What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I can no longer afford to play

Comments

• Options
    sirokksirokk Member Posts: 990 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    $100-200 per month... for STO. The fleet is forcing you to send them dilithium, etc. All your good gear is suddenly no longer epic...so... its unusable? You can fly only one ship because its the closest to having to Mk 14 gear. And you are bored.

I wish I had your problem.

Perhaps you should consider budgeting. Although the concept doesn't involve instant gratification, you might find it easier too accomplish your goals sooner through prioritization and planning.
    Star Trek Battles Channel - Play Star Trek like they did in the series!Avatar: pinterest-com/pin/14003448816884219Are you sure it isn't time for a "colorful metaphor"? --Spock in 'The Voyage Home'
    SCE ADVISORY NOTICE: Improper Impulse Engine maintenance can result in REAR THRUSTER LEAKAGE. ALWAYS have your work inspected by another qualified officer.
  • Options
    riccardo171riccardo171 Member Posts: 1,802 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've been playing for more than a year. You can totally play without spending a dime. Bought the three Scimitars, Vesta Pack, Defiant-R, Prometheus, Science Odyssey, Excelsior and countless other ships with Fleet ship modules, lower tier ones and other items from C-Store. All of them with dilithium a bit of patience. Actually I've never spent a single € lol.

100-200$ seems quite a lot honestly. but how yoy spend your money is up to you heh.
  • Options
    darkdog13darkdog13 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The crafting system and upgrade system are meant to be massive dilithium and ec sinks both of them are really just slot machines.

Crafting mk 12 weapons looking for a set of modifers is a joke currently if you want something like [crtd]x3 on average you will need to craft 100 before getting 1 and when you are paying 10k dilithium per that is crazy.

Upgrading is more of the same just taking 7 ship weapons from mk 12 to mk 14 costs you 100k dilithium and 105 superior upgrade (which coverting zen to ec amounts to over 600k dilithium needed) or 266 improved tech upgrades which is 252k dilithium plus 208k dilithium if you convert keys into ec. So your talking $45 if you use superior or $30 if you use improved tech upgrades.
    This is only 7 ship weapons on 1 character and its not improving the quality either.

For a gold ship based on test server tests it will cost you around $600-$1000+ to take 1 ship's gear from mk 12 vr/ur to mk 14 gold.

I have spent a total of $45 on this game and that has been for 3 months of gold while i leveled characters getting the free benefits like more inv slots/ account bank.

There is no such thing as free you either spend you time grinding dilithium to trade for someones zen that they have bought from PWE or you open your wallet and buy zen from PWE. If you zen cost $1 per 100 and the exchange rate is 155 dilithium:zen unless your grinding 112375 dilithium per hour you are working for less then US minimum wage. The nerf to stf dilithium makes it a real joke 480 dilithium for completeing a 15 minute advanced stf means if you used stf to grind dilithium you would be working for about $0.12 per hour.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    There's really no need to spend money. From the time they announced 500z-1000z for upgrades I have been mining and holding dil on 7 of my 8 characters.
    During the CCE I finished on 5 of my characters and it gave you a chunk of dil.
    I leveled a character during the bonus xp month and got tier 5 on all reps.
    Three characters have a bunch of the rich dil tickets
    by the time DR rolled around I had 6,600 zen...all converted from dil.
    I bought the phantom for my main and updated the rest of my ships.

as for crafting I am not going to play with that until my characters get to level 15 in their respective schools. There's probably a better way to go about it but I don't know enough about the crafting system to start fooling around with it...perhaps when they get to lvl 15.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    gerudongerudon Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    feiqa wrote: »
    Unlock a few boxes and you can get mining claims for Vulgata. Those can net 4600-5000 if you do well in the mining minigame. (recommend turning down your graphics first as lag can kill you there.)

That still means a lot of time and/or resources and loging-in every day to play the mining game with like 4 characters every day...
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    gerudon wrote: »
    That still means a lot of time and/or resources and loging-in every day to play the mining game with like 4 characters every day...

or you could do foundry missions...it's not going to be an easy answer.
    You either spend money or time
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    quepanquepan Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    though i can understand the OP's fustration . the time it takes to grind out certain resources to upgrade ships gear and still build a star base at the same time. could be seen as a futile endeavor with the F2p model

the game does everything it can to separate you from the dilithium from fleet projects to upgrades to getting rep gear to even convert to zen . while all can be done it does take a considerable amount of time to earn . Crypitcs goal is to really have you Purchase ZEN either directly or thru subs stipend rather than convert Di to ZEN or take that zen and convert it To Di depending on your needs .
    though i think they have stretched it to the point where some feel overwhelmed .

