test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

joystick/gamepad not working again RESOLVED

124»

Comments

• kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Still no good, the Controller options in the prefs detect the stick, but it doesn't function in game.
  • craig76craig76 Member Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    kazabok wrote: »
    Still no good, the Controller options in the prefs detect the stick, but it doesn't function in game.

You got the settings right? Not using x box controller, reset sticks to defaults in the logitech profiler or whichever one u use?
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • buayafederasibuayafederasi Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    i can confirm controller is working in tribble. it still buggy (ship doesn't bank, flat turn instead) but it works :)
    edited November 2014
    i can also confirm controller sticks are responding on tribble. YIIIIPPPPPEEEEEEE :)
    Hopefully this NEVER happens again! :)
    I believe God created the universe, because he knew we wanted to explore. So, he made us a playground...
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • chuckwolfchuckwolf Member Posts: 206 Arc User
    edited November 2014

It currently only works on tribble, it has not made it to holodeck yet. For proper use of direct input sticks you need to enable controllers, and disable x-box type. It does work even with my highly customized keybind set.
    i can confirm controller is working in tribble. it still buggy (ship doesn't bank, flat turn instead) but it works :)

Make sure you are in chase cam mode, as free cam can have that effect, as the stick simply simulates WASD movement in that mode.
    another factor is are you using the left or right stick to turn? you should be using the left for all space movement. After doing the following:

On the controllers page in the options, click X Movement, and when the popup comes up hold your right stick either to the left or right, and click OK, then do the same thing with X-camera and the left stick.
    @Powerblast in game
  • kazabokkazabok Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    craig76 wrote: »
    You got the settings right? Not using x box controller, reset sticks to defaults in the logitech profiler or whichever one u use?

Indeed, copied a fresh copy of my character over to tribble, reset to defaults on the Controller tab, buttons on the devices work, analogue sticks don't.

Using either a Logitech G13 or an Attack 3.

360 controller works, so it's just directinput devices that a failing me, not xinput.

Sticks work fine in other games, the control panel and the logitech software.

If I map the G13 stick to WASD or the like, it works, just doesn't work as a analogue stick, so doesn't solve my problems.

On the Controller Tab in Options, if I try and change the mapping, it detects correctly the device and axis I move. It just doesn't actually move/turn me in game.

Edit:
    Disabling xbox controller support and restarting the game did it.

Cheers folks.
    edited November 2014
    Edit:
    Disabling xbox controller support and restarting the game did it.

Cheers folks.

Good to hear :)
    planet-space-sun.jpg
  • buayafederasibuayafederasi Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    chuckwolf wrote: »
    It currently only works on tribble, it has not made it to holodeck yet. For proper use of direct input sticks you need to enable controllers, and disable x-box type. It does work even with my highly customized keybind set.

Make sure you are in chase cam mode, as free cam can have that effect, as the stick simply simulates WASD movement in that mode.
    another factor is are you using the left or right stick to turn? you should be using the left for all space movement. After doing the following:

On the controllers page in the options, click X Movement, and when the popup comes up hold your right stick either to the left or right, and click OK, then do the same thing with X-camera and the left stick.

confirmed it works as season 9 (pre-delta) but not pre-sesaon 9 (pre-undine). in the pre-season 9, the ship bank while turning using joystick, the workaround for season 9 makes ship turned but not banking at all. not a big issue here since turn rate still the same, only cosmetic.
  • slygenslygen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I had this problem ever since I started playing STO at F2P. Considering the likelyhood of the game breaking controller support again heres a good workaround, this will work with many games that only support an Xbox 360 controller and you won't need a program like xpadder that just turns controller functions into keyboard keys, the game WILL recognise your controller or controllers as an xbox 360 controller:

- Download and install/copy this to your Star trek online live folder: code.google.com/p/x360ce/

- Open x360ce and map your controller buttons and axis to how you want it to the picture of the Xbox controller, there are many extra options to get it set it right such as inverting, deadzones etc.

- Once thats is setup, backup the "xinput1_3.dll" and put it somewhere else on your pc outside the star trke online/Live folder.

- Open the Star trek launcher and login (after you log in the game will remove your custom controller xinput1_3.dll file) so copy over the backed up copy that you did in the previous step back into the star trek online/Live folder. Hit Engage to enter game.

- After the Cryptic Loading screen you'll hear a windows ding sound to tell you the program is working. Once in game goto options and make sure xbox 360 controller is enabled and you're done! Analogue movement and keys can be now remapped in game too.

The dragging and dropping is the only tedious part but its easy enough to do a quick batch file to click on after you login at the STO launcher each time.
  • rvt00rvt00 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    confirmed it works as season 9 (pre-delta) but not pre-sesaon 9 (pre-undine). in the pre-season 9, the ship bank while turning using joystick, the workaround for season 9 makes ship turned but not banking at all. not a big issue here since turn rate still the same, only cosmetic.
    rvt00 wrote: »
    I found a fix you guys. First you must be in space. Go to your options and then go to the "key Binds" tab (which is between the Controls tab and the HUD tab). The first four options which are "pitch up, pitch down, turn left, turn right" bind the joystick controller to the Bind #2 columns to those options. So for "pitch up" you would press up on your joystick to bind it and for "turn left" you would press left on your joystick and so on and so on. After this you should now bank again using your game controller.

