test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

I can no longer afford to play

pulserazorpulserazor Member Posts: 590 Arc User
STO has become far too much money to play the way I want to play on my meager budget of $100-$200 per month.

The crafting system is a barrier that I just cannot overcome. The resources that will be required of me are so great that achieving the quality of gear that will be required to participate in endgame content are too great for me to get a single ship to that level, on a single character, to say nothing about alternate ships and characters, and weapon loadouts.

The materials required to craft the items I will need are only available in the content I am aiming toward, even if I were to increase my budget to $300 a month, it would not be enough.

Before DR, I was satisfied playing 5 characters and gearing them with a variety of ships and weapons, I was content to share the knowledge I had of the game from my investment in it with social fleets, and participate in social activities in sto.

It seems now that I simply can not afford these luxuries.

It was fun while it lasted.
Post edited by pulserazor on

Comments

• Options
    christianmacchristianmac Member Posts: 359 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    OK buddy......I have good gear and a good ship and ive spent..........0 dollars .
    77TH FIGHTER SQUADRON
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    pulserazor wrote: »
    STO has become far too much money to play the way I want to play on my meager budget of $100-$200 per month.

The crafting system is a barrier that I just cannot overcome. The resources that will be required of me are so great that achieving the quality of gear that will be required to participate in endgame content are too great for me to get a single ship to that level, on a single character, to say nothing about alternate ships and characters, and weapon loadouts.

The materials required to craft the items I will need are only available in the content I am aiming toward, even if I were to increase my budget to $300 a month, it would not be enough.

Before DR, I was satisfied playing 5 characters and gearing them with a variety of ships and weapons, I was content to share the knowledge I had of the game from my investment in it with social fleets, and participate in social activities in sto.

It seems now that I simply can not afford these luxuries.

It was fun while it lasted.

you have a budget of $100 to $200 a month? was that all for STO? You can play without spending any money... just follow the time gates and dont spend any more cash... don't focus on end game... this game is pure money sink and pay to win. just log on for fun, if it's still fun... otherwise yeah find something else to play. dont grind dil or anything, play the missions once and log in for the free stuff or do the event grinds on a toon.

but yeah I wouldnt reward this company due to the bs policies they have... looking forward to another company picking up a license for an online st game. this isnt a very st game anyway, more space combat game skinned with a st motif.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    OK buddy......I have good gear and a good ship and ive spent..........0 dollars .

gateway link please
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    tigeraries wrote: »
    you have a budget of $100 to $200 a month? was that all for STO? You can play without spending any money... just follow the time gates and dont spend any more cash... don't focus on end game... this game is pure money sink and pay to win. just log on for fun, if it's still fun... otherwise yeah find something else to play. dont grind dil or anything, play the missions once and log in for the free stuff or do the event grinds on a toon.

but yeah I wouldnt reward this company due to the bs policies they have... looking forward to another company picking up a license for an online st game. this isnt a very st game anyway, more space combat game skinned with a st motif.

yes, that is all I can afford to spend on Star Trek online to assist my fleet's dilithium requirements, to purchase different ships, and different energy weapon types for single characters, and to expand into alternate characters so they can have a few ships and weapon types.

I am on my way with only a single character who has reasonable gear and can easily complete advanced ques with firiends, but it came at a considerable investment, and I can not make that same investment for another ship set and other characters.
  • Options
    caylenrcaylenr Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    gateway link please

Unnecessary. It's totally possible to grind dilithium on multiple characters, convert that dili into Zen, buy T5 ships and then buy T5-U upgrades for those ships.

You can buy all ship equipment (including Mk IVX) with dilithium, which is free. You can earn 8500 refined dili each day, a cap which you can't significantly increase by spending money.

So, while you can spend money to speed up your access to new ships, it's all totally achievable for free.
  • Options
    mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ive spent a few pounds on z and cp before that, nothing past 40 pounds at most, i have spent a few months on sub pre f2p (simpler easier times, oh the nostalgia!) and then the lts last year.

but when it came to getting what i needed by other means in game, i bit my lip and grinded a little for it. you dont need to spend anything on getting dil, refine it, convert it and spend it. you dont have to pay for anything and i cant see the reason for your entitlement claim.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • Options
    rock3tmanrock3tman Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Somebody get this woman a shotgun! (And some Cheetos)

On a more serious note, I don't spend money on this game on a regular basis, only if it is to give me a boost in something I'm aiming towards.

My very first purchase was the Vesta 3-pack (My Darling, My Beautiful), It took me three months of grinding almost every day to get the amount of dilithium required for the conversion to zen.

It then took me another two months to save for the Odyssey 3-pack but I purchased the last 1000 zen cause i couldn't grind anymore (was going to commit suicide).

So it is possible, it just requires patience and time which not all people have unfortunately :(
    1FHdQdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    You all speak of single characters and ships that you have outfitted, and none of you will provide a gateway link to prove your sucess. I appreciate your encourageing words, but I can not believe they are genuine.