i personally tend to buy zen here and there to show my support , which is why i wont buy a LTS , because in the long run it will cost me more , ive known plenty of LTS that buy zen to buy that new 3 pack or that new expansion pack .For me spending maybe $30 dollars a expansion and grinding out the rest i need . for whatever gear or other ship and goodies .is best in the long run . LTS is great for the moment you buy them but they dont keep current, while your thrown a bone once and a while overall you have too be frugal or spend more to get alot of the new things . i suppose thats the point of a LTS .
  • Options
    guilli88guilli88 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    or you could do foundry missions...it's not going to be an easy answer.
    You either spend money or time

I think a lot of people have issues with the time part. The devs are slowly increasing the time it takes to do anything, everything, in hopes to "persuade" us to spend money.

sig

http://img825.imageshack.us/img825/5451/om71.jpg

It is a peculiar phenomenon that we can imagine events that defy the laws of the universe.
  • Options
    serevnserevn Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    rock3tman wrote: »
    Somebody get this woman a shotgun! (And some Cheetos)

On a more serious note, I don't spend money on this game on a regular basis, only if it is to give me a boost in something I'm aiming towards.

My very first purchase was the Vesta 3-pack (My Darling, My Beautiful), It took me three months of grinding almost every day to get the amount of dilithium required for the conversion to zen.

It then took me another two months to save for the Odyssey 3-pack but I purchased the last 1000 zen cause i couldn't grind anymore (was going to commit suicide).

So it is possible, it just requires patience and time which not all people have unfortunately :(

You have a strong will, I can't grind past a couple hours at a time, even that is pushing it. I'm usually driven to Ker'rat or a completely different game. I mean, if an entertainment activity stops being fun... I'm going to stop doing it and do something entertaining. I already grind in real life for money... like hell I'm doing the same in a game.
  • Options
    bonghitz4jesusbonghitz4jesus Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    guilli88 wrote: »
    I think a lot of people have issues with the time part. The devs are slowly increasing the time it takes to do anything, everything, in hopes to "persuade" us to spend money.
    Yes, that's the heart of it. It has always been a choice between time or money but with DR the required amount of either has increased to the point where the game is no longer worth playing to some people.
  • Options
    feiqafeiqa Member Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    gerudon wrote: »

:confused: The mining mission for one character is only a few minutes. It is a timed mini-game and then you have a 20hr cooldown. The tholian boxes seemed to drop quite a few of them so resources wise not that far out there. You can get a drop of 5 mining claims which at my worst would be 20k dil over five days in one box. Which is just slightly higher than if you spent the full price on the key getting dil from the market. If you do well it pays for the key with change.

Originally Posted by pwlaughingtrendy
    Network engineers are not ship designers.
    Nor should they be. Their ships would look weird.
  • Options
    strykewolf67strykewolf67 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    guilli88 wrote: »

Time vs reward doesn't compute with several areas of the game.
    [SIGPIC]http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=91438543000&dateline=1409236387[/SIGPIC]

Sarah Knightly - Co-leader; Frontier Explorers - U.S.S. Witchblade
    Rias Gremory - Leader; Frontier Marauders - I.K.S. B'ullwinkle
  • Options
    pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    czertik123 wrote: »
    but only because others spend hunder of dolars per month. If no one spend money, game will be payed or closed.

Exactly. Anyone who gets it all for free does it because the dilithium to zen ratio is created and bolstered by people who buy zen to dilithium. All of us used to get what we wanted, how we wanted to get it, but this new system is creating a scenario where only the people who want to pay absolutely nothing are getting what they want. Doesent that seem strange?

Also, to the people who claim to get it all paying nothing: You are paying time. The resources that you Have to spend to aquire them dont just fall out of the sky. My personal philosophy on this is that I can play for X amount of time and generate 8000 dilithium, or I can just buy 8000 dilithium with zen. Currently 1 Zen gets you 156 dilithium, so 8000 zen is worth 51 zen. $10 gets me 1000 zen, so 8000 dilithium costs me $0.51. I dont have to spell the equations out any further then that to realize that it is much more worth my Time to spend the money on the dilithium, since in the time it takes me to generate 8000 dilithium I could have made a hell of a lot more then fifty one cents: I could make enough money to zen to buy 704,000 dilithium.

