Install Arc
Options

STO steam chart

nesomumi2nesomumi2 Member Posts: 359 Arc User
If this is true...
lhttp://steamcharts.com/app/9900#All
well, then this is very bad :(.

helo!!, any one at home cryptic, pw?
those numbers are not for red alert, it is like structural integrity at 20%.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    crusader2007crusader2007 Member Posts: 1,813 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    nesomumi2 wrote: »
    If this is true...

Burn baby burn!!!
    DUwNP.gif

• Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Math...

The average is around 1,800 for the year. It is currently around 3,000. Clearly that means the users are up over the average. At some point they will drop back down to the average, but by then Season 10 will probably be coming and things will jump back up.

Keep in mind that not everyone uses Steam to get on the game. So far the Poll from my Fleet is showing 8% using Steam, but I should have everyone's answer by the end of the week.
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    nesomumi2 wrote: »
    If this is true...

why bad, children?
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited November 2014
    So sick of this. Steam charts are only an accurate representation of those who use Steam. That's it. Only Cryptic and PWE know all of the numbers.

We just had elections and in my state almost every pre-election poll turned out wrong. Either had the wrong candidate winning or the margin for victory way off. Moral of the story: using data from a subset of the whole as a representation of the whole is very often not accurate.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    jackal1701apwjackal1701apw Member Posts: 669 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    TBH, i don't support alot of the things Cryptic have done with DR.

Alot of my fleet have left.
    Alot of my friends have left.

Hell, I have become very close to leaving.

But signs at the moment are promising... more communication, some of the very many things that are wrong are starting to be looked at... little step.

However...

I get really annoyed when ppl keep reffering to the Steam charts, trying to draw conclusions.
    Not everybody uses Steam to play STO. There is the legacy cryptic launcher (alot of Veterans use this). There is also PWEs flagship programme - ARC.

PWE/Cryptic has been trying its hardest to 'MAKE' people use Arc by removing the old launcher downloads from the websites, and putting in Arc rewards/incentives, all during the period of the last year...

Therefore seeing a reduction in numbers on Steam, or a lower peak/faster tail off on those charts between LoR/DR can easily be explained by these other factors.

So please do everyone a favor and stop drawing attention to a graph that is not representative of anything.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

...#LLAP...
  • Options
    trezlanlorentinotrezlanlorentino Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Wait wait, wrestling is scripted?
  • Options
    organicmanfredorganicmanfred Member Posts: 3,236 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I cant believe that a 5 year old target audienced online game is so low scored :rolleyes:

i mean, no other games have been released in the meantime...
  • Options
    tarastheslayertarastheslayer Member Posts: 1,541 Bug Hunter
    edited November 2014
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    So sick of this. Steam charts are only an accurate representation of those who use Steam. That's it. Only Cryptic and PWE know all of the numbers.

We just had elections and in my state almost every pre-election poll turned out wrong. Either had the wrong candidate winning or the margin for victory way off. Moral of the story: using data from a subset of the whole as a representation of the whole is very often not accurate.

Sorry but my statistical ignorance alarm just went off.

Elections are a terrible way to answer this, an election is a decision that is in the ebb and flow right up until someone puts that x down on a piece of paper.

These numbers from Steam are cold hard facts, those numbers are exact for that time. In this case they show that the nosedive from DR is real. Steam users in that large of a sample group are on average going to be the same kind of player as anywhere else, so is this accurate from a statistical point of view? You bet it is.
    Ten soldiers wisely led will beat a hundred without a head. - Euripides
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    chalpenchalpen Member Posts: 2,207 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    that is nothing, guys.
    You could look at that as people are using arc for the promos. But only an idiot would ever think that..

I saw a stat the other day on how people with handlebar moustaches have nearly completely stopped playing Star Trek online.

Need more content cryptic or you will be abandoned by the Hittites but the end of the year.
    Should I start posting again after all this time?
  • Options
    saedeithsaedeith Member Posts: 628 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    All this really says is how many steam players are logging on. 3k is pretty poor regardless but that means (hopefully) quite a few more people are using ARC or running the old launcher.

We'll never get the actual numbers that Cryptic is seeing so might as well not worry about it.
  • Options
    ursusmorologusursusmorologus Member Posts: 5,328 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Math...