This is a Quick fix
    edited November 2014
    Actually binding controller buttons/stick movements to keybinds simple replaces the control linked to that command and and with the ones ih is suggesting if you bind the left stick's up, down, left, right to pitch, and turn you get full analog control over that movement. It's part of my standard setup.

I happen to be somewhat of an expert in setting up binds for the dual action type controller, even wrote a guide for setting one up for maximum use before PWE redid the forums. It's still in the archives.
    @Powerblast in game
    edited December 2014
    slygen wrote: »
    I had this problem ever since I started playing STO at F2P. Considering the likelyhood of the game breaking controller support again heres a good workaround, this will work with many games that only support an Xbox 360 controller and you won't need a program like xpadder that just turns controller functions into keyboard keys, the game WILL recognise your controller or controllers as an xbox 360 controller:

- Download and install/copy this to your Star trek online live folder: code.google.com/p/x360ce/

- Open x360ce and map your controller buttons and axis to how you want it to the picture of the Xbox controller, there are many extra options to get it set it right such as inverting, deadzones etc.

- Once thats is setup, backup the "xinput1_3.dll" and put it somewhere else on your pc outside the star trke online/Live folder.

- Open the Star trek launcher and login (after you log in the game will remove your custom controller xinput1_3.dll file) so copy over the backed up copy that you did in the previous step back into the star trek online/Live folder. Hit Engage to enter game.

- After the Cryptic Loading screen you'll hear a windows ding sound to tell you the program is working. Once in game goto options and make sure xbox 360 controller is enabled and you're done! Analogue movement and keys can be now remapped in game too.

The dragging and dropping is the only tedious part but its easy enough to do a quick batch file to click on after you login at the STO launcher each time.

Sorry, but i like my logitech controller, cant stand x box pads. Lets just hope this never happens again, as people do report it on tribble, so should be squashed on tribble before releasing it to the masses on holodeck, otherwise it defeats the purpose of having tribble
    planet-space-sun.jpg
    edited December 2014

craig76 wrote: »
    Sorry, but i like my logitech controller, cant stand x box pads. Lets just hope this never happens again, as people do report it on tribble, so should be squashed on tribble before releasing it to the masses on holodeck, otherwise it defeats the purpose of having tribble

I'm one of those that prefers the logitech controller also, Why should I go to the expense of a $50
    controller and a $25 adapter for USB when when a $20 F-310 will do the same thing.

Also an added note. STO "normally" supports these gamepads natively, so programs such as x-padder etc. are not needed if you know how to set it up. In fact you don't even need to be running the Logitech Profiler. I don't and I use a highly custom set of binds in fact over 50 commands right from the controller at present.

Also something I noticed on tribble is actually binding a command to a controller action on the keybinds page seems to work, like holding a button or stick movement to reassign it's action, where before you needed to actually type the button name and the command that you wanted assigned. much better if you find one you want assigned on the fly. Though I haven't tried it with multi-button assignments yet. I'll have to next time I load Tribble.
    @Powerblast in game
  • slygenslygen Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I know the game is supposed to support non xbox pads, but the point of having the x360ce program is so that you DON'T have to use an Xbox Controller but instead use your own controller like a logitech device but have the game recognise it as an Xbox controller.
  • spafmagicspafmagic Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    At the very least, we had a response now. However... another patch... another fail.
    edited December 2014
    I know the game is supposed to support non xbox pads, but the point of having the x360ce program is so that you DON'T have to use an Xbox Controller but instead use your own controller like a logitech device but have the game recognise it as an Xbox controller.

Because the button assignments would be all messed up Direct input and x-box controllers use different positions for their A,B,X, and Y buttons. It's why I refused to play on holodeck despite being able to switch to "x-box mode" on my f-310 because the assignments I had made were basically reversed, what I was used to being the 1 or A button for first slot now activated the 3rd slot and vice-versa. Really messing with my tray assignments.
    @Powerblast in game
    edited December 2014
    chuckwolf wrote: »
    Because the button assignments would be all messed up Direct input and x-box controllers use different positions for their A,B,X, and Y buttons. It's why I refused to play on holodeck despite being able to switch to "x-box mode" on my f-310 because the assignments I had made were basically reversed, what I was used to being the 1 or A button for first slot now activated the 3rd slot and vice-versa. Really messing with my tray assignments.

Same here, thats why im being patient and waiting for the fix to go live on holodeck..... 2 days to go....yaaaayyyyy, get my trekking fix again :P :)
    planet-space-sun.jpg
    edited December 2014
    Such a relief to be able to play again, thank you devs :)

Now, to figure out why my game is crashing all the time :/ Dont know if its the game itself or something to do my end
    planet-space-sun.jpg