test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Let the top performers go, Cryptic.

leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
I am not a top performer, first of all. I consume content semi-fast but I'd wager I do replay more than average. I DO upgrade gear. I doubt I'm a top DPSer and I made a decision a long time ago not to run with a DPS meter or look at charts.

But I made this observation recently:
Cryptic seems to be basing decisions around what the top performers are doing. Most of the nerfs, rollbacks, etc. all seem to be based around curbing the rate of gains for top players (probably around one tenth of one percent of players). Cryptic seems to freak whenever the top one tenth of one percent of players dramatically outperform Cryptic's goals and they seem to be unable to let that go. So they keep coming up with solutions that influence the rest of us.

I think the skillpoint rollback was targeted at the top 0.1% to top 2% of all players and wound up claiming unintended targets and upsetting more people. So I think Cryptic then came up with this approach again (which is a stealth nerf to DOffing and critter kills) under some theory that it would rein in the top 0.1-2% of players and that the rest of us wouldn't notice or might even benefit. (I don't think they really stopped to think that people playing on normal difficulty without chain grinding were relying more on critter kills than mission skillpoints and thought a stealth kill SP nerf would slow down overperformers.) I think they honestly didn't consider how much it would affect the rest of us.

And this is why I'm saying right now:

- Like most players, I don't PvP. I don't want you to try to entice me into PvP.

- Getting outDPSed by other players is not really that demoralizing.

- I spend money but am about done with any desire I had to because of what I perceive as balancing around curbing top performers.

- Let them go. Let them finish grinding spec points in no time flat. I don't care and I don't think Cryptic should either. If these changes are designed to target and stop them, I really feel Cryptic's systems teams have become Javert pursuing Jean Valjean over what is, in the end, just a loaf of bread. Somebody else progressing too fast won't interfere with my spending but Cryptic disrupting my much more modest gameplay in an attempt to police top performers will disrupt my spending and my activity and my loyalty towards, interest in, and willingness to recommend the game.

In short, where overperformers go...?

Let it go. Blow up the balance metrics.

http://youtu.be/O7h7Mfe8BDw
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• taylor1701dtaylor1701d Member Posts: 3,099 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I feel bad for the players who are struggling to get BNP's and ancient power cells.
    The lower tiered/newer players have to do adv content to get these items to upgrade their ships.
    Its not fair to them.
    And to think we had a chance to earn 14 bnp's in a single stf a while ago (which was way easier content then what we have today).
    [img][/img]OD5urLn.jpg
  • razar2380razar2380 Member Posts: 1,187 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It is true that they are hurting a lot of players in this power struggle between them and the elite. Like those who are not the elite are caught in the crossfire.

Once the developers prove their supremacy, hopefully they will go back and Nerf things back down so that it is enjoyable for the non-elite again. We just need to wait till they win this fight of theirs.
    Leader of Elite Guardian Academy.Would you like to learn how to run a fleet? Would you like to know how to do ship builds (true budget as well as high end)?The join the Academy today!
  • darin010darin010 Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I don't think of my self as a top player either. I had good ships and nice sets out of many of the Reps and before DR I could pretty much enjoy the whole game with out any major issues. But now I don't play hardly any thing. I don't push out tons of DPS but I could if I wanted to but the key is I don't have to, to enjoy the game. I don't really care if someone can push out 30k DPS. What I do care about is being put in the same boat as the people Cryptic is trying to cater to. What Cryptic has pretty much done is make this game a buy DPS fest. It matters very little now however. The ques are all but dead, if their is not an event running I see no one in que all but for Bug Hunt and BD. Even now as I look at them their is 5 in one and 2 waiting to que in the other everything else is pretty much 0's down the line.. well there is Crystal. But the key is the people Cryptic is looking at to buy buy buy will leave when their is no one for them to que up with. The Op is right Cryptic needs to let some things go. Not just because we asked but because of the game and the state that it is in. Honestly if this game dies because of them I will never touch any thing Cryptic again and I know a lot of fleet mates and friends that feel the same way. But the funny thing is Cryptic will always go with the whales on this. But in life if the small fish go away for to long the whales die and then their is nothing. So let it go cryptic put the game back the way it was before DR. Put the Per DR sp, xp, EC, dilith and so on back in the game with Delta with those spects that would be totally great people would love it and come back. So bite your pride and bring it back how it really should be ok guys?
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Interesting post you made there. :)

It just had one major flaw, though; namely, the assumption that people who finish their Specialization tree super-fast will leave. Ironically, it's the same false, panicky reaction Cryptic has to their speed-leveling. Truth is, they won't leave. They didn't leave when there was no more content to be played. They didn't leave when there were no more reps to fill. They didn't leave when there were no more Fleet goals to reach. Etc.

