test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

We can wear winter clothes anywhere...

Comments

• jornadojornado Member Posts: 918 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    kiralyn wrote: »
    Yeah, whenever I see someone trying to "Oh, we're too serious for that!" Star Trek, I think about all those wacko costumes that Theiss did in the original series. :rolleyes:

And the amount of wardrobe malfunctions that those costumes entailed.

A day on the TOS set was closer to a visit to a gentlemens club than to a business meeting. Unless you hire a stripper for your business meetings.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    jornado wrote: »
    And the amount of wardrobe malfunctions that those costumes entailed.

A day on the TOS set was closer to a visit to a gentlemens club than to a business meeting. Unless you hire a stripper for your business meetings.

Taking notes for my next business meeting...
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • qziqzaqziqza Member Posts: 1,044 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    protogoth wrote: »
    The simple truth:
    Some people like to mind everyone else's business and tell them how they should (and how they should not) dress, how they should (and should not) play the game, how they should (and should not) think, what belief system they should (and should not) affirm, etc. Their usual excuse is "THINK OF THE CHILDREN!" but this is a red herring and we all know it.

Erm, i dont think anyone is being forced into what they can or cant wear off duty. What they are saying is..

a. it isn't appropriate to wear certain things in certain areas.

or

b. its only appropriate to wear certain thing in certain areas.

Kinda like life in general. By todays standards, you dont generally wear clubbing gear or bikinis to the office, even on mufty days, smart casual as a rule. You certainly wouldnt wear clubbing gear or bikinis to head office. So I fail to see the need for your 'soap box and megaphone' I see no excuses, forceful directives or agendas being made, it is just a basic, sensible dress code, that sits comfortably within the IP.
    tYld1gu.gif?1
    TOS style icons used with the kind permission of irvinis.deviantart.com ©2013-2015
  • protogothprotogoth Member Posts: 2,369 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    lianthelia wrote: »
    Why is wearing bikinis everywhere such a big deal? I mean I can't really see a logical explanation other than so people can get their rocks off somewhere besides Risa.

I've challenged many times including in this thread and no one has shown me the evidence I've been looking for...yet jackets are common place.

Why? It's a matter of personal choice, that's why.
    qziqza wrote: »
    Erm, i dont think anyone is being forced into what they can or cant wear off duty. What they are saying is..

a. it isn't appropriate to wear certain things in certain areas.

or

b. its only appropriate to wear certain thing in certain areas.

Kinda like life in general. By todays standards, you dont generally wear clubbing gear or bikinis to the office, even on mufty days, smart casual as a rule. You certainly wouldnt wear clubbing gear or bikinis to head office. So I fail to see the need for your 'soap box and megaphone' I see no excuses, forceful directives or agendas being made, it is just a basic, sensible dress code, that sits comfortably within the IP.

A. Who determines that it's not "appropriate"? (Hint: The answer is not "Cryptic" or "PWE" or even "CBS," because you are the one making this assertion about what is and is not "appropriate.") On what basis do they come to this determination? What are the implications if they go the other way and embrace more freedom of choice? Moralists need to learn one simple fact: If you don't like it, then you don't have to do it, but you have no right to prohibit others from doing it.

B. I believe that many would be satisfied if the swimwear were simply available in some places off Risa, as has been requested several times. A player's ship interior, Club 47 (and the bar in Starfleet Academy, if we want to be consistent), the bar in First City, the balcony at New Romulus Command, Drozana Station, and Fleet Holdings are hardly "inappropriate" areas for this sort of attire. Granted, restricting to Club 47 (and the bar in Starfleet Academy), the bar in First City, and the balcony at New Romulus Command might be more work than the Devs want to do, so a compromise is possible there: all of ESD (and Starfleet Academy), all of First City, and all of New Romulus Command. And while we're on the subject, why can Clubwear be used on ESD and First City, but not in New Romulus Command? Oh, right, we Romulans, famed (or notorious, depending on who you ask) for ROMULAN ALE, don't get a bar or club (except on our warbirds) for some unfathomable reason.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    protogoth, you may not like it, but that's not how society works.

