test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Things that bug you in the STO universe.

biersteinbierstein Member Posts: 0 Arc User
Just a for fun thread, anything from the game to the series to stuff even related to STO. Try to keep each below 3 lines making an easy read for players looking for a fun read. Feel free to disagree, that's the best part right?

1. Sisko didn't deserve a promotion. He would have been considered lucky to keep his post as a commander let alone be straight up promoted.

2. Janeway deserved a prison sentence not a promotion (in fact can we pretend that last episode never existed? Thanks!)

3. Cryptic modeled the Talaxians after Neelix when it was clear he was an exception not the rule. If anything they seemed very human like as a whole, Neelix was the annoying fuzzface he is due to serious mental trauma suffered during the war.

4. Seven of Nine agreed to do the voice of herself in game without making them fix her face, cmon cryptic seriously her face looks beyond messed up.

5. I can't have the TR-116 scope in real life.

6. Pre-emptive Cryptic when you "close out" the DR story lines don't forget about the Talaxians drinking problem, seriously did anyone else notice they are all ALWAYS drinking? I wonder what's in those drinks, I almost expected the smuggling op in the DR story to involve it.

7. DR storyline, increase the rewards to compensate for NPCs you remove from missions when you rewrite new content in the place of the patrol spam missions (seriously there's so much story you could fit in whoever wrote that should be fired).
Post edited by bierstein on

Comments

• Options
    tiro100tiro100 Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    8. Richard Castillo looks nothing like the character portrayed by Christopher McDonald. I know there are licensing issues to worry about with using his likeness, but Cryptic, did you have to go out of your way to make the character NOT look like him?
    Playing STO on and off since January 2nd, 2011!
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    9. All the people who call people that disagree with them trolls, white knights, and cryptic fanboys

This is just a method to try and invalidate the other persons opinion or when the other person starts poking holes in the name callers argument.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    benben500benben500 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    10. The Belfast bridge is huge compared to the Defiant's actual bridge on the show.

11. Merging the Preservers and the Ancient Humanoids into one species, despite the Ancient Humanoids having died out sometime when other life was beginning.

12. Species 8472 (Undine) are not actual natural shape shifters, they used genetic modification.

Sorry if I'm wrong about anything in 11 & 12.
    "Bloody explorers, ponce off to Mumbo Jumbo land, come home with a tropical disease, a suntan and a bag of brown lumpy things, and Bob's your uncle, everyone's got a picture of them in the lavatory."
    -Edmund Blackadder-
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    13 Iconians being protrayed as bad guys, dispite everything we've seen of them in the series indicates the oppersite.

14 People who ignore clearly canon material and pretend it did not happen (Look at #1, #2)
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    biersteinbierstein Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    15. People that treat "canon" like a bible. (see #14) 1&2 addressed bad writing rather than pretending it didn't happen. It may be Star Trek but bad writing is still bad writing.
  • Options
    polstarukpolstaruk Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    16. not being able to fly from one star system to another without having to click 'warp' to change sector blocks. I know its an engine ( game not starship) limitation.

17. Mutara sector and nebula location, you have to fly through a transwarp conduit to reach them and on the new map they are way beyond federation space. Funny how Kirk with cadets got there at warp 5 during a training cruise in ST II & in a few hours in ST III.
    Anything that happens, happens. Anything that in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen. Anything that in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again.
    It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order though.
  • Options
    thunderfoot#5163 thunderfoot Member Posts: 4,540 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Not going to use numbers for mine, because I am probably going to get ninja'd, lol.

- People who spend RL currency on a Scimitar and expect it to perform like a BoP
    - People who spend RL currency on a Vesta and expect it to perform like an Avenger
    - People who expect RL currency to be an acceptable substitute for knowledge and skill.

EDIT: Just thought of a few more

- People who expect me to be awed by the size of their epeen.
    - That Ferengi running around the back of the warehouse. Seriously, what genius decided to inflict this on players? He should be locked in a room with every Justin Bieber song ever recorded playing at maximum volume until his ears bleed.
    - The word, 'n00b'. I do not think it means what most people hope it does.
    A six year old boy and his starship. Living the dream.
  • Options
    emacsheadroomemacsheadroom Member Posts: 994 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    18. By 2409, all Starfleet captains are genocidal maniacs, solving all the problems the Federation faces with unrestrained violence, killing thousands and eventually millions of faceless disposable people and being rewarded with promotions and money (marks, dilithium, EC) in an economy that is meant to have grown beyond that.
  • Options
    westx211westx211 Member Posts: 42,215 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    18. By 2409, all Starfleet captains are genocidal maniacs, solving all the problems the Federation faces with unrestrained violence, killing thousands and eventually millions of faceless disposable people and being rewarded with promotions and money (marks, dilithium, EC) in an economy that is meant to have grown beyond that.