What Cryptic needs to do, is simply let go. Period. They should start trusting that the people who stayed through all previous periods of content drought, will stay now too.

I agree, though, they really should stop including the top 1% in their metrics, and make a good game playable for the average player. And those wanting to go 17x faster than elsewhere, let them.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Not so sure thats the case (much as it would flatter certain people if it were). If Cryptic really wanted to reign in the 1337 munchkins there are a number of things that could be adjusted that would hit those people really hard that the average player would never notice. If anything DR seems to be specifically catering to said players, as they're the ones willing to spend hundreds of dollars twinking out a single ship and buy every new toy that comes out. I'm sure Cryptic would be thrilled if everyone started playing that way.
  • betayuyabetayuya Member Posts: 1,059 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    meimeitoo wrote: »

It just had one major flaw, though; namely, the assumption that people who finish their Specialization tree super-fast will leave. Ironically, it's the same false, panicky reaction Cryptic has to their speed-leveling. Truth is, they won't leave. They didn't leave when there was no more content to be played. They didn't leave when there were no more reps to fill. They didn't leave when there were no more Fleet goals to reach. Etc.

i believe this is called a causality loop, where they inadvertently CAUSE the very event they are trying to avoid lol :D
    eywdK7c.jpg
    edited November 2014
    betayuya wrote: »
    i believe this is called a causality loop, where they inadvertently CAUSE the very event they are trying to avoid lol :D

Yup. They should talk to Janeway about that.

Love your sigs, btw! Super-cute! :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2014

What Cryptic needs to do, is simply let go. Period. They should start trusting that the people who stayed through all previous periods of content drought, will stay now too.

I agree, though, they really should stop including the top 1% in their metrics, and make a good game playable for the average player. And those wanting to go 17x faster than elsewhere, let them.

I don't necessarily think they will.

When I say "let it go", I mean it in the sense Lily Sloane meant it when she said "blow up the ship" in First Contact. I feel like there's almost vendetta level focus here in slowing down fast progression.

Pretend the Borg are elite players and pretend Picard is a systems dev here.

http://youtu.be/oeGMHbK4NlA

LILY: You stealth nerfed us.
    PICARD: This really isn't the time.
    LILY: Okay. I don't know jack about game development systems design but everybody out there thinks that staying here and following this content grind strategy is suicide. They're just afraid to come in here and say it.
    PICARD: The players are accustomed to adapting to my patches.
    LILY: They're probably accustomed to your patches making sense.
    PICARD: None of them understand the grind as I do. ...No one does. No one can.
    LILY: What is that supposed to mean?
    PICARD: Six years ago, I was invited to play a game called 'Farmville'. I had their app implanted throughout my social media profiles. My credit card was linked to my account, every trace of disposable income erased. I was one of them. So you can imagine, my dear, I have a somewhat unique perspective on the grind and I know how to implement strategy. Now if you will excuse me I have work to do.
    LILY: I am such an idiot. ...It's so simple. The elite players hurt you, and now you're going to milk them dry.
    PICARD: At my company we don't succumb to monetization. We have a more evolved sensibility.
    LILY: Bull...! I saw the look on your face when you lowered those numbers on the spreadsheet. You were almost enjoying it!
    PICARD: How dare you!?
    LILY: Oh, come on, Captain. You're not the first man to get a thrill from nerfing someone. I see it all the time.
    PICARD: Get out!
    LILY: Or what? You'll nerfl me, like you nerfed the players who ground STFs after launch?
    PICARD: There was no way to distinguish them from exploiters.
    LILY: You didn't even try. Where was your evolved sensibility then?
    PICARD: I don't have time for this.
    LILY: Oh! Hey! I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt your little quest. Captain Zynga has to go hunt his whales.
    PICARD: What?
    LILY: You do have facebook in the twenty-fourth century?
    PICARD: This is not about monetization.
    LILY: Liar!
    PICARD: This is about saving the future of free-to-play gaming.
    LILY: Jean-Luc, delete the friggin' spreadsheets!
    PICARD: No! ...No!
    (Picard breaks the starship display cabinet with his phaser rifle)
    PICARD: No! ...I will not sacrifice the systems design. We've made too many compromises already. Too many retreats. They invade our space patrols and we fall back. They assimilate entire keybind systems, and we fall back. Not again! The line must be drawn here, ...this far, no further! And I will make them pay for their dilithium.
    LILY: You broke your little ships. ...See you around, Zynga.
    edited November 2014
    Yup. They should talk to Janeway about that.