But I didn't come here to participate in endless and pointless debates, I came here to say:
    nabreeki wrote: »
    Lol at this entire thread.

....aaaand seems nabreeki has beat me to it. :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited December 2014
    wildboar wrote: »
    You see plenty of people in bikinis and club clothes outside of designated zones. All you have to do is be a secret keeper within those fleets and you too can glitch uniforms that allow you to have a talaxian with trill spots and a tail, with no head.

Yeah, no. There's nobody "glitching" uniforms or the like to enable this. If you made your swimwear costume before a certain date, and have not edited the costume since that date, then you can wear it off Risa. Simple and doesn't require anyone to do anything, only to have done something before a certain date and to not do something after that date.
    shpoks wrote: »
    protogoth, you may not like it, but that's not how society works.

shpoks, what is the antecedent of "that" in your assertion? And, prithee, tell me then, good sir, how doth society work? Someone decides for everyone else on harmless matters of choice? :rolleyes:

Oh, well, at any rate, how things are is not always the same as how things ought to be.
  • voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Some people stand up against the powers that be, challenging the status quo by demanding action against perceived police brutality against minorities; others camp out on the streets of Hong Kong protesting for universal suffrage; still others campaign on a smaller scale, championing womens' equality, an end to institutionalized racism, and the fragility of the planet we all share. My money, however, is on those brave few, those heroes of heroes, that demand the right to wear pixelated bikinis and swimwear wherever they want on a Star Trek online video game.

*Logs onto STO, right hand resting on Che Guevara mousepad, Rage Against the Machine's "Take the Power Back" blasting through Dre (Straight Outta Compton, y'all) Beatz headphones.*

[Zone] Nbreeki@nabreeki: Fists in the air, y'all! More clothing options in ESD, in Qonos, in the Middle East, in the WW! If u don't stand for something, U fall for anything.
    [Zone] Pubbie@randomname: Ignored, idiot.

Every time your character uses the shirtless option from Risa, a Smurf dies.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Some people stand up against the powers that be, challenging the status quo by demanding action against perceived police brutality against minorities; others camp out on the streets of Hong Kong protesting for universal suffrage; still others campaign on a smaller scale, championing womens' equality, an end to institutionalized racism, and the fragility of the planet we all share. My money, however, is on those brave few, those heroes of heroes, that demand the right to wear pixelated bikinis and swimwear wherever they want on a Star Trek online video game.

*Logs onto STO, right hand resting on Che Guevara mousepad, Rage Against the Machine's "Take the Power Back" blasting through Dre (Straight Outta Compton, y'all) Beatz headphones.*

[Zone] Nbreeki@nabreeki: Fists in the air, y'all! More clothing options in ESD, in Qonos, in the Middle East, in the WW! If u don't stand for something, U fall for anything.

LMAO!!! :D:P:D I just sprayed my coffee all over my monitor. I'll be sending you the bill if it doesn't work tomorrow, nabreeki. :D
    HQroeLu.jpg
    edited December 2014

Oh, right, because we can't possibly be advocating for anything serious in the offline world if we're advocating for something in a game. Does the phrase "False Dilemma" mean anything to you?
  • oldravenman3025oldravenman3025 Member Posts: 1,892 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Not this TRIBBLE again. :rolleyes:

The developers made the call on these special costume items. It's their sandbox we're playing in, so they lay the ground rules. If we don't like the ground rules, we can give feedback. And MAYBE they will change a given ground rule at some point. But that is their call.

So far, I haven't seen any indication that they are going to change it.

So, instead of playing the SJW card, we just have to go with the flow. That's how it is.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,521 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Are people allowed to wear their sting bikinis to McDonalds or the grocery store in RL? Not that I know of. Maybe if it was beach front locations in a tropical region, but I doubt that it would be allowed anywhere else.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited December 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Are people allowed to wear their sting bikinis to McDonalds or the grocery store in RL? Not that I know of. Maybe if it was beach front locations in a tropical region, but I doubt that it would be allowed anywhere else.