Im not adding a point but you do realize that in 2409 we are at WAR after so many wars the federation attitude has changed. And our rewards are what you cal lsegregation of story and gameplay. We are not actually getting dilithium astorywise. What the hell do you think our captains would do with dilithium? Its not that kind of commodity. I'm sure that in star trek people actually get paid but humanity no longer strives for wealth having moved beyond greed. But if they were beyond money entirely trade would be difficult in many areas.
    Men are not punished for their sins, but by them.
  • Options
    marsupilamimarsupilami Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    14 People who ignore clearly canon material and pretend it did not happen (Look at #1, #2)

Brr... 'Treshold' and 'canon'.

polstaruk wrote: »
    17. Mutara sector and nebula location, you have to fly through a transwarp conduit to reach them and on the new map they are way beyond federation space. Funny how Kirk with cadets got there at warp 5 during a training cruise in ST II & in a few hours in ST III.

19. Mutara nebula is not in the Mutara sector.
  • Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    anazonda wrote: »
    13 Iconians being protrayed as bad guys, dispite everything we've seen of them in the series indicates the oppersite
    What kind of bizarro Star Trek have you been watching??

Surely, if they weren't evil they wouldn't be called Demons of Air and Darkness?
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    westx211 wrote: »
    Im not adding a point but you do realize that in 2409 we are at WAR after so many wars the federation attitude has changed. And our rewards are what you call segregation of story and gameplay.

I've personally blown up so many ships in every STF and queued event that I couldn't describe my actions as anything but war crimes.

Even if I were to grant you that the Federation attitude has changed because of all the wars, that doesn't make the Fed's new attitude right. All it does is show you're making a terrible argument in favour of war and murder. It's a glorification of bloodlust and that is not what humanity is supposed to be about in Star Trek, even in the bloodiest pitched battles seen on screen.
    westx211 wrote: »
    We are not actually getting dilithium storywise. What the hell do you think our captains would do with dilithium? Its not that kind of commodity. I'm sure that in star trek people actually get paid but humanity no longer strives for wealth having moved beyond greed. But if they were beyond money entirely trade would be difficult in many areas.

You're missing the entire point of why I have a problem with it. Perhaps our characters aren't receiving dilithium and energy credits and marks in the strictest sense, but the game still offers those things as a reward for gameplay. Cryptic has decided we should be paid (and should in turn pay through the nose for new toys) to feel like being a starship captain in the future is a rewarding experience, when the point of trek was that the activity and experience is its own reward.
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited November 2014

It's not that far beyond Federation space, the sector you are in used to be Federation space until the Borg claimed it, it's only about 200 light years from Earth.

I'd say that's a flaw with the films, not the game, because those travel times are rather ridiculous. Even if the Mutara Nebula was the same distance from Earth, say Alpha Centauri is that would mean we'd be looking at a rather ridiculous travel time (so ridiculous in fact that Voyager could have been back on Earth in less than a year unaided at warp 9).
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    19. Mutara nebula is not in the Mutara sector.

It is in canon. It's Cryptic who got it wrong.
  • Options
    marsupilamimarsupilami Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014

That's what I meant. I was just expanding on what he wrote.
  • Options
    icsairgunsicsairguns Member Posts: 1,504 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I've personally blown up so many ships in every STF and queued event that I couldn't describe my actions as anything but war crimes.

Even if I were to grant you that the Federation attitude has changed because of all the wars, that doesn't make the Fed's new attitude right. All it does is show you're making a terrible argument in favour of war and murder. It's a glorification of bloodlust and that is not what humanity is supposed to be about in Star Trek, even in the bloodiest pitched battles seen on screen.

You're missing the entire point of why I have a problem with it. Perhaps our characters aren't receiving dilithium and energy credits and marks in the strictest sense, but the game still offers those things as a reward for gameplay. Cryptic has decided we should be paid (and should in turn pay through the nose for new toys) to feel like being a starship captain in the future is a rewarding experience, when the point of trek was that the activity and experience is its own reward.

and do what a few other real trek fans have done. stop playing as the federation and play KDF only its the only thing resembling trek left in the game. all the things we are forced to kill fits KDF and our new rank ( TITLE ) Dahar Master is fitting for a warrior with so many KILLS. and no need to worry about money the Empire is still openly greedy LOL
    Trophies for killing FEDS ahh those were the days. Ch'ar%20POST%20LoR.JPG

• Options
    mrspidey2mrspidey2 Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    icsairguns wrote: »
    and do what a few other real trek fans have done. stop playing as the federation and play KDF only its the only thing resembling trek left in the game. all the things we are forced to kill fits KDF and our new rank ( TITLE ) Dahar Master is fitting for a warrior with so many KILLS. and no need to worry about money the Empire is still openly greedy LOL

This. I main KDF because here i can blow up stuff without having to feel bad about it.
    2bnb7apx.jpg
  • Options
    erei1erei1 Member Posts: 4,081 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    My main gripe :

