die when some are having fun.. .

I disagree. And he is right ALL things come to an end, humans, planets, galaxies, and eventually the universe, regardless if we are having fun or not (I was still enjoying TNG when it came to an end with 'all good things'.

It is not doom to ask if its still worth buying a lifetime sub - particularly given the recent actions of Cryptic - rather, it is prudence.

Anyhow, to answer the OP's question - I would say the game is in no immediate danger of shutting down, but I would not recommend buying a lifetime sub until the current negative issues surrounding the game are resolved (if they ever are).

P.S: You might want to reference Ultima Online or MUD (1 and 2) as the longest running MMO's rather than Everquest :P
    edited December 2014
    Redacted - as I do not wish to be mean :)
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    equinox976 wrote: »
    Unless of course he creates a lightsabre with a completely redundant hand-guard :D

But thats a whole other can of worms :D
    I think I agree with Stephen Colbert on that: http://thecolbertreport.cc.com/videos/umsrnb/lightsaber-controversy :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • kozar2kozar2 Member Posts: 602 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    To answer OP: It depends on how long Al is around.
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,764 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    probably tomorrow........ no, wait, make that in two hours.....no, in five minutes....... probably in five minutes
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    STO will die 2 weeks after Champions.
    GwaoHAD.png
  • hawku001xhawku001x Member Posts: 10,764 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    wow its cloud... Omi slash the game to pices :P oh cloud please sign your name here.. On this paper slice it to bits :P

alright everyone, let's mosey :D
  • ghyudtghyudt Member Posts: 1,112 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well, anyone who leaves an answer isn't even qualified to make a guess. None of you work for the company, none of you are game developers, none of you are game designers, etc. So, anything said here is pure speculation, and frankly its idiotic. But I can give an accurate estimate. The game will last longer than this thread.
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    ghyudt wrote: »
    Well, anyone who leaves an answer isn't even qualified to make a guess. None of you work for the company, none of you are game developers, none of you are game designers, etc. So, anything said here is pure speculation, and frankly its idiotic. But I can give an accurate estimate. The game will last longer than this thread.

I don't know. If it becomes a meme thread like the doom thread (RIP), it might give the game a run for it's money. :P
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • mainmarine20mainmarine20 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Does not matter if we know when it will or will not end. We do know that it will end. And if you can't see that the design choices Cryptic is making have been idiotic, you must live in a small bubble.

Thanks for your comment.
  • mainmarine20mainmarine20 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Tell me then you think people knew they were going to shut star wars down... Nope they did not.. It lasted awhile they shut it down because the new star wars came out... So he is right no one knows. When the new star wars game came out they were very unhappy some don't play it..

Yes he is correct that no one knows but everyone knows that it will end. No harm in getting feedback from everyone on what time they feel it will happen. Given the state of the game currently.

Thanks for your comment.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Yes he is correct that no one knows but everyone knows that it will end. No harm in getting feedback from everyone on what time they feel it will happen. Given the state of the game currently.

Thanks for your comment.
    Unfortunately talking to the same 200 people who are angry on the forum every day is not really getting feedback from "everyone."

Earlier today I was reading a thread from someone angry because they had purchased $180.00 worth of Zen today and then the security feature kicked in to block them from buying more until they verified their identity. Does that angry person count as someone who thinks STO is in a bad state? :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    they have a new prize in the R&D packs of a Elachi Sheshar Dreadnought Cruiser i will assume that say 1 in 10 packs has this prize, judging from the amount of players who won this prize just in the short time i have played today there must be 1000s of these c-store items alone that have sold and at $10 a pop thats no small amount.

i have also had a look at the dilithium exchange and from the amount of zen changing hands that seems to be just as busy as ever.

there may be some players who are withholding cash but for the vast majority it apears to be business as usual from the evidance i have seen.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    yeah i am hoping i get it.. My wife gave me 20 bucks for it :(.. if i don't oh well i tried..

good luck with that, hope you win.

i meant to add one of PW`s other games champions online is nowhere near as popular as STO and only has a few hundred active users and they still keep that going although it may only get a small amount of support or updates so im guessing STO will be arround for a long while yet as even with the players that may have stopped playing the player base of sto is massive in comparison.

when you consider that a map instance hold arround 50 players on average and then you consider that the winter zone has been arround 200 instances whenever i looked thats besides players that may have been elsewhere in game thats at least 10000 active players in game at any one time.

thats apart from the amount of players i see in other areas outside the winter zone you could probably add a fair number to that and you would not be far wrong.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014

Even if a dev, PWE executive, or CBS executive posted on these forums about the end of STO, it would still be a guess. A guess based on data unavailable to us, but still just a guess.

PWE has a total of 15 games available with only 2 games cancelled. This is a much better record than other MMO companies like NCSoft. NCSoft has cancelled 9 games and about as many games as PWE. Based on that, PWE will only cancel STO if they lose the license or STO is losing them too much money.
  • leceterleceter Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Sorry, but all of you are wrong!

I see the new Elachi Dreadnought being obtained once/twice a minute this day, between all the other lock box ships.
    At this rate of money spending by the players, this game has a long and vital future for its investors and will never ever go bankrupt, except on purpose.
    I conclusively suggest to buy a lifetime sub, if you want to keep playing. I think, you cant do anything wrong with this.
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    leceter wrote: »
    Sorry, but all of you are wrong!

I see the new Elachi Dreadnought being obtained once/twice a minute this day, between all the other lock box ships.
    At this rate of money spending by the players, this game has a long and vital future for its investors and will never ever go bankrupt, except on purpose.
    I conclusively suggest to buy a lifetime sub, if you want to keep playing. I think, you cant do anything wrong with this.