I dont grind dilithium, I dont exploit the dilithium exchange to farm 8000 dilithium a day on an army of alts, I generate Zen. The Zen you as a f2p player buy with dilithium you grind for hours and hours repeating ISE, or whatever you do.

And now I am forced to play only a single character with a single set of gear unless I want to invest Thousands of dollars. NO more Recluse with Tetryon, Vesta Phasers, Temporal Ships with Antiprotons et cetera.... I have to choose a single one, and min max my build to be the most efficient at the cost of what I find fun
  • Options
    mewmaster101mewmaster101 Member Posts: 1,239 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    pulserazor wrote: »
    But... fun to me is having the ability to switch to a different ship or a different character and play a totally different way. If I swap out of my Vesta into a Jem Hadar Attack Ship, I dont want to use the same gear. I could do that gbefore, now I will never ever be able to.

I think your operational definition of good and my own are a bit different.

Well, that is part of your problem, this is an MMO, you cannot expect to be able to have several full sets of gear like that right away with all the best stuff less than a month after the update came out.

Money is seriously not needed with this game, i have done fine with literally the mission reward items and some gear i picked up at random for the most part.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,950 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Yes, that's the heart of it. It has always been a choice between time or money but with DR the required amount of either has increased to the point where the game is no longer worth playing to some people.

Actually I've found that the game (to play it economically) is wanting me to play it less. I don't need to go on any explicit grinds for EC (crafting blue upgrades is more than adequate for all my needs.) I don't need to grind that hard for dilithium (now we're at the point of 6 rep systems the total amount of dil you can earn for very light to moderate play (so long as its diversified) is huge). I don't need to even grind for XP (a borg disconnected run plus careful doffing is again sufficient) and between the abundance of the first two resources upgrading my weapons for DR has been generally a lot easier than when an "upgrade's" cost also included fleet credits.

Where I think the frustration comes in is that going on a single-minded STF or patrol mission grind requires more time now to appropriately level/earn than it did before. That can push the time/value ratio past the point of desirability but the mistake there is simply extending bad habits.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I have one thing to say about this threads...

rich people problems...

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    nightken wrote: »
    I have one thing to say about this threads...

rich people problems...

Agreed. OP spends 200 dollars a month and is struggling? Get real. I spend 30 bucks once and a great while and I have all the gear I want. 200k Dilithium refined/ore and more then enough EC to get me through Reps/Upgrades when the time comes.

Stop being lazy OP and stop spending your Dilithium on trying to have absolutely everything in the game.

I currently have the Borg, Adapted MACO, Undine Sets on different ships. Ive also got the Jem'Hadar set. You know how I got them? It wasnt by throwing money at the screen. It was by actually playing the game and earning my way to what I have.

Fast money will always be spent fast. But atleast now I know why youve ran from thread to thread in these forums playing Cryptic Apologist.
  • Options
    warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Honestly, I'm very surprised with the responses here by longtime players that are shocked with the rising cost of STO. I'm very surprised, that after all these years, you just now realize the costs of STO and how the game is slanted to push you to buy zen and do various things with it? Most esp so if you want to do it "NOW."

You can freely acquire the zen to purchase those T6 ships, buy those keys, buy those R&D Boxes, buy whatever it is you need to do. The dilemma is this:

A. Spend real money to get what you want NOW

B. Go on the cheap, be disciplined with your resource gathering and saving ingame to attain your buying goals, but it will take longer.

Sounds to me people want "A" but not spend the money to do it "NOW."

In other words, this always has been how STO worked since the move to F2P. A bunch of you guys out there wanted this move to F2P, don't backtrack and try to B.S. now. That is what you wanted, that is what STO became, that is what you get.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You all speak of single characters and ships that you have outfitted, and none of you will provide a gateway link to prove your sucess. I appreciate your encourageing words, but I can not believe they are genuine.

they dont "have" to prove anything to you and your under no obligation to demand either and anything further is a presumption to know. if you cant take something on good faith, thats your problem. but ive stated my bit.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    giotarizgiotariz Member Posts: 652 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I've got a MK XIV ship, Phantom T6, without spending a dime.
    I don't have link (gateway closed, i don't want people spying on my has pvp build, haha) but i have a few pics of as soon as i got the ship, mk xii/xiii/xiv gear.
    You don't need money to play. If you think you do, then you don't understand the meaning of "free to play".
    Sad Pandas PvP - Starfleet Dental Member - Lag Industries Leader
    --

"What a time it was, with all the world against us, what a time it was... When all we did seemed wrong,
    we've broken all our bonds, but life kept going on, what a time, what a time it was..." - Clem Tholet
    --
    Operation Dingo 1977

• Options
    lystentlystent Member Posts: 1,019
    edited October 2014
    caylenr wrote: »
    Unnecessary. It's totally possible to grind dilithium on multiple characters, convert that dili into Zen, buy T5 ships and then buy T5-U upgrades for those ships.
    |
    \/
    rock3tman wrote: »
    i couldn't grind anymore (was going to commit suicide).

