test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A Community United

js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
It really is nice to see a level of consensus starting to form across all the threads.

Yes, we all have differing opinions on how to play the game, best strategies, best builds, how much money we are prepared to spend... It does seem to me that despite the petty accusation that the forums are full of game-hating malcontents - "ungrateful whiners" is the term I heard, not sure which dev it was - the people on the forums actually care about what happens to the game.

It's nice to be united in that way - players should feel an attachment to the game. We should speak up when things get altered that are detrimental to the game's long term survival or the quality of life of players. To not speak up at all is to give our approval. To just sit back and let changes happen without voicing our concerns is to be part of the problem.

Keep speaking up. There are more changes to come in the game, and I'm making an educated guess that we aren't going to like all of them. If nobody speaks up on the forums, Cryptic will have no idea that we don't like the changes. I'm not saying they'll listen or care, I'm just saying that they won't be able to say that concerns weren't raised.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Free Tibet!
Post edited by js26568 on

Comments

• amishrevolutionamishrevolution Member Posts: 127 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    alaric63 wrote: »
    I also consider most of the players visiting the Forums as crybabies. The Community you speak of are the Malcontents, not the game-wide Community of players. Try not to forget that most players never come here to complain because they just play. Self importance must come with Entitlement.

And the right to complain about a purchased product comes with the purchase of said product, I know I bought the game at release, I bought the LTS at release and I bought a bunch of now outdated TRIBBLE from the C-Store over the years that I feel rather screwed over by now.
  • inkrunnerinkrunner Member Posts: 407 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I also consider most of the players visiting the Forums as crybabies. The Community you speak of are the Malcontents, not the game-wide Community of players. Try not to forget that most players never come here to complain because they just play. Self importance must come with Entitlement.

You require some hard evidence for your broad generalizations there, good sir.
    2iBFtmg.png
  • xiaoping88xiaoping88 Member Posts: 1,493 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Self importance must come with Entitlement.

It takes one to know one.
    Reality is an illusion.
    The universe is a hologram.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited November 2014
    inkrunner wrote: »

Hey, if you're going to use a logical fallacy, GO BIG!
  • aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited November 2014

It's Geko in disguise!
  • ecotec1983ecotec1983 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    While I agree that the threads here should be taken with a grain of salt, they can help form an idea of how the game is being perceived and a general idea of player sentiment. Who's to say that players in the game are not upset by some of the recent changes and just stop playing without providing feedback. Perhaps they do not know the forums exist at all.

Myself I have never been much for complaining. When a company makes me feel unappreciated, treats me badly or ruins a product I liked I just leave. They will get no feedback and people will hear about the bad experience. A happy customer is less likely to tell people than an unhappy customer.

Guess what I am saying is that feedback here is important and should at least warrant some consideration even if its not a complete picture. Most people want to see the game succeed and as the past has shown failing to heed signs of customer discontent, ignoring feedback and failing to change when things need to change never ends well. (Thinking GM before bankruptcy)
    edited November 2014
    Entitlement poersonified

Selfimportant prick personified.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited November 2014
    Entitlement poersonified

I bought the game, I bought the LTS, I have a right to what I purchased in my license. Changing the rules mid-stream a half dozen times over the years is not entitlement, entitlement is the free players whinging about the exact same things when they haven't paid into the game.

Might want to actually look up the definitiion of that word you're throwing around, 'cause it does not fit me, or any other person that actually spent money on the game itself or its associated lifetime subscription to what is now a "free" game.

Like I said, if you're going to use a logical fallacy, GO BIG! This ad-hominem is your second one, care to go for the trifecta?
  • iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I like STO. I'm glad in the year 2014 I can jump into the Star Trek universe at a few clicks of a button and a few keystrokes.

If I dish out criticism to PWE/Cryptic it is because I want to make the game better. I try to offer an objective perspective with constructive feedback when I can. Sometimes I do this well, sometimes I do not do this so well.

STO is always going to be a work-in-progress, and I stayed away from the forums for a very long time because of the toxic environment that festered here. However, when I began seeing changes to the game I really did not like... I spoke up about it to my friends, and their response?

"You should have said something on the forums when they were looking for feedback."

I had nobody to blame but myself for refusing to take a more proactive part in trying to improve the game through my feedback.