The average is around 1,800 for the year. It is currently around 3,000. Clearly that means the users are up over the average.
    Set the scale to 1y and the lowest weekly average is 2540. Where do you get average is less than that?
  • Options
    trezlanlorentinotrezlanlorentino Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I know. Shocked me too when I found out. Last week was rough... >.>;

I need to sit down, well I'm already sitting down, but man this is deep. Next thing you'll tell me the Seattle Mariners were over .500 this year.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Sorry but my statistical ignorance alarm just went off.

Elections are a terrible way to answer this, an election is a decision that is in the ebb and flow right up until someone puts that x down on a piece of paper.

These numbers from Steam are cold hard facts, those numbers are exact for that time. In this case they show that the nosedive from DR is real. Steam users in that large of a sample group are on average going to be the same kind of player as anywhere else, so is this accurate from a statistical point of view? You bet it is.

The Steam numbers are indeed cold hard facts, but only about the people who use Steam. STO is not exclusive to Steam. Ergo it can tell you nothing accurately about everyone else who plays the game through other means. In the same way that an election poll will accurate tell you the attitudes of the sample polled. When you start using this data as a representation of how "everyone" feels, it starts to be come less accurate.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Set the scale to 1y and the lowest weekly average is 2540. Where do you get average is less than that?

Shhh!!! He's got his white armor on! Nothing fact-related can dissuade him from Cryptic's epic l33tness!

(Sorry, this content is HEAVILY sarcastic and pointed at all the cryptic defenders and ignorers of the current plight in which this game finds itself)
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    The Steam numbers are indeed cold hard facts, but only about the people who use Steam. STO is not exclusive to Steam. Ergo it can tell you nothing accurately about everyone else who plays the game through other means.

At no point did I say it was just on Steam. I'm saying that because it has a large number of users it is accurate as a representation of the player base, which it is.
    I no longer do any Bug Hunting work for Cryptic. I may resume if a serious attempt to fix the game is made.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    At no point did I say it was just on Steam. I'm saying that because it has a large number of users it is accurate as a representation of the player base, which it is.

The player base that is using steam, and that is it.
  • Options
    thecosmic1thecosmic1 Member Posts: 9,365 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Take Avg. Players from Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 on the chart, add them up and divide by 12. You get an average for the year preceding DR of 1,854.
    Shhh!!! He's got his white armor on! Nothing fact-related can dissuade him from Cryptic's epic l33tness!

(Sorry, this content is HEAVILY sarcastic and pointed at all the cryptic defenders and ignorers of the current plight this game finds itself in)
    You do not need to be a "white knight" to know how to do basic math. :)
    STO is about my Liberated Borg Federation Captain with his Breen 1st Officer, Jem'Hadar Tactical Officer, Liberated Borg Engineering Officer, Android Ops Officer, Photonic Science Officer, Gorn Science Officer, and Reman Medical Officer jumping into their Jem'Hadar Carrier and flying off to do missions for the new Romulan Empire. But for some players allowing a T5 Connie to be used breaks the canon in the game.
  • Options
    edited November 2014

It could be, but neither of us has any way of knowing for sure. But people want to use it as an absolute set-in-stone measurement of the entire playerbase, which it can't be by itself.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    TBH, i don't support alot of the things Cryptic have done with DR.

Alot of my fleet have left.
    Alot of my friends have left.

Hell, I have become very close to leaving.

But signs at the moment are promising... more communication, some of the very many things that are wrong are starting to be looked at... little step.

However...

I get really annoyed when ppl keep reffering to the Steam charts, trying to draw conclusions.
    Not everybody uses Steam to play STO. There is the legacy cryptic launcher (alot of Veterans use this). There is also PWEs flagship programme - ARC.

PWE/Cryptic has been trying its hardest to 'MAKE' people use Arc by removing the old launcher downloads from the websites, and putting in Arc rewards/incentives, all during the period of the last year...

Therefore seeing a reduction in numbers on Steam, or a lower peak/faster tail off on those charts between LoR/DR can easily be explained by these other factors.

So please do everyone a favor and stop drawing attention to a graph that is not representative of anything.

It is representative of the Steam community that plays STO. Its also a true sample, not a poll or survey, its a monitoring sample. And it shows that sample started playing STO in large numbers, and then they stopped playing it fairly quickly. Also comparing to Romulan expansion, okay we can say there are good reasons why the base is smaller (ARC push, less reason to buy Steam starter pack, whatever), but the curve shows abandonment rate is very poor.