LOL. Those announcements are known to be Cryptic trolling the playerbase to give a sense of urgency......

Half the time you search for the winners = 'Player cannot be found'

STO is pretty much off life support. Doctors have switched off the machine, so I for one do not recommend any investment in a bloated corpse at this point unless you interested in necrophilia.
  • jkersjkers Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    you must be a mortition....that is just soooooo...sick....really??
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jkers wrote: »
    you must be a mortition....that is just soooooo...sick....really??

Too much LOL?
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think a minimum of 2 years is to be expected, but probably much longer than that.

If you look at Champions Online, I think you can expet a much longer life time than just 2 years, even if things turn worse for STO and it starts losing players.

Champions Online is not really doing great* - it has lower players numbers and all. But the consequence is not that the game is no longer around. It just has a smaller team working on it, and thus sees fewer and smaller updates than Startrek Online. But it's still around, you can still get stuff, you can play the game, and if you had a lifetime subscription, you would still get your monthly Zen and access to all the perks.

*) Maybe the description is not really good. It is simply a smaller game. It is still profitable, otherwise it would have been closed.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • tribblenationtribblenation Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I saw this subject and just had to respond. First of all, I do not claim to be a mind reader, nor any insider information to PWE or Cryptic (I am not a plant or apologist for either, you just have to make up your own mind about my allegiances). What I do have is some experience in the area of playing an mmo that made such a drastic turn in gameplay as to alienate a majority of the playerbase...if it sounds familiar then you can probably guess the game was Star Wars Galaxies. Delta Rising, from my perspective, is just as controversial as the aforementioned games' release, the NGE (New Game Enhancements). Regardless of the original intent (which was more or less a poor attempt by Sony to compete with Blizzard), the NGE caused an uproar by the SWG community that to this day I believe is unparalleled in the gaming world. Despite my extreme reservations about the update, I was one of the gamers who stuck with it to the end (please note I did not say the 'bitter end'). My point is that despite the mass exodus and alienated remaining players, the game survived for about 7 years after the abomination...that is correct, the game had a longer life after the update than it did up to that point.

What I am trying to say is never underestimate the staying power of a video game, especially one with an ip such as Star Wars or even Star Trek.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I saw this subject and just had to respond. First of all, I do not claim to be a mind reader, nor any insider information to PWE or Cryptic (I am not a plant or apologist for either, you just have to make up your own mind about my allegiances). What I do have is some experience in the area of playing an mmo that made such a drastic turn in gameplay as to alienate a majority of the playerbase...if it sounds familiar then you can probably guess the game was Star Wars Galaxies. Delta Rising, from my perspective, is just as controversial as the aforementioned games' release, the NGE (New Game Enhancements). Regardless of the original intent (which was more or less a poor attempt by Sony to compete with Blizzard), the NGE caused an uproar by the SWG community that to this day I believe is unparalleled in the gaming world. Despite my extreme reservations about the update, I was one of the gamers who stuck with it to the end (please note I did not say the 'bitter end'). My point is that despite the mass exodus and alienated remaining players, the game survived for about 7 years after the abomination...that is correct, the game had a longer life after the update than it did up to that point.

What I am trying to say is never underestimate the staying power of a video game, especially one with an ip such as Star Wars or even Star Trek.

NGE was a far more substantive change to to Star Wars Galaxies. From moving to a flexible multi-profession system to one with fixed professions, from moving a turn-based combat into a real time system and what not. The scope of changes NGE brought was enermous.

Though, yeah - even that allowed still 7 years of further gaming. Though I am not sure how well sub-based games and F2P games compare in this.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • cbrjwrrcbrjwrr Member Posts: 2,782 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    In theory, STO could last indefinitely - it has a supportive (if vocal) playerbase who will spend vast amounts of cash on it and want it to succeed, and is based on a franchise of worldwide awareness and importance.

You would need to be quite stupid to f**k STO up.

Now, the problem is beyond the skin there is very little Trek in STO - and that means you have to consider it as a game, not a Trek feeling thing.

And, as a game, it is seriously f**ked. Even before you consider the competition.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Welll, even though I've had a head cold for a week now, I'm still in pretty good shape for a 56 year old guy.

I'm hoping I've still got another 35-40 years left in this hide of mine, but I'd settle for another 25.

...wait...???...

... did you mean the game???

:o
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Difficult question to answer. I've seen people stating this game won't last a year since day 1. In fact it was my listening to these people for 18 months that kept me from going LTS. However I think they could have been right except they forgot one very important aspect, the IP. Star Trek isn't just another IP, it's a phenomenon, it's a genre all it's own, it's tightly controlled by the IP owners who don't let it stray too far off course.

I think the only way it would actually be forced to shut down is if a better version was available. Strangely enough it's STO's mediocre success that probably prevents larger studios from having a go. Those other studios would also be aware of the incredibly loyal ST fan base and how easy it is to TRIBBLE them off, I'm sure this would be a factor in their decision making process.

However I could see this game being bought out by a larger company should there be a massive resurgence of interest in the IP, for example after the next movie if CBS announce a new series with good marketing and link it to the STO story.

So I don't think it's shutting down any time soon, the Devs aren't stupid, the company knows how to maximise balanced profit against player longevity, they do seem to be walking a knife edge though, pushing people to the limit and there is much they could do to improve the situation whilst still maintaining a profitable game.

Off topic for a second, what's this woobal thing? If you are making a reference to the last Blackadder episode and what he says, you've got it wrong. It's actually wibble.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Since I have no actual data and no real expertise in online gaming management, I can't give any answer that a magical 8-ball couldn't give just as well. I would assume the same goes for pretty much everyone here. :P