test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Extra Credit: F2P is Broken!

thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
Please watch this if you have not already seen it. This means you Mr. Developer!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwI0u9L4R8U

Watching this will increase your INT score by +2 points.
STAR TREK
lD8xc9e.png
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    oneratsonerats Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Truth. Every last word of it.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    love them vids and this one applies to sto imo
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Just watched this about 15 minutes ago. :cool:
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    daka86daka86 Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have watch it and i agree whit all that they say.
    I do like the Dota 2 Free to play model you pаy just for costume do not change the gameplay at all. Have you play Star Wars The Old Republic that badly made free to play model. Тhere was very hard to play end game contest whit out paying. Do not get me wrong the story it is great but fails at the end game.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    daka86 wrote: »
    I do like the Dota 2 Free to play model you pаy just for costume do not change the gameplay at all. Have you play Star Wars The Old Republic that badly made free to play model. Тhere was very hard to play end game contest whit out paying. Do not get me wrong the story it is great but fails at the end game.

There was and I cannot remember which hate thread it was, but some idiot had the GALL to say that SWTOR had a better F2P model than STO. This was my reply:

laughing
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • Options
    teknesiateknesia Member Posts: 860 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I do like the Dota 2 Free to play model you pаy just for costume do not change the gameplay at all. Have you play Star Wars The Old Republic that badly made free to play model. Тhere was very hard to play end game contest whit out paying. Do not get me wrong the story are great but fails at the end game.

Yeah but if you pay a sub the prices are more stabilized than they are here plus you get a lot more in terms of game. It's more of a demo not f2p, but that's not a bad thing when you compare it to the grind that is sto* and dr.

* autocorrect :)

But yeah I like swtor model better honestly. I just feel like I know what I'm getting out of it. Yeah there are boxes but the prices on their gtn are nowhere near as bad as the exchange on sto and with the exception of the costume editor I don't feel like I'm getting fived and twentied by the game.
    edbf9204-c725-4dab-a35a-46626a4cb978.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014

not every f2p game on this earth are going to be like PWE

and bash its model all you want game still up and going when some here said it will be shut down within a year because of its bad model ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    illyrian2008illyrian2008 Member Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    talonxv wrote: »
    There was and I cannot remember which hate thread it was, but some idiot had the GALL to say that SWTOR had a better F2P model than STO. This was my reply:

laughing

And some cretin had the GALL to compare working game like SWTOR to broken crud like STO.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    And some cretin had the GALL to compare working game like SWTOR to broken crud like STO.

Granted it works HOWEVER. If you want more than 2 ability bars, non reduced XP earning, ability to wear purple level gear, have access to more than 250k credits, unlimited access to pvp or space fighting or even the ability to post on their forums, gotta fork over the coin of the realm.

yeah great system there.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Granted it works HOWEVER. If you want more than 2 ability bars, non reduced XP earning, ability to wear purple level gear, have access to more than 250k credits, unlimited access to pvp or space fighting or even the ability to post on their forums, gotta fork over the coin of the realm.

yeah great system there.

SWTOR's F2P is intended to drag people into subs, which a majority of their players.

And yes SWTOR works, STO doesn't, the refreshing thing is that nobody there tries to peddle free dog droppings.

And yes, it is great, agreed, makes for a quality game which in the end is cheaper than STO's newest and greatest grinder.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

yeah great system there.

Yeah but you should expect to pay for things. At least its more straightforward with pretty much sub.or this vs cryptics model of slowly timegate everything behind a paywall.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

yeah great system there.

funny to me its still going why because some sub to the game to make it easier for them to play i recall some here saying it be shut down within a year because of its bad model well guess what still up and going ;)

quality you got have to pay for it
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    teknesia wrote: »
    Yeah but you should expect to pay for things. At least its more straightforward with pretty much sub.or this vs cryptics model of slowly timegate everything behind a paywall.

Nickel and dime, SWTOR is cheaper than STO.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Exactly. You can play sto for free and feel like you're missing out or have to grind until the end of time or play swtor and merely have that feeling like with 8 classes, decent PvP and solid end game you may not have time for all of the content.
  • Options
    edited October 2014

with sto you want that lockbox ship make the game you job want to upgrade your gear and ship got to make the game your job with tor i got more story out of that game then i have in 4 years of sto
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited October 2014

But in this game notice we don't have to pay for ANY of that. Don't even have to pay to make all our stuff look the same color. And somehow you find that not fleecing? Wow.

Yeah the game is higher quality, but having to pay for BASICS, that's asnine. And you can't even post on their forums without subbing up. Silly.

Sorry, I don't find that a more successful business model. Frankly WoT has the best I've seen. If you're good enough, and can find a tournament team good enough, you can earn enough gold(currency money buys) and literally get everything in game without having to drop a dime, including sub/premium time.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    edited October 2014
    Exactly. You can play sto for free and feel like you're missing out or have to grind until the end of time or play swtor and merely have that feeling like with 8 classes, decent PvP and solid end game you may not have time for all of the content.