Like any battle for perfection, you win some and you lose some. I've had my feedback ignored or not acted upon. But I've also seen feedback I've put in, along with similar feedback others have put in result in beneficial changes I currently see in the game. I try not to let the battles I lose affect me too much, nor do I let those losses cloud a somewhat objective perspective.

I do not mind snark, sarcasm, or cynicism. And I would prefer to be called out on erronous thinking just as often as I call others out on it. I would prefer others police my actions by correcting me just as I attempt to correct others.

Because we are all in the same boat. Whiners. Haters. Fanboys. Casuals. Hardcore Players. Veterans, Newbies. I have to live with them all just as they have to live with me, so I had might as well make the best of it.

I would say many of us share common lines of communication with our responses before, during, and after the launch of Delta Rising. Some communication is more toxic than others, but I am able to glean that this launch was not as awesome as I wish it was.

All I can say is I am thankful for those of you on the forums who have decided to be proactive and not let cynicism and delusion control your posts. Who have provided feedback and anecdotal experience to illustrate a greater picture than what Cryptic has been telling us. I want to say thank you to those posters who are able to temper their emotions with reason and rationality.

I want to say thanks to Cryptic for communicating with us, and for being willing to tolerate the toxicity the forums sometimes present. While I may not always like what is being communicated, I do appreciate the effort.

And of course, I want to say thanks to all the STO players who have been willing to police each other and recognize that there is a way to air your grievances in a respectful manner. We get the game we ask for, for better or for worse.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited November 2014
    Origininality much?

For all your hate towards the forums... what the hell are you even doing here? Don't you want to grind dilithium or something?
    aoax10 wrote: »
    It's Geko in disguise!

Na, Geko would be way less eloquent and way more insulting towards us.
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • aoax10aoax10 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    xiaoping88 wrote: »
    Na, Geko would be way less eloquent and way more insulting towards us.

You have a point.:D
  • erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The Community you speak of are the Malcontents, not the game-wide Community of players. Try not to forget that most players never come here to complain because they just play. Self importance must come with Entitlement.
    You are right. The ingame community, which can be talked to in ESD, for example, is very different. Usually they are bickering about US internal politic, how all Muslims are terrorists, and various subjects where they can show their total ignorance, and usually, intolerance. Or Gorn jokes, at best.
    However, since DR, they are now busy of insulting Cryptic and the devs most of the time.

The forum is moderated, and people are more courteous. Which is a huge difference with the "game-wide community".
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited November 2014
    A touch of reality doesn't seem to go down here very well.

No, that makes you a developer apologist around these parts.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited November 2014
    iconians wrote: »
    No, that makes you a developer apologist around these parts.

You damn apolo... wait, I actually like most of your posts. Hm. You're excused this time
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I bought the game, I bought the LTS, I have a right to what I purchased in my license. Changing the rules mid-stream a half dozen times over the years is not entitlement,
    Actually.... Rule 1: Cryptic makes the rules.

Yes, it's phrased differently, but it is in the TOS you agreed to. that rule has never changed.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    edited November 2014
    My dislike is for the Unrealistic Expectations of the few. I care to point out that opnion is just that, opnion. Mine included.

No one comes here to share a Strat on how to beat the Adv STF's. No one comes here to rationaly critique the game. From what I read people come here to complain and make demands. I especially notice when the few make out to speak for the many.

I found no trouble reaching lvl 60. I found no trouble gathering the Mats to up-grade what gear I have upgraded. All of the complaints are people calling for a return to pre-DR days. Well guess what, people were complaining then.

A touch of reality doesn't seem to go down here very well.

No, they don't usually post such things in General Discussion, they usually post that kind of information in the correct forum section. You'll occasionally see such things posted in General Discussion but it's not a normal state of affairs. Given that the forums have never been setup particularly well for that kind of organized posting, the confusion is understandable.
  • rosetyler51rosetyler51 Member Posts: 1,631 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    inkrunner wrote: »

I require some hard evidence for OP's broad generalizations.
    edited November 2014
    Actually.... Rule 1: Cryptic makes the rules.

Yes, it's phrased differently, but it is in the TOS you agreed to. that rule has never changed.

Rule 1 does not take away my right to complain about purchasing a product that isn't the same product it was when I purchased it. It's like buying a Cadillac and having it morph overnight into a 1973 Pinto wagon, that's on fire.

