test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Given the state of affairs, lifetime expectancy?

mainmarine20mainmarine20 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
Given the changes that have happened post-DR and even before, how much time can STO affectedly sustain a playbase that keep it afloat financial wise before no one is playing the game buying things to keep the game from going bankrupt like many other MMOs?

NOTE: Please keep it CLEAN and respectful. I am trying to get feedback from people who have invested heavily into the game and would like to know from them where they think the game is heading in the future. This is NOT a dig at Cryptic/Perfect World. I am not directing this at any specific party.

UPDATE1: Yes I know some of you think this is a DOOM thread but it isn't. We all know the game will end eventually. The point of this is to get feedback from people as to how long they think the game has left before the game does shutdown given the state of the game currently.
Post edited by mainmarine20 on

Comments

• westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,281 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Well seeing as how Sto itself is actually doing well I'd say several more years.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'd say 2 years give or take, assuming absolutely nothing changes in terms of management, quality, and direction.
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Going by what iv seen of my fleet mates and friends in the past 2 weeks not long, lucky if i see 2 or 3 on line anymore.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Actually, it's just a question of when will people stop putting money into this cash grab.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Hard to predict the future is. The greedy side clouds everything.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • mainmarine20mainmarine20 Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Oh look a Doom thread. And yes asking people to speculate on how long the game can survive is a doom thread.

Read the FCT, theres an official thread for this nonsense.

I will respectfully disagree with you. Doom threads are not a thing. STO will no longer exist in the future and I am trying to get an idea on how long it will be before it happens.

Thanks for your comment.
  • ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Given the massive leaps forward in systems, perks and general fun that other MMOs are experiencing, and how intransigent the management seems on dulling the blow of Delta Rising, it would not surprise me at all if DR turns out to be the end of the line for STO.

I'll make the prediction that STO won't survive to the 3rd JJ Trek movie premeire.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    hypl wrote: »
    I'd say 2 years give or take, assuming absolutely nothing changes in terms of management, quality, and direction.

I'd agree with this. 18 months to 2 years. That lengthens and gets more profitable for Cryptic for every positive thing that happens. It shortens and gets less profitable for every huge negative. But where things are at now? Plenty of room to repair things. But not indefinitely sustainable either.

Now if the question were, "How long until everyone with a sarcastic forum sig quits?" without relaxing the design philosophy.

I'd say about six months.

And I'd wager the people who are happy or indifferent are more likely to be people who don't spend money. Or, if they do, they have far above average incomes and so they don't feel the pinch as hard.

I think, generally, the heart of negativity is a demo that spends a bigger percentage of their annual income on the game than people who are less negative.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Oh look a Doom thread. And yes asking people to speculate on how long the game can survive is a doom thread.

Read the FCT, theres an official thread for this nonsense.

lol :D No there isn't. The new upstart "super moderator" killed that thread in one swift blow. :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I have not been on the forums in a few days, and the frist thing I see is a Doom thread lol

Well nothing new here, I'll check back in a week or 2
    GwaoHAD.png
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The thing is that no one knows how long STO will last. Many things could be the reason why STO shuts down its servers. There have been two MMOs that I have played where they experienced server shutdown, Tabula Rasa and City of Heroes. Tabula Rasa had too high development costs and City of Heroes was the whims of NCSoft executives. As long as STO is making a decent enough profit and keeping CBS content, then STO could last 10 to 20 years. However, if CBS releases a new Star Trek series set after Nemesis, then it could mean the end of STO. Although, lots of us won't care since we would be getting our Star Trek fix.
  • stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Now if the question were, "How long until everyone with a sarcastic forum sig quits?" without relaxing the design philosophy.

Funny that you should mention this...

I've been playing Marvel Heroes for the past 2 days. I've also redownloaded EVE online and started another trial account just so i can play around in the starter area for 2 weeks. And i saw on yahoo.com that EA has released Simcity 2000 for free on Origin. So i downloaded that too and will be playing it over the next few days.

I think i've pretty much said TRIBBLE it you can keep the Breen Carrier, Breen Warship and Breen Raiders and that was only after 5 days of doing WW stuff. Not really feeling the urge to log onto STO to play right now, or even log on to refine my dil. I mean wtf am i gonna spend it on? upgrade gear that isnt really isnt even needed to do instances i'm sick and tired of running or to do a new ground BZ that i dont like because the old ground BZ is better?
  • ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    stonewbie wrote: »
    Funny that you should mention this...

I've been playing Marvel Heroes for the past 2 days. I've also redownloaded EVE online and started another trial account just so i can play around in the starter area for 2 weeks. And i saw on yahoo.com that EA has released Simcity 2000 for free on Origin. So i downloaded that too and will be playing it over the next few days.

