test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Things that bug you in the STO universe.

Comments

• cptndata1cptndata1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Janeway haters. Seriously you TRIBBLE me the F off. What's the matter can't stand a strong female lead being captain of a starship? I've never understood people's problems with her. OMG HOLY BOLIAN she used a bio weapon against an enemy who was impervious to all other weaponry available and wanted to kill everything in our galaxy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Real join date September 2012
  • cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    cptndata1 wrote: »
    Janeway haters. Seriously you TRIBBLE me the F off. What's the matter can't stand a strong female lead being captain of a starship? I've never understood people's problems with her. OMG HOLY BOLIAN she used a bio weapon against an enemy who was impervious to all other weaponry available and wanted to kill everything in our galaxy.

Strong female leads are perfectly fine. Poorly written characters and stories are not.
    edited November 2014
    westx211 wrote: »
    Im not adding a point but you do realize that in 2409 we are at WAR after so many wars the federation attitude has changed. And our rewards are what you cal lsegregation of story and gameplay. We are not actually getting dilithium astorywise. What the hell do you think our captains would do with dilithium? Its not that kind of commodity. I'm sure that in star trek people actually get paid but humanity no longer strives for wealth having moved beyond greed. But if they were beyond money entirely trade would be difficult in many areas.
    cormoran wrote: »
    Strong female leads are perfectly fine. Poorly written characters and stories are not.
    I never saw a poorly written story watching voyager. What was a poorly written story were the TNG movies, with maybe the exception of first contact.

Poorly written character? Yeah she changes throughout the show but in my eyes it's character development. She's coming to grips with the fact the great and mighty federation ideals aren't so great and mighty after all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• cormorancormoran Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I never saw a poorly written story watching voyager. What was a poorly written story were the TNG movies, with maybe the exception of first contact.

Poorly written character? Yeah she changes throughout the show but in my eyes it's character development. She's coming to grips with the fact the great and mighty federation ideals aren't so great and mighty after all.

Then you didn't look very hard. Voyager is single handedly responsible for the worst star trek episode ever to air on television; Threshold.
  • virusdancervirusdancer Member Posts: 18,687 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Captain Janeway reminded me too much of Major Fleming.
  • solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    STO specific one here:

The fact that torpedoes are no-where NEAR as potent as they were in the TV episodes.

That one bugs me as well. It feels as if we are chucking pebbles with substandard slingshots.
  • anothervisitoranothervisitor Member Posts: 414 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    That one bugs me as well. It feels as if we are chucking pebbles with substandard slingshots.
    Indeed. Even when the shields are down, they feel underpowered.
    Tyr shall give me strength!
    For the glory of Tempus!
    I am the hands of Shar!
    Flames of Kossuth, protect me!
    Oghma, grant me knowledge!
    Lolth commands, and I obey!
  • solarwraithsolarwraith Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I never saw a poorly written story watching voyager.

Thank you for a good laugh, the levity you've provided is much appreciated.
    edited November 2014
    valoreah wrote: »
    Guess you missed the episodes like "Fairhaven" and "Threshold" then....
    I have, only seen up to season 4 atm, so i can't comment on those episodes. Every series has its wtf moments though. ToS, gamers of triskelion for me. TNG, the eden planet. Voyager, none that seem overtly dumb atm. DS9, haven't watched it yet, Enterprise, haven't watched it yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• twofatnutstwofatnuts Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I agree voyager story sux balls for starters i agree that delta quadrant was strugling with borgs so most of living there species developed some counters to fight them same as federation did however when federation needed some massive fire power and coordinated attacks to bring down single borg cube in voyager series borgs seems to be very weak they cant even capture very small voyager ship what the hell i ask?

Borgs supposed to spread havoc across the galaxy even "Q continuum said to Q dont TRIBBLE off the borgs" but in voyager they are whiny biching wusses they cant assimilate coz of magical protection my TRIBBLE. This is soo cheap why comunity even picked voyager storyline? i would like what happend with gomtou from tin man or what happend with V'ger or what was that mahine world that builded bulky body of V'ger or what was that overpowered race that builded that massive whale probe that vaporised all ocens on earth or how was possible with avaible on enterprise technology to instant travel to center of galaxy and back thanks to that veird alien so many good stories stamped by TRIBBLE delta quadrant.
  • noxteregnoxtereg Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Top 3 things that bug me.

1. People who constantly complain and are negative.
    2. The spammers selling EC and whatever else through that 3rd party website in zone chats.
    3. The politics, religion, or lack of, discussions in some zones like ESD.
    edited November 2014
    twofatnuts wrote: »
    I agree voyager story sux balls for starters i agree that delta quadrant was strugling with borgs so most of living there species developed some counters to fight them same as federation did however when federation needed some massive fire power and coordinated attacks to bring down single borg cube in voyager series borgs seems to be very weak they cant even capture very small voyager ship what the hell i ask?

Borgs supposed to spread havoc across the galaxy even "Q continuum said to Q dont TRIBBLE off the borgs" but in voyager they are whiny biching wusses they cant assimilate coz of magical protection my TRIBBLE. This is soo cheap why comunity even picked voyager storyline? i would like what happend with gomtou from tin man or what happend with V'ger or what was that mahine world that builded bulky body of V'ger or what was that overpowered race that builded that massive whale probe that vaporised all ocens on earth or how was possible with avaible on enterprise technology to instant travel to center of galaxy and back thanks to that veird alien so many good stories stamped by TRIBBLE delta quadrant.
    "Number one is the universal translator offline or malfunctioning?"

"No sir, universal translator fully functional."

"Hmm ok then, speech patterns must be too complex for our systems, yes of course thats it. Make a note in the ship's log, helm, ahead, warp 8.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• catoblepasbetacatoblepasbeta Member Posts: 1,532 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Weird imbalance in difficulty vs reward in different NPC factions. Factions like Mirror Universe and True way are definitely easier than the likes of the borg and the Vaadwaaur, but rewards for defeating them are the same for any ship in the same weight class.

The Romulan Republic vs Star Empire. I know why Cryptic did what they did (Evil factions 'don't sell enough' according to them) but that doesn't mean I like it. Completely innapropriate for one of Starfleet's iconic adversaries to be made 'family friendly' like that IMO. And to add insult to injury, the Republic isn't even a complete, independent faction, and shows no signs of ever becoming so.

Breen. What's with all the 'Arnold Shwarzenegger as Mr Freeze' level cold jokes? The Breen on the shows always seemed secretive and sinister. The ones in STO are basically Nausicaans or the more bloodthirsty Klingons.

Dangling plot threads-Taris, alt-verse T'Nae, the Hurq, the Romulan Star Empire, etc. Cryptic seems to have a difficult time standing in one place long enough to actually finish anything.

The whole T5u/T5.5u/T6/T6.5 thing. We should just have had T6/T6.5

Uncustomizable Boffs/limit 1 per character boffs. Seriosuly what's up with this? We can have multiple ships of a given non Starfleet/KDF/Republci design, multiple doffs of the appropriate species to man them, but only one Breen/Jem'Hadar/Hierarchy/officer? It makes it impossible to 'theme' a bridge crew, if that's something you want to do, what's more- many of these don't even have customizable uniforms! IMO this is most particularly vexing with the Embassy boffs.

Double standard in Republic/Ally content. I like my Rom characters, and I like my Starfleet/KDF characters. So how come the Republic gets almost all of the toys of their allies, but their allies don't get squat in regards to Republic content? I know Cryptic did this to pad out the Republic content and make it seem more attractive, but it certainly doesn't seem fair. Romulans get access to the best boffs in the game, but simultaneously get access to every one of their allies boffs (including their Borg Engineer) etc etc.

The Singularity core mechanic. Seems rather nonsensical IMO, and actively punishes actually playing like a Romulan because singularity only increases in combat and decreases out of it (and thus discourages playing a cloak and decloak cat and mouse sort of game). Seems like a mechanic that would have fit the Klingons more, IMO.
  • bobosmrade1bobosmrade1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Constant nerfing of hard PVE contest that makes the game easy and boring.
    Cave Troll vs Forum troll
    Know the difference
    It could save your life...
    rushatsi wrote: »
    pvp? whats dat?
    Pervert vs. Pervert!:eek:
  • maxvitormaxvitor Member Posts: 2,213 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    polstaruk wrote: »
    16. not being able to fly from one star system to another without having to click 'warp' to change sector blocks. I know its an engine ( game not starship) limitation.
    I can see the screaming now from all the people having time wasted because they kept transitioning into a different sector accidentally by flying too close to a sector border, the "click" while irksome is probably the safest method of dealing with map transitions with this engine.
    There are so many things that bug me in the STO universe where would I start?
    Ok,
    -Glowing consoles and interactable objects, it looks silly, unrealistic and it detracts from immersion and from the artwork of the environment. For me it would look much better if they had it so that it only highlights if you mouse over it.
    -Ship flight capabilities, ya I get it, ships at sea in space, but in the shows and movies we see a number of times those ships doing the occasional aerobatic maneuvers as well as having full vertical axis mobility, while in game we are stuck with silly 2 dimensional flight with a limited pitch axis ability. We could never in this game rise from cover to fire into Khan's rear or roll to fire at the underside of a Sona ship. While I can accept some limitations I think these ships are too limited. I think the delays of slower turning rates and inertia for larger ships etc., provide enough of a balancing factor to keep larger ships from acting like fighter jets while still allowing the smaller ships to have the characteristics that they should be capable of without stupid arbitrary limits to axis' of mobility.
    -Bugs, graphic errors, some minor, some major, some that have been around way too long. Ya, I've heard to old mantra about software development but you can't keep hiding behind that indefinitely, especially when some of the things that are broken are things you expect people to pay for.
    I could come up with more but whatever...
    If something is not broken, don't fix it, if it is broken, don't leave it broken.
    Oh Hell NO to ARC
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    She broke the Prime directive(more than once), the Omega Directive, and the Temporal Directive(more than once). It's not that I hate women captains or anything. She was simply a BAD officer who routinely broke the rules, and damn near committed genocide a few times.
    I don't know - don't get me wrong, Threshold was an abomination that is best forgotten.

But I, personally, feel that the final Enterprise episode, 'These are the Voyages', was very, very nearly as bad.
    Even the guys who made Enterprise say it was one of the worst moves they ever did and should of left it at the previous episode for the series finale. I mean thing that ticked me off about that episode. Spend all this time wondering about the speech, THEN YOU NEVER SEE IT!!!! :mad:
    I have, only seen up to season 4 atm, so i can't comment on those episodes. Every series has its wtf moments though. ToS, gamers of triskelion for me. TNG, the eden planet. Voyager, none that seem overtly dumb atm. DS9, haven't watched it yet, Enterprise, haven't watched it yet.
    You haven't even seen anything yet pal. It goes down hill QUICKLY.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited November 2014

I would direct you to watch SFDebris. The insights on Janeway and the like are done for humor and intelligence. The biggest spot to show poor writing as sighted for Janeway was Sisko was not written as the black captain. He was just the captain. Janeway was written for use as a female captain. And multiple writers made her personality swing back and forth on topics with in a few episodes so she sometimes came off as jarring. Also because the premise of the show was to be lost they really had to keep handing them an idiot ball to keep them from getting home. In similar circumstances Kirk, Picard, or Sisko would have played with the slipstream and used it repeatedly for short jumps to bring a trip of years down to months. But to keep the status quo they decided to scrap it and give up on it. That is where Janeway hate comes from. Not she was a woman or a strong woman. But she was not consistently written well and had to take the blame for supporting the show premise.

Things that bug me in STO.

Divide et Imperia.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
    edited November 2014
    So did every other Trek Captain. Why should Janeway be any different?

Because of the bad writing and how she went about it. She went about it as a half cocked maniac who'd reach for a bigger sledge hammer to knock down a problem.

Kirk only did it as a last resort, and well Sisko only did it again as a last resort. For Janeway, she reached for it the moment it became available.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • centaurianalphacentaurianalpha Member Posts: 1,150 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Entitlement whiners. I'm as unhappy as anyone with increasing costs, nerfed rewards, and layers of unfixed bugs, but ultimately we can't blame anyone but ourselves if we stay here beyond the fun threshold... :rolleyes:
    Expendables Fleet: Andrew - Bajoran Fed Engineer Ken'taura - Rom/Fed Scientist Gwyllim - Human Fed Delta Tac
    Savik - Vulcan Fed Temporal Sci
    Dahar Masters Fleet: Alphal'Fa - Alien KDF Engineer Qun'pau - Rom/KDF Engineer D'nesh - Orion KDF Scientist Ghen'khan - Liberated KDF Tac
    Welcome to StarBug Online - to boldly Bug where no bug has been before!
    STO player since November 2013
  • moonshadowdarkmoonshadowdark Member Posts: 1,899 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Because of the bad writing and how she went about it. She went about it as a half cocked maniac who'd reach for a bigger sledge hammer to knock down a problem.

Kirk only did it as a last resort, and well Sisko only did it again as a last resort. For Janeway, she reached for it the moment it became available.

Uh no. Kirk always picked the path of biggest destruction first. EVERY captain does. The whole existence of the Directives is solely just to break them so the captain seems really cool.

You just don't like Janeway. And you know what? That's okay! Not everyone likes the same captains. I hate Sisko. Too loud, too obsessed with baseball and the whole "Half Wormhole Alien" character development subplot just seemed really really stupid to me. So what? My choice of captains doesn't make me any less of a fan, just like you.

Different Strokes for Different Folks.
    "A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP"

-Leonard Nimoy, RIP
  • tilarium1979tilarium1979 Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I don't know - don't get me wrong, Threshold was an abomination that is best forgotten.

But I, personally, feel that the final Enterprise episode, 'These are the Voyages', was very, very nearly as bad.

Ummm... when it comes to "These are the Voyages", you have to remember one thing, It's just another episode of TNG.
    Weird imbalance in difficulty vs reward in different NPC factions. Factions like Mirror Universe and True way are definitely easier than the likes of the borg and the Vaadwaaur, but rewards for defeating them are the same for any ship in the same weight class.

The Romulan Republic vs Star Empire. I know why Cryptic did what they did (Evil factions 'don't sell enough' according to them) but that doesn't mean I like it. Completely innapropriate for one of Starfleet's iconic adversaries to be made 'family friendly' like that IMO. And to add insult to injury, the Republic isn't even a complete, independent faction, and shows no signs of ever becoming so.

Breen. What's with all the 'Arnold Shwarzenegger as Mr Freeze' level cold jokes? The Breen on the shows always seemed secretive and sinister. The ones in STO are basically Nausicaans or the more bloodthirsty Klingons.

Dangling plot threads-Taris, alt-verse T'Nae, the Hurq, the Romulan Star Empire, etc. Cryptic seems to have a difficult time standing in one place long enough to actually finish anything.

The whole T5u/T5.5u/T6/T6.5 thing. We should just have had T6/T6.5

Uncustomizable Boffs/limit 1 per character boffs. Seriosuly what's up with this? We can have multiple ships of a given non Starfleet/KDF/Republci design, multiple doffs of the appropriate species to man them, but only one Breen/Jem'Hadar/Hierarchy/officer? It makes it impossible to 'theme' a bridge crew, if that's something you want to do, what's more- many of these don't even have customizable uniforms! IMO this is most particularly vexing with the Embassy boffs.

Double standard in Republic/Ally content. I like my Rom characters, and I like my Starfleet/KDF characters. So how come the Republic gets almost all of the toys of their allies, but their allies don't get squat in regards to Republic content? I know Cryptic did this to pad out the Republic content and make it seem more attractive, but it certainly doesn't seem fair. Romulans get access to the best boffs in the game, but simultaneously get access to every one of their allies boffs (including their Borg Engineer) etc etc.

The Singularity core mechanic. Seems rather nonsensical IMO, and actively punishes actually playing like a Romulan because singularity only increases in combat and decreases out of it (and thus discourages playing a cloak and decloak cat and mouse sort of game). Seems like a mechanic that would have fit the Klingons more, IMO.

+1 to the whole thread, well said! Especially how the Republic gets most of what their allies get but we can't have a damn thing of theirs. They can fly our ships until T5, so why can't we fly their ships until T5? They get our BOffs and DOffs, why don't we get their BOffs and DOffs? Don't give me "but we get Romulans from the Embassy" TRIBBLE. I'm a military officer, I want military officers on my ships, not some civilian. Let me customize their face, body and uniforms to the RR uniforms and RR allied uniforms, then I'll drop that point.
  • gizmox64gizmox64 Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    STO specific one here:

The fact that torpedoes are no-where NEAR as potent as they were in the TV episodes.

UNLESS you're the mirror uni dreadnaught firing your volley of quantums...
    I get hit with that and not only do my full Dyson shields pop to zero, insta regen, and pop again, my Breen warship hull gets a nice gouge to 30 - 55% left.

I want torpedoes like that!
  • gizmox64gizmox64 Member Posts: 321 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Warping / Trans-warping out of the Dyson Sphere...

Wanting Subspace warp or whatever is in D.R. when the Federation can just Trans-warp anywhere.

Watching my ship explode to just respawn 15 seconds later right where I left off; Instead of being disabled for 15 seconds. Death has no meaning in STO, there is no fear of it, no real punishment, no loss of mission, reward, ship / captains ability, nothing.
    edited November 2014
    Bad writing is the obvious answer. Each Captain has made bad decisions in their own way. Singling out Janeway for it is being overly critical IMO.

Oh I'll single out each captain.

Archer. Contaminated so many cultures while bumbling around it wasn't even funny. Prime Directive was made specifically for his screwups.

Kirk. STOLE THE ENTERPRISE THEN GOT IT BLOWN UP! Need I say more?

Picard. Well, disobeyed orders more than once, and well he has a long and distinguished career of almost getting the enterprise blown up more times than we can count. But hell we gave him two just like Kirk.

Sisko. Edrington? Need I say more?
    afMSv4g.jpg

• feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    Oh I'll single out each captain.

Archer. Contaminated so many cultures while bumbling around it wasn't even funny. Prime Directive was made specifically for his screwups.

Kirk. STOLE THE ENTERPRISE THEN GOT IT BLOWN UP! Need I say more?

Picard. Well, disobeyed orders more than once, and well he has a long and distinguished career of almost getting the enterprise blown up more times than we can count. But hell we gave him two just like Kirk.

Sisko. Edrington? Need I say more?

Defenses!:

Archer: Is contaminated the right term?

Kirk: He did not 'get' the Enterprise blown up. The ship was in danger of being captured so he blew it up himself.

Picard: Disobeyed deployment orders to return to Earth and find infiltration of high command. Disobeyed an admiral on his ship by revealing the admiral was violating sworn treaties by decloaking before the romulans. Disobeyed orders and returned to fight the borg and thus saved Earth. Defied orders to walk away while another admiral with blinders on wants to wreck a wonderful resource on a world that isn't federation but is inside the borders now so pfft.
    Sorry of all of these this one is actually the easiest to defend.

Sisko: If you mean not seeing Edington's betrayal and defection, then I wholly disagree. He was foisted onto Sisko to watch over Odo and did his job adequately.
    If however you mean the lengths he went to capture Edington. . . yeah I got nothing.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.