All it does is mean that there's not a damned thing I can do about it but complain, and I reserve that right.
    edited November 2014
    You just want your, so called, points to be echo'd, or you find some way to ridicule another point of view. Where is that going to get ya?

Hopefully in a better position than I currently am in.

I don't expect any of my feedback to be echoed or acted upon. But I also know I miss 100% of the shots I don't take, and if the game turns out like TRIBBLE? Hey, I can say I tried.

It's a gamble I take each time I express my opinion. In the end, I really do not care where the dice land. I have the accountability to say that I tried rolling the dice.
    ExtxpTp.jpg
    edited November 2014
    Nit-picking. Just another way to attept to discredit a differning point of view. Text Book reaction really. It doesn't change the actual point I was making.

Oh, you were actually making a point and not an overly broad insult to the entire forum community? My bad, please carry on.
    edited November 2014
    I require some hard evidence for OP's broad generalizations.

Just look at this very thread. United, aren't we? :rolleyes:
    Reality is an illusion.
    latest?cb=20130715204749
    Buy gold!
    edited November 2014
    Nit-picking. Just another way to attept to discredit a differning point of view. Text Book reaction really. It doesn't change the actual point I was making.

(Do you see what I did there?)

No, if it was pedantic nitpicking, I'd be correcting your English, spelling, syntax, and lack of cohesive argument. I still do not see any "point" that you were trying to make other than calling the entire forum community "entitled" brats unworthy of their voices being heard by the company they support.

And since we're going to be simply reiterating previous posts and ad-hominem attacks (we meaning you) I see no further point in attempting this debate with you.
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited November 2014

I guess we don't have the same definition for entitlement.

Having paid for a service, I expect to receive it. If they can't provide it in a timely manner, I expect at the very least an apology while they work on it. When I pay for a service, i expect to be able to access it.

Because it's Star Trek, I have an overwhelming need for it to be successful. I love the game, and enjoy the company of like-minded people.

Yup, I'm entitled. Self important? Nah. I just expect to get what I paid for delivered in a reasonable manner.

Self importance is for trolls, which considering your responses are par for the course. I don't see you as an apologist, but as a small lonely person needing reassurance that in some way you're better than the rest of us who care about the game.

Which is what I'm returning my focus to.
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    *begins handing out Forum pvp gear and counts 3,2,1...GO!!!!*

*giggles*
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • solidneutroniumsolidneutronium Member Posts: 510 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It's entitlement, crying, malcontents, ingrates and haters till Cryptic/PWE BS directly impacts them. Then it's different and they join the unwashed masses. When that time comes we'll welcome you with open arms brother. :D
    Professional Slider Since 2409

Officially Nerfed In Early 2410
    edited November 2014
    It's entitlement, crying, malcontents, ingrates and haters till Cryptic/PWE BS directly impacts them. Then it's different and they join the unwashed masses. When that time comes we'll welcome you with open arms brother. :D

originally it was the health/shield balloon pinatas with 250,000k dps lol

but i didn't enter till the XP nerf, i am a believer! http://youtu.be/URSjRsenO1g?t=2m27s
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I'm with the OP on this. :) While probably the vast majority of our playerbase is either blissfully unaware of the forums, or doesn't care... why, the latter *was* going to be my point, actually. People who are here, and are often seen as 'complaining' too much, are actually the ones who care enough about the game to voice their grievances.

Only the truly casual player just gobbles up everything Cryptic dishes out, too apathic to care. To them, so little invested in the game, the answer invariably is "Okay, I'll do. Or I don't. Whatever. I simply don't care enough either way." Don't confuse the absence of an opinion with a positive one.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited November 2014
    hey, i made friends here i never thought i would ... lol (and they are not cannibals) lol :D
    eywdK7c.jpg
    edited November 2014
    betayuya wrote: »
    hey, i made friends here i never thought i would ... lol (and they are not cannibals) lol :D

Who say's I'm not a cannibal?
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    Arguing about me because you have no retort to my points. When in doubt, call it a Troll. Perfect.

I'll post a response when you've made a point worth talking about. You have a right to your view, but given the responses here, on Reddit, on Facebook and on Twitter - you're in a small minority.