Love your sigs, btw! Super-cute! :)

aww *blushes*
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Amen Pastor Leviathan!

I refused to grind for the pidly story at the end of rep grinds. Im at level 55 on my main, and Im quickly losing interest in the rest of the story before I get there. My other 5 toons, havnt touched them. I was strongly considering buying more upgrade tokens for the rest of my alts, but not until the diamond quarry slave labor under the whip of a Christopher Walken villain is removed. I kept my alt family low with no plans to expand beyond 4 Feds, 1 Rom, and 1 Klink. Now my family of 6 feels like a family of 20 mouths to feed. Ugh. Its true about the queues. Was on 2 nights ago, barely any queues to play. 20 man queues are ghost towns, didnt dare wait for those to fill. I though of all the "thousands and thousands" playing this game, what a pathetic showing on a weeknight.

As OP says, what are those 1%ers hurting the rest of us. They were crazy enough to overspend to get that way before DR, they'll likely keep spending.

Ive never even posted in the famous Doom thread, but its really looking like the End Times are here. Now I know theres no point in making the few foundry missions I always told myself Id get around to make. There literally is NO ONE left to play them when 5 man queues are starving for attention.

Bravo Stephen DeAngelo you dumbf***. Way to kill off the last remaining visual morsel of the Prime Universe of this IP. Hope you're proud of yourself. And all this time I hated Dan Stahls leadership, Stephen makes Dan look like a saint...
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • originalkaticoriginalkatic Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I think you're looking at things all wrong.

PWE/Cryptic probably doesn't care about the Elites as much as they;re making out, what they care about is that the Elites show up, supermaxgrind their way to the new top level stuff and buy the cool shinies they want, then leave.

They don't stick around, they're the player spike when new content comes out, and they're the ones that leave during the ho-hum average days of the game.

They don't show up for weekend events.

They don't show up for Featured Episode Re-Runs.

They sure as &%#$ don't show up every time new shinies hit the Cash Shop.

And that's the problem.

PWE/Cryptic want them to hang out and stay, get caught in the grind, be tempted to spend money for Zen, be in game the day new shinies hit the Cash Shop and be here to buy them, they want them to be stuck in the same slow grind the rest of us are and be here for their gimmicks and sales and new shinies..

That's why they're focused on making the endgame one big grind. They want all the Elites and PvPers at the end game to flock to buy Zen to trade with the casual grinders for Dilithium.

They want the Content Tourists to stick around to grind to get to the new content, hence why all of DR is level locked at steps to lvl60, they don't want someone to burn through the content and ditch, they want them to experience the grind, get frustrated, buy Zen, and then trade for Dilithium.

Everything boils down to "How can we drive players to give us money".

They don't give a %^&* about player metrics, not really, that's just the convenient excuse.
    Original Join Date: January 2010. Ragequit Date: January 7th 2012. Return Date: October 23rd 2014.

Almost called it.
  • doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited November 2014

When I say "let it go", I mean it in the sense Lily Sloane meant it when she said "blow up the ship" in First Contact. I feel like there's almost vendetta level focus here in slowing down fast progression.

LILY: Okay. I don't know jack about game development systems design but everybody out there thinks that staying here and following this content grind strategy is suicide. They're just afraid to come in here and say it.
    PICARD: Six years ago, I was invited to play a game called 'Farmville'. I had their app implanted throughout my social media profiles. My credit card was linked to my account, every trace of disposable income erased. I was one of them. So you can imagine, my dear, I have a somewhat unique perspective on the grind and I know how to implement strategy. Now if you will excuse me I have work to do.
    LILY: I am such an idiot. ...It's so simple. The elite players hurt you, and now you're going to milk them dry.
    PICARD: At my company we don't succumb to monetization. We have a more evolved sensibility.
    LILY: Bull...! I saw the look on your face when you lowered those numbers on the spreadsheet. You were almost enjoying it!
    LILY: Oh, come on, Captain. You're not the first man to get a thrill from nerfing someone. I see it all the time.
    LILY: Or what? You'll nerfl me, like you nerfed the players who ground STFs after launch?
    LILY: Oh! Hey! I'm sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt your little quest. Captain Zynga has to go hunt his whales.
    PICARD: No! ...I will not sacrifice the systems design. We've made too many compromises already. Too many retreats. They invade our space patrols and we fall back. They assimilate entire keybind systems, and we fall back. Not again! The line must be drawn here, ...this far, no further! And I will make them pay for their dilithium.