Also, nobody has ever given a good reason why this sample should be ignored as being non-indicative of the overall player base. I mean, there are some possible reasons, more likely to be distracted by Steam sales or something, but thats not an argument really. Is STO trying to get those players or not? The whole point was to get players, and here is a sample we can monitor and ... it failed to hold them. Yes?

Its a sample, its a legitimate sample, it means something
  • Options
    rodentmasterrodentmaster Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The Steam numbers are indeed cold hard facts, but only about the people who use Steam. STO is not exclusive to Steam. Ergo it can tell you nothing accurately about everyone else who plays the game through other means.

Funny how the game was in dire straits and couldn't support itself before the massive burst of steam users when it went F2P... Funny how folks think steam isn't a juggernaught in terms of bringing new markets to a game. Funny, that.... but inaccurate.

Steam did far more for Cryptic and STO than PWE ever did.

P.S. Saedith, you really don't know what you're talking about. The playerbase of steam, due to its massive size, is a representative presentation of the entire playerbase. You can scale it up or down and the behavior will mostly remain the same. That is why, in statistics, a large sample size is important. That is why HERE, when we HAVE such a large sample size, you can draw conclussions from it rather safely. Statistics. It's not just random nonsense. It's a science.

ursusmorologus: It doesn't count because Cryptic math. Remember that? How they tried to use their own statistics rules to show how 1 person that thanked them was representative, yet the entire forum that didn't like something didn't count? That. Only, more of it, and here.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    saedeith wrote: »
    The player base that is using steam, and that is it.

Then tell me how the Steam player base would be inherently different from the others? Because right now all I see is people saying stuff but nothing to back themselves up. Statistics works of samples and this is no different.
    It could be, but neither of us has any way of knowing for sure. But people want to use it as an absolute set-in-stone measurement of the entire playerbase, which it can't be by itself.

I do get what you're saying there, anyone who says that a sample is wholly accurate is an idiot. But what you can't ignore is that it is a sensible representation of the player base. Now if there was only a few hundred people in that chart sure I'd question the accuracy, but a few thousand? That's pretty good.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    I think if you were going to try to use samples to determine what the playerbase is doing you would need samples from each of the ways people access the game. These groups could behave differently. I don't know that they do, but they could.
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    Then tell me how the Steam player base would be inherently different from the others? Because right now all I see is people saying stuff but nothing to back themselves up. Statistics works of samples and this is no different.

No one knows the number on who's playing by other means, old launcher, ARC. Steam may very well be the majority but without knowing the numbers you can't say for certain that steam is an accurate assessment of the playerbase as a whole. It's an assumption at best until proven to be true.
  • Options
    cincyman39cincyman39 Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Wait wait, wrestling is scripted?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO darn you its real its real its real :(
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    thecosmic1 wrote: »
    Take Avg. Players from Oct 2013 to Sept 2014 on the chart, add them up and divide by 12. You get an average for the year preceding DR of 1,854.

You do not need to be a "white knight" to know how to do basic math. :)

Ah you're using the numbers in the table for your monthly average and then using the numbers from the the chart tooltip for your current value? Doesnt work, since the numbers in the chart are not the same as the numbers in the tooltip for the same period.
  • Options
    voporakvoporak Member Posts: 5,621 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    No, it's not good for actual number amounts but it is good for trends. And that trend looks very correct to me. DR is hyped up, so it spikes, then with the whole communication failure, the nerfs, etc. it takes a nosedive. Then our EP comes on and apologizes, so it levels out for a bit, then creeps back down.
    I ask nothing but that you remember me.
  • Options
    generalklanggeneralklang Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I just bought a lifetime sub, and I don't use steam for STO

I expect the majority don't, and I expect people continue to migrate to ARC from Steam for convenience
  • Options
    edited November 2014
    voporak wrote: »
    No, it's not good for actual number amounts but it is good for trends. And that trend looks very correct to me. DR is hyped up, so it spikes, then with the whole communication failure, the nerfs, etc. it takes a nosedive. Then our EP comes on and apologizes, so it levels out for a bit, then creeps back down.

Basically like any mmo.