Frankly I was really sceptical of SWTOR, what won me over was alt-freindly approach with legacy (per account/per server), work on one rep between all your characters when you ahve time. Go in with ranged dps today, do different set with melee dps tomorrow, all adds up. Unlike this amazing STO model, omega rep on alts anyone?
  • Options
    daka86daka86 Member Posts: 302 Arc User
    edited October 2014

If chose to drop $ yes but here you can grain for thews items :)
    In SWTOR i have finish the camping and uninstall it. There about to released the final DLC and R.I.P. for them.
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,845 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    It may be true but I still stand by Cryptic's system, it's one of the best f2p systems I've ever played under, heck it is the best.

You can earn just about anything in this game with ponying up a dime...trouble is day and age people want instant gratification and don't want to put the time in to save up the dilithium to covert to zen.

So people buy the stuff with real money then call the game p2w...
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    sorry, I don't find that a more successful business model. Frankly WoT has the best I've seen. If you're good enough, and can find a tournament team good enough, you can earn enough gold(currency money buys) and literally get everything in game without having to drop a dime, including sub/premium time.

sorry i dont find sto a more successful business model too why do you think we get the content we do because you want high priced VO you care more for a new lockbox ship than story driven content face this game will always be rep grind patrols and new lockboxs than any story
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    But in this game notice we don't have to pay for ANY of that. Don't even have to pay to make all our stuff look the same color. And somehow you find that not fleecing? Wow.

Yeah the game is higher quality, but having to pay for BASICS, that's asnine. And you can't even post on their forums without subbing up. Silly.

Sorry, I don't find that a more successful business model. Frankly WoT has the best I've seen. If you're good enough, and can find a tournament team good enough, you can earn enough gold(currency money buys) and literally get everything in game without having to drop a dime, including sub/premium time.

Imagine that, pay for a working game or play free garbage.

And how much do you actually pay in STO?

I have a feeling zero, hence this Crusade because without paying customers you are high and dry.

Guess what, I was a paying customer.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    sorry i dont find sto a more successful business model too why do you think we get the content we do because you want high priced VO you care more for a new lockbox ship than story driven content face this game will always be like this rep grind patrols and new lockboxs

It used to be, while it offered a bit less for f2p than other games offered for p2p.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Imagine that, pay for a working game or play free garbage.

And how much do you actually pay in STO?

I have a feeling zero, hence this Crusade because without paying customers you are high and dry.

Guess what, I was a paying customer.

I am a paying customer too. nice try. hell even bought the expansion pack. Currently enjoying the Phantom, both KDF ships and Both Rom ships so far.

Nice TRIBBLEumption. Hell even subbed for about 8 months on SWTOR and finished many of the stories. Sith Assassin, Agent, Trooper, Jedi Knight, IIRC and got about 2/3 on the smuggler, and half way on the BH.

Plus I can't recall how much I dropped on World of Tanks. So nice try. I have a job.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• Options
    hyplhypl Member Posts: 3,719 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Old, but still an important message.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    It used to be, while it offered a bit less for f2p than other games offered for p2p.

this game has become nothing but a dill grind fest i called it on the new crafting they make it more of a grind than it was called it when i said this xpack be lucky to have even 15 story mission this game is a true PWE game with a star trek logo on it i recall ppl saying when PWE took cryptic PWE was going to let them run the game their way bahahahhaha on every one who said that now

and to add i would sub to this game to turn all the dill schemes in to EC schemes but PWE want let that happen
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    lianthelialianthelia Member Posts: 7,845 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If chose to drop $ yes but here you can grain for thews items :)
    In SWTOR i have finish the camping and uninstall it. There about to released the final DLC and R.I.P. for them.

I wouldn't be so sure, they actually aren't doing to bad and the game isn't that bad monetarily.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I am a paying customer too. nice try. hell even bought the expansion pack. Currently enjoying the Phantom, both KDF ships and Both Rom ships so far.

Nice TRIBBLEumption

no you bought ships not a xpack
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    system Lord Baal is dead
  • Options
    edited October 2014

Nice TRIBBLEumption

So you buy **** then complain about swtor's model that makes it so you buy ****? What?

You can buy dyes off the gtn pretty cheap BTW.
  • Options
    zeus#0893 zeus Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I find his point of the path F2P's are going very valid!

STP/PWE is well down that path and PWE has NW even further down the path.

PWE gets the shinny new gear in the game and a few months down the road it's not worth the time (or in the case of the Whales) the money you paid because they introduced new shinny's and everyone now has to have it.

This is all at the expense of the majority of players and they will not stay because of this path that PWE is taking the game down.

The "Whales" will be the only ones left and once that happens, even they will go elsewhere to become once again the "Whales" in that game.

The PWE model is a failure in the long run and cannot be sustained.

And no amount of chest beating by the UBER minority will change that.

Beat on your chest "UBER" minority and enjoy what you demanded for in the long run, no one will be left to hear you!

Zeus
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    daan2006 wrote: »
    no you bought ships not a xpack

No bought the whole pack. Just haven't gotten to all of it yet. Got the 3 Intel Boffs, Intel uniform, the whole works.

Again nice TRIBBLEumption.
    afMSv4g.jpg