Thats Gold Jerry! GOLD!
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited November 2014

That made me smile ;)
    edited November 2014

PWE/Cryptic probably doesn't care about the Elites as much as they;re making out, what they care about is that the Elites show up, supermaxgrind their way to the new top level stuff and buy the cool shinies they want, then leave.

They don't stick around, they're the player spike when new content comes out, and they're the ones that leave during the ho-hum average days of the game.

And that's the problem.

PWE/Cryptic want them to hang out and stay, get caught in the grind, be tempted to spend money for Zen, be in game the day new shinies hit the Cash Shop and be here to buy them, they want them to be stuck in the same slow grind the rest of us are and be here for their gimmicks and sales and new shinies..

That's why they're focused on making the endgame one big grind. They want all the Elites and PvPers at the end game to flock to buy Zen to trade with the casual grinders for Dilithium.

They want the Content Tourists to stick around to grind to get to the new content, hence why all of DR is level locked at steps to lvl60, they don't want someone to burn through the content and ditch, they want them to experience the grind, get frustrated, buy Zen, and then trade for Dilithium.

They don't give a %^&* about player metrics, not really, that's just the convenient excuse.

any company who follows this path has sold it's soul to the devil. the only thing that held meaning was the brand name, and when i found them, the people that where nice and what not, when it dies, i re/build elsewhere to try to keep the spirit alive, even if just for my own sense of fun. love it, and it will live long after this MMO dies some day.
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • diotwdiotw Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Yep, have to agree with you on this one, Leviathan. For the last few weeks it's felt like I'm being punished for the actions of a very small minority that are pushing the envelope.

It almost seems like Cryptic has taken on the role of a nun in an old style Catholic school, wrapping the players across the knuckles with a ruler whenever they deviate from the given way of playing the game.

"You grind those PvE queues this instant, boy! Don't even think about playing patrols, or Foundry content. You will grind, and you will like it!" *WHAP!*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    This character is why I don't play my Romulan any more. Tovan Khev is NOT my BFF! Get him off my bridge!
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    *trim*

Except those people buy more overpriced garbage than anyone. Every ship for every trait, all their gear up to gold 14, every lobi console, on and on and on. They're the people who don't slog through the grind, but instead blow through it and measure themselves as they play it dozens of times. All the craptons of HP and repetitive content is to try and get us to be like that, flying DPS spreadsheets buying the absolute latest everything to trim down the slog, yet repeating things so often we convince ourselves that that IS the game. DR was built with them in mind, trying to create more players like that. Why would Cryptic care if they stick around, so long as they drop back in to buy each new shiny and encourage others to do the same?
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,903 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    diotw wrote: »
    Yep, have to agree with you on this one, Leviathan. For the last few weeks it's felt like I'm being punished for the actions of a very small minority that are pushing the envelope.

It almost seems like Cryptic has taken on the role of a nun in an old style Catholic school, wrapping the players across the knuckles with a ruler whenever they deviate from the given way of playing the game.

"You grind those PvE queues this instant, boy! Don't even think about playing patrols, or Foundry content. You will grind, and you will like it!" *WHAP!*

and they don't even have the normal mission balances straight. I took Drummond into the delta to do the patrol mission on my way to finish the content. I'm in an eclipse, mk XIII A.M.A.C.O shield all beams are mk XIII everything else purple mk XII. flying the eclipse becasue i want that trait.

firt opponent is a vaadwaur frigate. FRIGATE. he had my shields down and hull south of 50% in about 90 seconds. that should not happen in normal difficulty. especially not when that same toon goes toe to toe with typhoons in the MU with zero difficulty.

and it's not like I have not seen this content. I just finished it with Deety just before the skills nerf.
    sig.jpg
    edited November 2014
    diotw wrote: »

The cure, though, is not to blame those going 17x faster, but Cryptic for their obsessively punitive, knee-jerk reaction to their progress.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • talientalien Member Posts: 712 Arc User
    edited November 2014

And that's the problem.

