What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Delta Rising or how to frustrate players and make them go away

Comments

• Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Being an MMo they can fix it but i point to Tiberium Twilight. That killed the C&C franchise because EA listened to the wrong people. Heck even their attempt to make C&C Online tanked at alpha stage. DR is an epic blow to STO more than anything in the past and many warned Cryptic of these issues and were ignored. Stop being a blind fanboy and look at what they are doing. I have it on good authority that Al Reveria hates a certain trek mod because it's getting better praise then STo and even STo's devs seem to like it. What we are seeing here is another sign that the game companies have no clue what the players want. name the last Star Trek game that was considered good before mods?
    Well, I've been here since Open Beta, and I still have a Kar'Fi that I bought with Emblems - in other words, I've seen everything Cryptic has done

But the fact remains, I do not see what they are doing as bad, or the downfall of STO. That is my opinion, and it hasn't changed a bit since then. You think it's the exact opposite, but that does not make it a fact, just your own opinion. And besides, calling me a fanboy simply isn't correct; because while I defend a good deal of stuff, you'll find the amount of praise I give out as rare... very rare, in fact, and I'm not obsessed with STO either, so that application is incorrect. As is blind

And anyway, as long as the game has numbers, STO will endure. No season or expansion has changed that fact (except for the better, as I've seen via playing everyday, even if just for Doff missions), and DR is no exception thus far.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    redz4twredz4tw Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2014
    ednarules wrote: »
    This is the worst update cryptic has done yet though, so the rage is understandable.
    Oh god i've heard that every single freaking season. By the forum predictions STO shouldn't have made it past LoR. Ever since I joined (LoR) it's been nothing but whine whine whine whine.
  • Options
    drasymdrasym Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    spookraven wrote: »
    interesting, I hit 50 before I was even half way done the story quests and didn't queue for pve till I hit 50..

Ya, me too. And if I REALLY wanted to level fast to 60, i could go back and do the quests i skipped long ago.. Probably enough old quests to level to 60 without touching the 'new' content.

Crazy thought, I know.
  • Options
    stomperx99stomperx99 Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Legacy of Romulus Worst update EEEEEEVVVVVVVEEEEERRRRR!!!!

Season 8 Worst update EEEEEEVVVVVVVEEEEERRRRR!!!!

Season 8.5 Worst update EEEEEEVVVVVVVEEEEERRRRR!!!!

Season 9 Worst update EEEEEEVVVVVVVEEEEERRRRR!!!!

Season 9.5 Worst update EEEEEEVVVVVVVEEEEERRRRR!!!!

Delta Rising Worst update EEEEEEVVVVVVVEEEEERRRRR!!!!
    ZomboDroid10122015042230.jpg

I'm sorry to people who I, in the past, insulted, annoyed, etc.
  • Options
    phoeniciusphoenicius Member Posts: 762 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    stomperx99 wrote: »
    Legacy of Romulus Worst update EEEEEEVVVVVVVEEEEERRRRR!!!!

Season 8 Worst update EEEEEEVVVVVVVEEEEERRRRR!!!!

Season 8.5 Worst update EEEEEEVVVVVVVEEEEERRRRR!!!!

Season 9 Worst update EEEEEEVVVVVVVEEEEERRRRR!!!!

Season 9.5 Worst update EEEEEEVVVVVVVEEEEERRRRR!!!!

Delta Rising Worst update EEEEEEVVVVVVVEEEEERRRRR!!!!

this is a joke? no one said legacy of romulus was the worst update ever, quite the contrary, a few whined about a few silly things like how the romulan republic were bajorans in space and how they weren't a full faction, but they certainly weren't the majority, most people consider it to be best update in STO.

most people also REALLY liked the voth battlezone addition, only after "season 9" people really started to whine

undine battlezone - invisible weapons, EXTREMELY laggy, making it hard to play, also rather low rewards for time invested.

season 9.5 - cash grab season, most people disliked.

