test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Which T5s are Worth Upgrading to You

jagdhippiesjagdhippies Member Posts: 676 Arc User
I am not sure there is a T5 worth upgrading to me. After DR I am down to just 1 toon, my fed tac, so I am looking at tac heavy options. Here is what I have available:

Steamrunner and fleet defiant
- My free T5U plesh brek can do everything they can, albeit with fewer HP

Oddessy, fleet excelsior, fleet avenger
- My free T5U chel grett can do what they can, albeit with fewer HP

The fleet HEC looks appealing since it has a hangar, but I am not sold yet. I also have the charal, but a fifth forward weapon alone is not worth a token to me.

What have you found to be worth or not worth upgrading.
My carrier is more powerful than your gal-dread
Post edited by jagdhippies on

Comments

• heckgoblinheckgoblin Member Posts: 685
    edited November 2014
    Very glad I upgraded my Nicor. It became, really, the ideal ship for me. 5 tac consoles, 4 sci, 2 eng... can't go wrong with that.
    I AM WAR.
  • lordkhoraklordkhorak Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If there's one thing your other options can do that the Plesh Brek and Chel Grett can't do, it's look good.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • vindicivuotovindicivuoto Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Taking the opportunity to inquire if the Vesta can be upgraded. And what extra console slot does it get, if any?
  • gulberatgulberat Member Posts: 5,505 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    My Vesta and Dromias are behaving themselves. The Dromias wasn't as well geared in certain areas (shields were TRIBBLE) but I am in the process of getting a Fluidic Counterassault set to remedy that.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
    edited November 2014
    Taking the opportunity to inquire if the Vesta can be upgraded. And what extra console slot does it get, if any?

The extra slot on the Vesta depends on which of the three variants you have.

Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM for more. :-)
    Proudly F2P.  Signature image by gulberat. Avatar image by balsavor.deviantart.com.
  • zulisvelzulisvel Member Posts: 518 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    My personal opinion is that currently 9 console ships are not worth the upgrade token but 10 console ships are. Of course that's subject to change once T6 fleet ships roll around.
  • timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Haven't encountered anything my Fleet Sovereign T5-u couldn't handle.
    She is a formidable battlecruiser now (doesn't mean she can use dual cannons, of course). :)
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • vindicivuotovindicivuoto Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    gulberat, am I right in thinking that the Surveillance variant gets a science slot, the Strategic variant - an engineering slot, and the Reconnaissance one - a tactical slot?
  • rattler2rattler2 Member, Star Trek Online Moderator Posts: 58,456 Community Moderator
    edited November 2014
    If you want to upgrade a ship to T5U, go with one you're most familiar and comfortable with already. For example, I'd upgrade my Vesta on my sci because I'm comfortable with that ship and know how to fly her. Same with my Fleet Mogai on my Romulan. Already got a T6 Guardian on my main, who used to fly an Assault Cruiser Refit. But I still plan on upgrading the Lexington at some point because I just love that ship.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The extra sci console on the D'Kyr is nice. In all honesty, I don't see any real need to upgrade anything, though. It was a fun progression thing for me until they made it so fast the master ships, now it feels like a waste of 8 mil ECs on ships that were already performing fine. Maybe I'll change my mind once I get more confident about doing Elites.
  • theirresponsibletheirresponsible Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I am going to assume that the real question is.

"What T5 ships that require an upgrade token are worth upgrading to you?"

For me as a life timer and someone who purchased the delta pack with dilithium conversion, free fedy ships + bonuse for the price of the 4 ships I wanted. I already have 4 tokens on my account.

First upgraded ship will probably be the Scimitar after I get the ship traits off the two T6 Romulan ships.

After that I do not know. My KDF characters will be good with the two T6 ships, 1000 day ship, Free T5U ships. Bortas, Mogh, Torky could be upgraded if I get bored waiting for new T6 KDF ships.

Romulan Ar'Kif could get upgraded again if new T6 ships take to long to arrive.

Federation I got the delta pack and do not play them much, so fedy ships will be rolling out as I am still leveling up the pack ships.
    edited November 2014
    gulberat, am I right in thinking that the Surveillance variant gets a science slot, the Strategic variant - an engineering slot, and the Reconnaissance one - a tactical slot?

I actually can't remember which mine is...embarrassing...and I can't look in-game at the moment. I do know that I picked up a science slot.