As I said, I have one character well on the way to the Mk 14 epic I will need to compete and guide friends and fleetmates through content, but a single ship gets boring after a while. I cant play the way I used to play on such a modest budget, and the time gate to do it in is a bit too long, when it will take considerable energy credits and 8000 dilithium per day to merely attempt to get a single piece of gear updated on my way to endgame.
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    You don't have to have everything now. With patience you can get all that top level stuff without spending a dime.
    Doing Foundry missions gives 2,000 dil each and every time and there is no cool down.
    There is a bonus dil event this weekend...so take advantage of that.
    There's a winter event coming and these usually give a free ship
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    $100-$200 a month is a meager budget? What are you spending it on? That is about how much I have spent of this game since I started playing.

I haven't bought any zen in months and I've had no problem.
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    qjuniorqjunior Member Posts: 2,023 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    How is 100-200 $ per month a modest budget ? That's insane actually. Maybe this is some attempt at trolling or some kind of a joke ? :confused:
  • Options
    khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    The OP is not living off $100-$200 a month...that's what they set aside for the game.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • Options
    tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    dont buy anymore ships... they will go obsolete with the next level cap. if the game is still around by then. or there will be newer ships that are better...

"that is all I can afford to spend on Star Trek online to assist my fleet's dilithium requirements" stop buying zen to put on exchange... I am assuming this is what your doing. if your fleet really needs dil have fleet officers make a dill farming account for the fleet.
  • Options
    futurepastnowfuturepastnow Member Posts: 3,660 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Just playing one character now. Can't afford to upgrade gear on the others. After this weekend, maybe I'll have the dil for one more, but no more resources for the upgrade kits.

I used to use my alt toons for trying out fun ideas, like new ship/class combos and such. Which, incidentally, means I bought them stuff. Now all I can use them for is to turn in contraband and farm events like Crystalline Cataclysm when they come up.
  • Options
    peetapipmacpeetapipmac Member Posts: 2,131 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    The OP is not living off $100-$200 a month...that's what they set aside for the game.

We know.

/10 characters
    It's not my fault if you feel trolled by my Disco ball... Sorry'boutit.

R.I.P. Leonard Nimoy
  • Options
    wilbor2wilbor2 Member Posts: 1,684 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(Rogue0ne@wilbor2)/ship-equipment
    http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(RogueTal'shar@wilbor2)/ship-equipment

gateway is showing my mk xiii n xiu stuff as mk x lmao
    any way ive not put a penny in to sto since LOR and wont to a year goes by were they dont get the nerf bat out
    gs9kwcxytstg.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    khan5000 wrote: »
    You don't have to have everything now. With patience you can get all that top level stuff without spending a dime.
    Doing Foundry missions gives 2,000 dil each and every time and there is no cool down.
    There is a bonus dil event this weekend...so take advantage of that.
    There's a winter event coming and these usually give a free ship

Great, another ship thats just what I need, I will put it in the hanger with my Wells, Mobius, Recluse, 3 Vestas, Defiant, Benthan Cruiser, Jem Hadar Attack Ship, my other Mobius, Tvaro, Arkif, Mogai, D'Deridex, Dehlan, 3 Scimitars, Dainos, Kharfi, Norgh, Peg'hu, Galor, 3 Dyson Destroyers, and whatever else I own that I have forgotten about, while still having room to reclaim my low level ships I bought for the consoles should I with to revisit them.

But how will I equip it?

Ships dont concern me, its the variety of gear I want to be able to outfit on all of them that concerns me.

I am not a min maxer, if I hav a Jem Hadar ship, I want it to fire polarons. I want my federation cruisers and science ships to use phasers. I want to enjoy the rich variety of content Cryptic had provided. I cant afford that now.
  • Options
    rock3tmanrock3tman Member Posts: 143 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Great, another ship thats just what I need, I will put it in the hanger with my Wells, Mobius, Recluse, 3 Vestas, Defiant, Benthan Cruiser, Jem Hadar Attack Ship, my other Mobius, Tvaro, Arkif, Mogai, D'Deridex, Dehlan, 3 Scimitars, Dainos, Kharfi, Norgh, Peg'hu, Galor, 3 Dyson Destroyers, and whatever else I own that I have forgotten about, while still having room to reclaim my low level ships I bought for the consoles should I with to revisit them.

But how will I equip it?

Ships dont concern me, its the variety of gear I want to be able to outfit on all of them that concerns me.

I am not a min maxer, if I hav a Jem Hadar ship, I want it to fire polarons. I want my federation cruisers and science ships to use phasers. I want to enjoy the rich variety of content Cryptic had provided. I cant afford that now.