DR - continuation of cash grab season x 10 , unsurprisingly, most disliked, and it seems to be shaping up to be STO's NGE.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    redz4tw wrote: »
    Oh god i've heard that every single freaking season. By the forum predictions STO shouldn't have made it past LoR. Ever since I joined (LoR) it's been nothing but whine whine whine whine.
    Pretty much... everything that Cryptic adds to the game people whine about... even when Cryptic gives people stuff for free.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    phoenicius wrote: »
    this is a joke? no one said legacy of romulus was the worst update ever, quite the contrary, a few whined about a few silly things like how the romulan republic were bajorans in space and how they weren't a full faction, but they certainly weren't the majority, most people consider it to be best update in STO.

most people also REALLY liked the voth battlezone addition, only after "season 9" people really started to whine

undine battlezone - invisible weapons, EXTREMELY laggy, making it hard to play, also rather low rewards for time invested.

season 9.5 - cash grab season, most people disliked.

DR - continuation of cash grab season x 10 , unsurprisingly, most disliked, and it seems to be shaping up to be STO's NGE.
    Low rewards? Maybe for point-for-point, but helping with the Planet Killers gives a lot of marks and Dil by comparison

Plus some people don't mind the so-called 'cash grab', so long as it's not forcing them to pay. And by all accounts, people are entirely free to go about their business without using the system if they don't want to, and without paying at all if they choose not to as well. DR's additions are exactly the same as I've described, because the story content (for the most part) simply doesn't require the upgrade system. So disliked isn't exactly a fact imo

And besides, he still has a point, because people have whined about being given free stuff on these forums... which is pretty silly.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Pretty much... everything that Cryptic adds to the game people whine about... even when Cryptic gives people stuff for free.

the only whining about free things i saw, were about the breen/risian ships being something you needed to grind on every character, so people with lots of alts complained... and then cryptic fixed through the new discount, and people stopped complaining.
    trek21 wrote: »
    Low rewards? Maybe for point-for-point, but helping with the Planet Killers gives a lot of marks and Dil by comparison

Plus some people don't mind the so-called 'cash grab', so long as it's not forcing them to pay. And by all accounts, people are entirely free to go about their business without using the system if they don't want to, and without paying at all if they choose not to as well. DR's additions are exactly the same as I've described, because the story content (for the most part) simply doesn't require the upgrade system. So disliked isn't exactly a fact imo

And besides, he still has a point, because people have whined about being given free stuff on these forums... which is pretty silly.

a cash grab, isn't a cash grab if isn't forcing you to pay, also i get that some folks on the forums like to defend cryptic to the death..., but this i don't think this is even cryptic's fault IMO, it seems to have come from PWE, since it fits their average MO when it comes to f2p games.

and the only "f2p" MMO people play for the story content only, is SWTOR, in STO they want the queues as well.
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    the only whining about free things i saw, were about the breen/risian ships being something you needed to grind on every character, so people with lots of alts complained... and then cryptic fixed through the new discount, and people stopped complaining.
    Well, then you missed the 'free stuff' weekends that Cryptic has done twice, freely giving away progressively more expensive stuff in the C-Store as the days in the weekend went by (account-wide unlocks too, even if the item is not normally)

People still complained at those
    Was named Trek17.

• Options
    cidjackcidjack Member Posts: 2,017 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Do not forget to mention the complaints of the dilithium claims being bound to character, and they changed that.

Do not forget to mention the complaints about LOBI being bound to character, and they changed that.

Do not forget to mention the complaints about the Breen ships coming with default FED and KINK bridges, and then they got a Breen bridge.
    Armada: Multiplying fleet projects in need of dilithium by 13."
    95bced8038c91ec6f880d510e6fd302f366a776c4c5761e5f7931d491667a45e.jpgvia Imgflip Meme Generator
  • Options
    xenificationxenification Member Posts: 615 Arc User
    edited October 2014

Yep LoR was definitely the best update we've ever had I enjoyed it all actually with the exception of tovan whining all the time but other than that it was brilliant I will say delta is probably the worst update we've had.

with 8.5 coming in second because honestly those undine Q's are essentially eng heavy well one of the space ones is anyway D:
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Remember the last round of ship giveaways? People whined that they were getting free stuff!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2014
    Remember the last round of ship giveaways? People whined that they were getting free stuff!

which last round are you talking about?
  • Options
    sonnikkusonnikku Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Let me pay for my expansion so I can have "fun" with it. Leave the head banging grind for those cheapskates playing the "free" one. Just give me the option.
  • Options
    stonewbiestonewbie Member Posts: 1,454 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Solution: Go to Tau Dewa system. Set your difficulty to Elite. Power grind.