Except it's not the 1%ers that generate a majority of STO's income, it's the average joe players who spend $20 on zen here and there, and maybe get suckered into impulse buying a lifetime membership when they go on sale or one of the megabundles like the LoR or DR packs because ooh, shiny! The 1%ers know how to get what they want without spending a dime, they're the ones who game the system and get their dil in game to trade for zen that the average joes put up for sale because they need the dil for fleet holding projects and now gear upgrades and don't know how to farm it in game efficiently. The "elite" players can hit their 8k refine cap across multiple characters daily in just a few hours, the average joe struggles to hit 8k on one or two characters.

And that is why cryptic is on this apparent crusade to make things difficult for them, they AREN'T spending money and cryptic wants them to. Only cryptic is always one step behind, and by the time they notice what's going on and nerf whatever the new flavor of the week is the 1%ers have already accomplished whatever it is they were doing and the following nerfs only hurt the average joes.

Do not mix up the whales with the 1%ers, the whales are average joes with big wallets, the 1%ers don't need to spend money to get everything they want from the game.
  • cookiecrookcookiecrook Member Posts: 4,536 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I have to agree with most of what has already been said in this thread. Basing the difficulty on the top 1% of players is just going to drive people away. I have already seen quite a few of the regulars I used to play with leave. They can't find the materials they need to make Tech outside of the Exchange because they are only dropping in the higher difficulties and they are very expensive on the Exchange. The yields for Dilithium are still too low and trying to upgrade gear eats it up fast. Some people might be able to make STO their full time job but most of the people I have played with have lives, a career, and are casual players.

We have money to spend in this game but it has to be a worth wile investment. I bought the Voyager Bundle for the skins and the ship interior more than anything. That interior is so nice, I feel I got my monies worth there even though I have no intention of actually flying the Pathfinder. I can't make enough DL or EC to buy or make Superior Tech to upgrade enough of my ship to actually feel competitive in STO. I can easily breeze through the normal content but it just doesn't reward enough. I am not up to par with the advanced because I make enough to upgrade my ship to do better. This is really discouraging and has me looking for other games to play instead of STO.

I really hope who ever makes these decisions gets their elitist head out of their butt soon and starts to make some changes to STO that are more in line with the level most of the players are at. Bringing back the fun this game once offered is tied to how much money I feel I want to spend in this game.
    <
    > <
    > <
    >
    Looking for a new fleet? Drop by the in-game chat channel, "tenforwardforum", and say hi to the members of A Fleet Called Ten Forward (Fed) and The Orion Pirates (KDF). If you already have a fleet you are happy with, please feel free to drop by our chat channel if you are looking for a friendly bunch of helpful people to socialize with.
  • leviathan99#2867 leviathan99 Member Posts: 7,747 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    talien wrote: »
    Except it's not the 1%ers that generate a majority of STO's income, it's the average joe players who spend $20 on zen here and there, and maybe get suckered into impulse buying a lifetime membership when they go on sale or one of the megabundles like the LoR or DR packs because ooh, shiny!

Here's the problem. What you describe is not an average joe.

What you describe is between 5-10% of players.

Here's the F2P trick.

Take a game with 100k active players cycling in and out, 50k in any given month, spending $15 a month. $750k a month.

Turn it into F2P. Get 300k+ players. 10% of them spend an average of $50 in any given month but the spread is wide, ranging from $5 to $500+ and the AVERAGE is $50. $1.5 million a month. Revenue has doubled and profits may be higher still if you've kept costs down. On a BAD month, revenue is back down to $750k. You can sustain the 30k cycling through spending easier because there's always fresh chum flowing through and the ones who stay are surrounded by people.

The smart move is not to be happy with just 5-10% spending and shoot for more people buying at smaller amounts. But it's a tempting (dumb) business model.
    edited November 2014

Here's the F2P trick.

Take a game with 100k active players cycling in and out, 50k in any given month, spending $15 a month. $750k a month.

Turn it into F2P. Get 300k+ players. 10% of them spend an average of $50 in any given month but the spread is wide, ranging from $5 to $500+ and the AVERAGE is $50. $1.5 million a month. Revenue has doubled and profits may be higher still if you've kept costs down. On a BAD month, revenue is back down to $750k. You can sustain the 30k cycling through spending easier because there's always fresh chum flowing through and the ones who stay are surrounded by people.

The smart move is not to be happy with just 5-10% spending and shoot for more people buying at smaller amounts. But it's a tempting (dumb) business model.

but the other end of it is, how long vs the old way, yes they would get more, but would it damage things in the long term squishing it actually to less over all if it runs people away then they would have made by not doing it? like, if you pick a plant slowly, it CAN come back, but to like do it over and over really quick it just falls over and dies off :(
    eywdK7c.jpg
  • jon1764jon1764 Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    What Cryptic is assuming is that everyone who is playing, has been playing for a long time. So they think we all have level 50 gear, and we were at level 50 for a long time.