You obviously never lived near a trailer park. Or went into the average Walmart on a hot summer day. And let me tell you, there are people I would not object to wearing a string bikini - and none of them shop at Walmart.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    My guess is "hope" keeps people not playing but posting on the forums. For others, its a path of sad realization and closure. Grieving takes time. The worst "haters" here love the game, or did at some point.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,521 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    I live in the Pacific Northwest.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    To me, skimpy outfits just don't say "combat-ready." It makes sense to me that these are not acceptable clothing in on-duty situations. And yes, I know Orion NPC's go into combat dressed that way but I find it laughable and immersion-breaking as this illustrates: http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1365/28/1365283018100.jpg

Personal shields do mitigate the risk some, but you are still left open to other attacks that bypass or are not completely stopped by shields. And when you think about it adequate clothing and armor would offer much better protection than what actually happens in-game.

I think it would mitigate some of the "clothing in inappropriate venues" issues if wearing swimwear caused your armor to unslot and it wouldn't be slottable again until you changed into something more combat-appropriate. :evil grin:

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,282 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    You obviously never lived near a trailer park. Or went into the average Walmart on a hot summer day. And let me tell you, there are people I would not object to wearing a string bikini - and none of them shop at Walmart.
    i used to live in a trailer park for a good portion of my childhood...and i never saw anyone walking around it in string bikinis

or anything that could be classed as swimwear, for that matter - closest i ever saw was a tank-top
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    edited December 2014
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I live in the Pacific Northwest.

I've lived all over the Midwest and for a while on the East Coast, and a lot of trips to both of the "tropical-esque" locations, Florida and California. I've seen more inappropriate attire worn in public in the colder climes than I ever saw on a beach in Cali. It's actually kind of weird know that I think about it....

Actually, this should give you an idea of what's out there....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    To me, skimpy outfits just don't say "combat-ready." It makes sense to me that these are not acceptable clothing in on-duty situations. And yes, I know Orion NPC's go into combat dressed that way but I find it laughable and immersion-breaking as this illustrates: http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1365/28/1365283018100.jpg

Personal shields do mitigate the risk some, but you are still left open to other attacks that bypass or are not completely stopped by shields. And when you think about it adequate clothing and armor would offer much better protection than what actually happens in-game.

I think it would mitigate some of the "clothing in inappropriate venues" issues if wearing swimwear caused your armor to unslot and it wouldn't be slottable again until you changed into something more combat-appropriate. :evil grin:

The image you seek to use to illustrate your point is flawed by virtue of being based on Fantasy genre. In that genre, Magic and Illusion are a given. What may appear to be a 'chain mail bikini" may in fact be full plate with a glamour on it to make it appear to be something "flimsy." I give you a "Fail" for that appeal to a flawed "illustration."
    edited December 2014
    protogoth wrote: »
    The image you seek to use to illustrate your point is flawed by virtue of being based on Fantasy genre. In that genre, Magic and Illusion are a given. What may appear to be a 'chain mail bikini" may in fact be full plate with a glamour on it to make it appear to be something "flimsy." I give you a "Fail" for that appeal to a flawed "illustration."

Meh, maybe all the clothes in STO are holographically projected a la Picard and Lily in the holodeck in First Contact. We know for a fact they didn't have time to change, but all of the sudden she's wearing a dress with cleavage...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2014
    Meh, maybe all the clothes in STO are holographically projected a la Picard and Lily in the holodeck in First Contact. We know for a fact they didn't have time to change, but all of the sudden she's wearing a dress with cleavage...

Thank you for taking my previous post to its implications for STO.
  • thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,545 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Tell ya what I'd like to see.

One of those Bridge Bunnies hefts her bat'leth to take the head off a Federation redshirt and at the penultimate moment, both the vertabrae of the Human and the neck strap of her, ahem, "armor" part with no chance of repair.

Now that would be something, lol.

Or, pwe/cryptic throws some coding into the game where if one is not dressed appropriately for the weather, either just visually or otherwise, the char in question takes cold damage until they go put some clothes on.

