What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

STO steam chart

Comments

• Options
    thutmosis85thutmosis85 Member Posts: 2,358 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    ok forget the last 30 days, the Avg. Players for October 2014 is 2,536.0 that's the highest since June 2013 of 2,595.7 also the Peak Players for October 2014 5,432 is the highest since June 2013 of 6,143 and still discounting may & june 2013 there are more Avg. Players & more peak players then ever.

Which still means squat, if the trend continues resulting in the all-time low Avg. Players for November i.E ... sigh, I thought the "loaf of bread" analogy was pretty obvious ... there is no "loaf of bread" - Expansion in Nov. ...

this peak could be short lived as it was in may & june 2013 you really need to forget these 2 months and measure by the rest.

Why should I ... I was under the impression an "Expansion" was supposed to draw in new players and keep them (at least for a while) ... not "Expansion ... what ... forget it ever happened ... back to below average within 3 weeks"
    Patch Notes : Resolved an Issue, where people would accidently experience Fun.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Which still means squat, if the trend continues resulting in the all-time low Avg. Players for November i.E ... sigh, I thought the "loaf of bread" analogy was pretty obvious ...

that's just the thing its not an all time low.
    as I added to my last comment.

this peak could be short lived as it was in may & june 2013 you really need to forget these 2 months and measure by the rest because sometimes players are bound to flock in for a new season or expansion you need to look at the hard core who play the rest of the time to form an opinion.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    that's just the thing its not an all time low.

That's what i.E. usually stands for ... but IF the Trend continues ... it WILL be ... the only reason the "Average" is so high in Oct, is because it peaked for 2 weeks (you know because people checked out the Exp. and left soon after) ... since there is no Expansion in November afaik another peak is highly unlikely ...
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    That's what i.E. usually stands for ... but IF the Trend continues ... it WILL be ...

what trend, I see no trend.

not till we see the figures for nov & dec.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    edited November 2014
    what trend, I see no trend.

That little graph nosedinving from October 13th till November 3th ... or are you messing with me now ...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-RGXqS1BRvJY/T8hGoroswmI/AAAAAAAAiwo/KEZYtg_a8aA/s1600/1806664188_6c12600a3e.jpg
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Does anyone actually believe that only about 2000 players logged into the game for a particular date through Steam? The numbers just show the maximum amount of players on at a specific time for that date. So if there was 2000 players on at 7 PM and 200 players on at 7 AM, it would show just 2000 players and not over 2200 players.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Sorry I forgot my *Sarcasm Sign* (sigh) -> no you didn't ...

thought it was pretty obvious with my last statement :
    I started typing before your edit, but I would point out from a business standpoint that whether you sell 30 loaves of bread on the 1st and never sell another for the month your monthly sales are still 30 loaves of bread. And if you sold 10 on the 1st, 10 on the 20th and 10 on the 31st your monthly sales are still only 30 loaves of bread.

From a business standpoint the data from 1 particular day is not as important as the data from the entire month, or quarter, or year. If you have 1,800 Average players per day that means you have 657,000 player-days in the game over the year. The peaks and valleys do not matter as much as the total number.

Yearly Averages, as I posted above:

Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 STO averaged 1,854 players per day.

Oct 2012 to Sept 2013 STO averaged 1,833 players per day.

What that shows is that over those 2 years Steams players of STO have gone from 669,000 to 676,000. While there has been no major increase there is no major decrease either. For all the peaks and valleys, events and tragedy STO's played-days have stayed consistent on Steam.

If you believe Steam is an indicator of the game as a whole then we can say that STO has stayed consistent over those 2 years as well. No matter how much doom and gloom some want to spew on the forum. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    alex284alex284 Member Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    That chart only shows declining users if one assumes that the percentage of players coming from Steam has been stable over the last year. Considering the efforts PWE has put into getting people to switch to Arc and getting new players to use Arc, I doubt that's true. (If you're a new player like I was a few months ago and you just google "Star Trek Online" and then download the only client linked to on the official website, then you'll never know Steam exists.)