There are plenty of solutions to get around the breaks in storyline due to not having enough XP. But that isnt the point...

It's like watching your favorite movie or tv show or reading your favorite book and then stopping cause you have to go watch paint dry for about an hour and then going back to your book/show/movie. Its an interruption to the storyline, and an unwanted one. Ever since i heard about DR a few weeks/months ago i wasnt excited at all. But once i zoned into the delta quadrant that changed. I was excited to be listening to the old cast, working with Neelix again. But then BAM finished that mission but i was 2 bars short of level 51. No i gotta do something else and my interest in the story starts to die down again. The worst one yet is at level you finish a storyline at 54 but you need to grind it out to 55. But once you hit 55 the next mission you get is a patrol mission!!! thats a two-fer right there. Interruption to the storyline and a patrol mission.

And then when i DONT want storyline they stick it right in my face in the middle of an instance with these new cutscenes.
  • Options
    shurkhemolightshurkhemolight Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    azniadeet wrote: »
    I really think Cryptic is doing this in order to see how far they can push us, before they start to lose business.

They knew these advanced queues were outrageous when they initially got tested on Tribble. They went through with it anyways. Eventually they'll reel back the difficulty a bit, but still leave us high and dry on the dil rewards; and everyone will be "happy" to see the middle ground.

Cryptic is just like the Hazari... "If you don't ask for everything, you don't get anything."

They'll push us two steps back, and allow us to come one step back forward... and we'll feel like the winners when we do.

And what's sad is I think it will work.

Lol see this guys been around long enough, i have too i am just normally a lurker, old handle was @horseshoer(LTS).
    And they have done this before, and it worked, and it will again.

Oh the irony.
  • Options
    shadowwraith77shadowwraith77 Member Posts: 6,395 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opGVNLImgw4

Cryptic staff leisurely enjoying themselves, when suddenly "What do you mean our player's are complaining, complaining about what?"
    tumblr_nq9ec3BSAy1qj6sk2o2_500_zpspkqw0mmk.gif

Praetor of the -RTS- Romulan Tal Shiar fleet!

• Options
    casbynesscasbyness Member Posts: 171 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Lol see this guys been around long enough, i have too i am just normally a lurker, old handle was @horseshoer(LTS).
    And they have done this before, and it worked, and it will again.

Oh the irony.

"What? What was that? Ohh! You don't like me punching you in the face constantly? You liked it better when I wasn't punching you in the face?

Well you know, I can't very well just stop punching. No no no, that ship has sailed my friend. Hmm, but I could change my punches to slaps! Would that feel better? I'll slap you in the face, over and over...that's so much better than punching! You feel so happy now, don't you? Yes! See, all better now..."

Slap

Slap

Slap...
  • Options
    masternecromanmasternecroman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I agree, you shouldn't have to do PVE or PVP to get through the story, we never had to do this. Although if you start a new character he will be lvl 55 minimum when he gets to DR episodes so than you will go through the stories smoothly, but Cryptic is a **** to the Veterans. :P

And one patrol mission with various enemies would be completely fine in the story, but 3, who want's to play "kill 5 waves of enemies" 15 times in one day! It's pure Grind and it is toxic to the game.
  • Options
    zztopperszztoppers Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    PW and Cryptic used to pride itself on being a game that listened to is gamers. I hope that is still the case. That beginning said I do love the new content idea. For me its just an idea that did not happen in this upgrade. The new content is there. But you ruined the rest of what I love about STO to do it! Making older missions like infected 5 times harder. The elite levels are gone replaced by enemies that are impossible to kill. I would have expected it to be harder. But this is about 3 and 1/2 times as much as anyone would have expected. It simply eliminates the fun in the game for me. I am messing around with other things in game. But I just simply don't see how all the new powers and expectations are going to help me deal with advanced enemies that are impossible to kill.