What they fail to realize is that new players do not have level 50 gear. Most players already have high-end gear, but not the new ones. New players probably have Solanae set or Jemhadar set from the FE's.

It is really easy for pre-DR players to level up through content, but us newer players are having the expectation that we should have been playing before DR.
  • jkersjkers Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I agree with all that is being said....I am a Lifer..and did buy the delta pack...playing a Guardian with one toon..and a phantom on another...and my main is in a t5-u escort,which would kick the other two ships butt in a flash and is actually more fun to play!!! even in this grindng BS!!! I am far from an elite player and like most...those that play on normal setting..am getting tired..I don't want to try and keep up with the 1 or 2 percent that are legends in their eyes...I just want to play a game..have some fun...I own my business..up at 5 A.M and get home when I get there..usually by 9:00 P.M...kiss the wife..grab a bite to eat..and feel I have to start working all over again...I JUST WANT TO PLAY A GAME!!! AND RELAX!!...Before DR..it was fun..could get on do a couple of stf's mine some dil...do some patrols..a couple of red alerts( which suck because the uni-cucumber thing never shows up at the end!) and go to bed feeling like I had some fun...not anymore. I log on because I do like this game.errrr.what was a game, and now is just more work, because I have put money and time into it and feel I have to LOL..get my monies worth....if i'm rambling..I apoligize, probably the Budweiser and Makers kicking in. It would be nice to get this game back to where it was before DR...for those of us that are normal players...and they,Cryptic could still have the super hard content for those that can play the super elite's...they, the elite's don't want us in there anyways,so......
  • neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    This thread needs a song Let it Go
    GwaoHAD.png
    edited November 2014
    neoakiraii wrote: »
    This thread needs a song Let it Go

how about....working in a coal mine by DEVO?? would be fitting
    edited November 2014
    well....off to just mine some dil...then goto bed...5A.M comes quickly...espeacially when its a saturday ... G'night and maybe g'morning to some..
  • mirrorterranmirrorterran Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited November 2014

Here's the F2P trick.

I've been telling people this for ages but it's a hard concept to grasp.
    The general belief is that gaming companies go free to play because they are about to go bankrupt.
    No, they go free to play to make more money than they already were.
  • futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I just don't understand what their plan is. Their goal, their "endgame" if you will for the game. Profit, obviously, but the game was clearly profitable before these changes.

The game itself isn't that great, but it had some clear advantages over competing F2P games. Advantages that actually made it possible to recommend the game, in spite of its flaws. Now the advantages are gone, but the flaws remain.
  • originalkaticoriginalkatic Member Posts: 81 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    betayuya wrote: »
    Any company who follows this path has sold it's soul to the devil

I completely agree, and I said as such when PWE came in. When PWE bought Cryptic I went and read up on their other games, Lockboxes, random boxes, lockbox currencies (lobi) all of it is par for the course for PWE, and I went around like Cassandra calling attention to it, trying to warn the playerbase, and nobody listened, everyone said I was crazy and paranoid..
    Except those people buy more overpriced garbage than anyone. Every ship for every trait, all their gear up to gold 14, every lobi console, on and on and on.

Which is exactly why PWE/Cryptic wants them to hang around and be caught in the grind between Content releases, they want them to stick around & buy all the time not just when they come back for the new content.
    talien wrote: »
    Except it's not the 1%ers that generate a majority of STO's income, it's the average joe players who spend $20 on zen here and there, and maybe get suckered into impulse buying a lifetime membership when they go on sale or one of the megabundles like the LoR or DR packs because ooh, shiny!

You misunderstand which 1% I'm referring to, I'm not talking about the ones that stick around PvPing between Content Releases, I'm talking about the ones who come back, buy up new ships and buy Zen for Dil to upgrade and gear up, do the new content, grind for marks (or whatever) to get the special gear, then leave until they hear about new content, I call them Content Tourists, they stop in, but don't stay, PWE/Cryptic wants them to stay, so they make everything they (and the rest of us) do as grindy as possible and encourage even more trips to the cash shop in the interim.

Lev gets it, btw, how have you been Lev? Long time no see.
    Original Join Date: January 2010. Ragequit Date: January 7th 2012. Return Date: October 23rd 2014.

Almost called it.