Over the shorter term we can maybe assume that that's true, but that only means that players have gone down to pre-DR levels. Not awesome, but not DOOM either.
  • Options
    atlmyklatlmykl Member Posts: 305 Arc User1
    edited November 2014
    Steam users have dozens if not hundreds of games on steam alone. They have a short attention span when it comes to games. So it does not reflect the vast majority of sto players.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    starkaos wrote: »
    Does anyone actually believe that only about 2000 players logged into the game for a particular date through Steam? The numbers just show the maximum amount of players on at a specific time for that date. So if there was 2000 players on at 7 PM and 200 players on at 7 AM, it would show just 2000 players and not over 2200 players.

The chart shows peak usage for the sample
    atlmykl wrote: »
    Steam users have dozens if not hundreds of games on steam alone. They have a short attention span when it comes to games. So it does not reflect the vast majority of sto players.

STO wasnt trying to attract steam users to the game?
  • Options
    kavasekavase Member Posts: 771 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Only 955 people are playing on steam right now! I have never seen it so low since it has been on steam!

http://steamcharts.com/app/9900#All

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the servers are acting up though...
    Retired. I'm now in search for that perfect space anomaly.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    From a business standpoint the data from 1 particular day is not as important as the data from the entire month, or quarter, or year. If you have 1,800 Average players per day that means you have 657,000 players in the game over the year. The peaks and valleys do not matter as much as the total number.

From a business standpoint it might not matter if only 5 people log in, but spend 1000 of dollars ... what's your point ... the game would still suck & you would still starve with 29 days without bread ...

Not entirely true though, I'm pretty sure Cryptic spent lots of money on DR ... so the Weekly-Montly Trend DOES matter at least for DR ... it might not be that important for the DOOM-STO-DIES-NEXT-YEAR-CRYPTIC-BANKRUPT-Meter ... I give you that ...
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    If you believe Steam is an indicator of the game as a whole then we can say that STO has stayed consistent over those 2 years as well.

Never said otherwise ... again what's your point I was comparing LoR & DR ... and the current trend with DR is alarming which may result is less players than before ... will the Yearly Averages probably not be that bad ... sure ... will the game die ... I doubt it ... will something which is supposed to be an asset to the game, result in slightly less players & scare them away ... probably ...
  • Options
    dirlettiadirlettia Member Posts: 1,632 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Most figures likely don't represent the majority of STO players.

I have Steam with STO on it and almost never get included in Steam usage figures as I do not launch through Steam.

I have Arc sitting on the computer and almost never start it up so I would never be counted as an ARC user either.

A good portion of us are likley to just launch the game directly from the old launcher than get another program to start it up for us. Does not mean the game is any more or less popular though as only Cryptics own metrics would give that indication and we will never get to see those.

Still waiting to be able to use forum titles
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Only 955 people are playing on steam right now! I have never seen it so low since it has been on steam!

Taking into account that the STO Server has been down for 3.5 hours I would say that is pretty impressive that anyone is playing at all. :)

Those are probably players on Tribble.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014

It's a genuine wonder that it shows 955 people playing considering that the server is down for maintenence. :rolleyes:
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    reximuzreximuz Member Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Uh. . . are we looking at the same chart? I see one that says that STO has a higher average player count than anytime before (except LOR). . . What am I missing?

You clearly aren't seeing the DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!!!!
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    From a business standpoint it might not matter if only 5 people log in, but spend 1000 of dollars ... what's your point ... the game would still suck & you would still starve with 29 days without bread ...
    A person may not be able to survive 29 days without bread. But a business like Cryptic definitely can live with such variance.

You may have a point if there were 10,100,000 players on January, then no players for 5 years, and then 10,100,000 players again - that might kill a game. But that is not even remotely to what we are seeing.

Quite frankly, using the steam chart as a proof that the game is doing bad means a complete failure of understanding statistics or business. A really complete one, not just a "I am just a dabbler so I don't know my way around this very well", but it means completely ignoring what the numbers represent.

That doesn't mean the Steam statistics prove that STO is doing well with DR. For all we know, all those players don'T spend money anymore on STO because they don'T have fun and hate it so much. (But if that is the case, these players should get a grip and stop playing, if you don't have fun, do something else. There is no fracking reason to stick to a unfun game.)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Oh yea, I didn't notice until now, the servers are down but it isn't the normal down for maintenance message.