I think i've pretty much said TRIBBLE it you can keep the Breen Carrier, Breen Warship and Breen Raiders and that was only after 5 days of doing WW stuff. Not really feeling the urge to log onto STO to play right now, or even log on to refine my dil. I mean wtf am i gonna spend it on? upgrade gear that isnt really isnt even needed to do instances i'm sick and tired of running or to do a new ground BZ that i dont like because the old ground BZ is better?

Sounds like me.

SWTOR just released Shadow of Revan. New content to take my characters through.

DCUO just launched the Holiday Event, with a whole new set of hideout decorations for Christmas, based on Blue Lanterns.

I stop by here just to check the forums, mostly when eating dinner. Otherwise, I have plenty to do elsewhere that is more entertaining.

Really, I only play STO when I simply can't resist the urge for some space combat.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I'd agree with this. 18 months to 2 years. That lengthens and gets more profitable for Cryptic for every positive thing that happens. It shortens and gets less profitable for every huge negative. But where things are at now? Plenty of room to repair things. But not indefinitely sustainable either.

And I'd wager the people who are happy or indifferent are more likely to be people who don't spend money. Or, if they do, they have far above average incomes and so they don't feel the pinch as hard.

I think, generally, the heart of negativity is a demo that spends a bigger percentage of their annual income on the game than people who are less negative.

I agree with this, but that's going with the assumption that nothing gets worse. And honestly, given the direction over the past two years, I think that at best they'll stagnate at where they are now (in terms of decisions made about the game), and at worst they will shoot themselves in the foot.

Perhaps we should create an unofficial "doom clock" for the game. Right now I'd put at 18 months to midnight. :D
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • priestofsin420priestofsin420 Member Posts: 419
    edited December 2014
    How long until everyone with a sarcastic forum signature quits? Never. They'll never quit. They're so invested in the game, that they continue to post on the forums and create signatures, and make petitions, etc. They'll never leave, they're far too heavily invested, and they care too much.

How long until the game is taken offline? Well, you'd have to look at how long PWE traditionally gives games to become profitable once again before pulling the plug.
    Sardak (Science Officer): Captain of a 23k DPS R'Mor Temporal Science Vessel, R.R.W. Vathos
    Odan Brota (Science Officer): Captain of a 28k DPS Scryer Intel Science Vessel, U.S.S. Kepler
    Patiently waiting for a Romulan Science Vessel
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    lol :D No there isn't. The new upstart "super moderator" killed that thread in one swift blow. :D

Sighs, there's another mod like that? Oh well...the forums will get worse now. I'd always understood PWE/Cryptic allowed that single thread to continue to stop an overflow of threads.

Sometimes decisions are made without proper understanding.
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
  • vesterengvestereng Member Posts: 2,252 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    As terrible as Delta Rising is, it doesn't mean it's struggling financially or struggling in the eyes of the developers.

We simply do not know that.

Remember, every upgraded ship costs 10 x t6 c-store ships. That can make uo for a lot...

And if we assume the formula is working - that people are indeed willing to mine patrols for 4 months, well then it's as simple as release a new set of passives (no animations, no work just copy-paste some numbers) and tie them to some new patrols.

In that case you don't need queues, you don't need other people and even if you don't have the imagination for it yet, we also won't need the reputation system.
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,536 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    I agree with this, but that's going with the assumption that nothing gets worse. And honestly, given the direction over the past two years, I think that at best they'll stagnate at where they are now (in terms of decisions made about the game), and at worst they will shoot themselves in the foot.

Perhaps we should create an unofficial "doom clock" for the game. Right now I'd put at 18 months to midnight. :D

Oooh! OOOOH! Please do and make it possible to use for signatures. :D
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The license supposedly lasts into 2018. Whether either party will want to continue after that is subjective. CBS might want a bigger cut of the pie or Cryptic might just be sick of the whole thing and turn STO into a generic space game. Either way I think it will last until the license comes up for renewal.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • sekritagentsekritagent Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think we've always known this game won't make it to the year 2020.

There's several things STO has against it:
    • STIFF competition from other, newer games
    • No new Star Trek on TV, might be a new film in the next couple years
    • A not-great reputation amongst non-die hard Trekkies
    • Near exhaustion of the canon ship rosters for Federation, Klingon, and Romulan
    • A playerbase that's increasingly burned out by the grind and "infinite progression" philosophy
    • Continued lack of new content
    • A design philosophy of keeping new content/fleshing out the STO universe to BARE minimum
    • A longstanding fixation on systems, numbers, and mechanics that cause needless player friction
    • A stunningly uninformed design approach of neither understanding their own overcomplicated systems and nor listening to constructive player input
    • Game design based heavily around non-interactive time gates which encourages you to log off

They might extend it a bit by releasing a Cardassian faction (we might even see a Borg Cooperative faction if things get desperate) but that's going to be about it for big expansions.