• dragonsbrethrendragonsbrethren Member Posts: 1,854 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    gulberat wrote: »
    I actually can't remember which mine is...embarrassing...and I can't look in-game at the moment. I do know that I picked up a science slot.

Aventine class, the Reconnaissance explorer. I regret not getting it now -- the whole reason I got the Vesta class was the 5th science console.
  • medalionemissarymedalionemissary Member Posts: 612 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I have uprgaded and actually played on my

Jem Dread
    jem attack ship
    Vesta ship

The rest were the T6 ships from the pack... I mainly manned the Engineering 4 nacelled ship, forgot its name again
    Deep Space Nine in HD, make it so!
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Ignoring the free T5U upgrades for my Recluse and JHDC, I have only upgraded my Galaxy and Tulwar. Someday I plan to upgrade my Sci Oddy and a handful of other ships.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
  • reginamala78reginamala78 Member Posts: 4,593 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Vesta tac version. 5 sci consoles plus 4 tac consoles, you can do a lot of mean things with that.

T'varo. The new Rom Intel ship can do the same EBC stuff plus the Intel stuff, but that universal LtCmdr gives the T'varo just so much flexibility, and is a damn good ship besides, and isn't a funny-look T6 design.
  • veepnovaveepnova Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    So far I have upgraded my sci oddy, but I feel like it cant keep up in comparison to the Eclipse. Advanced Obelisk carrier is doing fine upgraded, but my T5U fleet K'Tinga is by far my favorite T5U. 4 engineer, 3 science, and 4 tactical consoles are a nice spread.
  • royalsovereignroyalsovereign Member Posts: 1,344 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    So far I have only upgraded my Dyson ships, since they were free. Having the standard skins available makes the Klingon one usable - it was so hideous before that I just couldn't bear to fly it.

My main is my Fed-Rom, and for her I bought the Aelahl, so my Kli-Rom benefits from that. I doubt that I'll pay to upgrade any non-freebie T5s for them.

My Klingon (actually a KDF Alien-gen Romulan from before LoR) uses the Dyson now during the MU event. I'd been using the Varanus for her, so I'm toying with the idea of a fleet/T5U upgrade for that ship, as I do like it. The Torkie is also cool looking - I'd buy it for her if it weren't so darned expensive.

For my Feds, I'm planning on using the Nebula. Probably a fleet/T5U for my favorite one, and standard T5Us for the other two since they're free at that point.

All plans subject to change at a moment's notice. ;)
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • cypherpilot1cypherpilot1 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I've upgraded many of my fleet ships, Defiant, Sovereign, Akira HEC, so far, they've all handled exceptionally well, and Dare I say, do out perform the T6 line. The Fleet Sovereign's 5 Eng 2 Sci 4 Tac layout makes it a deadly machine in the hands of an Engineer or Tactical player, and the Akira's 5th Tac console makes it more efficient in killing things even if you don't pop your carrier pets, cause I forget to on many occasions. The Defiant's 3rd Eng slot adds some flexability with either tossing a Universal or some armor in to improve its resistances

As for Warbird, Fleet Mogai T5U is amazing lol, Tanky and Tactical, which is what i love.
    edited November 2014
    skollulfr wrote: »
    i like the look of the feds hiigaran battlecruiser replica, despite not looking very ufoper. but not for 3 tac consoles.
    Hrm, wth is that thing? I kinda dig it.
    "You Iconians just hung a vacancy sign on your asses and my foot's looking for a room!"
    --Red Annorax
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I dunno. I put my feddie back into that pos ambassador, my kdf tac back into his mirror qin and I'm thinking about putting my kdf engie back into that kamarag cause the Chel Gret don't bend sci like I prefer.

The thrill is gone, baby.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • stardestroyer001stardestroyer001 Member Posts: 2,615 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    First ship I upgraded, and mastered, was (predictably) my Fleet/T5-U Rhode Island (Nova). :D

I approve. My FED sci's primary ship is still the Fleet Nova. I really ought to upgrade that to T5-U.
    stardestroyer001, Admiral, Explorers Fury PvE/PvP Fleet | Retired PvP Player
    Missing the good ol' days of PvP: Legacy of Romulus to Season 9
    My List of Useful Links, Recently Updated November 25 2017!
    edited November 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    First ship I upgraded, and mastered, was (predictably) my Fleet/T5-U Rhode Island (Nova). :D
    I approve. My FED sci's primary ship is still the Fleet Nova. I really ought to upgrade that to T5-U.