I have some female Boffs and one female char. They dress(And are proportioned) normally. Could have something to do with being a grownup for the last thirty one years. Just sayin'.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
    edited December 2014

One of those Bridge Bunnies hefts her bat'leth to take the head off a Federation redshirt and at the penultimate moment, both the vertabrae of the Human and the neck strap of her, ahem, "armor" part with no chance of repair.

Or, pwe/cryptic throws some coding into the game where if one is not dressed appropriately for the weather, either just visually or otherwise, the char in question takes cold damage until they go put some clothes on.

I have some female Boffs and one female char. They dress(And are proportioned) normally. Could have something to do with being a grownup for the last thirty one years. Just sayin'.

I never went in for the "skimpy clothes" look on female toons either tbh - I dress them for combat, when I even bother to change the default clothes at all.

Although, I will say I do use some modified armor sets for Fallout New Vegas, just because a little extra skin seems appropriate in that game. Not as much in Trek, with some exceptions, obviously.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    It's a frickin game. I'll dress them as I see fit, up to the limit the dictatorship allows. That said, no, not all my officers or captains run around mostly naked with quantum torpedos in their shirts. I would however like to have the option of wearing the swimwear on my bridge due to the fact that I have one char who is short and round and its great fun to torment a couple fleetmates :P
  • coolheadalcoolheadal Member Posts: 1,253 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    The black long winter coat looks makes a good uniform coat. I hope I can keep on wearing after the Winter is over. But I am sure they'll kill that hope! Club Wear and Risan stuff should be kept on for those special things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Time will only tell!
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited December 2014

This, so much. You will, of course, notice that female Marines don't go into combat in bikinis. If I could switch boff costumes on the fly both of the women on my Fed's away team would be in Odyssey tactical dirtside; as it is they're in Odyssey service blacks.

Hell, even the Orion on my KDF char wears Honor Guard.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    starswordc wrote: »
    This, so much. You will, of course, notice that female Marines don't go into combat in bikinis. If I could switch boff costumes on the fly both of the women on my Fed's away team would be in Odyssey tactical dirtside; as it is they're in Odyssey service blacks.

Hell, even the Orion on my KDF char wears Honor Guard.

Female marines shouldn't go into combat wearing bikinis because well, they are flesh and blood people. These game females are made up of pixels...who cares what they wear, it's not real.
  • tolmariustolmarius Member Posts: 400 Arc User
    edited December 2014

I second this motion. I get an attack of ocd when I see some toon who is exploiting the Summer Event bug running around shoeless and clothless in freezing temperatures. I always end up staring and wondering "Why are you not getting frostbite and hypothermia." Speaking as someone whose characters have proper dress for all climates, who thinos that uniform means uniform, and someone with ocd, the swimwear off the beach is an eyesore in most situations. I recall a number of times that I got promoted, and discovered that someone had apparently sent one or more strippergrams to Asmiral Quinn, Admiral Kererek, or Chancellor Jam'paked. :D
    3T6cHqb.png
  • lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,872 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    coolheadal wrote: »
    The black long winter coat looks makes a good uniform coat. I hope I can keep on wearing after the Winter is over. But I am sure they'll kill that hope! Club Wear and Risan stuff should be kept on for those special things.

Yeah you can wear the coats after the winter event.
    Can't have a honest conversation because of a white knight with power
  • vamankvamank Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Can the perverts please stop campaigning to have their characters as naked as possible?
    Admiral%20sig%202.png
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    tolmarius wrote: »
    I second this motion. I get an attack of ocd when I see some toon who is exploiting the Summer Event bug running around shoeless and clothless in freezing temperatures. I always end up staring and wondering "Why are you not getting frostbite and hypothermia."

That would be hilarious. Coupled with all your armor stats crashing to 0 while thus (barely) clad. ;)

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I've lived all over the Midwest and for a while on the East Coast, and a lot of trips to both of the "tropical-esque" locations, Florida and California. I've seen more inappropriate attire worn in public in the colder climes than I ever saw on a beach in Cali. It's actually kind of weird know that I think about it....

Actually, this should give you an idea of what's out there....

ROTFLMAO... is see stuff like this all the time at the hospital where I work...

And it's usually NOT the patients.

In game, I just undress all the ladies with my eyes.

:cool:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif