What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

players exploiting the Mirror invasion event

Comments

• Options
    bulvynebulvyne Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I've just started doing STFs, and figured the Mirror Event would be a good one to do to get some Marks....

I've only ran it about 6 times so far, and only once did I see someone float out to the edge of the event and do nothing the entire time. Folks in chat were saying to report him, so I did. Doubt anything will be done of course, but it was pretty annoying.
  • Options
    gerwalk0769gerwalk0769 Member Posts: 1,095 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    salling2o2 wrote: »
    I have been working on four of my toons for the last three day at this event like any event i put the time in a help the team out.

But!! more and more players in the event are going to the side of the map and not take part in the event and they are giving rewards for others work at.

In my book this is a exploiting the game and the event

player play the events to get the rewards they put their time in playing the event and get the rewards for it.

the player exploiting the event should lose all the rewards from their exploit :mad:

I pulled someone from a channel and they did just that. They could have been having technical difficulties but they did not type a thing; just waited and did not respond to team messages.
    Joined STO in September 2010.
  • Options
    erraberrab Member Posts: 1,432 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It gets even better when you get a leecher that insults the rest of the pug for not completing the event fast enough for them and tells them that their not doing it right while they sit at the warp in point and need on everything :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    cpc2011a wrote: »
    This kind of TRIBBLE won't stop until people learn to stop pugging queues. Get with your fleet and run things with them. Lacking a fleet, find one of the popular chat channels, if it looks like nothing is going, just ask and I'm sure there would be enough interest for a near immediate group run.

that would take too long, so i pug em anyways, i have had no problems with any of the runs i have done. thats 4 toons x 6 day = 24 runs (so far)

but sure you will get the occasional rotten apple never falling too far from the tree, doesnt mean the rest of the team should be attacked for it.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    sicjebsicjeb Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm doing this on 14 toons, burned out does not even come close.
    Honestly, I close my eyes to sleep and all I can see are mirror universe ships, phaser beams and grav wells.
  • Options
    ddesjardinsddesjardins Member Posts: 3,056 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    I tracked my 7 toons over the course of 14 days last year during the event, breaking up the runs between pvt's with fleet members, publicelitestf and pugs.

112 Runs, 98 required, the additionals were by accident, too early etc.

AFK/Leechers

Private matches <5%
    PublicEliteStf <15% or 1 in 6 matches we had a AFK'er
    Pugging >25% or 1 in 4 matches had an AFK'er

So far this year the number is much lower, but I'm only half way through on 7 toons. Last year the AFK issue got worse the longer we played.
  • Options
    spaceeagle20spaceeagle20 Member Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Honestly IMO the heart of the matter is that the Mirror Event is very poorly designed.
    Not only is it easy to leech, but its an incredibly boring and mindnumbling dull time-gated event, for no other reason than for it to take at least X amount of minutes.

First of all, Cryptic needs to get rid of that stupid timer and stop time gating the whole event.
    Second, getting Defense Tier 5 should be a primary objective, not a helpful optional.
    And instead of the timer, the event should progress to the second phase once Defense Tier 5 is achieved, but not before.

This gives incentive for people to pull together and work as quickly and efficiently as possible, rather than sitting around leeching.
    Just like killing the Crystaline Entity as quickly as possible is an incentive to actively participate.

This <
    P58WJe7.jpg

• Options
    bortensbortens Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    cpc2011a wrote: »
    This kind of TRIBBLE won't stop until people learn to stop pugging queues. Get with your fleet and run things with them. Lacking a fleet, find one of the popular chat channels, if it looks like nothing is going, just ask and I'm sure there would be enough interest for a near immediate group run.

felt elitist typing that? cause lol its such bull****.
    your attitude wont stop pugging, kid.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    salling2o2 wrote: »
    I have been working on four of my toons for the last three day at this event like any event i put the time in a help the team out.

But!! more and more players in the event are going to the side of the map and not take part in the event and they are giving rewards for others work at.

In my book this is a exploiting the game and the event

player play the events to get the rewards they put their time in playing the event and get the rewards for it.

the player exploiting the event should lose all the rewards from their exploit :mad:
    bortens wrote: »
    felt elitist typing that? cause lol its such bull****.
    your attitude wont stop pugging, kid.

Ahh i swear you guys crack me up...

When saying 'form a premade' becomes elitist attitude and AFKing equals exploiting. You know i think i'm gonna go make some pancakes and exploit them with some syrup and milk. I would just go to IHOP or Dennys and get some pancakes or waffles but i dont want to be an elitist so i'll just stay at home and cook.
  • Options
    vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well when Cryptic calls team farming of Tau Dewa exploiting....

There's another way people are trying to get away with it and the afk penalty where it does apply, it's an attempt to be less obvious about it but it happens more and more of late. It's the 'I expect the rewards, it's my right!' mentality doesn't matter they want the best reward for no effort.

Yes Cryptic don't do themselves any favours but some would do this regardless. They play only 1 character yet farm on 20+ because of the lucrative rewards and since they can't be bothered to play 20+ times they idle. Seeing T1 ships is a bit of a clue though.

This is not a new problem and with elites this is going to become more and more common because why settle for 1 vr item when you can get 2? Fail? then it's the team's fault for not getting what you were entitled to the abusive language has already gone up a notch.
  • Options
    tiekosoratiekosora Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I haven't seen this kind of behavior yet. Only the occasionally clueless player in a PUG that doesn't get the gist of what you're supposed to do. Or even more frequently, players with minimal skills and/or gear who just can't pull it off. What I have seen with more frequency though, is full PUGs that know exactly what to do, and get it done with ample time to spare. Best I have seen is just under four minutes on the timer before the tachyon pulse.
    18EOWbV.jpg

They make a wondrous mess of things. Brave amateurs, they do their part.
  • Options
    scrooge69scrooge69 Member Posts: 1,108 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I know why I almnost only play with premates
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Well when Cryptic calls team farming of Tau Dewa exploiting....

None of this is an exploit (I guess 'exploit' is now the term-du-jour, to grab the Devs' attention). And on Normal this thing is so ridiculously easy, frankly this topic shouldn't even exist for that reason alone.

Yes, peeps AFK-ing is (mildly) annoying. But then people propose all kinds of measures, none of which they thought through well (or at all), and will likely do more harm than good.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • Options
    stoutesstoutes Member Posts: 4,219 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    People AFK'd when this new mirror event started, which I believe launched nearly a year ago. People reported but nothing happened.
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Yes, peeps AFK-ing is (mildly) annoying. But then people propose all kinds of measures, none of which they thought through well (or at all), and will likely do more harm than good.
    ^^This
    scrooge69 wrote: »
    I know why I almnost only play with premates

Monkey PVP FTW! :D
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    There is one measure that can stop the sociopaths in pve pugs: not having forced group content.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 2,529 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    In this day and age, an AFK / leaver penalty means nothing. If they get it, just move on to the next toon. If you don't need to do MU on another toon, go to a battle-zone. With all the battle-zones (Defera, Voth, Undine, and Kobali), there's no real need for queues, they're just faster.
    FaW%20meme_zpsbkzfjonz.jpg
    Support 90 degree arc limitation on BFaW! Save our ships from looking like flying disco balls of dumb!
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    None of this is an exploit (I guess 'exploit' is now the term-du-jour, to grab the Devs' attention). And on Normal this thing is so ridiculously easy, frankly this topic shouldn't even exist for that reason alone.

Yah i do love it when people use the wrong terms to describe the wrong things on gaming forums or overuse words and phrases. It's like i'm reading the news where reporters latch on to these phrases like "shock and awe" or "boots on ground". Except here the words are: toxic, elitist, exploit, and 100 different definitions for what P2W is.
  • Options
    john98837john98837 Member Posts: 761 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Thou Shalt Not Pug

When you violate my first commandment you get what you deserve.
  • Options
    vsilverwings1vsilverwings1 Member Posts: 572 Arc User
    edited November 2014

What I mean is if Cryptic can call that exploiting afking isn't far off it (getting a lot of reward for disproportionl/no effort). Agreed though seeing a problem and hitting it with a Cryptic mallet isn't always a positive thing.
  • Options
    guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    If only reporting these leechers did anything.

I would propose the following pentalties:

1st warning: 24h suspension
    2nd warning: 72h suspension
    3rd warning; 2 week ban and full reset of account. All characters wiped and put to level 1.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I just play 1 character oO

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    ashkrik23ashkrik23 Member Posts: 10,809 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    guilli88 wrote: »
    If only reporting these leechers did anything.

I would propose the following pentalties:

1st warning: 24h suspension
    2nd warning: 72h suspension
    3rd warning; 2 week ban and full reset of account. All characters wiped and put to level 1.

Now that is just extreme. It's obvious who is blatantly afking, but other people may be in the middle of a mission and something comes up, having to leave suddenly.
    King of Lions rawr! Protect the wildlife of the world. Check out my foundry series Perfection and Scars of the Pride. arcgames.com/en/forums#/discussion/1138650/ashkrik23s-foundry-missions
    ashkrik_by_lindale_ff-d65zc3i.png
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    What I mean is if Cryptic can call that exploiting afking isn't far off it (getting a lot of reward for disproportionl/no effort). Agreed though seeing a problem and hitting it with a Cryptic mallet isn't always a positive thing.

Cryptic can go ahead and try to blur the lines between definitions. But that doesnt mean i'm going to do the same.

When i report a problem i dont classify it, that's not my job. The devs, GMs or CSR people can put whatever label they want on it. I dont give a TRIBBLE if they call it exploiting, cheating, misbehaving or clever misuse of gaming mechanics. I'm not going to try and draw attention to a minor issue by putting a label on it that is normally associated with major issues. If i see players not contributing and i think its worthy of a forum thread or a ticket then i just say "lots of players are AFKing in MI event on X day at Y time". Lot of times that doesnt even need a reply back from a GM or CSR cause they have all the info in that one statement. I'm not going to try to hype it up by saying something stupid like "toxic players are exploiting the MI event and causing players to quit playing and PWE/Cryptic to lose revenue you must act now!"...and then say ohh they were just AFKing.
  • Options
    norobladnoroblad Member Posts: 2,624 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I think, last night, of 7 or 8 runs with my fleet of alts, only 2 runs went well. The others... there were at least 3 runs where there were only 3 people IN there. All seemed to be trying, but somehow it started with people missing. In at least 2 more -- I don't know if they were afk or just noubz --- but there was a lack of rift closing that led to about 300 ships killing everyone and the base and stuff like that, one was so bad they didnt even manage to power the defenses, the other managed that but closed like 10 and lost the base. One of those was partly my fault (very badly new to 50 and set aside alt with NO gear) as I know I was not bringing much to the team.

Speaking of junky alts --- yea, bring them. Its free dil and I can't point a finger at someone for THAT, do the best you can though, even with bad gear.

The AFKers seem to be far less than last time around, honestly, but other problems are still making it frustrating sometimes.
  • Options
    burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Love the trend of now anything 'bad' is an 'exploit'

So much so I changed my sig
  • Options
    zuse1970zuse1970 Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm newely back to the game but when it first came out if you were afk during something like this it kicked you out fairly quickly and it added someone else from the que to the event.

Is there some reason they eliminated that? Seemed to work ok back then.
  • Options
    blitzsthblitzsth Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    So far touch wood, I haven't had any AFKers in the mirror events. I have had loads of people with almost no clue or DPS, but I manage to carry them to victory.

So many times I roll my eyes and chuckle when at the end, I look at ACT dps log and I see AI with more DPS then my team mates.

I guess my 2 cents would be to ask Cryptic to add a damage limit to the events, if people do less then 2-3% they don't get a reward. I mean even a complete scrubanub could do 3% damage in an event.