I see this going the way of the dodo as soon as the license expires, assuming it's not a perpetual (haha, get it??) license. If that's 2018, there's your answer.
    Delta Rising is the best expansion ever and the players love it! No, seriously! ...Why are you laughing so hard? :(
  • kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    STO actually has little in the way of competition.
    In the Star Trek games market there's pretty much no competition.
    In the regular space combat game market, most newer space combat games are not nearly as casual friendly and most appear to play more like space fighter pilot games than space ship games.

All in all, until Cryptic and STO get more competition in these areas, STO will continue to earn enough money to get by. As such, they will continue to ignore players concerns and take the game in ludicrous directions. So... about 4 more years I would say. If they make it to 2020, I'll be extremely surprised.

*The bolded text is the reason I can't find a game to replace STO. If I wanted to play a fighter pilot game, I would play a more realistic modern one not a futuristic space one.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Given the massive leaps forward in systems, perks and general fun that other MMOs are experiencing, and how intransigent the management seems on dulling the blow of Delta Rising, it would not surprise me at all if DR turns out to be the end of the line for STO.

I'll make the prediction that STO won't survive to the 3rd JJ Trek movie premeire.

Correction---JJA is no longer involved with that franchise.
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • xaramanxaraman Member Posts: 291 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    There's really only a couple of ways that you can increase the life expectancy of this game:

1) Shovel out new content as quick as you can (and shovel out events in between). At the moment, cryptic aren't going fast enough to maintain this. We should be seeing new episodes just after Xmas, but I think it will be March before we see new content and there's not enough events to keep people interested after QWW.

2) Make PvP a larger part of the game.

The last game I played was sort of similar to the way STO is now at end game; repetitive grind to upgrade gear or gain new skills. The only way it made the grind less boring was the PvP element. Balanced PvP queues with team strategy and decent reward. Balanced, in so far as they used (or i believe they did) a gear scoring system so it was unlikely (but not impossible) to be put up against overpowered competitors. Strategy, in so far as it's not simply a grand slam kill everything match, not relying on pure DPS to win and then decent rewards (it doesn't have to be dili).

With this system, they made a very dynamic PvP element to the game. Yes, of course you'd go to one match and be facepalming all the time, but a lot of the time you could have decent fun without having to out-dps someone. Healers, tanks and CC could mean something here.

I know I'd like to see something like this. All I do at the moment is log on, do reps, do doffs and then do a couple of PuGs (BD and CCA) to get the marks I need. It usually takes less than an hour. If there was something dynamic, like decent PvP queues, it might keep me on for longer and in return, I'd do more PvE pugs too (while I wait on cd).

Cheers!
    edited December 2014
    truewarper wrote: »
    Correction---JJA is no longer involved with that franchise.
    He is still and EP and he still gets paid; as well as having base approval of everything done to his version of Star Trek.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • truewarpertruewarper Member Posts: 929 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    He is still and EP and he still gets paid; as well as having base approval of everything done to his version of Star Trek.

What a leech....ugh
    52611496918_3c42b8bab8.jpg
    Departing from Sol *Earth* by Carlos A Smith,on Flickr
    SPACE---The Last and Great Frontier. A 14th-year journey
    Vna res, una mens, unum cor et anima una. Cetera omnia, somnium est.
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,865 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I will respectfully disagree with you. Doom threads are not a thing. STO will no longer exist in the future and I am trying to get an idea on how long it will be before it happens.

Thanks for your comment.

Seems like a Doom thread to me, masked in this question, the question you ask is nonsense because no one knows when the game will shut down...no one except the devs if the game has plans to shut down soon...which I don't imagine that is the case.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
    edited December 2014
    truewarper wrote: »
    What a leech....ugh
    I do not consider him the leech. I consider Paramount the fool for giving him that much control over their IP. That is the whole reason CBS told him to "go to hell" when JJ wanted to make his version of the Enterprise the only version and to have CBS remove the traditional Connie.
  • ussprometheus79ussprometheus79 Member Posts: 727 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »

He's a talentless hack....I feel sorry for those fans of another space franchise...it's their turn to have their beloved franchise debased. :/
    If you've come to the forums to complain about the AFK system, it's known to be bugged at the moment.
    edited December 2014
    He's a talentless hack....I feel sorry for those fans of another space franchise...it's their turn to have their beloved franchise debased. :/
    I think most people feel Lucas managed to debase SW all by himself with the second trilogy. :) At the end of the day JJ cannot do any worse then what Lucas did to the series, IMO.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I think at the current rate it will shut down this April or May.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."