Yeah, I'm as bad as a lawyer.
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    i paid money for liftime sub that is the only cash i have spent in the game.
    all other in game purchases i have made with earned dilithium and stipent.

i have got lots of smaller items from the c-store like bank slots, inventory slots, ship slots and the odd frivolity like 10 pack lock box keys.
    i also have the dyson mega pack and the DR T6 ship pack.

i have also donated a major amount of dilithium and other stuff to my fleet and upgraded a fair bit of ship weapons & consoles to MK14 on my 3 characters.

im a little confused by this gateway link, would that not require my account password?
    i dont know of any other way to view my gateway stats and im definately not giving you that, even if you could access my stats it would only show i have the above not how i got there so i could still have spent a heap of cash you will just have to take my word for it that i did not.

if you dont belive what i have said here thats your problem.
    how convenient that you have decided to join the discussion claiming things that you can not prove.

I am not concerned with your mk 13 gear, thats ez. I want to see your mk 14 epics, or even your mk 14 ultra's and hear you say that they were free.

Ans I want to see more then one character outfitted this way, I want to see more then one ship per character fully capeable of handling all STO content.

why should you need epics or ultra's, if you choose to chase them that is your affair, i am happy with MK14.

as i suspected with this users gateway link above it cannot be accessed without the users password so its pointless.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    giotarizgiotariz Member Posts: 652 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    lol.
    People feel the need for "MK XIVIXVIIXXIV ULTRA EPICS!" And then use them for PvE which can be completed with mk xii purples.

lol
    PvP is the only thing that needs real end game gear atm.
    leave. I couldn't care less, really.
    "I quit threads" are usually stupid because they're made by people no one cares about.
    Sad Pandas PvP - Starfleet Dental Member - Lag Industries Leader
    --

"What a time it was, with all the world against us, what a time it was... When all we did seemed wrong,
    we've broken all our bonds, but life kept going on, what a time, what a time it was..." - Clem Tholet
    --
    Operation Dingo 1977

• Options
    forcemajeureforcemajeure Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Pretty sure you mean "I can no longer afford to have every possible shiny special item on a wide variety of captains".

It's a real shame that you 'cannot play' if you don't have that.

Strangely, I play just fine, do well in ESTFs (Old E's), rank in CCE, am lvl 54 in DR content, all without owning a single fleet item or fleet ship, no special consoles but the ones that come with Rep or event ships - hell I haven't even bought Omega/rep ground gear yet because even (old) elite-level content is not that hard with just purples from exchange... or even blues.

New advanced/elite content will definitely require me to get some new stuff, but it isn't anything like 'unplayable' without it.

At any rate, have fun finding another game that gives you everything you could want on all your characters for your monthly budget, let us know how the search goes.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    If nothing else, they are most certainly made by people who genuinely seem to think that their depature will have a huge impact on the game.

That's both the funniest and saddest part of it all.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    dukeramulotsdukeramulots Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Here I am derping it up in pretty crappy gear having a blast. I wish I had $100-200/month to spend on something other than my kids :P
  • Options
    rswfiredotcomrswfiredotcom Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    OK buddy......I have good gear and a good ship and ive spent..........0 dollars .

You've spent zero dollars, but how much did you spend in time? They are both valuable commodities.
  • Options
    ussinterceptussintercept Member Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    reyan01 wrote: »
    If nothing else, they are most certainly made by people who genuinely seem to think that their depature will have a huge impact on the game.

Narcissists and Ego-maniacs. The internet is their playground.
  • Options
    rswfiredotcomrswfiredotcom Member Posts: 262 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Narcissists and Ego-maniacs. The internet is their playground.

For every person willing to post their opinion/experience, there are a hundred more that don't and just silently slip away.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    For every person willing to post their opinion/experience, there are a hundred more that don't and just silently slip away.

And?

/10 characters
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
This discussion has been closed.