Having ships being destroy left and right, and nobody cares. Hierarchy destroys benthan ships ? No big deal, you say it's bad and let them leave. Players destroy ships ? Doing it all day, no big deal either. Some arguments ? Let's fight to the deaths !
    That's not because you can't see the crew inside that it doesn't mean they are not there. Everytime a ship is destroyed, that's hundreds, maybe thousands dead. And before someone say "escape pods", how many time do you see escape pods ? Once, twice perhaps, in scripted story mission. And even if they were escape pod, we left them to die in space anyway.
    Today, if a ship sink, it's a tragedy, in STO, it's just another day at work.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited November 2014

They way I've always viewed it, the STFs and queued missions happened one time. All the other times they are done, they are just replays or holodeck recreations. Just like replaying the same mission again to get the reward again.
  • Options
    polstarukpolstaruk Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ashrod63 wrote: »
    It's not that far beyond Federation space, the sector you are in used to be Federation space until the Borg claimed it, it's only about 200 light years from Earth.

I'd say that's a flaw with the films, not the game, because those travel times are rather ridiculous. Even if the Mutara Nebula was the same distance from Earth, say Alpha Centauri is that would mean we'd be looking at a rather ridiculous travel time (so ridiculous in fact that Voyager could have been back on Earth in less than a year unaided at warp 9).

Agreed, the time frames do seem out sometimes. I always got the impression though that it was deep inside Federation space, not out passed Kingon space as it is on the STO map.
    Anything that happens, happens. Anything that in happening, causes something else to happen, causes something else to happen. Anything that in happening, causes itself to happen again, happens again.
    It doesn't necessarily do it in chronological order though.
  • Options
    ashrod63ashrod63 Member Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Agreed, the time frames do seem out sometimes. I always got the impression though that it was deep inside Federation space, not out passed Kingon space as it is on the STO map.

Well the Star Charts have it well outwith Federation space altogether, and that's normally the basis for the STO map, so this is certainly fairly reasonable.

I would point out of course that a nebula is normally huge, some are hundreds of light years across (at least according to my quick read through over Wikipedia). If the Mutara Nebula was within a few hours of Earth, you'd know all about it. Then again you've got the JJ-verse where they can reach Vulcan in three minutes, so 200 light years seems fairly reasonable.
  • Options
    hojain2020hojain2020 Member Posts: 417 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The MMO released in the name of Star Trek is a waste of time and money. It had the potential to be so much more but sadly is a time and money sink with extremely repetitive missions and a paper thin story line beefed up with mind numbing patrol missions.
    STO NPC AI LEVEL--->
    bollywood15_zpskyztknwo.gif
  • Options
    calaminthacalamintha Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    How little sense most system maps make. Twisting asteroid "roads", exploded planets frozen in time, and so on.

At least they are usually visually pleasing which was probably the point (or Cryptic sucks at physics).
  • Options
    hartzillahartzilla Member Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ashrod63 wrote: »

Welcome to TOS where the entire galaxy was accessible in a reasonable amount of time if necessary and the Starships didn't explode if you looked at them funny.

But seriously TOS didn't operate on the TNG rules since it wasn't even a gleam in Roddenberry's eye yet. So trying to apply TNG era rules seems rather pointless.
  • Options
    cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    -I've always been bugged by the mission that had me killing unborn Jem'Hadar. Spending my starfleet morning bathing in the blood of the unborn doesn't exactly sound very Trek to me, I feel like that mission should give me the title 'galactic abortionist'.

-Nimbus 3, walking out of Paradise city and instantly thinking I've somehow switched to WoW.
  • Options
    vfpfyasko1vfpfyasko1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I would say that the universe within STO is to small in comparison to what it should be, as well Cryptic dropped the ball in allowing for a territory system of some sorts when they introduced the starbase system. It should take you weeks if not days to get to certain sectors of the universe.
  • Options
    variant37variant37 Member Posts: 867 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    calamintha wrote: »
    How little sense most system maps make. Twisting asteroid "roads", exploded planets frozen in time, and so on.

At least they are usually visually pleasing which was probably the point (or Cryptic sucks at physics).

To be fair to Cryptic on that point, it's not like Star Trek has ever been overly concerned with realistic physics.
  • Options
    jaymclaughlinjaymclaughlin Member Posts: 630 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    That Jean Luc Picard has to specify 'Tea, Earl Grey, Hot'... when the he should only have to say it a couple of times for the replicator to learn that that's what he means when he says 'tea'. No one would want cold Earl Grey anyway!

Same goes for Janeway's coffee order!

Seriously... if my phone can learn to not say 'ducking' after a few corrections, a replicator should be able to learn a drink order!

Also, what's with all the low beams in Enterprise? You'd think they'd at least build the cabins big enough for people to not hit their heads every 2 seconds!

It's the important things that bug me :D
    animated.gif
  • Options
    anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    - That Ferengi running around the back of the warehouse. Seriously, what genius decided to inflict this on players? He should be locked in a room with every Justin Bieber song ever recorded playing at maximum volume until his ears bleed.
    Hahaha ty sir; you made me laugh with that statement. The screams of that Ferengi were indeed a frightening and ear-torturing experience. lol
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!