I expect two things PW and Cryptic fix this train wreck or my $$$$$$ are simply gone until you do. And if you don't listen or don't make these changes fast enough. I may not come back at all. Theres that little thing we call choice and free will.

Makes us run from things that keep on breaking badly!
  • Options
    bobbydazlersbobbydazlers Member Posts: 4,534 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    panamp wrote: »
    1. I can not level up to 60, just by following the storyline, i need to do pve queues to continue with the storyline.

sorry but this is rubbish, you can do any number of things to level up, even just doing doff missions will help but other things like aiding the deferi and the big dig and stuff like that will add marks.
    I haven't even done any of the new stuff yet and I have been levelling up no problem.

as for the rest of your post I cant say too much because I haven't experienced these things yet, only thing I will say is they will fix bugs and make adjustment's over time I am sure.

players that are moaning about the new DR content and pve queues seem to forget that if they took all that stuff out of the game tomorrow there is still a whole load of stuff you can still do most of it I bet you hardly ever do or have never even done before.

don't be a quitter, keep on trekking.

When I think about everything we've been through together,

maybe it's not the destination that matters, maybe it's the journey,

and if that journey takes a little longer,

so we can do something we all believe in,

I can't think of any place I'd rather be or any people I'd rather be with.

• Options
    fraghul2000fraghul2000 Member Posts: 1,590 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    sorry but this is rubbish, you can do any number of things to level up, even just doing doff missions will help but other things like aiding the deferi and the big dig and stuff like that will add marks.
    I haven't even done any of the new stuff yet and I have been levelling up no problem.

It isn't rubbish it's true. He says he can't level just by following the storyline, and that's exactly how it currently is.

Who gives a **** if it's queue events, grinding elites or doffing? He still has to find old filler content to level properly and not just the last few exp, but 80% of a level.

That's one of the things they did right with LoR. Romulans and low Level KDF were able to level, just by running the storyline.
  • Options
    daan2006daan2006 Member Posts: 5,346 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    That's one of the things they did right with LoR. Romulans and low Level KDF were able to level, just by running the storyline.

romulans got 30 mission that took them to level 30 rest of it was stuff that had been out for years from fed story mission to FE cant say for KDF as ive never played kdf that much
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    swimwear off risa not fixed
    system Lord Baal is dead
    macronius wrote: »
    This! Their ability to outdo their own failures is quite impressive. If only this power could be harnessed for good.
  • Options
    alaerickalaerick Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    morden613 wrote: »
    I would love to see..

Less grind! Don't we have enough rep systems? Plenty. So why do we need another one? Enough useless grinding, PWE has made this game a grind-fest.
    More cool factor. Interesting stories, plots, etc. Interesting new items. etc etc. Things you don't need to grind to get. Or things you wouldn't mind grinding to get.

Hey PWE, how about when you release a new expansion, you don't include a whole new rep system with it. Just once? Thanks.
    And if y'all could fix the sh$%^ you've broken, that'd be great.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    Yeppers
    varthelm wrote: »
    My frustration stems purely from alt killing upgrade, crafting, specialization grind....the unnecessary level cap increase, the unnecessary timegates artificially placed to frustrate you into spending dil/$$$, and the announcement of fleet T6.

The content itself, the new intel officers and variety of abilities for both me and my ships have been great and I wish they had just stopped there. I'd be spending all sorts of money getting my 8 toons all geared up and happy.

As it is...Im barely chugging with one toon and the wallet of this whale is closed to a trickle.