Never seen a message like this before, maybe they are actually gonna fix the problems like mine where it won't let me buy zen with steam wallet credits anymore.

"Star Trek is currently offline. We are aware of this issue and currently working on bringing the server back online as soon as possible."
    I do not believe the Launcher message has changed since it went offline. What probably happen is that the Tech who puts up the Launcher info used the incorrect version and did not use the weekly Patch update version.
  • Options
    keladorkelador Member Posts: 318 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    shpoks wrote: »
    It's a genuine wonder that it shows 955 people playing considering that the server is down for maintenence. :rolleyes:

Steam counts people who press play as playing but that only launchers the STO launcher that then tells people its still down.

I personally use arc and not steam for STO and before arc I used the launcher as Im not a fan of steam.
  • Options
    ukcaptain420ukcaptain420 Member Posts: 345 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    It's sample data, it's a good idea of the trend, if you ignore the actual numbers and just take the graph, you can see the rise and decline of players logging in.

It's just like a '9 out of 10 people would recommend X'. They didn't ask 10 people, and they didn't ask all the people that use it, but they gathered sample data. That is all this is.

And besides what this tells me is, they made a big release, lots of people flocked to see, then it declined, just like any other release and that we are currently back to the kind of numbers before DR release.

Just look at LoR release, it follows the exact same pattern, except it drew in a bigger crowd.
    SCM - Infected(S) - DMG Out: 11,776,567 DPS: 114,224.70 (28.7% of Team) - Pinky@ukcaptain420
    I reserve the right to have a completely different standpoint depending on my mood.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    shpoks wrote: »

Probably just sees that the program is running (user waiting to login)
  • Options
    shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    kelador wrote: »
    Steam counts people who press play as playing but that only launchers the STO launcher that then tells people its still down.

I personally use arc and not steam for STO and before arc I used the launcher as Im not a fan of steam.
    Probably just sees that the program is running (user waiting to login)

Ah, thanks for the clarification. Never used steam myself so I was not aware of that, I launch STO from the basic launcher.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    A person may not be able to survive 29 days without bread. But a business like Cryptic definitely can live with such variance.

Ahm yeah that's exaclty what I said in my last post ... besides there is a difference between "surviving" and "thriving", and I'd rather see them thrive, especially with Expansions ...
    Quite frankly, using the steam chart as a proof that the game is doing bad means a complete failure of understanding statistics or business. A really complete one, not just a "I am just a dabbler so I don't know my way around this very well", but it means completely ignoring what the numbers represent.

That doesn't mean the Steam statistics prove that STO is doing well with DR. For all we know, all those players don'T spend money anymore on STO because they don'T have fun and hate it so much. (But if that is the case, these players should get a grip and stop playing, if you don't have fun, do something else. There is no fracking reason to stick to a unfun game.)

It seems to me you & others define "doing good" in Cryptic making money & staying alive ... which I think is rather odd (are you Shareholders or Gamers) ... sure it's not a bad thing - more money - more stuff, at least in theory ... but I'd rather have fun & more people to enjoy the game with ... there are less & less players each day now, that's all that matters to me , so I couldn't care less about Cryptics quarterly profit margin ...

PS : Lots of Doom, Kill, End of STO - talk in your Answer ... not sure you're talking to me ... have you even bothered to read my posts ... or is this just "Copy&Paste White Knight - Stuff" -> Negative = Doom
  • Options
    cannydogcannydog Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I used Steam, for playing STO, for a long time. But then I started having consistent issues connecting to the Account Server. So I decided to try installing the game under Arc. And now, since those issues continue, I'll probably go back to using steam. I really don't like Arc!
  • Options
    lucho80lucho80 Member Posts: 6,600 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Uh. . . are we looking at the same chart? I see one that says that STO has a higher average player count than anytime before (except LOR). . . What am I missing?

The LoR spike lasted 2 months. The tiny DR spike is already done.
  • Options
    js26568js26568 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Has the fact that you can use the game without Arc or Steam escaped everybody's attention?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Free Tibet!