Well there's your darn problem! You are spending all your money on ships and cant afford to equip them!! Greed is a b'tch is'nt it?
    1FHdQdl.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    wilbor2 wrote: »
    http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(Rogue0ne@wilbor2)/ship-equipment
    http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(RogueTal'shar@wilbor2)/ship-equipment

gateway is showing my mk xiii n xiu stuff as mk x lmao
    any way ive not put a penny in to sto since LOR and wont to a year goes by were they dont get the nerf bat out

Obviously you havent.

And that is fine, I clearly indicated that my goals have nothing to do with the level of content I can achieve with gear like this, I am well past that level now, but only on a single ship with a single option for weapon loadouts.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    rock3tman wrote: »
    Well there's your darn problem! You are spending all your money on ships and cant afford to equip them!! Greed is a b'tch is'nt it?

The amount of money I spend on ships is a pittance compared to the amount of money I have to spend on upgrading the varieties of gear for them.

Greed implies my desire to have while others want, and at their expense. Generosity is the antithesis of greed, and I feel like I have spent rather generously, but it obviously isnt enough.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    gateway link please

I would love too but Gateway isn't representing the mk 14 gear i upgraded with my dilithium surplus. I have lobi gear i have tier 6 ships but i convert to zen a lot and ive not used my stipend since i became a lifer a year ago.
    77TH FIGHTER SQUADRON
  • Options
    imarookieimarookie Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I did spend some cash to be honest - when I started, for 3 month of "gold account" and later on for the Nebula Class - still the best looking ship imo - and then for a lock box key here and then.
    In total not more than 80$ iirc.
    Frankly, since i dont play much more than 4-5h a week these days, I hardly reach the dil cap each day. :P

I am safe to say that I have some quite good gear for my standards
    but what is that gateway you are talking about?

(here, have a link to my, slightly outdated, ship build)
    -> http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=imarookiejhec_2950
    .o0( The gods of deutsch data recovery have prevailed! The techno will continue. )
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    I would love too but Gateway isn't representing the mk 14 gear i upgraded with my dilithium surplus. I have lobi gear i have tier 6 ships but i convert to zen a lot and ive not used my stipend since i became a lifer a year ago.

how convenient that you have decided to join the discussion claiming things that you can not prove.

I am not concerned with your mk 13 gear, thats ez. I want to see your mk 14 epics, or even your mk 14 ultra's and hear you say that they were free.

Ans I want to see more then one character outfitted this way, I want to see more then one ship per character fully capeable of handling all STO content.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    imarookie wrote: »
    I did spend some cash to be honest - when I started, for 3 month of "gold account" and later on for the Nebula Class - still the best looking ship imo - and then for a lock box key here and then.
    In total not more than 80$ iirc.
    Frankly, since i dont play much more than 4-5h a week these days, I hardly reach the dil cap each day. :P

I am safe to say that I have some quite good gear for my standards
    but what is that gateway you are talking about?

(here, have a link to my, slightly outdated, ship build)
    -> http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplanner/?build=imarookiejhec_2950

Gateway is a feature of sto that will provide us with complete proof of people's austentatious claims that they have no problem attaining maximum gear. It will not prove what ends they went through to get them, as most are going to claim they earned them for free but I would be satisfied with the acual proof that they have acheived these ends.
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Gateway is a feature of sto that will provide us with complete proof of people's austentatious claims that they have no problem attaining maximum gear. It will not prove what ends they went through to get them, as most are going to claim they earned them for free but I would be satisfied with the acual proof that they have acheived these ends.

Gateway shows Mk XIII/XIV as Mk X/XI/XII items.

EDIT: http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(Gruber@tunebreaker)/ship-equipment
    http://www.upload.ee/image/4320853/gearproof.jpg
    links to prove it
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    how convenient that you have decided to join the discussion claiming things that you can not prove.

I am not concerned with your mk 13 gear, thats ez. I want to see your mk 14 epics, or even your mk 14 ultra's and hear you say that they were free.

Considering i said i had GOOD equiptment and never mentioned epic. My phantom is good with the gear ive upgraded to date. Ill continue to upgrade when i have the resources. I haven't used my RL money on this game in a year....and no im not going to show you my bank records.

It was a nice attempt at trolling but im really not interested.

http://gateway.startrekonline.com/#char(Christian@christianmac)/ship-equipment have fun.
    77TH FIGHTER SQUADRON
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Gateway shows Mk XIII/XIV as Mk X/XI/XII items.

how convenient.
  • Options
    edwardianededwardianed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    how convenient.

Actually, given the situation, it's decidedly inconvenient.

I paid for a lifetime subscription back in the day, I haven't paid another penny since. I do just fine, my ship is well equipped, my characters are well equipped, I'm playing just fine. I don't have to prove any of that to you, what do I care if you don't believe me? It doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game.

If you want to ignore everyone else who's in on this "affordability conspiracy", go ahead. If you can't afford to play, stop playing. Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
This discussion has been closed.