Some guys have to have the latest, fastest car. And some of us drive to work every day in a VW Fox. :)
    --Red Annorax
  • sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    To find what the T5U configuration will be for your T5 ship:

In game, go to a Shipyard, select the ship, select the Mastery tab and click on the Upgrade button. It'll show you when the upgrade will entail.

Out of game, try searching for it on STOAcademy: http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/

I was happy to find that the Gal-R got a third Tactical console slot! I was so jazzed, that I geared her up with a Plasma build with full synergy, complete with Fleet Plasma Infused consoles. She's all tank complete with some great DPS.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • bismarck1975bismarck1975 Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I have a Fed Tac and have been pretty disappointed in the actual Fed ships. I did use the free upgrade on my Adapted Battle Cruiser and Hazari ship. The Rom ABC is a very tough ship in T5U form once you get the upgrades unlocked. She is tanky as hell now while still providing good damage.

As for the Hazari, it is very survivable now with the Attack Pattern traits, and with the 5th tac console, kills it in damage. Very happy with that ship. A 5th forward wep slot would be nice or even a hanger but that would be way overkill. Very effective ship as it sits.

*-hopes for some decent T6 Fed ships in the near future that do not look alien).
  • ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    Chel Grett - a great ship gets better.
    Vesta - no brainer. As good or better than the T6 science based on yourplaying style.
    Scimidar - still the nastiest ship in the game.
  • tekehdtekehd Member Posts: 2,032 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I upgraded my Scimitar, Galaxy-X, Avenger and Mogh to T5U
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    On the Mastery front, only Mobius Temporal and Adapted Destroyer really stand out, cuz they both have +15% CrtD and +2.5% CrtH, plus +10% All Damage. That 15% CrtD alone is an entire Bioneural console; and the 2.5% CrtH more than an entire SOR.

Rest of the Mastery on the ships I have focus too much on a bit of extra shield here and there, or some extra damage resists.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • groomofweirdgroomofweird Member Posts: 1,045 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I've upgraded a fair few ships thus far, most I'm happy with, some not so much.
    First I upgraded the ships my three main toons used the most (Kumari on my Fed, Scimitar on my Rom, and Narcine on my Klingon. I have been very happy with all of these, and still prefer my Kumari over my Phantom on the same toon. My Scimitar has been nice, though I have enjoyed it less than I did my kumari (though still fun). and I am very much in love with my Narcine atm.
    Then once I'd mastered those I upgraded some of my secondary ships, my Apex on my klingon, Fleet Avenger on my main and my Fleet Atrox on my Science character. I'm very happy with my Apex, not so sure about my Avenger atm as I'm still tinkering with the weapons load out and my Atrox still makes me sad, I just cant find a way to love it yet.
    Overall (so far) I have found most of them more than capable of matching the existing range of tier 6 ships in PVE and a couple of PVP friendly tests. To that end I do intend to upgrade most (not all) of my existing tier 5 ships as I have liked most of them and now feel comfortable enough with the upgrade system (at least for me anyway), that I am not just throwing money down the pan, but can continue to fly the ships I have enjoyed for so long (for now at least).
    Nimoysig1_zpsr79joxz3.jpg
    "If this will be our end, then I will have them make SUCH an end as to be worthy of rememberance! Out of torpedos you say?! Find me the ferengi!".
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I upgraded my Fleet Assault Cruiser Refit, absolutely worth it. I also have a Guardian with full mastery unlocked and the Assault Cruiser is completely superior in every way. The Guardian was a huge waste of Zen, the FAC with the same gear has better hull, better shields and does more damage. There is nothing the Guardian can do better except use a couple intelligence abilities. While I do really like Ionic Turbulence it's not enough to say the ship is worth 3k Zen.

If I had a Fleet Avenger, I would upgrade that in a heartbeat, I'm considering picking one up just because it's a Tactical Monster.

My Romulan upgraded her Scimitar Dreadnaught Warbird to T5-U as well. Since DR made STO a game where only DPS Matters, the T5-U Scimitar is quite simply the best ship in the game.

Klingon Ships.. I have no idea, like most people.. I don't play one.

For Tier 6, the Eclipse Intel Cruiser statistically is probably the best Fed ship in the game.. the bridge officer seating is second to none.. sadly, it's just to hideously ugly to play.

I really wish they would release an actual Federation Starship with the same setup as the Eclipse.. I would buy it in a heartbeat. It's a shame that they put that awesome layout in a ship that looks like it came out of a horrible Tron remake.
    Insert witty signature line here.