QFT! /5char
    A beautiful death awaits you...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    -Foundry-
    Campaign: The Battle of Neverwinter - NWS-DOQXFA4ZD
    Prologue: A not so simple plan - NW-DCJG75B9D
  • Options
    catjarrettcatjarrett Member Posts: 285 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    My prediction? If the truly nonexistent customer service of this game hasn't driven away players, then this update won't. :)

My only complaints are:

- Broken Kobali Prime (which they are aware of and are working on, I haven't logged in since the patch yesterday so it could very well be fixed at the time of this post.)

- So many patrol mission episodes. Not patrol missions, the episodes that are nothing but the patrol missions that I would have discovered on my own eventually anyway. They have so much of Voyager to pull from and they got lazy.

And that's pretty much it. I'm enjoying my T5U (that I didn't pay any real money for the upgrade), the Delta Quadrant, and the nostalgia of seeing Voyager characters. I'm hoping that later episodes will get us more characters from the series. I'm also enjoying the exploiting of potential for races and storylines from the series.

I'm also looking forward to the release of the Voyager interior and so forth. My Intrepid is ready and waiting!

Things are broken? Things have to be bought with real money? What game have you been playing? STO has so much broken, and there will always be people complaining about having to spend money. What made you think it was going to magically change after an expansion?

Oh, one more complaint. Not enough Doctor. You can never have enough Joe.
  • Options
    mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    2 space STF, 1 ground STF, 17 missions, 2 quadrants. 4 VO actors, 2 brand new systems, a new rep , a new adventure zone, level cap raise, intel ships. And also remember the delta missions are a staged release, they said up front they werent going to release them all with delta release, and release them afterwards a few at a time

Almost feels like a variation of this:
    1 - Swiss cheese has holes.
    2 - More Swiss cheese, more holes.
    3 - The more holes there are, less cheese.
    4 - Therefore, more cheese is less cheese.

Startrek Online's worst problem seems to be that you need to play it to get whatever you want. Levels, gear, dilithium, specialization, doesn't matter. No one wants that. We all just want to be out-levelled characters with Epic Mark XIV gear.

I get it. Sometimes, I used to take out my Defiant for a spin around Earth Space Dock and then logged off again.

Mustrm "Of course it's not all great. Tier 5 Upgrades not being fully equivalent to Tier 6 sucks and was a bad choice. PvP remains underdeveloped and limited to the newest power creep uber ship Cryptic has put out." Ridcully
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • Options
    stelakkhstelakkh Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    panamp wrote: »
    4. Did they run out of time to create proper content or why do we have to do so many patrol missions?

I'm going to guess from this question that you haven't been around since Beta (I could be wrong on that, but not based on the question).

This game has always suffered from a dearth of content. In the beginning it relied on two things: The "Star Trek" name to keep fans in the game because we had no other MMO option for our beloved franchise, and patrol/cluster time-wasters.

So I'd say it's not so much a question of whether or not they had the time to create proper content. I'd say they've never cared enough to create proper content in the first place.
    Actual Join Date: August, 2008
  • Options
    tmassxtmassx Member Posts: 827 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Everyone just stop complaing!

People asked for harder **** and they got it :):D

Yay, harder is not a multiple hp of npcs and lower rewards. Harder and challenging for me could be create npcs smarter f.e. Look how can be high dpsers defeated in pvp by team of scis. And in pve is that same sci unusable thx his low dps (often about 5k)
  • Options
    lowy1lowy1 Member Posts: 964 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    If the rumors are true that when you hit lvl 60 you get Dil from everything you do, the reduction from STFs MAYBE ok. The problem is if it is some absurd number like 1 dil per mission complete. To those that think it is such a GRIIIIIIIND, it isn't really. I think I've played maybe 5 hours since DR went live nad I laready have a lvl 55 with a SM4 Avenger and have been running 5 other alts through DoFFs and SFA daily. 2 of them are almost 51 and the others are between 12-20. I've ran Tau Dewa twice, Deferi Dailies once, 2 patrols and 3 new story line missions. Mind you that's on elite setting.

I am now going to work a couple T6 ships for the trait. I should have 60 by the time I unlock a ship trait.
    HzLLhLB.gif

This discussion has been closed.